Hi everyone. I have been following nerd fitness for about a month and a half now so I am a little late with this introduction. I love this community and want to participate more in the discussion.

My fitness history has been just about zero my whole life. I am a 26 year old, 5'9'', woman. As I grew up I was always extremely skinny and ALWAYS growing. It made me very self conscious but also gave me excuses and a false sense of security. I always told myself that I was just uncoordinated and awkward. That I would never be good at sports and I always thought I would never gain weight. People helped establish this lie by telling my that "I was so lucky that I was naturally skinny" and that "I didn't need to worry about what I ate". Well I am here to tell you that this last year I learned the hard way that all of that is not true.

I recently got promoted (Go me!) to a desk job where I don't move for 8 hours every day. I never knew I could gain weight so fast. I put on about 15 pounds in four months. I freaked out. For awhile I came up with excuses and pretended like I was loving my new curves (something I have never had. I have always been knobby knees and poky elbows). I tried to just ignore it. I don't know where I got my motivation from. I think I just couldn't take it anymore. I didn't feel like myself.

My first major obstacle was how to loose the weight. I had worked out at different periods of my life and my answer to this question was always to eat nearly nothing and run FOREVER on the treadmill. I HATE the treadmill but that is what I thought you were supposed to do. This time I wasn't going to do it. So my solution was to scour the internet for info. Mostly I was just looking for success stories for motivation. What I found was Nerd Fitness. In reading the articles it occurred to me, for the first time in my life, I could be strong. What me? strong? no way! I became infatuated with the idea. I also learned about the paleo diet. I was SHOCKED that bread is bad for you. Even 100% whole grain bread? What? 

That night I came home from work and I think I freaked out my boyfriend a little bit. I went through every cupboard and through away ALL grains and ALL sugar. 

Now...

I plan all my meals and go grocery shopping for the week every Sunday. Everything is paleo...with the exception of cheese. I have become a pretty good cook in a little over a month. The best part about this diet (Steve wasn't lying) is that you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight. It makes me so happy I could cry. Like I said, in the past I would very nearly starve myself and barely see results. Also I feel amazing. I have so much energy. I never feel that uncomfortable too full feeling and I never go into that dreaded food coma.

Now...

I work out in my house for about 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week. I started with the Beginner Bodyweight Workout and have been making sure to increase the difficulty a little bit every week. I also document every workout on an excel spreadsheet to keep myself honest and accountable. I am completely spent every time I do it but today I looked in the mirror and flexed my arms. I HAVE MUSCLES! Real ones. There really is a bump there. I can SEE it! I have NEVER been strong...ever. I cannot believe it. It really is about having the right plan. My progress has not been huge but I can definitely see it and the keeps me going. I am so excited to see how strong I can get. So much seems possible.  

Thank you for reading about me. I am excited to be here. To learn more and be apart of a community that just feels like my people. :)

• Like 1

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! Sounds like you are off to a great start. I'm glad paleo eating is agreeing with you - how exciting! I also think it is AWESOME that you are working out regularly and keep yourself accountable with a spread sheet. I hope you find what you are looking for here. :D