Main muscles and secondary muscles

Hey all,

I have the same training goals as Steve basically. Not training to focus on certain muscles such as curls for biceps, pulldowns for triceps etc. The exercises I do are Assisted Pull-Ups/dips, Squats with medicine ball, planks and push-ups. Effective exercises for a full body workout.

Is only having biceps or calves as a secondary muscle worked (based on looking at a strength training book) adequate or should I target? Having trouble wrapping my brain around the idea only doing the above mentioned exercises will tone and make a well rounded strong body.

Age 28

264.6 lbs

Active

Shawn & Sarah

Wilkes-Barre, PA

@NoMoWEIGHTing

Eventually you'll probably want to work more complex programming into your workouts, but for the foreseeable future I'd just do the full body stuff and work on dialing in your diet to produce the changes you're looking for. The above exercises you've mentioned are a pretty good start for a beginner.

Any particular reason you're not ready for barbell exercises? How tall are you? What is your target weight?

• Like 1

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

I'm 5'9 and I honestly don't have the strength. My shoulder flexibility trying to grab the bar behind me for squats is minimal, hurts too. I tried doing deadlifts but again my flexibility just isn't there yet. I think maybe 6 weeks of the above exercises along with tracking my calories on my fitness pal and stretching daily would be a good start thanks

Shawn & Sarah

Wilkes-Barre, PA

@NoMoWEIGHTing

Mu have no idea what my target weight is as I've been overweight my whole life so don't know what I'll look like at a particular weight. I've been told I carry my weight well and everyone guesses I'm 20 lbs more than I am so if I say I want to be 180 I may look it at 200. I would say more 15% body fat not ripped but defined

Shawn & Sarah

Wilkes-Barre, PA

@NoMoWEIGHTing

If you are overweight to the point that you can't get into position for the main lifts, then yea, keep doing what you're doing until then. But once you can, I'd start on a beginner barbell program like Starting Strength or StrongLifts as soon as possible. 

But, to lose the weight you're going to need to dial in the diet and just keep working out. Once you get down to where movement is easier, you can start weight training for real. 

• Like 3

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB