What made you smite today?

I don't know who thought this was a good idea but they took they entire IT department out of building and gave us a team that serves all of the plaza 5000+ people, I put in work tickets to have a few printer issues resolved it has been over two weeks and they are still on the wait list and listed as low priority.

The problem is that they got rid of all the firmware people (aka people who can fix stuff) and replaced them all with coder monkeys who are working with different Agencies creating the same damn program over and over again.  Seriously why can't every agency share the same database search engine that everyone else is using considering that if you were a Secretary for Agency X and went to Agency Z you wouldn't have to be trained in the same exact software. Seriously we have Secretaries come in and already know how to use the "specfic and unique" database without even being trained on it  and they say "Oh this is exactly like X just with a few tweaks in color" 

• Sad 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

So I'm being a receptionist for a couple months, and while I'm sitting there at the front desk in a nice blazer, dress slacks and pearl studs, a 60-something guy who rents office space breezes past me to pick up his mail.  This guy has seen me before but never properly met me, and it being mid-September now, he says, "Aren't you going back to school?"

Well no, oh elderly one, I'm not.  Because I have a college degree and I'm well into my thirties.  I may look ill at ease in office wear, and I may look young, but I've been an adult for quite some time and I'm getting real fucking tired of being treated like a kid.  It was just barely funny when I was 25.  It's not funny anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Just think of it this way Raincloak in a few years there will be lots of room to move up from all of them retiring or in my case dying on the job; we have people close to if not 80 years old still working as Engineers in my building. At some point they will have to retire and when they do it's going to be a mass exodus; there was a big hiring frenzy back in the early 80's. So to all the still young people (mid-30's) still stuck in mid-level jobs keep your chin up, we'll be running the place in the next 5 years.  

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

On 9/15/2017 at 1:22 AM, Raincloak said:

So I'm being a receptionist for a couple months, and while I'm sitting there at the front desk in a nice blazer, dress slacks and pearl studs, a 60-something guy who rents office space breezes past me to pick up his mail.  This guy has seen me before but never properly met me, and it being mid-September now, he says, "Aren't you going back to school?"

Well no, oh elderly one, I'm not.  Because I have a college degree and I'm well into my thirties.  I may look ill at ease in office wear, and I may look young, but I've been an adult for quite some time and I'm getting real fucking tired of being treated like a kid.  It was just barely funny when I was 25.  It's not funny anymore.

I almost had a come-to-Jesus meeting with an older colleague who was less-experienced than me when he got upset because I didn't stand up to shake his hand. He gave me some respect-your-elder crap, he was at most 14 years older than I am.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Your friend was probably insecure and looking for any respect he could get, Tank.  I don't think my guy (semiretired and highly educated) had that excuse.  He was just being patronizing. 

Unintentionally, to be fair, but it still ruffles my feathers. 

I get way more than enough babying from my family (despite being the oldest of all my sibs and cousins), and honestly, I still struggle to convince myself I'm an adult in the face of all that.  I just don't need that shit at work, too.

17 minutes ago, Raincloak said:

Your friend was probably insecure and looking for any respect he could get, Tank.

For sure.

18 minutes ago, Raincloak said:

He was just being patronizing. 

Possibly the reason he was being patronizing was due to insecurity.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

One of my group chats, one of the guys off to do his morning yoga with his six year old daughter.  "Men doing yoga... *condescending, dismissive laugh*"

Lady, I knit too.  And I do needlepoint.  And I bake.  Your sexist crap is unappreciated.

• Like 1

You're a ghost driving a meat coated skeleton made from stardust.  What do you have to be afraid of?

Current Challenge - Starting Anew

I guess the troll missed the bit about how great yogis are at sex.  And how baking brings all the chicks to the yard.  And making art by, hello, stretching fabric on a rack and then stabbing it over and over with a little pointy metal spike.

And if there's a more manly activity than doing sports with your kid, I don't know what it is.  I get such a warm fuzzy feeling when I see men bonding with their children, it's better than kittens.

(Said while eating his third oversized portion of french fries and his third battered, deep fried piece of fish)

Dad: "I'm intermittent fasting, I only eat one meal a day.  So I can eat whatever I want because the calories will all get used up by the time I start eating again because of the ketosis effect."

He saw a video on Youtube about it!

giphy.gif

• Confused 2

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

Open office environment. BIG office.... "dances with wolves" prairie kind of open space... you can see packs of hamsters roam the floors after office hours... the fridge area has its on micro-climate kind of big office.... etc etc .

Dunno where it comes from.. but some tools have picked up whistling tunes at irregular intervals... others tap their foot listening on their head-phones... bunch of 'em discuss private stuff loudly and laugh like Smurfs on nitrous oxide... ...and then you're "unsocial" for spending most your time with noise cancelling headphones on, just to get stuff done... aghhh :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

I was woken up at around one AM today by a mukade (Japanese giant centipede) biting me. It felt like being lit on fire. As if that wasn't bad enough, the damn thing escaped somewhere into my apartment and I'm equally terrified of finding it and of never knowing where it went. 

• Sad 1
On 5/24/2018 at 2:00 AM, Hiram McDaniels said:

(Said while eating his third oversized portion of french fries and his third battered, deep fried piece of fish)

Dad: "I'm intermittent fasting, I only eat one meal a day.  So I can eat whatever I want because the calories will all get used up by the time I start eating again because of the ketosis effect."

He saw a video on Youtube about it!

giphy.gif

The Keto diet is such a detailed great diet and it's so sad that people aren't doing it properly.  

I feel like if you don't do the keto properly it's worse on your health then not doing it..

You know how many 24oz SF Caramel Breve's I sell nowadays because they are on the "Keto diet"????  

Let me break that down..

4 oz Espresso

2 oz SF Syrup

18 oz of Half and half...

18 oz of half and half.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

I used to work at a coffee shop and I learned the biggest thing we sold by volume wasn't coffee.  It was milk.  Evidently many of us never lost our love for the warm boob juice...

• Haha 1

We have a project management system at work where my project is assigned 10% of one IT team's time.

That's a team of 6-to-8 people who can all spend half a day each week on my project.

In theory.

In practice, however...

The task for my project with the highest priority requires programmers that know a certain coding language. Only 2 of the team know that language. But those 2 are occupied with another project (that has a higher priority than mine), so they can't spare 10% of their time for me.

Bummer, but I can live with that. My project has 37 outstanding tasks, so if the 2 highest priority ones get shelved a bit, I'll deal with that. That leaves 35 other tasks, no?

Well, no...

Apparently IT doesn't work like that.

They don't start the "medium" priority tasks until the "high" priority ones are finished. So if the high priority ones are temporarily on hold, ALL of them are on hold...

10% = 0% here.

And then they wonder why none of the projects meet their deadlines...

• Sad 2

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!

I am so freaking fed up with being treated like I’m a fucking moron simply because I have boobs!!!!

Today’s episode took place in a local shop which sells fishing, camping, and outdoor gear in general.  I went in to get a couple of fishing rods for the kids so we could go out fishing over the summer.  My brother came with me into the shop, despite the fact that he has literally no interest in fishing and no intention of taking *anything* to do with it, but hey ho, we were in town together so went into the shop together. 

I walked led up to the loitering sales staff and asked if they had kids rods, “Sure” the guy replies, then turns towards my bf (the same one who knows nothing about fishing) and starts explaining to him about the rods, reels and tackle they stock and completely ignored me.  Now, this isn’t such a big deal, right?  Except this is something I experience CONSTANTLY.  

Any time I ask a man a technical question (which would imply that I have at least a basic understanding of the subject, you would think) they turn to my bf and speak to him on the subject, completely ignoring me while they do so.  This happens with our architect, the plumber, the builder, the electrician, at the garage, basically any time any sort of technical discussion of any kind whatsoever arises (and there happens to be a man in the room who they can assume must know more about the subject than I do).  I happen to have more experience of mechanics, plumbing, electrical, construction AND FISHING than my bf.  Unfortunately I also have boobs, which somehow negate all of that knowledge and experience. 

It wouldn’t be such an issue if it wasn’t something that happened so bloody often but it’s constant!  Seriously, what era do these guys think this is, the fifties????

Rant over.  I’m just glad there are some small corners of the world (like NF) where there are men who actually see women as...... (wait for it, this is really revolutionary) people.  Just, normal, regular people, who happen to have boobs.  To all you men, I say THANK YOU. Now please excuse me while I run off to calm down with a relaxing bubble bath while eating chocolates and gossiping with my girlfriends on the phone (not really). :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I still hate my job.  Woke up simmering with rage at the thought of going to work.  The daily news re: our government continuing its alarming careen towards fascism did not improve my mood.  I don't even know how I made it to to the end of my shift, a lot of staring hopelessly at screens was involved.  Which means I still have more rage-inducing minutiae crap to do tomorrow.  Oh yeah, and a bunch of bills and taxes are due/overdue.  I remain pissed off as hell at the universe in general.  And I'm pissed at climate change, and at getting old.  I dunno which is worse, watching my planet melt and die before my eyes, or knowing I won't be here to see the endgame in 70 or 80 years.

life's a bitch today.  Deep breaths aren't helping a lot.  I'm tired of helping and worrying about everyone but me, I want like a week or two off so I can do stuff for ME.  Guess a few mins for exercise and meditation will have to do...

• Sad 1