Why do you love weightlifting/strength training?

zdub

As I've only been lifting for a few months now, I am definitely still a novice. However, I can say that beginning to weightlift has been one of the best decisions I've made and I've fallen in love with it. Here are a couple of the things I love about weighlifting/strength training:

- You can't cheat in the weight room. I got this point from one of King_mob's recent posts. When lifting a weight raw, there's not much you can do to cheat. Bad form might let you use other muscles, but in the end you also might end up hurting yourself. A solid lift, with full range of motion and good form is EARNED; you can't cheat.

- It shows dedication and hard work. As a college student, I understand how cramming for a test works and am all too familiar with it to be honest. But with weightlifting, you can't cram for a heavy lift. It takes months and years of dedication and hard work to reach great condition. Time is a mandatory factor for getting stronger. If you had asked me 3 months ago if I could squat 135 lbs, breaking parallel, I would have said "Hell no." But today I'm confident I can walk into the gym and pull off 5 reps.

Both of these points just go back to feeling like I EARNED it. You earn a new PR with all the time and hard work you've put into getting stronger. And when you look back on all the hard work, it feels great.

So, why do YOU love weightlifting/strength training?

I used to feel that way about squats, til I fell in love with their sister Deadlift. There's so little to it. No worry about breaking parallel in a squat or cheating a curl: the weight is on the floor, and you get it off the floor, and that's it. Good form is good but there's really no bad lift so long as it's up and locked out.

I go in knowing I should be able to do the lift, I do the lift (or I get schooled for being slack or tired or ill, which is valuable if not fun) and I walk out feeling, frankly, like Samuel L Jackson in a kilt. And not just in the lifts I do well at: my bench is remedial but it's progressing, it's getting better through application of arm and heart and brain, and that makes it rock too.

Remember as kids our Dads were superhumanly strong? They'd do awesome impossible everyday things with engines and shovels and stuff and there's that feeling of mythic, supremely capable Dad Strength that I get.

Even though I'm new to strength training, my brief time with it has shown me a couple of things as to why it's great.

-It's a fantastic distraction. I'm going through a mighty depressing rough patch in my life where nothing is really consistent. Going to the gym gives me something that's always consistent. I must go on specific days and keep with the routine. Also, the actual workout itself helps keep your mind from outside problems. The only thing I focus on is my form, and how much weight I'm about to lift. It can be a real life saver in tough times. I'd rather distract myself with this than other, more unhealthy things.

-Sometimes it's just fun!

There isn't a lot i can add to this discussion that zdub hasn't already said very eloquently.

One thing though that i think very definitely contributed to me getting bitten by the iron bug, was the very real meditative state you can get into when lifting. Total focus, total concentration - you just blot the rest of the world out. A bit on the hippy side of things but that is something i really dig about lifting, and i think explains why it improves my (and a lot of other peoples from what i gather) mental state so much.

Are you eating while your reading this?

As has been said, it's the binary nature of it for me - you can either lift the bar or you cannot. If you cannot, you know for certain that one day, you will be able to. That's another good feeling - knowing that if you persevere, you will be rewarded and beat yourself. When you do you can look at the bar and think 'I couldn't lift that a week ago'

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Increased abilities in other sports pushes me more than the training itself. Nothing is quite so satisfying as seeing some huge guy's face when he gets up ended by some kid under 90 kg ^-^

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Timmy, I know what you mean when you talk about getting weird looks. Especially when I start to mount the lat pulldown machine backwards to do ham-glute raises. Get a lot of "WTF?" looks.

And like several people pointed out, being able to zone out is great. Partially the reason I HATE bringing my phone with me to the gym, although sometimes it's necessary. One of the campus gyms doesn't get service though, which is nice haha.

Anybody else not bring their phone to the gym or have feelings about it?

That's the most random inspiration: I don't have anywhere to do GHRs but we do have a pulldown machine. One for quiet mornings. :)

Also: phone goes on mute, but it's there because it's my notepad. Sometimes I'm on-call for work so I really have to have it with me anyway. They're a staple of modern life, so be mellow. It it doesn't get in the way of my lift, it's not my business.

There isn't a lot i can add to this discussion that zdub hasn't already said very eloquently.

One thing though that i think very definitely contributed to me getting bitten by the iron bug, was the very real meditative state you can get into when lifting. Total focus, total concentration - you just blot the rest of the world out. A bit on the hippy side of things but that is something i really dig about lifting, and i think explains why it improves my (and a lot of other peoples from what i gather) mental state so much.

Ditto. I remember going to the gym so many times and I'd walk in pissed off about something or other, but once I started getting the heavy lifts in I would focus so hard on them that I just didn't have any energy left to be upset anymore. (Though usually the bad mood would return).

I really, really, loved the strong lifts program. It was so simple, and efficient, and you really can start adding on the weight in a short amount of time.

Once you start hitting your BW on lifts I think it's just a really cool feeling to know that if you ever had to carry a person for whatever reason you could. And that's not something I could do a year and a half ago

Ditto. I remember going to the gym so many times and I'd walk in pissed off about something or other, but once I started getting the heavy lifts in I would focus so hard on them that I just didn't have any energy left to be upset anymore. (Though usually the bad mood would return).

I really, really, loved the strong lifts program. It was so simple, and efficient, and you really can start adding on the weight in a short amount of time.

Once you start hitting your BW on lifts I think it's just a really cool feeling to know that if you ever had to carry a person for whatever reason you could. And that's not something I could do a year and a half ago

I'm doing stronglifts as well (only been at it 2 weeks now) and I love adding weight every week. I didn't start at an empty bar as suggested for anything though. I felt like I was going to throw it across the room. I did start low enough that I should be able to add 5 lbs each workout for at least the first 6 weeks of the program. it's definitely a nice achievement to go in and hit a PR every workout. I know I couldn't complete 5 squats at 200 with good form a month ago, but I'm going to be hitting that mark soon.

I'm really looking forward to putting my BW up. The only one I can do it in now is the deadlift. I should hit BW squats by the end of the year, and I'm hoping for BW benches by March. I can't say how much I'm looking forward to it.

i used to run, but it's so much harder to track achievements and I feel like I'm much less consistent. If I miss a few days, the regression is huge. No so much with lifting.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

By far the best use of my strength is carrying drunk girls through parking lots.

Wait, that probably didn't sound right. It's their painful shoes! They ask for it! I swear I'm not abducting these women against their will.

\unless they look like they might be into that sort of thing

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Stress relief

Feeling of accomplishment

The joy of hearing the 23 year old, former collegiate power lifter say "That's more than I can do" when I shared that I can do 5x5, 285# benches (I hope tomorrow...). To be fair, he was 600# squat/deadlifter.

The feeling of "did I just lift THAT?" and remembering when I never thought I would be able to do it.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

The feeling of "did I just lift THAT?" and remembering when I never thought I would be able to do it.

That's a really touching comment and one that i think anyone who has ever strived to accomplish something or overcome something can relate to, i certainly can and it struck a chord with me. That's the thing that keeps me coming back to the bar, because of what i can't do with it, yet.

By far the best use of my strength is carrying drunk girls through parking lots.

Wait, that probably didn't sound right. It's their painful shoes! They ask for it! I swear I'm not abducting these women against their will.

\unless they look like they might be into that sort of thing

That's a touched comment in that your fucking touched in the head and most likely wanted by several international agencies.

To be fair though i knew going out in those heels was a mistake on my part and JD was a complete gentleman the whole time.

Are you eating while your reading this?

Yup. One has to have a goal when lifting. ^This is mine :) I think I could carry 1.5 girls now. Can't wait to make it a full 2.

It's easier when you don't care about their dignity.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

That's why I do it hard style. I'm a gentleman. Yeah.

Oblig: hard style is an actual thing in the KB world. Happy now that I explained the already tenuously funny joke?

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs