Workout Plan while Injured

Hi everyone! 

It was suggested to me to tell my tale here to see if I can get a workout routine again.

It's been about three months since I've been back the the gym due to a couple of somewhat-related injuries. Now please, do note that I have absolutely no idea what caused these. Just all of a sudden there was pain. It had even been awhile since I've been to the gym when each of these developed (due to work and family stuff).

For more of my history, my first thread is here;

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/62424-newbie-here/

I will add a TL;DR section at the end of this bit.

About mid January, I developed what I now know to be Meralgia Paresthetica in my right thigh. Which means that the lateral cutaneous nerve, or lateral femoral cutaneous nerve (the nerve on the outside of the thigh that goes up to the spine), is either being compressed or has been entrapped by muscles near the hip bone. Symptoms are numbness, tingling (pins n needles), and burning sensation (this one can be very painful). Okay, so this happens, can't do any circuit training or cardio anymore. I can still walk around and do that daily instead. At the gym I simply decide to focus on strength training/upper body. This goes on till the tail end of January where I stand up to go to work and sharp/acute pain shoots through my right hip. Can't even put any pressure on it. Decide it would probably be a good idea to go to the hospital, where I am told it is Bursitis. Bursitis! Two days before my 25th and I get something that you generally don't develop until your 50's! Happy Birthday to me. Okay, so told Bursitis, I get a steroid injection with a local anesthetic to help with it. Pain lessens, not having as many issues with the tingling or burning sensations (although the numbness is still present). Around the end of February, the pain starts to get worse. I see another doctor, get some x-rays, go see a Chiropractor. Told that due to the fact that my one nerve is compressed, it is causing all of my muscles from my knee to mid back (all on the right side) to be in a constant state of contraction. (Which I thought was kind of weird as I can still flex all the muscles related to it, but whatever.) And that because of this, the muscles are compressing my Sciatic Nerve. .. My Sciatic Nerve is being compressed because a nerve in my leg is being compressed. FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC. Why not. Since then, (well, about a day or two before really), I have been reduced to using a cane. I am unable to stand for more than 5 minutes with the pain kicking my ass (haha, get it?). I can drive for about 10 minutes before this happens but it is usually more bearable than standing/walking. I also have the same issue with most chairs. If I am not able to lounge out, the pain starts after about 30 minutes (unless it is a hard chair than more like 10 minutes). The best thing for it is to lay down. Or lounged somewhat upright on a bed.

TL;DR

This is the predicament I am in. I have a compressed Sciatic Nerve, an additional compressed nerve in my leg/hip, as well as Bursitis in the hip. All on the same side. I am unable to walk for more than 5 minutes. Sitting, chair dependent, between 10-30 minutes. 

So, I come here to ask for some help in developing some sort of workout routine to help keep me going as I'm falling into a funk here. My diet is starting to fail  because of this and it's just one big vicious cycle. I can't workout so I feel bad, eat some sort of comfort food with is incredibly unhealthy, then feel even worse after realizing what I just ate. I try to do what I can, which at this point is about 5 push-ups every now and then along with some dips (depending on where I am). I have really no idea what else to do! I have thought about getting a pull-up bar (can only really do about 4-5 in a session, max was 2 at a time (was also chin-ups, not able to do pull-ups yet) Has anyone else gone through something similar? What did you do if you have? All my doctors are telling me to rest but I have been for almost two months and I can't do it anymore.

Fortunately I had the whole 2 minutes of free time required to read your post.

My recommendation is to find out what's causing your hip issues. Get your xrays and take/send them to a very good orthopedic surgeon specializing in hip disorders in children and young adults (this may take a little effort and searching depending on your location) to rule out structural issues in the hip/pelvis. If that all looks clear then go find a good PT to check & fix your movement patterns, stability and mobility. 

• Like 1

Have you tried any light stretching or self-massage (by hand or with something like a tennis or lacrosse ball) on the affected area? If so, have you found anything like that to affect the pain, either for better or worse? If not, you might try some things along those lines, and/or fairly easy floor-based hip movements (lying knee raises maybe?). It's not really a workout, but I'm thinking that anything that gets the hip moving a bit without hurting, is unlikely to make things worse, and will probably help you feel a bit better about the situation, whether it really improves the condition or not. The "without hurting" part is key, though; if anything you try seems to exacerbate the problem, stop it.

Level 1 Human Adventurer

STR:2 DEX:0 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:2 CHA:0

Current Challenge

Accountabilibuddies: Adventure into the Verse

Thanks for all the replies.

Baconhunter, that's why I tried a TL; DR part at the end of the shory novel. Also said if you want more to go to the other thread. I would rather type a lot so all of the information is there than have something be missed. I am sorry that I am having a lot of issues at this time. Sorry all of this inconvienences you.

Vintage, thank you for reading all of that, I understand it is a lot. I have had xrays done of the entire area, knee to thoracic spine. Shows nothing. Absolutely nothing. I have been seeing a chiropractor for about three weeks now. I have no health coverage so I have to pay for everything out of pocket. Was considering massage therapy next, but might try to find a PT.

Eld, I have tried a few, terrified to try anything specific like using a tennis ball (or at least for around the hip). I will try to do more like that though, hip/leg raises. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1