[Moralitea] I wanna be a Girevik, like no one ever was!

Called Girya in Russian, this cannonball with a handle has been making better men and women for over 300 years. In Imperial Russia, "kettlebell" was synonymous with "strength". A strongman or weightlifter was called a girevik or a "kettlebell man".  - Pavel Tsatouline

I freaking LOVE Kettlebells. They're my cardio, strength, and mobility go to. Why? I hate jogging. I hate inefficient workouts that take an hour and work isolated groups and not my whole body. I hate having to go specific places to do said workouts.

I want my workout to be brutally quick, intense, and most important, efficiently hitting every muscle group in a short period of time. And be able to do that anywhere. So, Kettlebells. Hell yeah.

I also commute by bicycle. Why? Well several reasons: I'm cheap, it's a free workout, and I am conscious of the fact that we only get one earth. Plus being stuck in traffic in a car makes me miserable.  

Right now is a get-back-on-the-horse month, as I'm finally starting to test the water after a back injury in October destroyed my regimen. I'm slowly reintroducing kettlebells, and recently picked up a 24kg bell to say "Hell with it, this is my goal now". 

Current Long Term Goal:

To be able to do a 24kg Strong and Sinister 10x10 swings and 10x1 getups (each arm) within 15 minutes. 

Where I am now:

Kettlebells:

I'm currently rehabbing my back with low sets of Simple and Sinister, a great workout and ebook by Pavel. It consists of only swings and get ups for maximum strength increase. I find that one armed swings are doing wonderful things for building up my back muscles to protect my lower back after the injury.

Cycling:

Strava Page For Cycling.

• Like 1

Moralitea, Level 2 Flind Assassin
{STR 3|DEX 2|STA 4|CON 4WIS 2|CHA 2}

Incepto Ne Desistam.

Previous Challenges: 1,

You have your work cut out for you. What's going to be your first mission?

I'm feeling like lugging my KB to some funny places and do some getups as a laugh, but my first serious mission is going to be hitting a month of workout that I do three times a week consistently. I'm in the middle of it right now, with two weeks successfully completed.

Beyond that, my biggest challenge is getting my healthy lifestyle back into swing, as going to the chiropractor 3 times a week seemed to drain our willpower to cook as much healthy food as we usually do. 

Incepto Ne Desistam.

Took an off day from working out last night as the back was twingy and just did some dynamic stretching instead. It felt good to loosen everything up. Tomorrow will be the next workout, and Sunday will be a non-stop swing test :D

Incepto Ne Desistam.

What do you expect from yourself in a non-stop swing test? I haven't done anything resembling a swing test in ages if ever and I'm trying to think of what kind of numbers would be good, better, best.

To be honest, I've never done a swing test with a 24kg. I know that with my 30 lb at my peak I could crush 125 with great form. I'm not sure where that sits as my friend who's a personal trainer does about 225 :P

Incepto Ne Desistam.

What's the protocol?

Time, hands used, hand switches allowed?

No time, going for endurance until you think your form is no longer good enough to count reps anymore. I usually do mine one handed with switches every 25. I sometimes do two handed if I feel like I don't have much left.

Incepto Ne Desistam.

Thursday:

SxS

Swings:

10x3 per arm 24kg

TGU:

1x2 per arm 24kg

1x3 per arm 30 lb

Didn't bike today as my tire had a slow leak over night and I didn't feel like doing a fast change. 

Incepto Ne Desistam.

Forgot Sunday was Easter, so Sunday ended up being with my family and no time for the swing test. I did squeeze in a quick workout with the 6x10 swings ( 4 sets two handed, 1 left hand 1 right hand.), and then 1x6 TGU's each hand.

Hopping up to the 24kg from the 30lb has has shown me some slight flaws in my Get Up form, so I've gone back down to the 30lb for the majoriity of the sets to perfect it again.

Incepto Ne Desistam.

04/20/15

Breakfast: Juice (Orange, Lemon, Beets, Carrots)

Lunch: Stuffed peppers and rice

Dinner: Stuffed Pepper Leftovers with a small veggie stir fry

16.5 miles on the bike.

04/21/15

Breakfast: Juice (Orange, Lemon, Beets, Carrots)

Lunch: Stuffed peppers and rice leftovers on top of a salad.

Dinner: Beef, Broccoli, Snow Peas, and Carrot stir fry.

S&S:

6x10 swings

5x1 TGUs each arm.

Incepto Ne Desistam.

KB, biking, and bad back? I'll follow along. I'm also Strava-stalking you.

14-24kg is a big jump; you might consider adding in some pressing to build strength. At least that's what I had to do when I was stuck on the 12 forever.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

KB, biking, and bad back? I'll follow along. I'm also Strava-stalking you.

14-24kg is a big jump; you might consider adding in some pressing to build strength. At least that's what I had to do when I was stuck on the 12 forever.

Pavel kinda talks about that in his book, with a little science behind it. Essentially He advocates for his program to go from a 16kg-24kg-32kg. Supposedly the science behind it is the big change in weight sends a message to your body of "Get stronger NOW". I do like presses though,  So I might throw those in too. :)

I wondered who the Strava follow was! I'll have to follow you back!

Incepto Ne Desistam.

I'm not sure that there's really science behind it but yes, 8 kg jumps are common. If you have access to smaller jumps, leverage them but if you don't just realize that your first few months on the heavier weights, you need to be cautious and recover more thoroughly than you may have had to before. If you decide you're serious about the Girevik challenge, you will need some smaller jumps, 4 kg is reasonable but the real pros have them every 2 kg.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Pavel kinda talks about that in his book, with a little science behind it. Essentially He advocates for his program to go from a 16kg-24kg-32kg. Supposedly the science behind it is the big change in weight sends a message to your body of "Get stronger NOW". I do like presses though,  So I might throw those in too. :)

I wondered who the Strava follow was! I'll have to follow you back!

Hmmm, I think my body has a hard time getting that message sometimes. I ended up being a bell that in between sizes.

Who is Strava?

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hmmm, I think my body has a hard time getting that message sometimes. I ended up being a bell that in between sizes.

Who is Strava?

Strava is a smartphone app that uses your GPS to track cycling rides or jogging. It syncs up with a lot of things for data, such as my up24 wristlet or certain weight loss apps. It also automatically syncs to my Pebble Smartwatch and turns it into a cycling computer with speed, time, and distance travelled, which I find AWESOME as the watch does it natively, no need to download anything extra. 

Incepto Ne Desistam.

I like it because it allows you to directly compare yourself to other people who've biked the same routes as you. It will also synch the data with a heart rate monitor which I am anxious to try.

I think some people around here with segment times MUST be cheating. :tongue: I've been told I'm getting a heart rate monitor for our my anniversary gift, I'm really anxious to see how it turns out. :D

Yesterday:

Breakfast: Cheerios

Lunch: Beef stir fry

Dinner: Stir fry and store bought wonton soup

S&S: 6x10 Swings

3x1 TGU (WITH MY 24kg wooooo)

Threw in a .7 mile jog and walked the same back home with the wife last night. She can go farther as she jogs a lot, but we took the dog and I'm not a jogger so we did a short one. Felt pretty good actually.

Fridays are my only eat out day at work, so It's going to be an unhealthy lunch normally.

04/24/15

Breakfast: protein bar (I know, I know)

Lunch: Pizza & wings

Dinner: finishing up leftovers, not even sure yet

Incepto Ne Desistam.