Protein Shakes

I've only been drinking whey protein for a couple months now, but I like it. The shakes make it much easier to hit ,y protein goal. Up until now I have used my blender in the morning for a post gym shake. I combine almond milk, whey, and once in a while cashew butter. But pretty soon I'm starting Crossfit and it will be after work. I won't get home until about 45 minutes post workout.

So my question is how I should go about having my post workout shake. Should I bring something with me? If so, how does that work? If not, will I be waiting too long to consume protein?

Thanks for any advice.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

You may be relegated to old fashioned water and powder but it's all gravy. Just put the powder in a shaker in the morning and add water PWO. Not the fanciest thing in the world but it gets the job done.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Don't worry to much about the time after your workout, protein metabolism is raised for around 24 to 48 hours post anaerobic depletion and significant micro-trauma (or weightlifting as the proles call it).

Post workout nutrition is a very good idea from both a behavioural point of view (eating food is good) and a physiological point of view (there is a decrease in protein anabolism as you get further away from your workout, while protein catabolism stays fairly high). Here is a nice explanation of the mechanics if you are interested.

But don't sweat it. 45 minutes is fine. Bro-science will tell you otherwise, but that's what we have real science for, ignoring bro's.

Are you eating while your reading this?

While I do agree with KM's post I personally feel like (OMG bro science lead in?) it's an easy problem to solve and a good habit to have. I normally don't eat a proper meal until a couple hours PWO so if I don't have a shake or something PWO I'll start to get very jittery and cranky by the time I can shovel real amounts of real food into my face hole. It's a stop gap that isn't worth freaking out over if forgotten but a worthwhile habit nonetheless.

In addition, ooga booga anabolizmz comin to take my muzlez!

Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

In addition, ooga booga catabolizmz comin to take my muzlez!

FTFY :3

You're right though, that in terms of peace of mind, the post workout shake helps. I knoooow you have 24 hours or so, but sooner rather than later never hurt anyone, unless you're trying to drink protein WHILE you work out. Then you just upset teh tummy.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Hahah omg this must mean I need moar coffee. Not enough cortizolz to keep my brainz alertz.

I really like adding z's to things. I should talk to someone about thiz.

omg you newbz dont know anything if you dont do curlz to failure adn eat protien + bcaas intraworkout you get catabolizm straight away my god you r such newbz bet you dont even lift i can curl like 300lbs moar tehn you i bet newbz

EDIT: I'm tempted to delete the above as it's actually getting me angry reading it, despite having written it myself and being deeply satirical.

I always chug a litre of whole milk post workout, for reasons explained here.

Haha related courtezy of the YT channel of the video zomeone pozted in Catzpaw'z thread.

Theze guyz are great. Bezt zignoff line ever, "yall can do whatever the f**k yall wanna do."

Another option, if you can keep it during the day. This is my CF box, and we have a section for some member recipes. Entry four is our resident nutrition dude's old paleo post-workout thing. He's actually onto something else now, but a lot of our members still do this. It's kinda funny to see everyone huddled around after the WOD, omnomming this stuff out of tupperware, haha.

http://www.crossfitcentermass.com/?page_id=3086

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I love where this thread went...

I make my shakes in the morning and consume them post work out... so they sit about 12 hours. If you can do that, then go for it. Mine sit in the fridge at work then in the car or locker while at the gym (depending on which one is cooler). I use a combination of coconut milk, protein powder, fruit, nut butters, spinach, etc. It tastes a wee different when not made fresh but I don't even notice anymore. Personally, I don't care how long I metabolize protein I just need food type substance now! when I finish a workout which makes this the best option for moi.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I just put the scoop of whey in a thermos in the morning, add water after my workout and chug. I MUCH prefer it with milk, so now that I know that I don't actually need to chug it within 30 min of working out, if I'm going straight home from the gym I'll wait to use the milk there.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Personally, I don't care how long I metabolize protein I just need food type substance now! when I finish a workout which makes this the best option for moi.

Bingo.

Listening to your body will always see the better result.

Saying that i think it's important to point out where the conventional wisdom is wrong (omg you needz 4kg bcaas postworkout out or u wont gain omg newb), people can easily get duped into thinking something said with authority is a decent replacement for fact, for a good example refer to the broscience video a few posts up. Or anything i post, ever.

EDIT: To that end here is a very neat and easy to understand article on around workout nutrition.

http://xkcd.net/978/

I feel this applies to bro-science oh so very well.

Step 1: Bro makes up facts.

Step 2: lazy fitness article writers write article based on Bro's statements.

Step 3: When challenged on his views, the Bro quotes the fitness article written about his statements.

Step 4: Voila! Bro-science is born!

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

This thread has been amazing. Thanks for all the advice! I'm looking forward to reading all of these articles.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

In the other thread, these two geniuses were clucking and chuckling about the danger of dropping the barbell on your neck while benching using the suicide grip. Now I didn't want to further jack that thread and waste my breath talking about these guys, but with that grip, the bar would, if at all, roll fwd toward your chest, not back toward your neck. You have 5 fingers impeding the bar from rolling towards your neck vs. four using a conventional grip. There isn't enough brain power between the two of these to run a keychain flashlight.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance