• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

Doing Powerlifting Competition? Got questions? Ask them Here.

Think my Asics wrestling shoes would work? Been awhile since I even tried those on, but I think they'd still fit.

I believe wrestling shoes are fine and many people sue them, especially for deadlifitng since they have thinner soles.

Here's a slightly different question: I want to go to a PL meet, but probably later this year, sometime in fall. Powerliftingwatch doesn't currently show any meets in my state this year past August. Does this just means meets aren't listed that far in advance, or is that the off season, or what?

This has happened to me, even with my state USAPL website not listing meets right away. The one I'm competing at in July just got posted. The nice thing about powerlifitng being such a small sport (USAPL only has about 5200 registered members), is that you can e-mail your state chair or whatever POC is on your state site and ask if they know about any other meets coming up near you that just haven't been listed yet for whatever reason (mine hadn't been officially registered with USAPL national or something like that yet). I found out about the July one 6 weeks before it ever got listed.

think this warrants 3 threads? I feel like the confusion between federations alone are a lot in PL let alone mixing in strongman or WL, which both have their own set of rules and idiosyncracies.

If not carry on, just an idea :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree. Will rename the thread into a PL one since it's all been questions there thus far and make one for each of the others as well.

Timely, I'm doing my first PL competition in a few months!

I have a weight class question! Currently I'm weighing in about 66kg and within the last 9 months or so I've been 61kg. So I'm wondering whether I should aim to drop some weight to get to <63kg. Based on previous experience, to do that I will have to track calories and I find that a little depressing and tedious on a long-term basis. 

As this will be my first competition I'm torn between just going as whatever weight I happen to be, or putting in the effort as it's proportionally not much weight to lose. Any advice? 

Like others said, don't stress yourself out about weigh ins for your first comp, compete at whatever you weigh in at. If you want to lose it just for you, go for it. Even now, I just use competitions as a goal for my weight loss it gives me another motivator to stay on my shit, I don't really care too much about where I weigh in.

So... has NF hit some type of critical mass of newbie strength? It seems like in a pretty short period we have a shit pile of members doing their first contests. These are exciting times.

There's a massive upswing in people competing in powerlifting in general, from what I can tell.

I think it's a combination of barbell sports getting a bit more popular as SS says, probably due to crossfit, and the fact that I've been kind of pushing it a bit more lately as far as mini-s, letter of intent, etc. We also are getting more and more members all the time, so there's naturally going to be more people who want to compete as well.

Great to see all of this info being combined into 1 thread.

copied from my previous thread:

As far as how an actual meet runs, I would like to know how long a meet lasts ( so I can plan food/drink and such), how long will I generally have between lifts, what kind of strategy should I use...or am I seriously already overanalyzing things and should just focus on showing up and moving the weight..

I know I will still need to get a singlet and, apparently, longer socks.

It is very dependant on the number of people lifting. In a small meet where you have a single flight of 10 people, you're only going to have about 10-12 minutes between attempts. Once weight is on the bar, you have 1 minute to complete your lift. Adding weight typically only take 15-20 seconds between, so 1:20 per person. They'll then give a short break to warm up for the next lift.

In larger competitions where there are 2 flights with 15 lifters per flight, it could take 20 minutes between attempts on a given lift, so an hour for the flight. Then you ahve an hour wait while the other flight goes with you warming up toward the end of it, then you go to the next. In total it could take 6 hours just for the lifitng. This is the extreme though. You also want to show up 2 hours early to weigh in, get equipment checked and such. Then there are awards at the end of the day if you want to stick around for that.

All in all, don't plan anything else for the day you are competing.

And yeah, I bring a backpack of granola bars and a sandwich or something, along with a few gatoraids.

I'm surprised USAPL is that small. The UK IPF affiliate had over 1500 members last year.

It's probably just because there are so many other options here. Even if I agreed with the IPF's politics I wouldn't be a member since they only run one meet in my state per year. RPS, IPA, and 100% Raw are all better represented here.

It is very dependant on the number of people lifting. In a small meet where you have a single flight of 10 people, you're only going to have about 10-12 minutes between attempts. Once weight is on the bar, you have 1 minute to complete your lift. Adding weight typically only take 15-20 seconds between, so 1:20 per person. They'll then give a short break to warm up for the next lift.

Sorry to jump on this one but in IPF it's one minute to start the attempt.  You can take as long to finish as you like as long as you are on the platform and starting the attempt within 1 minute of being called.

WL you have to complete the attempt within the given time.

This has happened to me, even with my state USAPL website not listing meets right away. The one I'm competing at in July just got posted. The nice thing about powerlifitng being such a small sport (USAPL only has about 5200 registered members), is that you can e-mail your state chair or whatever POC is on your state site and ask if they know about any other meets coming up near you that just haven't been listed yet for whatever reason (mine hadn't been officially registered with USAPL national or something like that yet). I found out about the July one 6 weeks before it ever got listed.

In total it could take 6 hours just for the lifitng. This is the extreme though. You also want to show up 2 hours early to weigh in, get equipment checked and such. Then there are awards at the end of the day if you want to stick around for that.

All in all, don't plan anything else for the day you are competing.

That's awesome advice to contact a POC for your state.  I've only been using powerliftingwatch and the USAPL sites to try and find meets close by and have consistently come up with zero.  I might try this. If I can find a meet nearby, I'll definitely sign up for the NF team.

And yes, the length of the meet (insert dirty joke here) is what makes it hard for me to ask the missus to attend.  Though she said she had a better time than expected during the strongman comp.  I was able to sit and joke and talk with her between events and attempts.  

I don't know if you get to do that during PL meets.

And yes, the length of the meet (insert dirty joke here) is what makes it hard for me to ask the missus to attend.  Though she said she had a better time than expected during the strongman comp.  I was able to sit and joke and talk with her between events and attempts.  

I don't know if you get to do that during PL meets.

There's usually an hour or two between lifts, depending on how many flights there are, so plenty time to BS. Unfortunately PL as a spectator sport is just plain boring. Don't put your SO or friends through that hell. I usually just ask the wife to come for one lift, the squat so far, and then she bounces.

There's usually an hour or two between lifts, depending on how many flights there are, so plenty time to BS. Unfortunately PL as a spectator sport is just plain boring. Don't put your SO or friends through that hell. I usually just ask the wife to come for one lift, the squat so far, and then she bounces.

Yea that's what I thought.  Unfortunately she doesn't drive, lol so its all or nothing.

Sorry to jump on this one but in IPF it's one minute to start the attempt.  You can take as long to finish as you like as long as you are on the platform and starting the attempt within 1 minute of being called.

Oh no, jump away. Thanks for the correction.

Yeah, Wifey came last time for support, and I keep telling he she doesn't have to in the future, though she insists on coming. Sitting there for 6 hours to watch me for a grand total of 30 seconds per attempt must be boring as hell. I do come out for the first attempt or two of the other flight, but even then, she's sitting there for roughly 5 hours of it by herself.

No it's mostly the same in WL. You just have to start moving the bar before the time expires.

That's true for the pulls and the first phases of the jerk but you will see some pretty drawn out recovery efforts after getting pinned or chasing down wild bars. 

Thanks everyone for chiming in on the weight issue. It seems clear to just forget about the weight on the scale for the moment and focus on the weight on the bar :) 

(my GBPF membership card arrived in the post today - exciting!)

Thanks everyone for chiming in on the weight issue. It seems clear to just forget about the weight on the scale for the moment and focus on the weight on the bar :)

(my GBPF membership card arrived in the post today - exciting!)

Shiny! Which region are you?

I'm a little spoiled in that Grant comes to all my competitions, bakes flapjacks and acts as unofficial photographer. He's now far more popular in British powerlifting than I am!

The wifey sat and played on his laptop most of the europeans.  Didn't even take care of the social media stuff that I'd asked him to do.

That's true for the pulls and the first phases of the jerk but you will see some pretty drawn out recovery efforts after getting pinned or chasing down wild bars. 

I actually have a follow on question regarding this.  I got awarded I jerk I was sure counted as a failure (I'd take it any way because it got me a medal.)

I had stabilised the weight overhead and as I got the buzzer for down I wibbled and lost the weight.  I'm pretty sure that in the video I'm down before the buzzer sounds and that this is a fail.  Am I right in thinking this?

Yeah, that may have been a small gift from the judging gods. This was a smaller meet with no jury? A lot of the time the judges in small meets aren't fast enough to react to this even though it is technically supposed to be a no lift if you don't maintain control (read: stay motionless) to the signal. In a case like yours, if I'm understanding it correctly that you lost the bar right at the down signal or juuust a little before, most of the local judges around here would warn you to control your bar until the signal but wouldn't bother overturning. That said, if you have more attempts you'd better make damn sure to show control on them because they'll be watching for it. In bigger meets the judging is a little more strict and if the judges don't catch it the jury could overturn it if they felt you didn't maintain control to the signal.

Even after performing a good lift and receiving the down signal you can still have the decision reversed if you fail to control the bar down to the level of the shoulders which again should be an overturn but at small meets earns a warning most of the time. If no one said anything the judges probably either didn't notice or didn't care. Either way, take the medal and rejoice in the small victory. As a lifter for every one you think you got away with there'll be a handful that get taken away.

Yeah, that may have been a small gift from the judging gods. This was a smaller meet with no jury? A lot of the time the judges in small meets aren't fast enough to react to this even though it is technically supposed to be a no lift if you don't maintain control (read: stay motionless) to the signal. In a case like yours, if I'm understanding it correctly that you lost the bar right at the down signal or juuust a little before, most of the local judges around here would warn you to control your bar until the signal but wouldn't bother overturning. That said, if you have more attempts you'd better make damn sure to show control on them because they'll be watching for it. In bigger meets the judging is a little more strict and if the judges don't catch it the jury could overturn it if they felt you didn't maintain control to the signal.

Even after performing a good lift and receiving the down signal you can still have the decision reversed if you fail to control the bar down to the level of the shoulders which again should be an overturn but at small meets earns a warning most of the time. If no one said anything the judges probably either didn't notice or didn't care. Either way, take the medal and rejoice in the small victory. As a lifter for every one you think you got away with there'll be a handful that get taken away.

It was the Scottish national championships, but for all the qualifying totals and organization that goes into it the judging still seems very lenient.

And I'm probably paying off my weightlifting debt in powerlifting right now.

Oh no, jump away. Thanks for the correction.

Yeah, Wifey came last time for support, and I keep telling he she doesn't have to in the future, though she insists on coming. Sitting there for 6 hours to watch me for a grand total of 30 seconds per attempt must be boring as hell. I do come out for the first attempt or two of the other flight, but even then, she's sitting there for roughly 5 hours of it by herself.

Yeah, best to have a talkative SO who makes friends easily.  Course Christi having Gabe sort of helps with that...

It was the Scottish national championships, but for all the qualifying totals and organization that goes into it the judging still seems very lenient.

And I'm probably paying off my weightlifting debt in powerlifting right now.

Yeah sounds about right. It's the same way in the states. Even at the national meets you have judge and jury panels that are 95% senile old folks who alternate between super strict and super lenient for no discernible reason. I'm mostly convinced the judging is only more strict at these meets because you have double the grumpy old dudes watching who'll decide they don't like a lift enough to find a reason to red light it seemingly at random.

It's so bad that in the last two years I've seen a judge literally fall asleep in his chair during a session and another fall and hit his head on the competition weights between sessions and have to get ambulanced out of the event.

Pretty grim. We have that at powerlifting too.

Heads up to new competitors, if you have young looking refs they are probably going to be on the ball. So sink the squats.

• Like 1