• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

Doing Powerlifting Competition? Got questions? Ask them Here.

Does anyone here use Nose Tork or smelling salts? Does it add pounds to the bar?

Curious about this one. Almost everyone at my comp was using it. I thought about it then realized probably not the smartest time to try it for the first time

Does anyone here use Nose Tork or smelling salts? Does it add pounds to the bar?

It won't give you strength you don't have but it might make you a bit more alert for an attempt.

Curious about this one. Almost everyone at my comp was using it. I thought about it then realized probably not the smartest time to try it for the first time

Try is in training, and keep the salts far away from your face while they're knew.  As they start to weaken then you can bring it closer to your face.

For anyone who's done a comp already, what do you think of this article? It's about how to select your attempts going in and seems sensible to me, but wondering if any of you have different perspectives or things to add. 

http://www.dellanave.com/powerlifting-attempt-selection-for-not-dummies/

Excellent write up.  I'd add 2 things

1) if you have a twinge somewhere during a lift, seriously consider skipping the rest of your lifts (at least of that exercise).  I've seen guys carried out of the gym.  I can't believe that it "just happened with no warning".  Don't let adrenaline/ego overpower your brain.  None of us are getting rich from this, but you can get a lot poorer (but wiser).

2) Don't even think about "competing" or tracking your "competitors" til at least your 3rd or 4th meet.  The first couple of meets, your only competitors are past you and the iron.  and realistically for most of us, that is all that will ever matter.  

• Like 1

I was worried about not listening to the commands on the lifts.  I made a little voice memo for my Ipod with the Squat and Bench commands to listen to during warmups so I can get used to the slower pace and, hopefully, it will feel more natural come competition time.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback! 

Yes my first aim for my first comp is basically to post a score for each lift. After that, it would be nice to get 9 completed lifts. After that, well, a PB in something would be great (looking at you, deadlift...). 

There's an open meet near me in just over a month. I had planned to find a meet sometime this fall, by which time I think I can crack a thousand at least; in a month I can put up maybe 850 total, and there's a voice telling me I'd be embarrassed to even show up. Someone tell me I'm being silly.

Also, what the heck are the categories in these charts? "International elite" is pretty self-explanatory, and "masters" is an age category, but does "class I-IV" mean anything in particular...?

Your first comp should always just be about making a total.

Just getting up on the platform takes guts and often the lowest lifts get the biggest support from the other lifters and the crowd.

There's an open meet near me in just over a month. I had planned to find a meet sometime this fall, by which time I think I can crack a thousand at least; in a month I can put up maybe 850 total, and there's a voice telling me I'd be embarrassed to even show up. Someone tell me I'm being silly.

Also, what the heck are the categories in these charts? "International elite" is pretty self-explanatory, and "masters" is an age category, but does "class I-IV" mean anything in particular...?

I had a whopping 860 total in my first (and only) meet. I look back and I am definitely glad I did it. So I agree with SpecialSundae just go for it. It's pretty awesome to hang out with really strong folks and pick up some tips etc...

The upside of lifting "lighter" than the big boys and girls is that you will probably be in the first flight, so the crowd will be into it and give you lots of encouragement :)

Your first comp should always just be about making a total.

Just getting up on the platform takes guts and often the lowest lifts get the biggest support from the other lifters and the crowd.

I second this. I was the weakest person at my strongman comp and definitely received the most support and cheering on.

The categories are just ways of comparing people. In larger meets, they might be used to organize flights.

I had the lowest or near lowest lifts in almost all my lifts my first meet. People are going to be super encouraging. This is not a 'Bro" crowd, it's a crowd of super supporitve people that want to see the sport succeed and see everyone make their lifts.

The categories are just ways of comparing people. In larger meets, they might be used to organize flights.

This. They mean nothing beyond grouping people at some meets, or being able to classify what level of lifter you are beyond just using your wilks.

These charts look to be based on a Russian classification chart I've seen around the Internet a few times.

In the case of these charts, master refers to the Russian "master of sport" classification.  Elite meant you'd be looking to fo internationals and international Elite you'd be looking at a podium finish for internationals.

Hi guys, I have a powerlifting meet this Saturday. I originally signed up to compete in the 114 lbs weight class, thinking I could cut down to that weight. I got pretty close at 115.5 lbs last week, but suddenly I'm 119 lbs this morning (I switched scales between these two weigh ins since I came home from college). This is my second meet, and I don't expect to be setting any records, so it may not be worth cutting weight at all. I have a 2-hour weigh-in so I know I can't do anything extreme. Is it advisable or possible for me to cut 5 pounds of water weight in a week, or should I just start bulking up now?

Hi guys, I have a powerlifting meet this Saturday. I originally signed up to compete in the 114 lbs weight class, thinking I could cut down to that weight. I got pretty close at 115.5 lbs last week, but suddenly I'm 119 lbs this morning (I switched scales between these two weigh ins since I came home from college). This is my second meet, and I don't expect to be setting any records, so it may not be worth cutting weight at all. I have a 2-hour weigh-in so I know I can't do anything extreme. Is it advisable or possible for me to cut 5 pounds of water weight in a week, or should I just start bulking up now?

I probably wouldn't, but I was following water weight cutting regime that involved drinking A LOT of water in the days leading up to it and then reducing water 2 or 3 days before the meet.  I'll try to find the link.

Just show up and compete where you fall.

• Like 2

Just show up and compete where you fall.

Not always an option. Often you have to notify by a deadline that you changed weight class and not being the weight class you notified can result in not being able to lift (unless you can get into the class within the hour and a half window).

Agreed with SS. Probably depends heavily on the profile of the event. Doing an USAPL event here in Minneapolis and they've specifically said you change even on day of the event. They would just prefer you don't since it makes bookkeeping a pain for them.  That said, I'm sure once you get to the upper echelons of comps, or are competing for any sort of record or something you probably want to be pretty strict about listings.