• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

Doing Powerlifting Competition? Got questions? Ask them Here.

So... 3 days and counting until I do this for real.  Did anyone else have the desire to hurl at the thought of lifting in front of a bunch of strangers?  

• Like 2

So... 3 days and counting until I do this for real.  Did anyone else have the desire to hurl at the thought of lifting in front of a bunch of strangers?  

Haha when I did my strongman comp my nerves were pretty much dialed past 10, but after the first event I calmed down completely.

I assume once you get the first squat in, you'll be good.

I train occasionally in a group, but yeah... once you get your squat in it becomes fun, I promise :) 

Yep. I was shaking when I did my first squat. I didn't really calm down until after bench was over. But bench makes me nervous because I'm terrible at it.

Was shaking at deadlifts for a different reason.... too much, nay, the perfect amount of pre-workout.

• Like 3

yes, this can be an issue.  Also if you are used to lifting facing a wall, it may be disorienting to have open space (and faces) in front of you.  The head judge will be in front and usually a little to one side of you during the squat.  Just start with an easy weight and go with it.  You won't be the only first timer and we all remember what it was like.

Apparently I was making a bigger deal of it than it was. As soon as I got the weight on my back, I pretty much blocked everything out except the ref giving the commands.

• Like 8

Apparently I was making a bigger deal of it than it was. As soon as I got the weight on my back, I pretty much blocked everything out except the ref giving the commands.

Well.....

We're gonna need a better write up than that.

• Like 1

So this one time at Nerd Camp, I participated in my first ever powerlifting competition and came away with the highest total among the ladies...

This was obviously a very informal, friendly setting (albeit wet and chilly), but I had an amazing time and really want to narrow my focus in on powerlifting so that I can do that again. :welcoming:

There's a meet in my state in November. I had a look at the results of previous years and I would've placed with the numbers I put up at Camp, so I'm strongly (see what I did there?) considering entering. I know I absolutely need USAPL membership and a singlet. I think I have everything else I'd need (long socks, undershirt, shoes).

I suppose my main question (for Gainsdalf, Spezzy, and anyone who's been to a friendly NF meet) is just what sorts of differences can I expect? I figure there are obvious things like a weigh-in and the judge's commands, but maybe I'm missing stuff. I wouldn't have thought to bring food, for example, until I saw that video!

• Like 3

write up here:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/67888-my-1st-pl-meet/

I was waiting to get to a computer to do it...its such a PITA to do more than a couple sentences on my phone.

Great idea Drazen.  Here's the link to mine:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/70264-2015-twin-cities-open-rooks-starts-competing/

So this one time at Nerd Camp, I participated in my first ever powerlifting competition and came away with the highest total among the ladies...

This was obviously a very informal, friendly setting (albeit wet and chilly), but I had an amazing time and really want to narrow my focus in on powerlifting so that I can do that again. :welcoming:

There's a meet in my state in November. I had a look at the results of previous years and I would've placed with the numbers I put up at Camp, so I'm strongly (see what I did there?) considering entering. I know I absolutely need USAPL membership and a singlet. I think I have everything else I'd need (long socks, undershirt, shoes).

I suppose my main question (for Gainsdalf, Spezzy, and anyone who's been to a friendly NF meet) is just what sorts of differences can I expect? I figure there are obvious things like a weigh-in and the judge's commands, but maybe I'm missing stuff. I wouldn't have thought to bring food, for example, until I saw that video!

Guess I've never been to an in-person NF meet, but the biggest difference between lifting at home in a simulated meet and lifting at a meet was just the amount of time.  You have long gaps between your lifts so you need to make sure to pay attention to where flights are and how soon you'll be up (i.e. when do you have to start warming up).  This sort of ties into the food thing you mentioned.  Since you have so much time between lifts, you'll want to have at least a few things munch on.  I said this in my lifting write-up but I had a protein shake and a PowerBar right after my bench attempts so as not to be starving going into my Deadlifts.  

Pauses on bench. Major thing! Handout can also be make or break.

They may also be a lot stricter on bench in terms of making sure heels and glutes stay down.

I would say that hitching on deadlift is something to be very aware of, may not be picked up at Camp, but I've heard USAPL are more lax on red lighting hitches than most IPF affiliates.

First, you killed it, I was constantly impressed with the weights your were putting up.

As far as atmosphere, I tried to make the point as people were leaving but many didn't hear me, but it's much the same. Everyone cheering and encouraging each other and offering helpful advice here and there in very polite ways.

Technically as far as the meet, judging is a big one as they'll be strict on form where we weren't. I think you were one of the people I was talking about in my facebook post though when I said I was mighty impressed on form, but can't say for sure as there were so many lifts and I was too busy trying to run things. Easiest thing would be to throw up some form checks of heavy singles and we'll let you know if we see anything you might get red lighted on.

There are weigh ins and if you're cutitng calories and water, it can get complicated. My advice is to just not care, show up, weigh in where you weigh in, and have fun lifting where you fall. If you want to get more compeitive with it after a few competitions, then you can start playing those games.

Like Rooks said, food. A standard meet is about as long as ours was as we took about 4 hours, slightly less. Good idea to bring food to snack on in case you need it. If you're not eating until after weigh ins, you want to bring an entire easy on the stomach meal to eat right after weigh ins to up your energy. If not, I usually just bring 3 containers of gatorade and a bunch of granola bars.

Guess I've never been to an in-person NF meet, but the biggest difference between lifting at home in a simulated meet and lifting at a meet was just the amount of time.  You have long gaps between your lifts so you need to make sure to pay attention to where flights are and how soon you'll be up (i.e. when do you have to start warming up).  This sort of ties into the food thing you mentioned.  Since you have so much time between lifts, you'll want to have at least a few things munch on.  I said this in my lifting write-up but I had a protein shake and a PowerBar right after my bench attempts so as not to be starving going into my Deadlifts.  

We actaully had about the same amount of time. We had two flights of about 12-15 lifters and even though we weren't timing, we were at about a minute between lifts. If anything our waits were slightly longer.

• Like 2

And like you said, commands. I just practice them in my head, not doing each one until I say it, and it's always been good enough for me.

For lift offs, I never do them in ym workouts, so they're always an added bonus help for me at comps. They make a solid difference, but I never consider them in picking my attempts or anything.

For lift offs, I never do them in ym workouts, so they're always an added bonus help for me at comps. They make a solid difference, but I never consider them in picking my attempts or anything.

An untested lift off can be a huge negative for women, at least. You're too big to get pulled off the bench, and I don't think you arch as much, but for smaller women (at least) a bad lift off can seriously dent your bench total.

• Like 2

An untested lift off can be a huge negative for women, at least. You're too big to get pulled off the bench, and I don't think you arch as much, but for smaller women (at least) a bad lift off can seriously dent your bench total.

Agreed, I'm super picky about my liftoffs. I hate when someone takes a liftoff as a serious LIFT off and gets my shoulders off the bench in the process. GRRR.

• Like 1

Personally, I train doing my own lift-offs (i.e. no assistance) so I just did that in competition as well.

We actaully had about the same amount of time. We had two flights of about 12-15 lifters and even though we weren't timing, we were at about a minute between lifts. If anything our waits were slightly longer.

During my comp, we had 3 flights of about 12-15 lifters on our platform. I usually started warming up after the 1st rep of the 3rd flight as I was near the top of the 1st flight. Overall though... you just need to pay attention to how many flights there are on your platforms and understand when you need to go.

Never occurred to me....since I obviously fall into the "too big to worry about that" category.

I train solo, but generally take the lift off.  Figure it saves a few calories of energy for the actual lift.

I find I'm getting to the point now where I need my wife to lift off for me during training so I don't strain my shoulders pulling the weight into position.

Also I have trouble judging the height for handoff to her, apparently I tend to pull her shoulders off of the bench because I hold the bar too high. So I know that problem exists

First, you killed it, I was constantly impressed with the weights your were putting up.

As far as atmosphere, I tried to make the point as people were leaving but many didn't hear me, but it's much the same. Everyone cheering and encouraging each other and offering helpful advice here and there in very polite ways.

Technically as far as the meet, judging is a big one as they'll be strict on form where we weren't. I think you were one of the people I was talking about in my facebook post though when I said I was mighty impressed on form, but can't say for sure as there were so many lifts and I was too busy trying to run things. Easiest thing would be to throw up some form checks of heavy singles and we'll let you know if we see anything you might get red lighted on.

There are weigh ins and if you're cutitng calories and water, it can get complicated. My advice is to just not care, show up, weigh in where you weigh in, and have fun lifting where you fall. If you want to get more compeitive with it after a few competitions, then you can start playing those games.

Like Rooks said, food. A standard meet is about as long as ours was as we took about 4 hours, slightly less. Good idea to bring food to snack on in case you need it. If you're not eating until after weigh ins, you want to bring an entire easy on the stomach meal to eat right after weigh ins to up your energy. If not, I usually just bring 3 containers of gatorade and a bunch of granola bars.

Thank you so much! :triumphant:

I'm not super concerned about the weigh-in. I think I'm still a solid 15 or 20 lbs from the next class down, so I'd rather focus on getting the weight I'm lifting up than trying to cut that much down too fast. I'll definitely toss some form check videos up soon!

• Like 1

It looks like no one's posted here for a while, but I have a question, so hopefully people still check this. I've never competed before and am feeling a bit inspired to compete in a powerlifting competition for the first time as I've been on a consistent workout schedule the last few months and I think it would help me stay motivated.

I checked, and the next USAPL meet in my area is on July 9th. Part of me wants to buy a singlet and just go for it. The other part of me thinks I should wait until the fall. There are 6 weeks until the meet, and I have two weeks of training, then two weeks of vacation right in the middle (in a small town in Italy, so I wasn't even going to try and find a gym), and then another two weeks of regular training/prep for the meet. Is this a bad idea? I've never competed before, so my goal at this point is just to go and compete for the sake of competing.

If I do compete July 9th, what would be a productive use of my two weeks of vacation, knowing that I most likely will not have access to a gym?

• Like 1

In general, yes do it.  Your first time out is to figure out how to navigate a meet, so the training break won't matter that much.  

For the time without the gym I'd work on basic bodyweight stuff.  Squats of course, pushups (whatever variation you can do), and carrying as much as you can.