• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

Doing Powerlifting Competition? Got questions? Ask them Here.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:26 AM, momoxstarx said:

1) what brand of wrist wraps do you recommend?

2) was anyone just as clueless as i am about shoes?

3) anyone else use vibrams in training? what are you thoughts crossing over to actual squat/deadlift shoes?

4) what are some recommended squat/deadlift shoes?

1) I've used some 24" Titan Wrist Wraps that El Exorcisto gave me way back in the day, and now I have a pair of 20" Gangsta Wraps from Slingshot.  The Gangsta Wraps feel much higher quality.  They stretch better and the thumb wrap system is better and easier to get off after they are wrapped tight (IPF doesn't allow thumb loop to be on during the lift).  But like others have said, don't sweat getting some if you don't use them right now.  Just have fun. 

2) Just gotta use what you like.  Since you have only have 2 months stick to what you are use now which I assume is Vibrams, but see the answer to #3.  

3) I trained almost exclusively in my Vibrams for a long time but switched over to using Nike Romaleos for my Squats and Bench about 8 months before my competition.  Vibrams aren't allowed in most comps (which is stupid IMO), but realistically, just find a pair of zero rise shoes that aren't toe shoes.  Personally, I love my New Balance Minimus shoes.  I know Bryce Lewis has said he uses, I think, the Inov-8 Bare-XF 210.  Been curious about those for awhile, but whatever.  Anything zero rise shoe would be fine.  Personally, I don't like chucks at all since they squish my toes.  

4.  Again, I'd say just stick to a zero-rise for this competition if that's what you are using now.  Changing to a squat shoe with a heel is just going to mess with your squat at this point.  If you want to start experimenting with squat shoes post competition, go for it.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the useful information!! so an update at 1 week out (competition 4/29) and then some last minute questions.

update since feb:

• got 12" titan wrist straps, tried them on, threw them off. i no like
  • got reebok legacy lifter shoes and they are amazing
  • got SBD knee sleeves. they are amazing except when putting them on
  • overworked my tailbone and caused aggravated disc..
  • had to recover for almost a month and couldnt train
  • recovered finally from tailbone early april. but immediately had sciatica and piriformis issues
  • recovery again for a week
  • changed weight class from 57kg to 63kg... 
  • finally better mid april. oh no wait.
  • sick with flu last weekend. and just started back at gym with coughing last night...
  • panic ensues

so questions!!:

1. my weight is sitting at an ugly 64.5kg right now because of all the stuff i had to eat to recover from flu.. what do you recommend to shed 2kg in a week? Right now im planning on upping water, going to sauna most nights, drinking 1 replacement liquid meal, and if need drink all liquid meals.
  2. my last week to D day looks like this: Sunday- last heavy singles; Mon- rest+mobility; Tues- 50% workout; Wed- "cardio"; Thurs- bodyweight circuit+practice commands with barbell; Fri- equipment check+keep calm. Would you change anything from this?
  3. How much food should i take to the meet and in what portions?

thanks again everyone!

28 minutes ago, momoxstarx said:
  • overworked my tailbone and caused aggravated disc..
  • had to recover for almost a month and couldnt train

This sounds familiar (doing the same right now)

Do you have a 2 hour weigh in or 24 hour weigh in?

14 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

^^This

It drastically changes how much you can afford to dehydrate to make weight.

Your last week seems reasonable, should be fine.

As for food: I don't know how long your days are, my comps are normally over in about 3-4 hours, so after breakfast, I only really need snacks and can eat lunch once its all done.

29 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

13 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

^^This

It drastically changes how much you can afford to dehydrate to make weight.

Your last week seems reasonable, should be fine.

As for food: I don't know how long your days are, my comps are normally over in about 3-4 hours, so after breakfast, I only really need snacks and can eat lunch once its all done.

I have a2 hour window. I'm on the 2nd platform of morning flight. My lifts are done by 1pm but I'm gonna watch a friend in afternoon flight. 

• Like 1

Okay, 2 hour weigh in...

You can water load and cut, but not too hard because you wont have time to replenish. The key there is to pump in as much water as you can for about 4-5 days, then stop with around 30 hours to go. You will pee like crazy for a week, but I'm told you can drop an easy kilo this way without too much performance loss. I wouldn't know because I screwed mine up for my comp - only stopped drinking about 18 hours before the comp, continued to sip as needed, and consumed a salty meal the night before. Basically a recipe for water retention.

Apparently there's a thing where you can replace all meals with liquid meals the day before so you go in with nothing in your digestive tract, but I don't know how successful that is. So long as you still hit your calories I can't see this causing too many problems.

And finally, JP Cauchi (5trong on instagram) uses a sauna the morning before his weigh in to drop the last of the water. I don't know how I feel about that one, but I suppose if it's important to hit the weight class, then sure. 

Finally, if this is your first comp, don't stress it too much, and just have fun. Even if its not your first comp, have fun anyway, or else, what's the point?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

Finally, if this is your first comp, don't stress it too much, and just have fun. Even if its not your first comp, have fun anyway, or else, what's the point?

Yep is my first.  Thinking of zen thoughts and fun factor.. as it helps chase away panic.  I joked with my friend that I'll be lifting with her if I don't make weight.  She said "come lift with the big girls!" Lol

Thanks for your input. =)

• Like 2

Junior's advice is pretty solid. I would hold off sitting in the sauna until the night before if possible.

The day before eat low sodium and only trace carbs. Stick to "low volume" foods if you can.

For food to bring to the meet, you definitely want to h ave something to replenish your water/sodium, aka gatorade, pedialyte, coconut water, etc. It's also ok to eat things that you wouldn't normally eat (but not so far off your normal diet that you might get sick). Basically, don't be afraid of quick carbs or sodium heavy foods. I like rice cakes w/ nut butter, protein shakes, fruit, dry cereal, low-fat pringles/chips.

Try to eat and drink as soon as possible after weigh in so your body has time to absorb it!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hello! I'm looking for some competition advice - namely, which meet to go to this spring. I did a push-pull a few years ago, but this will be my first full competition!

The uni powerlifting club that I'm part of is going to both a British national university competition at the end of March (~4 hrs drive away, would require staying 2 nights away from home) and a local university competition in mid-May (~30 min drive away). Yesterday I found out that, despite the new age restrictions for the national competition, I *just* meet the age requirements by 4 days, and that our coach would really like to have me on the team since he needs decent >72 kg lifters.

Pros of national>local

·        This is the only chance I'll have to compete at uni nationals because of my age - I'll be too old next year

·        The team will fund some of the travel costs (though I still have to pay a decent amount)

·        This may be the cheapest and most convenient opportunity I'll have to compete at this level for years (I probably won't be able to until I have more disposable income and perhaps a car, or happen to live close to a national meet location :P)

·        I get to lift as a part of a selected team

·        Might be a way to be better integrated into the team - right now I kind of do my own thing most of the time

·        Would probably get more coaching since our coach will be focusing on people going to nationals

Pros of local>national

·        More likely to do my best since I won't have additional travel stress and am more likely to sleep well the nights before, etc. (I know it's only a couple nights, but I really don't travel well…).

·        Would be less stressful for my first competition

·        Won't need to spend additional time and energy on travel prep (so I can focus on competition prep - not to mention all that other stuff like my PhD :P). The biggest pain is that I would need to take all of my food with me due to dietary restrictions (and most of the food I can eat is perishable).

·        For nationals: the team's schedule and costs will dictate the travel schedule, rather than what's most comfortable for me (e.g., will probably travel back late after second day of competition)

·        Competing locally is cheaper

·        I get several extra weeks to prepare (that could be seen as a reason to always do a later competition if taken to extremes, but since I've been lifting sets of 6-8 for the past few months, I'd be happy for the extra time for a longer strength phase!)

·        Since I'm not very competitive on the national level (probably ~315 Wilks), and my personality also isn't that competitive, I'm interested in doing a competition for testing my strength and setting personal benchmarks, not winning anything. A local competition meets those goals.

·        The club is very serious about the national competition, which puts some extra pressure on the competitors

·        Overall: cheaper and less stressful way for me to test my abilities

It's probably clear that I'm leaning towards the local competition, but I also don't want to regret passing up the opportunity to compete at nationals. Any thoughts from other people who have competed would be appreciated! What did you wish you’d done for your first meet? What is traveling for a meet like?

On 1/15/2018 at 10:53 AM, Alanna said:

Hello! I'm looking for some competition advice - namely, which meet to go to this spring. I did a push-pull a few years ago, but this will be my first full competition!

The uni powerlifting club that I'm part of is going to both a British national university competition at the end of March (~4 hrs drive away, would require staying 2 nights away from home) and a local university competition in mid-May (~30 min drive away). Yesterday I found out that, despite the new age restrictions for the national competition, I *just* meet the age requirements by 4 days, and that our coach would really like to have me on the team since he needs decent >72 kg lifters.

Pros of national>local

·        This is the only chance I'll have to compete at uni nationals because of my age - I'll be too old next year

·        The team will fund some of the travel costs (though I still have to pay a decent amount)

·        This may be the cheapest and most convenient opportunity I'll have to compete at this level for years (I probably won't be able to until I have more disposable income and perhaps a car, or happen to live close to a national meet location :P)

·        I get to lift as a part of a selected team

·        Might be a way to be better integrated into the team - right now I kind of do my own thing most of the time

·        Would probably get more coaching since our coach will be focusing on people going to nationals

Pros of local>national

·        More likely to do my best since I won't have additional travel stress and am more likely to sleep well the nights before, etc. (I know it's only a couple nights, but I really don't travel well…).

·        Would be less stressful for my first competition

·        Won't need to spend additional time and energy on travel prep (so I can focus on competition prep - not to mention all that other stuff like my PhD :P). The biggest pain is that I would need to take all of my food with me due to dietary restrictions (and most of the food I can eat is perishable).

·        For nationals: the team's schedule and costs will dictate the travel schedule, rather than what's most comfortable for me (e.g., will probably travel back late after second day of competition)

·        Competing locally is cheaper

·        I get several extra weeks to prepare (that could be seen as a reason to always do a later competition if taken to extremes, but since I've been lifting sets of 6-8 for the past few months, I'd be happy for the extra time for a longer strength phase!)

·        Since I'm not very competitive on the national level (probably ~315 Wilks), and my personality also isn't that competitive, I'm interested in doing a competition for testing my strength and setting personal benchmarks, not winning anything. A local competition meets those goals.

·        The club is very serious about the national competition, which puts some extra pressure on the competitors

·        Overall: cheaper and less stressful way for me to test my abilities

It's probably clear that I'm leaning towards the local competition, but I also don't want to regret passing up the opportunity to compete at nationals. Any thoughts from other people who have competed would be appreciated! What did you wish you’d done for your first meet? What is traveling for a meet like?

I'd say definitely do nationals, you're not going to be able to get that team competition vibe ever again. Don't let the pressure get to you about them being serious. If they're having you on the team, they know where you lifts are, and want you there with those.

I actually find traveling for a meet to be awesome because I can actually sleep because it gets me away from all my other life concerns for that time.

Any reason why not both? Do the first, learn from it, then do a 6 week block specifically geared toward peaking and working on weaknesses covered in the first meet to try to improve? Your strength may not be any higher, but you'll have the experience from the first to build on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

I'd say definitely do nationals, you're not going to be able to get that team competition vibe ever again. Don't let the pressure get to you about them being serious. If they're having you on the team, they know where you lifts are, and want you there with those.

I actually find traveling for a meet to be awesome because I can actually sleep because it gets me away from all my other life concerns for that time.

Any reason why not both? Do the first, learn from it, then do a 6 week block specifically geared toward peaking and working on weaknesses covered in the first meet to try to improve? Your strength may not be any higher, but you'll have the experience from the first to build on.

It actually looks like a moot point now because the team short-list was posted a couple days ago and I'm not on it after all :P. I'm not disappointed, so that says something there. Thanks for the advice, though :).

I'm jealous of your travel sleep abilities! I sleep horribly without the perfect conditions (and sometime even then) - right bed, perfectly dark, good temperature... just doesn't happen with traveling.

Wasn't planning on both because of the cost (PhD student here with plenty of extra health expenses) and time, and I'd rather re-test after I have more time to improve. Also, the club gives first dibs on the local comp to people who couldn't compete at nationals, so chances are I couldn't do both.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:46 AM, Alanna said:

It actually looks like a moot point now because the team short-list was posted a couple days ago and I'm not on it after all :P. I'm not disappointed, so that says something there. Thanks for the advice, though :).

I'm jealous of your travel sleep abilities! I sleep horribly without the perfect conditions (and sometime even then) - right bed, perfectly dark, good temperature... just doesn't happen with traveling.

Wasn't planning on both because of the cost (PhD student here with plenty of extra health expenses) and time, and I'd rather re-test after I have more time to improve. Also, the club gives first dibs on the local comp to people who couldn't compete at nationals, so chances are I couldn't do both.

Turns out coach thought I was too old :P. And they still need someone on the team. So I need to decide by mid next week. Carry on...

One additional thing I talked to the coach about - I could compete as an 84+ kg, instead of an <84 kg lifter, to remove possible weight class stress (I bounce around between 83-84 kg first thing on a morning. Yes, it wouldn't be much to cut, but I don't want to worry about weight for a first competition).

ETA: I'm going to compete at nationals. I need to kick this travel anxiety that I've developed, because I don't want it to stop me from doing cool things... like you're-only-<25-y.o.-on-Jan1-once (YO25YOOJ1O?) lifting meets.

• Like 2

Glad you're going to go to nationals! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Is registration open?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 3/16/2018 at 9:28 AM, wildross said:

Is registration open?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Answering my own question....yes it is and I'm now registered.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:34 PM, wildross said:

Answering my own question....yes it is and I'm now registered.

Awesome! I want to go and compete again I think, just don't qualify for natioanls anymore since they raised the qualifying totals, which they should have, they were too low. I'm 100-150 lb off, hoping to break 1500 by the end of the year. I have to start paying attention to the local scene so I know about local meets.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:35 AM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Awesome! I want to go and compete again I think, just don't qualify for natioanls anymore since they raised the qualifying totals, which they should have, they were too low. I'm 100-150 lb off, hoping to break 1500 by the end of the year. I have to start paying attention to the local scene so I know about local meets.

Commenting on a 4 month old comment, I know, but wanted to anyway.

I know locally here in the MN, meets with online registration have been selling out in under 10 minutes. USAPL chair here in state has publicly stated he doesn't really know what to do. He made a big post about it in the USAPL MN Facebook group. I think it was essentially that they have a hard time staffing the meets they do have so if people want more meets, they should try and become refs and volunteer at meets. Not sure what's it like elsewhere. 

On 6/14/2018 at 2:39 PM, Rooks said:

Commenting on a 4 month old comment, I know, but wanted to anyway.

I know locally here in the MN, meets with online registration have been selling out in under 10 minutes. USAPL chair here in state has publicly stated he doesn't really know what to do. He made a big post about it in the USAPL MN Facebook group. I think it was essentially that they have a hard time staffing the meets they do have so if people want more meets, they should try and become refs and volunteer at meets. Not sure what's it like elsewhere. 

Yeah, shortage of volunteers and qualified judges is a problem everywhere. Once my girls get a little older to where I can disappear for a weekend at a time, I'm planning on becomming one myself. I was getting ready to start the process before we got pregnant with our first.