• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Brawlrus

Where does this fit?

So, I've taken up training for armwrestling again. I box and am a monk, but where would people put armwrestling? ON one hand, it is a strength sport and is often at strongman comps and Highland games, but it is also a one on one "fight", if you will. Heck, it's called armWRESTLING or wristWRESTLING, in other parts of the world, so it could be, and I have seen it as such, elsewhere, a "martial art". I think it's miscategorized as a strength sport, for the most part. Strength does play a role, but it does in a few martial arts and they aren't considered strength. Technique and speed can overcome strength, unless you go to the straps, then the stronger puller usually wins.

I'm getting away from the point. Do you think armwrestling belongs to the monks or to the warriors?

I'm getting away from the point. Do you think armwrestling belongs to the monks or to the warriors?

It belongs where you feel it belongs.

As an example, we have one monk who practices Tai Chi with us in the Guild, even though Tai Chi is explicitly mentioned as a "Druid" practice.  Which is all fine and dandy, except this monk was following Tai Chi in it's martial roots.  So it practices with us.  So, if you think of arm wrestling as a martial endeavor and focus your life around that environment instead of focusing on the lifting training, I see no reason why you can't be in the monks. 

But really, nothing is stopping you from switching between the guilds between challenges.  So you can be both!

• Like 2

This probably is:

Wow... that just looks like it makes a mockery of fighting and armwrestling.  I know Cobra says you're going to have to think, but I can't imagine any move, other than a hook, being effective.

But really, nothing is stopping you from switching between the guilds between challenges.  So you can be both!

I guess I hadn't considered that point. It makes sense, though. Focus on strength one challenge and technique in another.

Tai Chi is explicitly mentioned as a "Druid" practice.  Which is all fine and dandy, except this monk was following Tai Chi in it's martial roots.  So it practices with us.  So, if you think of arm wrestling as a martial endeavor and focus your life around that environment instead of focusing on the lifting training, I see no reason why you can't be in the monks.

Budoka of the Nerd Court: Concur there are "Druid" versions of Tai Chi and "Monk" versions of Tai Chi.

Gmork: I guess Arm Wrestling is still a very limited form of grappling, so it could still be a "monk training" activity. It is also "partner resisted" strength training.

More importantly though, I doubt anyone has kicked someone out of the Monk Guild for strength training, running, playing football, practicing yoga...BECAUSE THERE IS NO ACTIVITY THAT CAN UN-MONK someone (It's not like some forms of Judo which have now made it "illegal" to compete in non-judo tournaments).

This is nerd "fitness", so even if all your doing is "Tai Bo" kick boxing videos for fitness with no intention ever sparing, your still using a "Monk" style to inspire a fitness regimen. Look at all the none "strictly monk" stuff I do, no one has kicked me out...yet. Even better, look at Machete, that dude is multi-classing like a BOSS.

• Like 1

As an example, we have one monk who practices Tai Chi with us in the Guild, even though Tai Chi is explicitly mentioned as a "Druid" practice.  Which is all fine and dandy, except this monk was following Tai Chi in it's martial roots.  So it practices with us.  So, if you think of arm wrestling as a martial endeavor and focus your life around that environment instead of focusing on the lifting training, I see no reason why you can't be in the monks. 

More importantly though, I doubt anyone has kicked someone out of the Monk Guild for strength training, running, playing football, practicing yoga...BECAUSE THERE IS NO ACTIVITY THAT CAN UN-MONK someone (It's not like some forms of Judo which have now made it "illegal" to compete in non-judo tournaments).

This is nerd "fitness", so even if all your doing is "Tai Bo" kick boxing videos for fitness with no intention ever sparing, your still using a "Monk" style to inspire a fitness regimen. Look at all the none "strictly monk" stuff I do, no one has kicked me out...yet. Even better, look at Machete, that dude is multi-classing like a BOSS.

This.  I'm listed as a Monk, and have done the majority of my challenges with the Monks, but I still lift heavy things, and even just finished a challenge with the Warriors.  Haven't been kicked out yet.  

Bottom line: it's a guideline, not strict rules. 

tumblr_m1xor40o5o1qitzos.gif

• Like 1