• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

andygates

Midwinter Muscle Madness: Virtual Powerlifting Meet

Edit to add the spreadsheet-o-doom link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AubHlFHQvmVkdF8zMmdER0ZCbHp3YTdCNUIxRnFtMkE

Does anyone fancy a little friendly competition? :)

I'd like to propose a virtual powerlifting meet. Here's how it would work:

Between midwinter and new year -- 21 December and 01 January -- we each pick a day and do a one-person max-chasing session of raw human power. We post the results, and at the end of the time, fortune and glory (well, glory) are showered upon the winners. To keep it competitive we'll run all the weight classes and because we are nerds we can also use the Wilks Formula to see who's strongest across weight, age and sex classes!

Reporting would be on the good old honour system: post your attempted lifts, and pass or fails. You get to pick your lifts, so remember to make the first one a "banker" because if you don't get one good lift in each category, you don't get a total.

-----------------------

The rules:

You get four attempts in each of squat, benchpress and deadlift in that order (four, not three, so everyone has a better chance of making a total and having fun).

The best lift in each is added to your total. Top total for each bodyweight class wins the class.

Weigh in on the morning of your lifts. If you're close to a lower weight class, it's solid gamesmanship to cut a couple of pounds so you can lift among the lighter athletes.

Generally the rules details would be IPF Raw, which means no squat or bench suits, no knee wraps; belts and wrist wraps are fine.

Weight classes:

Men: up to 53 kg (Sub-Junior/Junior), 59 kg, 66 kg, 74 kg, 83 kg, 93 kg, 105 kg, 120 kg, 120 kg+

Women: up to 43 kg (Sub-Junior/Junior), 47 kg, 52 kg, 57 kg, 63 kg, 72 kg, 84 kg, 84 kg +

Age categories: 15-18, 19-23, open (any age) masters 40+ (if we have enough people in the edge categories, we'll run age categories, otherwise it's all one happy munge?)

What do you think? Sound like fun?

Edited by andygates

Is that in the middle of another 6 week challenge? I'd probably be in, I don't think I'm looking to make gains in my next challenge anyway.

Where's my handy dandy calculator... I'd be in the open age and 93kg bracket.

I like this idea and I might even do it if every registered forum member signs a notarized document promising not to point and laugh at my bench press. I have a fragile ego. These weight classes bewilder and confuse me but I'd either be an open 74 or 83 depending on how many cheeseburgerz I nom that week.

I like this idea and I might even do it if every registered forum member signs a notarized document promising not to point and laugh at my bench press. I have a fragile ego. These weight classes bewilder and confuse me but I'd either be an open 74 or 83 depending on how many cheeseburgerz I nom that week.

Don't worry jdanger, we can both go sulk in the corner on that one :)

I like this idea of friendly competition. I'd be in the 83kg section myself.

Don't worry, I lift like a T-rex: awesome tail power, itty bitty press.

We could scrap all the weight classes and just use the Wilks. That way we're all playing together. Plenty of time to contemplate format. :)

I'd be in, but I'm not going for 1 rep max's until at least 6 months into weight lifting again, so Mayish. You might wanna reduce the number of brackets you're gonna end up having, I don't know how many heavy lifters there are on here and you're gonna want more than 2-3 in a class.

I was actually showing her stats to my cube mate here at work today when I was browsing the top lifts leader board. They were floored. I will not participate in any lifting competitions until I outlift a 140 lb girl. I KNOW my ego couldn't take that one and I'd end up injuring myself trying to make sure it didn't happen again.

Well, I used to do triathlon, so I'm well used to getting beaten by girls. It's not so bad. It's very modern to be cool with it. I have to say this as I just ran the Wilks numbers on my last 1RM-fest and Spezzy's leaderboard lifts, and you rock, girl! Jeez.

More seriously, this is an objective trial. The real opponent here is gravity.

loI was just looking at that the other day. I'm about at the same weights as her in the squat/bench/overhead but her deadlift still crushes me. So I guess 3 months into this journey I'm matching the lifts of a 140lb girl. LOL!

I'm in. I like the idea of just one big group, since we'll probably be lucky to get a dozen otherwise. Let's see 240# is about 110Kg?? and over 50 is definitely "masters".

Better than the 5K where the large boned folks were in a group called "Clydesdales"....

I was planning on doing some maxes towards the end of the year anyway, after my birthday...

I refuse to take part as this would involve me actually lifting weights, i am a keyboard lifter and proud, sir. Now, if you are suggesting we all talk about lifting weights, and deriding people who's opinions differ from our own based on purely anecdotal sources, then i am your man.

Edited by King_mob
spelling, its always spelling, it will always be spelling so WHY DO YOU TORMENT ME SO WITH THESE ENDLESS QUESTIONS!!!

I refuse to take part as this would involve me actually lifting weights, i am a keyboard lifter and proud, sir. Now, if you are suggesting we all talk about lifting weights, and deriding people who's opinions differ from our own based on purely anecdotal sources, then i am your man.

Oh K_M. You amuse me, sir.

I refuse to take part as this would involve me actually lifting weights

So, I've gone through your posts and while you are knowledgeable, I wish to issue a challenge. PvP lets go. Midwinter to Wintereenmas... :D

So, I've gone through your posts and while you are knowledgeable, I wish to issue a challenge. PvP lets go. Midwinter to Wintereenmas... :D

Done. Though i would point out, from looking at your current progress, you already have me beat by 60lbs in the squat and 30lb in the deadlift. Considering the rate of progression for each of our programs (15lbs p/week in the squat, 10lb in the deadlift and 5lb in the bench for myself, while i am making the assumption from your battle log that you are raising your lifts 10lb a week, each) within 6 weeks before the end of the challenge you would still be in the lead on every lift.

So congratulations. You just won. :)

As an aside - can i suggest videos be posted for PR attempts? Otherwise i will happily post a 440lb squat for 20 reps tonight and be done with it.

But videos are such a pain... how about ensuring people keep a workout log in the weeks leading up to the challenge? It's hard to say you're lifting 185X5 one week and then, as you say, 440X20 the next :P

My old gym has a neat concept. They'd have the annnual Yank It and Crank It challenge. It was NOT a competition. Rather, it was a day set aside for ANYONE to come in and set a PR on their deadlift.

Watch it though, and you can see the jaw dropping Dr. Deadlift himself, Fred Peterson, who pulled near 700 pounds at age 70. o_0

So anyway, that's another possibility, before or after your comp. Y'know, have the Nerd Fitness Overhead Press Extravaganza on Janurary 15th or whatever, and everone checks in with their PRs and posts videos and we all just cheer and write stuff like "woot" a lot.

:D

(oh, and right at the beginning there, Fred gives some excellent advice: "Stop thinking about pulling the weight and just go out there and pull all your might on it. It'll come up.")

Edited by Knightwatch

But videos are such a pain... how about ensuring people keep a workout log in the weeks leading up to the challenge? It's hard to say you're lifting 185X5 one week and then, as you say, 440X20 the next :P

It was more for depth than weight. Quite happy to start a log full of 300lb quarter squats though :)

My old gym has a neat concept. They'd have the annnual Yank It and Crank It challenge. It was NOT a competition. Rather, it was a day set aside for ANYONE to come in and set a PR on their deadlift.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vm6GfV6oC4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL6005A092227294F2

Watch it though, and you can see the jaw dropping Dr. Deadlift himself, Fred Peterson, who pulled near 700 pounds at age 70. o_0

So anyway, that's another possibility, before or after your comp. Y'know, have the Nerd Fitness Overhead Press Extravaganza on Janurary 15th or whatever, and everone checks in with their PRs and posts videos and we all just cheer and write stuff like "woot" a lot.

:D

(oh, and right at the beginning there, Fred gives some excellent advice: "Stop thinking about pulling the weight and just go out there and pull all your might on it. It'll come up.")

That's a great video! It's definitely an inspiration to work towards those personal bests.

That first guy...it looks like his innie became an outie