• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

andygates

Midwinter Muscle Madness: Virtual Powerlifting Meet

What, no overhead press?

Hm. The timing will put me coming off of a week's visit to my family, which likely means no access to weights the entire time, and I haven't managed to jury-rig a system for bench press, but sure, I'll do a 1RM test on things when I get back. I'm pretty sure that all of the other women who are likely to get in on this can out-lift me, but if this means that the women's leaderboard gets some names on it beside Spezzy's, I'm for it.

The whole "Crank It" concept seems like a competition without the competition title. I'm fine with it either way, I want a specific point in time to set aside to figure out why my 1RM is. And lets face it, from whatever numbers we spawn, someone is getting added to the leader boards.

The competition aspect makes it PvP where as the "Crank It" schema sounds like single player. :(

I'm not sure about my ability to access iron, but after seeing that video (the look on the first guys face! Sheer joy!) I want in. I'll figure out something.

I'd be into something like this, whether it's competition style or not. It's been a while since I've tested my 1RM, and I know that I'm a lot stronger than I was when I last did. Also, I have a safe setup in my little home lifting sanctuary and can actually go all out on squats and bench now...

I have to say, that first really heavy squat on the wrong side of failure is an exciting experience. :o

The only way to survive such an experience is if you are propelled upwards from the sheer velocity of shit leaving your pants.

The only way to survive such an experience is if you are propelled upwards from the sheer velocity of shit leaving your pants.

hahaha oh the imagery.

Gracelessly dumped face-forward in the cage, as it happens, with pants clean and ears ringing. Sounded like a car crash. Was perfectly safe, because that's the crazy shit power cages are designed for. :)

I'm looking forward to that. I'm bringing my roommate and the strict instructions I'll give him for spotting my squats will be "if you see me about to fall, just push me forward".

And safety bars, gonna need safety bars.

I was watching near the finish of last year's Boston marathon and I saw one lady that had crapped herself. I decided to never run a marathon, but for some reason the idea of being an iron-capped-shit-rocket (that can be our band name!) is disturbingly appealing.

Lifting free in my garage without any safety bars I was getting close to failure on my fourth set of five squats last workout and I actually took the time afterwards to see whether, with the fully loaded bar on the ground, my neck fit under it in case the worst happened and I faceplanted with a loaded bar. It does. I haven't had to test it out yet. I suppose the other option is to ditch the bar backwards.

I should really get some safety bars.

Lifting free in my garage without any safety bars I was getting close to failure on my fourth set of five squats last workout and I actually took the time afterwards to see whether, with the fully loaded bar on the ground, my neck fit under it in case the worst happened and I faceplanted with a loaded bar. It does. I haven't had to test it out yet. I suppose the other option is to ditch the bar backwards.

I should really get some safety bars.

This is actually why Olympic plates are as big as they are, so they will roll over your head. I've seen exactly what you describe happen. Better one concusses themselves against the platform than to snap their neck or squash their melon between the bar and the deck.

so what's the final ruling - weight classes or no? and so i understand, we can try 4 separate times b/w 12/21 and 1/01 for squat, deadlift and bench to get our PR?

so what's the final ruling - weight classes or no? and so i understand, we can try 4 separate times b/w 12/21 and 1/01 for squat, deadlift and bench to get our PR?

If we don't do weight classes, we should still put in our weight so we're measuring lifts as a percentage of body weight or something -- a 150# deadlift is different amounts of impressive for people who weigh 100#, 150#, or 200#, you know?

(Though I believe we're about the same weight (I'm 124# +/- 2) if I'm remembering your stats correctly and not mixing you up with someone else.)

If we don't do weight classes, we should still put in our weight so we're measuring lifts as a percentage of body weight or something -- a 150# deadlift is different amounts of impressive for people who weigh 100#, 150#, or 200#, you know?

(Though I believe we're about the same weight (I'm 124# +/- 2) if I'm remembering your stats correctly and not mixing you up with someone else.)

i agree with listing weight as well. and you got it right, we're right on par with each other. slowly starting to be a steady 125. actually, i weighed myself at the gym the other day, and got all excited when it said 126.6, then realized i was holding a full 23 oz water bottle & iphone, so dropped those, and yeah, 125. :)

Yeah, I had gone up three pounds over the last few days but lost it all after my fast day, so it was all water weight and not muscle gain. Sigh.

Sounds like we're good people for making lifting comparisons though -- you're ahead of me on squats, I think I'm ahead on some upper body things, and our deadlifts are pretty damn competitive. :)

Yeah, I had gone up three pounds over the last few days but lost it all after my fast day, so it was all water weight and not muscle gain. Sigh.

Sounds like we're good people for making lifting comparisons though -- you're ahead of me on squats, I think I'm ahead on some upper body things, and our deadlifts are pretty damn competitive. :)

yes! love me some competition! it gets rone-ry lifting all by my lonesome sometimes. and upper body, i'm sure you've got me beat. i'm so weak. next challenge, i definitely need to focus on upper body.

Wilks is a tweak to bodyweight, making it a bit of a curve and factoring in sex.

I was thinking not 4 goes over time at a PR, but a single PR-hunting session at which you get 4 attempts on your lifts, like a single weightlifting meet. The time thing's just so people have fewer schedule excuses not to play. :)

If we're adding odd lifts -- OHP and Olympics and all that -- then I see no reason not to break it up a bit, just to keep zingy and fresh.

okay...i've been lurking on this particular thread long enough...i've never tried for my PR before, and haven't tested for a max weight so I'm nervous about this idea. imo, this is exactly why i should do it. i'm in.