• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

andygates

Midwinter Muscle Madness: Virtual Powerlifting Meet

HOW AM I SEEING THIS JUST NOW?

You guys posted this when I was away from a computer and on vacation on purpose, didn't you? :)

I'm obviously in. Absolutely.

A few thoughts:

Classes:

male/female

masters (45 or 50+?)/open -everyone else. we can't have a 15-18 age group because you need to be 18 to be on the forums.

Weight:

by percentage of bw - that way we won't have weight divisions (which we dont have enough people for) but would still see what other people our weight were lifting. I'm not opposed to weight classes thought.

Date:

I don't think we can do a specific day for everyone - just between certain dates.

Lifts:

It'd be cool to have two - a powerlifting and an oly day. That way we could get all the leaderboards updated :)

Is that in the middle of another 6 week challenge? I'd probably be in, I don't think I'm looking to make gains in my next challenge anyway.

The next challenge starts January 1st. More on that in a different thread later.

So what do we do when Spezzy comes in and kicks everyone's collective ass? I don't think my ego could take a hit like that.

You just will have to make sure that won't happen, right? :)

I was actually showing her stats to my cube mate here at work today when I was browsing the top lifts leader board. They were floored. I will not participate in any lifting competitions until I outlift a 140 lb girl. I KNOW my ego couldn't take that one and I'd end up injuring myself trying to make sure it didn't happen again.

Ego at the door!

loI was just looking at that the other day. I'm about at the same weights as her in the squat/bench/overhead but her deadlift still crushes me. So I guess 3 months into this journey I'm matching the lifts of a 140lb girl. LOL!

nothing wrong with that! :) :)

What, no overhead press?

Hm. The timing will put me coming off of a week's visit to my family, which likely means no access to weights the entire time, and I haven't managed to jury-rig a system for bench press, but sure, I'll do a 1RM test on things when I get back. I'm pretty sure that all of the other women who are likely to get in on this can out-lift me, but if this means that the women's leaderboard gets some names on it beside Spezzy's, I'm for it.

YES. Please. imsoaloneeeeeeee

HOW AM I SEEING THIS JUST NOW?

You guys posted this when I was away from a computer and on vacation on purpose, didn't you? :)

So the all seeing moderator has a blind spot :)

I'm obviously in. Absolutely.

Wouldn't be a comp without you.

A few thoughts:

Classes:

male/female

masters (45 or 50+?)/open -everyone else. we can't have a 15-18 age group because you need to be 18 to be on the forums.

Weight:

by percentage of bw - that way we won't have weight divisions (which we dont have enough people for) but would still see what other people our weight were lifting. I'm not opposed to weight classes thought.

Date:

I don't think we can do a specific day for everyone - just between certain dates.

Lifts:

It'd be cool to have two - a powerlifting and an oly day. That way we could get all the leaderboards updated :)

These seem reasonable. Should we plan this comp to coincide with Winter-een-mas? (Jan25-31?) You know for extra nerdy cred.

The next challenge starts January 1st. More on that in a different thread later.

What?!?!

YES. Please. imsoaloneeeeeeee

Lonely at the top ain't it :D Don't worry, I've noticed the women of NF kicking some major butt lately and I am sure they'll join you soon.

Lonely at the top ain't it :D Don't worry, I've noticed the women of NF kicking some major butt lately and I am sure they'll join you soon.

yes we will, mwahahaha. i mean, eventually, you know. :)

Sweet, Hemi and Spezzy have entered the arena! Hemi: 1RM hunting is fun (with just a scary edge).

Crap, an Olympic day? Now I'm gonna have to practice. I'm all Mighty Glacier right now.

Depending on when it is, I'd be interested in doing this. But it'll be harder if I'm at home...unless my old high school wants to let me have some fun.

Lifting, by the very nature of the thing, is always worth posting. All of it. :)

I second that! Besides, think how satisfying it will be to have that recorded when you do it again next year!

Womens Leaderboard

1st: spezzy

2nd: spezzy

3rd: spezzy

Honourable mention: weirdquark :P

noooo! im the only one because im the only one who has posted anything. im sure some of the ladies here are outlifting me (and i would be more than happy if they were!)

So the all seeing moderator has a blind spot :)

These seem reasonable. Should we plan this comp to coincide with Winter-een-mas? (Jan25-31?) You know for extra nerdy cred.

haha she has vacations away from the internets :) and maybe give a day or two before, for people like KW who wont be near a gym?

Lifting, by the very nature of the thing, is always worth posting. All of it. :)

this.

I am definitely in on this. I've been wondering what I'd be able to do as a 1RM on all my lifts and I just haven't wanted to try it yet. I've only been doing this heavy (heavy for me anyway) lifting stuff for about a month. It will also be good to have another month of practice for this. so I'm in as long as:

A. No one laughs at me.

2. NO ONE LAUGHS AT ME!!!

I definitely have a fragile ego (years of getting picked on in high school does that to ya folks) but I know that everyone here lifts way more than me period so I'm not really going to be too shocked. just be nice when i post my wimpy numbers.

Do folks want to try to lift on the same day, or lift when we can and all post on the same day, or lift when we can and post as we go along?

I say we lift and post as we go along. But we should have someone on hand to make an actual chart with rankings and they post it. i'd volunteer but i'm too lazy and unorganized to do make such chart or list or whatever.

Also I have a question. I'd be in the open and i gues 86kg range if my math is correct (190lbs). I have listed how much i do in my lifts in sets. is there a way to get an idea of how much i'd be lifting as a 1RM? Or do i just guess???

Also because I have to mention it somewhere at least once a day...Wrestling. That is all.

Also I have a question. I'd be in the open and i gues 86kg range if my math is correct (190lbs). I have listed how much i do in my lifts in sets. is there a way to get an idea of how much i'd be lifting as a 1RM? Or do i just guess???

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

this'll help you figure out where you could/should be. and it's pretty accurate.

I'd stick to the formulas for rankings for fairness across body types. It's why they exist after all.

Bonus question: Why do rankings based on load lifted as a percentage of bodyweight favor lighter lifters?

Hint: there will be math.

I'd stick to the formulas for rankings for fairness across body types. It's why they exist after all.

Bonus question: Why do rankings based on load lifted as a percentage of bodyweight favor lighter lifters?

Hint: there will be math.

Where can i find these formulas?

To answer your bonus question: no idea.

do 5 (you're only allowed to enter b/w 1 and 10).

I discovered this after trying to figure it out. Maybe i should try things before asking questions eh?

Heh no worries. Bottom line is there are two main formulas used during different lifting competitions that are designed to compare lifters in different weight classes to each other. There are problems with easier approaches like percentage of bodyweight that these formulas attempt to compensate for. The "why" behind this fact was what inspired my bonus question. Beyond that I was just offering my input on how this challenge should run. That is, I think we should calculate Wilks totals for everyone rather than percentage of bodyweight.

Right, you lovely nerds! Here you go: one NerdFitness powerlifting calculator with automatic Wilks normalized totals: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AubHlFHQvmVkdF8zMmdER0ZCbHp3YTdCNUIxRnFtMkE (public Google doc, should work from anywhere)

Instructions: Everything's in kilos. If you're not all SI-units, lbs / 2.2 gives kilos. Enter M or F in the sex column so that it can tweak the Wilks coefficient appropriately. You don't have to enter your age, that's just there for age-grouping. If you miss a lift, leave the cell blank. You get your real and normalized totals over on the right.

The real total is the sum of your biggest squat, bench press and deadlift.

The normalized total is run through the Wilks coefficient, which allows us to compare athletes of different sexes and weight classes and see who is the best powerlifter overall.

Edited by andygates