• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

andygates

Midwinter Muscle Madness: Virtual Powerlifting Meet

I'd be willing to test where I'm at if I can get to the Gym around that time.

Would anybody object to me testing the 3 Main ones and then other stuff. I'm interested in seeing Overhead Press, Curl, and Barbell Row. I'll add those in just for fun I guess.

I will be in the 19-23 if the age thing matters and 105 KG I guess if I get the chance to test. Or just use the Wilks Formula, that's cool too.

I'll be testing overhead press for fun! I like it better than bench-- I can do it without any more equipment than the bar and plates.

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get to a gym and test with real equipment. Or I'll get me a real squat rack for Christmas. Though it probably won't ship in time because of the Christmas rush. Maybe this'll be a good time for one of those gym trial membership passes...

so do we have to do all four attempts in one session?

b/c i see some people have 2 sessions of squat already logged. or, is it between now and x date? i'm confuzzeled.

The ones with lifts already logged are examples, yeah?

My understanding is that we do all lifts in one session, though if we do go for an Olympic lifts session we might want to split it over two days so we aren't testing 1RMs on everything.

I'm willing to bow to Mr Andy Gates on this one. I was planning on taking two days to check my squat and dead lift maxes, as I didn't want to do them both in one day. But, it's his competition challenge, so if it's all to be in one day. I'm game, sir.

And yes, I put in my numbers to get a feel for where I am now. And can I say, the fact that there already two people with better coefficients than me is fuel enough to make me want to eat these weights. Where's this formula for Wilks, I need to find out how much weight I need to drop to beat these numbers.

Edited by this_is_seth

Popeye and Olive were just tests to sanity-check the formulas. :)

The powerliftin' rules say: all your attempts in the same day, and in that order: squat, bench, deadlift. Other crazy stuff we can do ad-hoc. I just wanted to make the Wilkinator easily. I'm certainly going to try OHP and dabble with oly lifts and ... what else have we got handy? Turkish Get-Up, Two Hands Anyhow...

Seth: The coefficient is mostly based off bodyweight. All of us big guys are around 0.6 on that; the ladies are the only ones who are close to 1, and only the lighter ladies so far get a positive coefficient. The normalized total is Total x Coefficient. If you want to beat the maths: lift moar weightz.

Whoaz. This is pretty neat and I'm probably going to go ahead and participate. I've never attempted 1RM and haven't the slightest idea of how to go about it (other than using that spiffy calculator) so if anyone has some good tips... :D

Whoaz. This is pretty neat and I'm probably going to go ahead and participate. I've never attempted 1RM and haven't the slightest idea of how to go about it (other than using that spiffy calculator) so if anyone has some good tips... :D

I've always just added weight and reduced the number of reps. So I do a set of 5, then add weight and do sets of 2 or 3. When I think I'm getting close (you can estimate with the 1RM calculator) I start doing sets of 1 so I don't tired myself out too soon and add the smallest increment of weight that I can until I can't complete a rep. Then the last weight I was able to do with good form is my 1RM.

I need to get some itsy weights though, because my smallest plates are 2.5#, so I can only jump up in 5# increments and sometimes my 1RM is above what I can do at one weight but not quite by 5 pounds.

Oh this is cool!

I'm going to be hanging out up in new england over christmas, but I should have access to some gym equipment (i hope).

You will when you come visit CFN :)

yh i'm in, probs do it on saturday though i can't back squat very well (only on about 80kg at 75kg for 5 x 5, don't want to go too much heavier due to a hip injury which flares up when i back squat :()

andy, for the spreadsheet, the Wilks formula column is off by a couple of rows. I had to copy and paste the formula from a previous cell to get the accurate amount and it looks like the column after me is the same way. I'd fix this, but don't want to mess around with it too much.

In other news, I hit my totals today. Didn't really have a game plan for this, just went in and tried to move some weights. PR's in all three lifts. :) I maybe could have put more on the squat and bench had I not tried to go for broke on the last set of each, but there are worse things than missed lifts. Good day and waiting to see some more totals come.

So I see people adding numbers. Are you all just adding your current numbers to see what numbers it spits out?

I saw the OP say Dec 21-Jan 01, is that when we officially start? and did we decide if this is all in one day, or if it is spaced out?

i'm sort of nervous to try the squats on this. which means if i don't do those i may opt out completely due to being unsure on form and such. I don't know if i'm quite ready to do them. My squat form is a bit lacking lately.