• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

andygates

Midwinter Muscle Madness: Virtual Powerlifting Meet

Well, today at CF we're going for...like..."super total", or whatever. 1rm's in Bench, Dead, Squat, and Press. Given how sick I was this week, this oughta be highly lulz'able. Won't have access to a gym next week, so I'll be out of the "official" comp here, but I'll plug in what I manage to lumber through later.

I expect, nay, demand, that you all go and crush my efforts next week.

:)

Psst Andygates!

Would you kindly place your google spreadsheet on your initial post so we don't have to search for the damn thing should we decide to gaze upon its wonders?

Psst Andygates!

Would you kindly place your google spreadsheet on your initial post so we don't have to search for the damn thing should we decide to gaze upon its wonders?

i second this. except i know it is on page three of the convo. i think...

EDIT: Last post page 3. :D

so i have a question...let's say that in all my attempts at a particular lift...if i fail them. say...i try to dead lift 225 and i fail. but i don't want to go lower because for some reason i feel like i should do this...and i fail all four times. do i just mark it zero? *cue walter*

Done. Also, I have the plague - well, a long-running cough with BLACKOUTS ('cos when I get ill I get HONEY BADGER ill). Hopefully it'll shift in time.

Hope you get well soon Andy...

You not only get zero, you also get a total of zero! Muahaha!

(ahem)

This is why the first lift needs to be a balance between ego and conservatism. First lift should be a banker.

You not only get zero, you also get a total of zero! Muahaha!

(ahem)

This is why the first lift needs to be a balance between ego and conservatism. First lift should be a banker.

well...i'm about to post my results. i am both proud and disappointed. bench sucked but my dead lift and squats were fantastic (for me anyway).

EDIT: okay now that i've posted my numbers will someone please explain to me what all that other stuff means? like the normalized total, and wilks coeffecient and all that stuff? I feel i did quite well and i may go eat an oreo.

Edited by Snake McClain

i'd like to see us do this maybe 2-3 times a year. would be nice to see improvements over time. i'm also thinking that it gives us more opportunities to lift at our best (speaking for us sickos). in general, this is proving to be really fun and i hope this isn't the only time we engage in this friendly little competition.

whats the last day i have to do this again? i kind of didnt realize it was so late in the month already when i did my max deadlift last week... and i need 10 days to fully recover from that before i can even think about doing a max again. :D

i don't think we nailed down a specific day, but end of next week...so january 6th- that friday? or saturday/sunday? i don't mind much if we give or take a day. i'm shooting for friday the 6th though.

"Between midwinter and new year -- 21 December and 01 January"

I actually took Friday off from work, because I didn't want to roll over 80 hours of PTO, so I'll be finding my numbers then. I doubt anyone is going to complain about an extra week, Hemi/Spezzy.

yeah, we had decided that we could have an extra week to take into consideration the people who didnt have a gym over christmas break.

i'll get it done next week :)

I changed my mind, I'll be doing this today or Saturday morning, probably today. The one thing I'm scared of is going too heavy on the squats and squishing myself.

As long as you have a rack with safeties, all you have to do is dump the bar if you can't get up again. (If you haven't already, I'd practice with a weight you know you can manage, so you know what it's like. Then you'll probably worry less -- it worked that way for me.) If you don't have a rack with safeties -- I'd figure out something before doing this, because you want to be able to dump that bar when you're trying to figure out the difference between being able to pick something up once and failing to pick up something at all.

As long as you have a rack with safeties, all you have to do is dump the bar if you can't get up again. (If you haven't already, I'd practice with a weight you know you can manage, so you know what it's like. Then you'll probably worry less -- it worked that way for me.) If you don't have a rack with safeties -- I'd figure out something before doing this, because you want to be able to dump that bar when you're trying to figure out the difference between being able to pick something up once and failing to pick up something at all.

Oh, I squat in a full cage, the fear is totally irrational. At the bottom of my squat, the bottoms of the plates are below where I set the bars, so there is almost no possibility of missing the bars if I bail. I've just never had to dump the bar before, so it's one of those leaps I have to make. I WILL be dumping the bar today though, not going to stop increasing until I do.

On another note, we're doing the deadlift on the same day as the squat right? Does it behoove me to alternate between the deadlift and squat attempts so that I don't completely suck on the deadlift after 4 max attempts on the squat?

Edit: i suck at the typing.