• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

andygates

Midwinter Muscle Madness: Virtual Powerlifting Meet

Thanks for the props guys, everyone is doing great. I only decided to do this because I passed Spezzy in the deadlift btw.

Nope. :D

#justsayin

Thanks for the props guys, everyone is doing great. I only decided to do this because I passed Spezzy in the deadlift btw.

#justsayin

Spezzy's like a photon, you can get close, but she's always a little bit ahead [/nerdiness]

That said 345 is still a very large and intimidating number. You can now dead lift a Pythagorean Triangle. :D

#justsayin

I can't see the dang number cause I'm at work... But I will beat it! Editing 7 week challenge blog now! (Someone post it please so I can know?)

Edit: I checked the blog logs (I like the sound of that...) 5 lbs, REALLY?! I'm gonna go rip 365 off the ground today...

Edited by CoreyD

I can't see the dang number cause I'm at work... But I will beat it! Editing 7 week challenge blog now! (Someone post it please so I can know?)

Well, she hasn't posted her official numbers yet as I think she's planning to go for 1RM on the 6th-7th... but there is this. So, yeah, she's still dead lifting more than the both of us.

Which is awesome.

how late can we do this? also, does it count if we don't do all of them? i don't bench press. wouldn't even be able to tell you ballpark numbers.

Edit: I checked the blog logs (I like the sound of that...) 5 lbs, REALLY?! I'm gonna go rip 365 off the ground today...

terrible, terrible idea. i wouldn't try a max 10 days within eachother (yeah, one of the reasons i havent done this yet, i did a 1rm deadlift right before this started...).

that being said, i did 265x12 the other day which means, according to online 1rm calculators, my 1rm is actually somewhere between 365 and 395.

soooo bring it :D

Well, she hasn't posted her official numbers yet as I think she's planning to go for 1RM on the 6th-7th... but there is this. So, yeah, she's still dead lifting more than the both of us.

Which is awesome.

The 6th or the 7th, yeah. This is kind of messing with my regular schedule, but whatevs. :)

how late can we do this? also, does it count if we don't do all of them? i don't bench press. wouldn't even be able to tell you ballpark numbers.

sure why not!

terrible, terrible idea. i wouldn't try a max 10 days within eachother (yeah, one of the reasons i havent done this yet, i did a 1rm deadlift right before this started...).

that being said, i did 265x12 the other day which means, according to online 1rm calculators, my 1rm is actually somewhere between 365 and 395.

soooo bring it :D

OK, so I figured the same thing after I posted that, and decided I'm going to feel it out and probably not do a max. However, I edited my 6 week challenge, and after this one is over, I will surpass you and never allow myself to look back! I don't mean to be anti feminist or anything, but knowing a woman, especially one 100 lbs lighter than me, who can deadlift more than me has probably been one of the best motivators to get that weight up that I've ever had.

Aren't you doing SLx5? Medhi preaches 1x5 on dead lifts, right? If you want to push past it, be careful as dead lifts can get heavy and tiresome after enough linear progression. That said, I moved to 3x5 as I wanted to do more than just 1x5 at working weight.

Aren't you doing SLx5? Medhi preaches 1x5 on dead lifts, right? If you want to push past it, be careful as dead lifts can get heavy and tiresome after enough linear progression. That said, I moved to 3x5 as I wanted to do more than just 1x5 at working weight.

I don't know how to program deadlifts, because mine goes up if I do deadlift, if I don't deadlift, or if I dream about deadlifting. (Seriously, I'm not going to touch it for the next month and I guarantee I'll beable to pull a 30lb RM)

But the point I wanted to make is take whatever Mehdi says with less than a grain of salt - he's an idiot. From my experiences and what I've read, after a certain point, DLing is going to benefit more from heavy doubles and triples than volume.

after a certain point, DLing is going to benefit more from heavy doubles and triples than volume.

I've always assumed that certain point is past 300lbs. Until then, I'm still feeling the grind on hitting 2-3 sets of 5 at working weight.

Would you like a chorus of goons chanting "FOUR PLATES! FOUR PLATES! FOUR PLATES!" now, or later?

Gymside lung test for me tomorrow (ie, a warmup and light barbell session) -- if my innards stay in and there's no fainting, the weekend is for me too.

We wrap after the weekend, so Matilda, plenty of time to experiment with strange new benchpresses. ;)

I've always assumed that certain point is past 300lbs. Until then, I'm still feeling the grind on hitting 2-3 sets of 5 at working weight.

That's where I've felt the magic number is around - atleast for me. It's going to depending on the person. I've had great success with the 5/3/1 protocol, pulling 285x7 (I think?) then hitting 345 (30 lb PR) about 10 minutes later. But 5/3/1 is a low volume program.

Spezzy's like a photon, you can get close, but she's always a little bit ahead [/nerdiness]

i may have to steal this for my signature. best quote ever.

OK, so I figured the same thing after I posted that, and decided I'm going to feel it out and probably not do a max. However, I edited my 6 week challenge, and after this one is over, I will surpass you and never allow myself to look back! I don't mean to be anti feminist or anything, but knowing a woman, especially one 100 lbs lighter than me, who can deadlift more than me has probably been one of the best motivators to get that weight up that I've ever had.

Glad to be of service, but you will not pass me. YOU WILL NOT. :D

That said, I am going to adjust my deadlift workout from 1x5 to something else. Should I add more sets of 5 or should I add some reps?

Adding more deadlifts will not make your deadlift go up. It might actually make it go down.

Would you like a chorus of goons chanting "FOUR PLATES! FOUR PLATES! FOUR PLATES!" now, or later?

I edited my end of year goal to be 405 instead of 400... purely for the fact that its four plates.

I'd say its more a percentage - so like at 2x your bodyweight. If you're 6'3 and 250lbs of pure muscle, 300lbs won't be a big deal :)

I would add in other exercises, like good mornings, shrugs, Romanian deadlifts, and glute ham raises, before adding in more deadlifts. And here's some link love.

Yes to this. Deadlift Assistance I do:

-Romanian deadlifts (single leg)

-Kettlebell swings (seriously)

-Rack pulls

-Farmers walk

-Light dynamic high rep deadlifts.

That's my girl. Nonbenchers notsoanonymous unite!

I did these quickly last night as I was pressed for time, wish I could have spent more time and prepared a bit better:

SQ: 265 (120.45 Kg)

Bench: 170 (77.27 Kg)

DL: 330 (150kg)

@ BW of 158 (71.8Kg)

Total: 347.74 Kg, 255.64 normalized.

That's my girl. Nonbenchers notsoanonymous unite!

i'm making picket signs that say "We Don't Bench!" just for, you know, overall picketing purposes.

I did these quickly last night as I was pressed for time, wish I could have spent more time and prepared a bit better:

SQ: 265 (120.45 Kg)

Bench: 170 (77.27 Kg)

DL: 330 (150kg)

@ BW of 158 (71.8Kg)

Total: 347.74 Kg, 255.64 normalized.

nicely done, sir!

Yes to this. Deadlift Assistance I do:

-Romanian deadlifts (single leg)

-Kettlebell swings (seriously)

-Rack pulls

-Farmers walk

-Light dynamic high rep deadlifts.

I really like kettle bell swings, I used to do them before I started stronglifts. I'm going to try to get an HIIT day in during the week and these will definitely be part of it. I'm thinking these, T pushups, kettle bell presses (or something kettle bell to work the shoulders), and something else for the core.

edit: I no do the grammar good