Firedance runs along the branches

Firedance

post-34058-0-19787300-1428291858_thumb.j

I've decided it was time I started trying to work on an important skill of all Tayledras scouts*: tree-walking. Tayledras all learn to climb trees and use the massive branches of the Pelagir forests as secondary path. This leaves no trail, and allows them unseen vantage points to attack from.  It also scares the crap out of people, which can be handy when you're hoping for a non-violent encounter with intruders. Violence is a waste, better for them to leave voluntarily. 

*Worldbuilding by Mercedes Lackey, particularly in the Mage Winds trilogy and The Owl Mage Trilogy.

Main Quest: Run a 5k and master bodyweight exercises

Quest 1: Run/Dance 3 times a week
Focus on speeding up my 5k time by running more of it, as well as improving my form by trying to run more quietly. Silence is an important part of tree-walking. 

Measurement: A = 3 times a week, B = 2 times a week, C = 1 time a week
Reward: A = +3 DEX, +2 STA, B = +2 DEX, +1 STA, C = +1 DEX

Quest 2: Bodyweight + Dumbell Circuits 2 times a week
Walking the trees needs leg strength and core strength to stay balanced. Focus on adding balance exercises and overall exercises like the sled. 

Measurement: A = 3 times a week, B = 2 time a week, C = 1 time a week
Reward: A = +3 STR, + 2 STA, B = +2 STR, + 1 STA, C = +1 STR

Quest 3: Pull-ups
I need to be able climb the tree, and pull myself up to more conveniently oriented branches. Focus on reducing the offset on the assisted pull-up machine. Currently I'm at Level 15, and I'd like to increase to 13. I'm really not sure how much of a reach this is, so I'll adjust if needed. 
Measurement: A = 3 times a week, B = 2 time a week, C = 1 time a week
Reward: A = +3 STR, B = +2 STR, C = +1 STR

Life Quest
Paying my taxes is about to drain my savings account down to the dregs.  So I'm going to keep track of my food spending, and hopefully reduce it and put the balance in my savings account. If nothing else I'll be more mindful about food spending, and hopefully not go in the opposite direction and spend more (which has happened in past attempts. I'm only rebellious against myself). 

Cook at home 10 times a week: 0/10
Reward: +2 WIS

post-34058-0-52019000-1428291479_thumb.j
Images from Assassins Creed 3 found on the internet. If you click on them they get embiggened.
  • Like 4

Level 8 Princess Ranger

Current Challenge: Firedance Befriends a Dragon | Epic Quest

I also have a few things I'd like to remember to learn about or more about for my running:

What are Plyometrics, and how do I use them?

What are Tempo Runs, and how do I use them?

How do I use strides effectively?

How to use heart rate to monitor my workouts (i have a fitbit, I want to be using it properly)

Level 8 Princess Ranger

Your challenges look good overall, good luck!

And stay patient with the pull-ups, they're really hard! 

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Great goals.  I should just copy yours onto my challenge thread.

It will be exciting to watch your successes.

Bow woman

Now I've got to keep my eyes up, in case there is someone watching from above....

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Now I've got to keep my eyes up, in case there is someone watching from above....

I remember reading somewhere that humans have this habit of not looking for threats from above. Made me check my entire surroundings from then on. ;)

• Like 3

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Great goals.  I should just copy yours onto my challenge thread.

It will be exciting to watch your successes.

I'm pretty excited about this challenge myself. And I'm only stalking from above to better guard your backs on the hunt! :) 

Your challenges look good overall, good luck!

And stay patient with the pull-ups, they're really hard! 

I know they are going to be super hard. I had to write in a disclaimer that I might need to change the specific offset weight of the goal. I think as long as I keep doing them every time I'm at the gym that will be the baseline. 

• Like 1

Level 8 Princess Ranger

I also have a few things I'd like to remember to learn about or more about for my running:

What are Plyometrics, and how do I use them?

What are Tempo Runs, and how do I use them?

I can give some answers to these~

Plyometrics are basically jumping exercises. Obviously, high impact and best used as a bodyweight strength exercise. Steve uses them in the TMNT workout, among others.

Tempo runs are the bane of my existence, ugh. It's meant as a speed training exercise, and you'll find many different definitions on how to do them, but the definition I like to use comes from Hal Higdon:

Tempo Runs: This is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near 10-K race pace. A Tempo Run of 30 to 45 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, build to 15-20 minutes near the middle, then 5-10 minutes easy toward the end. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout. Hold that peak only for a minute or two. I consider Tempo Runs to be the "Thinking Runner's Workout." A Tempo Run can be as hard or easy as you want to make it, and it has nothing to do with how long (in time) you run or how far. In fact, the times prescribed for Tempo Runs serve mainly as rough guidelines. Feel free to improvise. Improvisation is the heart of doing a Tempo Run correctly.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you in your challenge!

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

3 cheers for Mercedes Lackey fans!

I think my favorite is her Elemental Masters series. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge: 

Week 1, Day 1:

Now I am extra glad that I'm making food spending tracking as a goal because OMG I spent so much money on food last week (and clothing). On top of that I paid my taxes.  My poor bank account...time to boil some water for pasta haha!

I can give some answers to these~

That is super useful. I've done some jump roping as a warmup, but I have been thinking about adding it in more frequently.

Apparently I also have been doing tempo runs without knowing it.  Maybe not exactly, but I tend to switch between interval and gradual speed increase runs. Running at the same pace for long periods of time is my bane, I have to use lots of willpower to actually do it.

Level 8 Princess Ranger

Apparently I also have been doing tempo runs without knowing it.  Maybe not exactly, but I tend to switch between interval and gradual speed increase runs. Running at the same pace for long periods of time is my bane, I have to use lots of willpower to actually do it.

I love those moments of discovery, when you learn what everybody else calls that thing that you've been doing the whole time. :)

• Like 1

Fox's blog!

Current Challenge

Wandering Bard Changeling - Ranger - Level 4

STR 4 - DEX 4 - STA 6 - CON 4 - WIS 7 - CHA 5

A Year from now, you'll wish you had started today. ~Karen Lamb

Week 1, Day 5

Ran last night and did strength training.  I think I'm going to add more weight to the sled next time, but also make sure to actually do as part of a circuit. 3 back and forths in a row is much harder than doing arms in the middle! But my gym was crowded so jumping between exercises was harder.  I also learned that I should not take a whole week off from running, because it makes the next run so much harder. I knew that in theory, but I think it's finally internalized. 

Cooking isn't crazy stuff. Bagels at home to avoid dunkins every day which is good. Tortelli with vodka sauce and spinich earlier this week, and last night elios pizza and dumplings with spinch salad and blueberries. I think it was leftover Paella on monday.

Movement: 2/3

Strength: 1/2

Pull-ups: 2/3 

Cooking: 8/10

• Like 2

Level 8 Princess Ranger

Week 1, Day 6

2 hour gym session with my roommate, who is de facto my personal trainer. We like going to the gym on the weekends when it's much emptier and we can use equiptment. 

Dynamic warmup

Circuit 1, 10 sets with 1.5 minute rests (I leanred I hate resting that long and doing this many sets, this took forever)

10 seated rows at 20 lbs

10 dumbbell chest presses 15 lbs each hand

Circuit 2, 3 sets (much much less annoying)

10 chest flies at 20 twice and 15 once

10 assisted pull-ups at offest level 16 (wide grip, not chin ups)

15 rope slamming things

Running intervel sprints!

5 minute warmup run 4-5

10 intervals of:

1:25 minutes walk at 3.5/4

45 second sprint at 7, 7.5, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 8.5, 8, 7.5, 7

5 minute cool down at 4-6

Finished up with a walk to Chipotle for delicious burrito eating!

Movement: 3/3

Strength: 2/2

Pull-ups: 3/3 

Cooking: 9/10

• Like 1

Level 8 Princess Ranger

Week 1, Day 7

This morning my gym offered a free running clinic, which I was the only one to attend. So basicallly I got a half hour running focused personal training session. I had already done lunges and some other warm up exercises plus a bunch of stretching since I was a little stiff after my running yesterday. Then he had me do knee hug to lunge, side lunge shuffles, butt kicks, high knees and side shuffles. Then we did bridges to activate my gluttes (with some technique correction which was helpful) and knee lifts with a resistance band.

Then he watched me run at 6 for a bit, and said I have good form. I'm a natural midfoot striker (I think all the ballerina walking I did makes it easier for me). I do tend to arch my lower back a bit, so I need to work on loosening my hip flexors and engaging my core. Then I ran at 30 second intervals at 8, still with good form just a little bouncy. Didn't know that was a thing, but once he told me I could tell I was doing it. He said to lengthen my stride a little bit and smooth out my gate, and I was able to fix it immediately. I also need to remember to put the tradmill on a 2-3 incline, which I never do.

Then we did sprints down the hallway to check that I could fix my sprint stride not on a treadmill.  Then we did hip stretches, with form correction (I love form correction. It's so important to have someone checking you periodically to avoid accidental bad habits!) and plank with yet more form correction. 

I feel a lot better knowing that I actually have good form, since I just started running without any training. You hear so much about the importance of form and there is a lot of conflciting info. I have a longer run planned for later today outside so that should be fun.

• Like 3

Level 8 Princess Ranger

Long run results: OW  Haha my calves were very mad at me after I ran/walked 3.5 miles. The breakdown according to my fitbit is thusly (technology is amazing):

Mile 1 Avg Pace 14'51": Walking down the hill to get to the point where it would be 3 miles, then hovering between and 8-10 minute pace with a couple of stops for traffice and some walking around .5 mile. 

Mile 2 Avg Pace 11'52": Alternating between running and walking, with the running hovering around 8-11. Running into the wind is much harder! But still, I never stopped and I ran more than half of it. 

Mile 2.5 Avg Pace 15'24: I actually finished the circuit of the pond and managed sprinting at the end up to a 6 mile pace! For like a second. But whatever. I'm totally fast. At this point I rejoined my roommate who had got there ages before me, because she is actually fast. I stopped to pant and then we started walking back slowly, because my calves were trying to make me lie down. 

Mile 3.5 Avg Pace 17'52": I then walked kinda limped the rest.

Arrive home, sit down on floor and slowly start stretching. Used The Stick we bought earlier that morning (excellent timing) gingerly on my legs. I'm not up to running the whole 5k yet, but at least I know I can finish one! Treadmills aren't as reassuring as actually running it outside. 

• Like 1

Level 8 Princess Ranger