A wild Wanderbound appears!

wanderbound

Hi everyone! New recruit here, primed and ready for my first challenge. I’m early posting this (because EXCITEMENT), but I read through examples and the recruit challenge guide on the previous challenge forum, so hopefully I’ve set it up correctly.

My intro post is here! TL;DR summary: I have been running for a few years, but I want to cross train for better weight loss results and to improve my currently nonexistent level of upper body strength.

Main Quest: Lose 15 pounds by September 2015 while building core & upper body strength through regular body weight or free weight exercise. Maintain a regular running schedule and begin training for my first marathon in fall of 2015, hopefully run the big 26.2 in April of 2016.

Challenge Goals:

Goal 1: Complete the Beginner Body Weight workout 3x a week in addition to running at least 2x weekly. This may be challenging as I am spending some time in semi-rural Japan during this challenge and it can be difficult to find areas safe for running on the narrow streets. I'm hoping adding an extra three workouts weekly to what I already do will enhance the weight loss & build a core strength that will improve my running ability.

Also, this will be my first experiment with body weight exercise, sooooo we'll see how that goes.....

A – 5/5 weekly workouts
B - 4/5 weekly workouts
C – 3/5 weekly workouts
D – 2/5 weekly workouts
F – 0 – 1/weekly workouts

Final grade will be the average of weekly grades. If completed, this will be either a STR point or a STA point.

Week 1 workout total: 5/5 (3 bw, 2 runs) - A
Week 2 workout total: 6/5 (3 runs, 3 bw) \o/ A+!
Week 3 workout total: 6/5 (3 runs, 3 bw ) - A+
Week 4 workout total: 5/5 (2 runs, 3 bw) - A!
Week 5 workout total: 5/5 (2 run, 3 bw) - A!
Week 6 workout total: 4/5 (2 run, 3 bw) - A!

Goal 2: Cut down on calorie intake via alcohol. Drinking alcohol is permissible at work-related functions (max 2 glasses of wine or cocktails with non-soda mixers) and when visiting friends/family. NO drinking wine in my hotel rooms while working on paperwork.

A+ for sticking to the rules, minus half a grade for each night rules are broken.

This will be a WIS point as it's about WILL POWER, BABY!

Week 1: A+! Stuck to my rules all week, I only had one drink outside of work with a friend in Tokyo on Saturday afternoon, which is allowed. The real challenge comes this week when I'm staying with friends...
Week 2: I thought this week would be tough, but the friend I visited was sick for half of my stay and thus booze free. Despite the slight bummer that was an ill friend, I did stick to my rules. Drank three nights, but had 1 - 2 glasses each time.

Week 3:  I'm off work for two weeks -- so far I've drunk on three nights, and allowed myself one extra drink to celebrate the Age of Ultron release with friends on Thursday.  I am going to give myself a B+, for the bonus booze.

Week 4:  Didn't work this week, so I drank a bit more than usual.  I never drank over the calorie count I was associating with my wine intake, but I'm gonna say B+ again just because... not perfect?

Week 5:  Back at work!  Stuck with all my goals thus far!

Week 6:  So far so good!

Goal 3: 

PUSH UP CHALLENGE VOLUME ONE. Improve my personal max push-up total from 5 to 12. I'll be adding push-up sets to my body weight circuit every other day, attempting to increase my grand total at least one push-up per week, with one to grow on for good measure.

A - 12
B - 9 - 11
C - 5 - 9

This would naturally earn a point in STR... but man, I despise pushups. BRING IT.

Week 3 update: I'm up to eight pushups, and man, this has thus far been the toughest part of this challenge for me. I feel like I overestimated my ability to improve, particularly since I learned rather quickly that my form was terrible, and correcting that has been painful. Hoping to hit a breakthrough at some point. :/

Week 4 update:  Hit ten pushups!!  Maybe I'll actually hit 12 after all.

Week 5:  TWELVE PUSHUPS, PEOPLE.  TWELVE.

If I follow my goals I'm hoping to lose six pounds from challenge starting weight, putting me close to halfway to my current goal weight. On 4/13 I weighed in at 67.5 kg or 148.5 pounds.

Week three update: I weighed in Sunday night at 142.5 pounds, so this at least is going in the right direction... UNLIKE MY PUSHUPS.

Bonus! Life Quest:

Read 2 self-improvement books on interpersonal communications - for this challenge I've selected "Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well" and "How to Speak, How To Listen". Earn .5 charisma points per book!

I'm not sure how to allocate points for this -- my understanding is that newbies get 10 points to reflect current/starter stats when they level up 3 weeks in and then an additional 1 per completed goal if they finish the first challenge, ending at level 2 with 14 points. Is that right? If you have advice on allocation I'd love to hear it!

• Like 2

:: wanderbound ::

Level 2 Gryffindor half-elf assassin & rider in The Wild Hunt

STR: 4 |  DEX: 2  |  STA: 2  |  CON: 0  |  WIS: 4  |  CHA: 1 

..... current (2nd) challenge! ..... epic quest! .....

“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.†― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

The set up looks good! I like the quests and goals you've set!

And that is correct you get to ding level 1 once you are 3 week through the challenge and you get to allocate 10 attribute points. You ding level 2 once you complete the challenge giving you a possibility of earning 4 more points (1 point per quest you completed.)

Then your second challenge you will have the possibility of earning 15 points split between your quests. But lets not worry about that one for now!

Good luck on the challenge, it's great to have you here!

-Tixnleeches

Starting: Weight 176lbs | Bodyfat ~19% | Current: Weight 184lbs | Bodyfat ~16.5% | Goal: Weight 190-200lbs | Bodyfat 6-10%

Level 2 Human Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge : Completed.

Second Challenge : In progress.

Tixnleeches Epic Quest (Life Goals) : In Progress

How are you planning on losing those 6lbs?  And if you don't lose 6lbs is that a fail?  Your other goals should support that goal (which technically is your main goal), so maybe look at another goal that will support the weightloss?

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Assassins' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks guys!!

Blaidd, thanks!  Can I get a Rangers tag, too?  I already run regularly, but want to improve my core strength through crosstraining.  I think adding an anaerobic exercise in the body weight work and then cutting alcohol calories from the diet both will contribute to my main quest, and six pounds is the progress I'd like to have by the end of May.  Or should I pick a third goal that's not the identical to my main quest?

Thanks everyone!!  Also, I did totally forget the MINI QUESTS!  Fab! 

“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.†― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Or should I pick a third goal that's not the identical to my main quest?

I think that would be a good idea. The scale can be fickle. Also some people gain weight, because they build muscle. The third goal should be something, that helps you to accomplish your life goal.

I completed my first challenge a few days ago. Some examples for weighloss goals could be:

- drinking enough water every day

- counting calories or writing down your eating habits

- keeping away from sweets

- getting enough sleep every day

- learning to prepare homemade food

I hope, I was able to help you.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Thanks, Luciana!  I'll give this a think.  I am already pretty happy with my dietary habits, so I'm hoping that adjusting a few vices -- added salt, wine, and dairy -- and adding some additional workout to the schedule will be the only changes I need.  Maybe I'll relate that third goal more to the cross-training element of my workout routine, since that's new and what I want to focus on in this six week period.  

Maybe I'll make it related to pushups... I despise pushups, so that would be a tough item to check off...

Push-ups and planks are also a good way to measure your progress. I hate/love push-ups, too. So I can relate to this goal. At the moment I can only do 8 normal push-ups. For my circuits I'm doing kneeling push-ups.

Or perhaps you want to try something new? Something you always wanted to try out. For example bouldering. I practiced fencing for my last challenge and had a lot of fun. Find something, you enjoy doing.

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

After some thought I've decided to change my last goal to something strength-related.  Due to my line of work, I don't have access to equipment or classes, hence my focus on low-equipment workouts like running/body weight exercises.  I've jump started my routine for this challenge this week, but when doing my beginner body weight work today I managed a grand total of....five full push ups.  Womp womp!

Since I'm already pretty happy with my running routine, it makes sense to create a goal pertaining more to the strength side of my fitness goals...  Sooo I'm going to push myself and try to complete 12 true push ups by the end of the six weeks.  Is this a realistic goal??  I am not sure if 10 is more realistic or would simply be less challenging.  

Where in semi rural Japan? I lived up north in Iwate-ken a few years back and can recommend some fun things to try.

In the meantime the local schools usually have bars outside that are great for pull ups, dips and such. If you go after hours you won't be such a creeper. Look for shrines on hills for running. Almost always safe and low traffic.

Push ups are great, but can be tough. Start by doing them on your knees and progress from there. Or if you can find a school do upside down pull ups on the bar. A few hotels have gyms but it is rare.

Good luck!

• Like 1

'Not all who wander are lost.'

Heyo!  Were you a JET in Iwate?  I actually taught for two years in Kumamoto, smack dab in the middle of Kyushu....  I'm going back down for ten days at the end of this month, but I work in Japan for a month or two every year, and go from Kyoto and Tokyo to areas like Hakone and Takayama.  I stay in the same hotels over and over, and while two have gyms, none of the others have anything to offer.  

The school idea is a great one!!  Thanks!!

I worked for a company called Interac, think JET light. We took over English positions as the JET program pulled out of areas. 

Gan Batte! It can be tough eating right while your on the road, and Japan has so much yummy rice to eat. While Yakitori is delicious it is not something you would want everyday. (Just most days...)

Cheers

'Not all who wander are lost.'

I think Interac was doing the same in my area -- at the time there was a lot of contention around JET since the program was so expensive for schools.  Cool!!  I've never been further north than Tokyo but I'd really like to explore northern Japan.  

Onigiri are a huge weakness of mine... and I do love yakitori and yakiniku.  Fortunately since I'm gluten free now, there's lots of food I can't be tempted by.  Still, it can be difficult to never be able to cook your own chow...

Onigiri are a huge weakness of mine... and I do love yakitori and yakiniku.  Fortunately since I'm gluten free now, there's lots of food I can't be tempted by.  Still, it can be difficult to never be able to cook your own chow...

Em... rice has nothing to do with gluten. At least if you are gluten intollerant. I have a friend who has to watch what she is eating and she eats a lot of rice and potatoes. If you are referring on Paleo on the other hand, than I didn't say anything.

Spoiler

Em... rice has nothing to do with gluten. At least if you are gluten intollerant. I have a friend who has to watch what she is eating and she eats a lot of rice and potatoes. If you are referring on Paleo on the other hand, than I didn't say anything.

I eat onigiri (hence the weakness!) and sushi, as well as lots of veggie/fish/tofu-based food in Japan.   I don't eat things like ramen, udon, soba (unless it's 100% buckwheat), takoyaki, okonomiyaki, tonkatsu, normal tempura (sometimes they can do it with rice flour) etc.  A lot of Japanese food isn't rice-based, so I have to be careful, particularly with their sauces.  Fortunately I've been GF since 2009 so I've got it down to a science these days!

Oh my sorry. I miss read your comment. It's getting late here. I should definitly head to bed. Bytheway I'm a big sushi fan, too. I hope me and my bf while be able to visit Japan one day. He learnt a little Japanese at university... He's such a geek. ^^

Good night and have a nice weekend.

Spoiler

No worries!   I know you only shared to be helpful!

You should absolutely visit, it's a wonderful country to spend time in!!  The people are absolutely lovely and all the food, gluten free or otherwise, is great!

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED, REPEAT, THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.

I promise I won’t update this thing every day, but I was so excited that the 13th is finally here that I just had to try.  I’ve been unofficially following the challenge rules in the week since I posted this, but as today was the Real Deal I wanted to post.

Today I did 3x Beginner body weight workout, skipping the dumbbell reps and swapping for a wall sit.  I did 5 full pushups in the first circuit, 3 in the second, 2 in the third.  Finished all sets with pushups on my knees, so hopefully that'll do some good anyway.

I kind of wish I was traveling with a yoga mat or something because ew, hotel carpet.  Much grosser up close and personal when you fall flat on your face mid-pushup…. next time I’m definitely putting down a towel.

If anyone has a solution for the dumbbell reps I'm all ears – I can’t think of a practical way to do them living out of a suitcase.  Carrying an empty milk-jug is a waste of suitcase space, carrying weights won't work with airlines... I've used inflatable water-weights before, but they get really stinky and gross since the interior never really dries out.  Today I tried with 500 ml water bottles of free water in my room, but the weight really wasn’t significant.   I’m thinking I need to do a bit of research and try to find another upper body workout move that won’t require any equipment.

Tomorrow is going to be cold and rainy, but my current plan is run, soggy or otherwise.... GET THAT EXP!

What exercises are you currently doing that need the dumbbells?

Starting: Weight 176lbs | Bodyfat ~19% | Current: Weight 184lbs | Bodyfat ~16.5% | Goal: Weight 190-200lbs | Bodyfat 6-10%

Level 2 Human Assassin

What exercises are you currently doing that need the dumbbells?

Right now I'm not doing anything with dumbbells -- the beginner body weight circuit calls for dumbbell rows using a gallon milk jug and a chair, but I live out of a suitcase and can't carry anything that large or heavy with me.  Some, but not all, of the hotels I work in/with have gyms.

I'll have access to fitness equipment for most of the summer, but until then I'm trying to find another upper body exercise that doesn't call for equipment... I'm totally open to suggestion!

ETA:  Today I swapped in two sets of five chair dips and was definitely feeling the burn...  

Miniquest number one!!

1.  Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?

I think so!  Efforts at slow but steady weight loss have generally worked for me in the past.  I dropped from 193 – 160 with diet alone, so I think rolling exercise in will have a positive impact at this point.  Dropping 15 pounds in six months is only just over two pounds a month, which is definitely achievable.

2.  Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?

Increasing overall burn should directly affect my weight loss, and the secondary part of my main goal deals with functional strength to reduce back pain and the possibility of injuring myself at work, so the body weight workouts address that nicely.

3.  Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

I’m not sure if my pushups total is realistic.  I have no real idea how quickly I will build muscle in that department, as I’ve never done any kind of concentrated upper body workout before.  I thought that one extra pushup a week would be a realistic goal, but given how noodle-like my arms are feeling today, a dozen pushups may have been overly ambitious.

4.  Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?

Yes, the tracking is in my main post – the only one without a hard metric is booze.  I only want to make realistic changes to my habits, ones that will be easy to maintain… and I love my drink. I was vague with my wording because I don’t want to be put in a position where my minmaxing brain makes me feel bad about or refuse a second glass of wine. XD 

That said, I spend a lot of my free time alone due to the nature of my work, and drinking alone is generally a bad thing, so as long as I refrain from hitting the sauce when I’m by myself AND as long as I drink in moderation when the situation calls for it I am generally going to count this as a win.

5.  How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

I’m grading myself by the week and averaging the scores.

6.  What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

Boo, haven’t even thought about this. I suppose I’ll just cut out or reduce the physically demanding portions of my goal, or shift the focus to healthy muscle groups.  Realistically, if I got hurt or seriously ill I would likely need to drop the challenge entirely and prioritize my health for the sake of my income.

7.  Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

My normal schedule is so varied that this type of thing doesn’t really affect the regularity of my workouts, etc.  I’m visiting my parents for two weeks and visiting friends for another two weeks, but I expect the first two goal will be simple to work into that schedule.  The drinking goal may be more challenging.

8.  Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?

I am finding that focusing on pushups in addition to the body weight workout isn’t giving me much variety in my workout, but maybe that’s just my pushup-hating brain transferring it’s displeasure at the new routine?

9.  Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

Sometimes.   My schedule is hugely variable from week to week, so I don't really have the option of building more time into what I do; however, I often have a window of time in which I could theoretically work out, but the idea of doing seems inconvenient and tiresome. This challenge is definitely (in the... two days I've had to think about it...) making me prioritize health and fitness in my free time.

10.  Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

The only habit I’m looking to build is in my booze-related goal – but most of my energy is focused on building strength and stamina.

You can try inverted rows, using a table/desk in your hotel room? It's definitely hard working out at a hotel especially if they don't have a gym. Gotta get a little creative sometimes!

If you can do a plank well, you could try starting with a normal plank and then bring one arm out to the side and hold it in the air, that will definitely burn the back muscle if nothing else! Or if you can find a park in the area you can easily find a place to do pullups / pullup negatives.

How heavy is your suitcase that you bring on average?

Level 2 Human Assassin

Usually right around 45 pounds, plus a carry-on I refer to as my "mobile office"... that's probably another 20 pounds.  I do enjoy planking, and a basic plank is already part of the circuit so it would be easy to incorporate.... Thank you for the suggestions!!  

• Like 1

Usually right around 45 pounds, plus a carry-on I refer to as my "mobile office"... that's probably another 20 pounds.  I do enjoy planking, and a basic plank is already part of the circuit so it would be easy to incorporate.... Thank you for the suggestions!!  

45lbs is easily enough to do the rows with! Have you given that a shot? Even the 20lb carry on would be great with chair rows.

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Assassin