Salivanth Does 10k Training!

Who Am I?

Hi guys! I'm Salivanth. To get the stats out of the way, I'm male, 23, 5'4'', 59 kg (130 lb), Australian, and getting ready to study Computer Science via distance education starting in July. As of April 13, I'll have been working out for exactly one year. I've mostly been doing bodyweight strength training with the Assassins, but a few months ago I started running. Last challenge I improved my 5k time from 29:56 to 28:16, and this challenge I'm increasing the distance to 10k. 57:26 is my goal time (I'll explain why a bit later in the post), but I'd be happy with any time that's under an hour. I consider myself an Assassin/Scout, so I'll be working towards goals from both classes. However, each challenge I'm planning to pick a goal that I want to achieve by the end of the challenge, and that goal determines what class I choose. Since I want to complete a 10k this challenge, that means I'll be boarding with the Scouts.

Goals

So, let's get into it! What am I trying to achieve this challenge?

Goal One: Run 60 miles over the course of the challenge. (+3 STA)

The big one, and the reason I've chosen the Scouts for my challenge! I've never run further than 5k in one run before, but a few months ago I couldn't run a mile, so I'm confident I can build my way up to the distance. I'll be using Hal Higdon's 10k program, modified slightly to reach my goals. Naturally, I'll need to run 10 miles a week on average to complete this goal. This is achievable by following the program I'm on, with a couple of extra short runs sprinkled in there. I'll be running Monday, Thursday, and Saturday, with an optional extra run on Tuesday. I may also choose to run Monday, Tuesday, Saturday; I'm fairly flexible depending on the weather and how I feel that day. As long as I get 3 runs in each week, and one of them is a long run, I should be alright to achieve this goal.

Grading: -1 stat point for every 6 miles not done. (42 miles or less: failure)

Goal Two: Complete 3 strength workouts per week. (+3 STR)

I'll be using the Parallettes One program created by Gold Medal Bodies for my strength work. It's a 3-month beginner program that puts a heavy focus on perfect form, and the later portions of the program focus heavily on flow, i.e, stringing moves together. This is important to me because I'd like to be able to perform a basic gymnastics routine eventually. One of my medium-term goals is to be able to complete this routine:

Yes, that's a 7-year-old completing this routine. Gymnasts start very young, but if I want to progress along that path, even at my age, I need to swallow my pride and start from the beginning. I may never be a competitive gymnast, but I'll at least be the best I can.

Grading: -1 stat point for every 2 workouts skipped. (12 workouts or less; failure)

Goal Three: Complete daily yoga practice. (+3 DEX)

For flexibility, I've recently taken up yoga. I'm currently halfway through DoYouYoga's 30-day yoga challenge, and once I'm finished with that, I'll start from the beginning again. I may take up dedicated hamstring stretching at some point throughout the challenge as well, to improve the pike flexibility I'll need for gymnastics. I'd like to get the yoga habit cemented too. Likely I won't add hamstring stretching until next challenge, and only if I do well on this one. Adding small habits over time is what got me here, after all.

Grading: -1 stat point for every 5 yoga workouts skipped. (27 yoga days or less; failure)

Diet Goal: Eat within 50 calories of my target each day. (+2 CON)

As I'm trying to bulk up this challenge, I'll be eating at 2,150 calories per day, plus 100 calories per mile on days that I run. I'm aiming to gain 2-3 kg this challenge; any less and I need to up the calories, any more and I should reduce them a bit. I'm giving myself permission to alter my calorie amount as required for this challenge.

Grading: -1 stat point for every 5 days not reached. (32 days or less; failure)

Quests

Nerd Fitness wisdom suggests that goals should be process-oriented, not results-oriented, and I agree with this. However, I also like having specific goals to aim for in a challenge, so I call those quests and assign a few stat points to their completion. Here are my quests for this challenge.

Quest One: Complete a set of 3 pull-ups. (+1 STR)

My Main Quest as detailed in my signature is to be able to do 3 sets of 8 pull-ups and 3 sets of 8 dips. I'd be remiss if I didn't include that in my goals somewhere. I can currently do 2 pull-ups, so this isn't a particularly huge ask, but it should help me stay on track with my pull-up work. 

Quest Two: Complete a 10k in less than an hour. (+1 STA)
Quest Three: Complete a 10k in less than 57:26. (+1 STA)

These quests are pretty self-explanatory, except for the 57:26 time. It's oddly specific, so I'll explain why I've chosen that as my goal. In a book called Daniels' Running Formula, whom I bet a lot of the experienced Scouts have heard of, there's a measurement called VDOT. VDOT represents oxygen consumption, and is based on race speed. It can be based on distances from 800m to marathon, and ranges from 20 (Basically a brisk walk) to 85. (Pro athlete/world record/beyond WR depending on the exact race.) My current VDOT is 33, and was 31 about 2 months ago. This challenge, I want to increase it to 34. Someone with a VDOT of 34 should be expected to run a 57:26 10k, so that's why I chose it as the time I'm aspiring to.

Quest Four: Reach 61-63 kg (136-139 lb) in weight. (+1 CON)

Lastly, I'd like to reach the 61-63 kg weight range by the end of the challenge, seven weeks from now. Being outside of this range indicates something wrong with my diet. I'll be weighing myself halfway through the challenge to see how it's going, and adjust calories accordingly. If I'm within this range, it means I'm bulking correctly; not bulking so slowly I don't gain much muscle, nor so quickly that I'm gaining mostly fat.

Conclusion

So that's my challenge this time around. I'll use this week to make sure everything's in order, and then get right into it next week. I'm really looking forward to doing a challenge with you guys. Best of luck to everyone in their training / races! 

Thanks for reading!

• Like 4

This is a great write up, man.

I really like the idea of dual class with main focus on one per challenge with that guild. Makes a lot of sense.

I like the weight goal a lot too. It's good to know the range that works for you. And pull ups baby!

looking forward to seeing your progressions!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Be careful with VDOT times, especially since you aren't acclimated to the longer distance yet.  But definitely have fun running longer and looks like a good set of goals.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Be careful with VDOT times, especially since you aren't acclimated to the longer distance yet.  But definitely have fun running longer and looks like a good set of goals.

Yeah, I figured VDOT times would assume I was equally good at running both distances, whereas I don't have any 10k experience. Hence why I'll be happy with any time under an hour, and improving my VDOT is just a nice bonus :)

This is a great write up, man.

I really like the idea of dual class with main focus on one per challenge with that guild. Makes a lot of sense.

I like the weight goal a lot too. It's good to know the range that works for you. And pull ups baby!

looking forward to seeing your progressions!

Thanks! Progression-wise, my plan is to do negative pull-ups at a 10-second cadence until I can do sets of 8. (Currently doing sets of 4) I'm going to be trying out different ways of incorporating them into my parallette program, which is exclusively pressing when does as written. My possibilities are to do a set between each other exercise (So, for example, 3 sets of push-ups, 1 set of pull-ups, 3 sets of plank holds, 1 set of pull-ups, 3 sets of mountain climbers, 1 set of pull-ups, etc.) or to just do 3 sets at the end of all my other stuff. It'll depend on how fatigued I am by the pull-ups throughout the workout, and whether or not this affects my form in the rest of the exercises.

Of course, I could try doing sub-max sets this way and just do sets of 3. I'll do some experimenting this week and see how I wish to go forward :)

• Like 1

Week Zero:

1) Run at least 8 miles.
2) Do at least 2 strength workouts.
3) Do yoga at least 5 times.
4) No sweets. (Have to build up that calorie bank first!)

I'll allow myself leeway on number 1 if my foot is still bothering me in a few days. I went to the gym on Saturday and did squats, and I think my form was off, as the outside of my right foot was playing up something fierce on my Monday run. Like an idiot, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, and I had plenty of time to reflect on my idiocy as I walked the route back instead of running in order to protect my foot. That said, I have three days until my schedule has me running again, so hopefully it'll have cleared up by then.

Thanks bgvanbur for the idea! I think you may have started a trend. I'll have to take it back to the Assassins next challenge and see what they think :)

• Like 3

Did my first parallette workout today. My idea of adding a single sub-max set of negative pull-ups after every exercise is working well. It wasn't too fatiguing, and I was able to do 5 sets of 3 10-second negatives throughout the workout. I've heard pull-ups respond well to high volume, so considering the slowness of my negatives, this definitely ought to be quite a bit of volume to be going on with. I'll aim to build up to 5 sets of 5 negatives by the end of the challenge, which should be enough to achieve 3 pull-ups without trouble. Eventual progression is intended to be 5x8 10s negatives -> 5x8 chin-ups -> 5x8 pull-ups. I imagine that'll take quite a few months to reach, however. 

• Like 2

The Hal Higdon 10K plan is really awesome, it's what I have always turned to when I needed to get back up to a 10K distance.

you and I have the same nerdiversary! :)

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Nice write up, useful advice on pull ups. I'll also be flip-flopping between Assassins & Scouts. For the last few years I've focused on running so going with Assassins this time, but will be with the scouts later in the year ;)

• Like 1

Level 4|TIE Fighter Pilot Scout

|STR 9|DEX 1|STA 3|CON 6|WIS 3|CHA 1|

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

1st challenge   2nd challenge  3rd challenge   4th challenge  5th Challenge  6th Challenge Current Challenge

It looks like I'll be taking the rest of the week off running, due to a nagging foot pain. Annoying as it is, it would be far more annoying to be laid up for weeks or months. I won't try and run on it again until the challenge begins, and then I'll see how I go. If I have to alter the challenge due to injury, I will.

On the plus side, I got pleasantly diverted from my programming coursework today. Instead of watching the lecture I was supposed to watch, I wound up spending an hour and a half building a random item generator instead. Considering the idea of the course is to get better at programming, I'm still happy with that result. Here's a sample output of 5 random items:

+3 Hauberk of the Scion

37 Armor
+4 Strength
+4 Dexterity
+4 Intelligence
+6 Stamina

+1 Robe of the Ranger

10 Armor
+3 Dexterity
+3 Stamina

Robe of the Scion

9 Armor
+1 Strength
+1 Dexterity
+1 Intelligence
+2 Stamina

Hauberk of the Marauder

30 Armor
+2 Strength
+2 Stamina

Breastplate of the Witch

29 Armor
+3 Intelligence

+3 Stamina

Stat and armor numbers are both determined randomly, using a triangular range, and multiplied by bonus level. (0 to +5, each bonus being twice as rare as the previous one)  

Armor is adjusted based on item type. (Breastplates give 4x the armor on average as Robes do)

Non-Stamina stats are allocated based on a random distribution. (60% 1 stat, 30% 2 stats, 10% 3 stats). All items give Stamina. Suffixes are based on Path of Exile classes, because why not?

I don't have any plans to put this into a larger game, but I've set the whole thing up as a series of helper functions so that I could expand the program if I wanted to. Good way to spend my required 2 hours of programming work.

I promise that most of my posts will be talking about running and other workouts, rather than programming, but there wasn't much else to talk about today.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you are having some foot problems, especially right before a challenge when one is anxious to get started.  Perhaps it's a plantar fasciitis type thing?   i struggled with that a couple years ago and it started as pain on the outside of the foot.  i didn't know what it was at the time so it just got worse.  Have you tried some stretching?

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Sorry to hear you are having some foot problems, especially right before a challenge when one is anxious to get started.  Perhaps it's a plantar fasciitis type thing?   i struggled with that a couple years ago and it started as pain on the outside of the foot.  i didn't know what it was at the time so it just got worse.  Have you tried some stretching?

I think what's most likely happened is that I put too much weight on the outside of my foot when doing squats last week. I don't normally do them, and I don't go to the gym very often, so I'm not surprised my form was off. 

In case I'm wrong though, how would you stretch that area?

EDIT: Just did some research. It seems unlikely to be plantar fasciitis. Usually that pain manifests itself in the heel, while mine is on the outside edge of the foot. It's also said to be most intense during the first steps of the day or after long periods of sitting, and I don't even feel more than the mildest of pains unless I start running on it.

I'll take the Robe of the Ranger, thanks! lol

Definitely a good call with the running. It sucks to be on the bench, but you are so right, it's better than being laid up with pain and injury for much longer.

Good luck with the healing.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Had a good parallette workout today. My form is getting better, the negative pull-ups feel a little easier, and I'm getting a handle on how the exercises are meant to be performed. Since my foot only hurts when I run on it, I'm going to take the opportunity to do a leg strength workout tomorrow, since I can't actually run. If the foot continues to be an issue when the challenge starts, I'll change my "60 miles" goal to "Do at least three leg workouts a week", whether that be cardio or leg strength.

The workout I'll be doing is the bodyweight leg module from Parallettes One, which involves squats, front/side/reverse lunges, and deck squats. If I end up doing leg strength instead of cardio during the challenge, I'll probably add weights to the squats and lunges. I only have about 25 kg (55 lb) of weights via a combination of a 10 kg (22 lb) bar and weights I can put in a backpack, so it won't scale well, but it's enough for me for now.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

Sounds like a great alternative plan. I was actually tempted to do lunges yesterday, but got... distracted? lol

But I think you're onto something. If I don't work on the very exercise I want to eventually be strong enough to do, I'll never see the progress along the way and my motivation will likely spoil. So, changing up some workout regimen. Thanks!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Had a good parallette workout today. My form is getting better, the negative pull-ups feel a little easier, and I'm getting a handle on how the exercises are meant to be performed. Since my foot only hurts when I run on it, I'm going to take the opportunity to do a leg strength workout tomorrow, since I can't actually run. If the foot continues to be an issue when the challenge starts, I'll change my "60 miles" goal to "Do at least three leg workouts a week", whether that be cardio or leg strength.

The workout I'll be doing is the bodyweight leg module from Parallettes One, which involves squats, front/side/reverse lunges, and deck squats. If I end up doing leg strength instead of cardio during the challenge, I'll probably add weights to the squats and lunges. I only have about 25 kg (55 lb) of weights via a combination of a 10 kg (22 lb) bar and weights I can put in a backpack, so it won't scale well, but it's enough for me for now.

Thanks for reading!

Looks like a great plan and its always good to be adaptable with your goals on case of injury etc.

Checking in from the X-Com Squaddies and saying hi.  It all starts tomorrow!

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Did a half mile walk plus a 1 mile run just now. My foot only started to act up at the end of the run, so I should be okay to start running again, though I'll be building up the distance as I'm capable. The challenge is still salvagable, and even if I don't quite get 60 miles, I'll still be okay with that. Let the challenge begin!

• Like 4