DrFeelgood III: The Defattening

Welcome back to the continuing saga of the incredible shrinking middle-aged man (and his IRL wife who is a Nerd by proxy).

s3CIhgR.gif

In the first installment we learned how to eat on purpose, started with actual exercise (beyond trundling to the fridge every fifteen minutes), and kicked a nasty soda habit that’s been plaguing me for decades. That challenge scored 16 ugly pounds, and I gained a bunch of experience in learning how to play this fitness game.

As an encore to that my second challenge encompassed further discipline with eating, more intense exercise with real purpose, and a solid effort to develop a habitual bedtime routine. We racked up another 13 pounds, and in the process I acquired a significant number of keys, tools, and weapons that will enable me to progress further than I’ve gone yet.

Like most trilogies this third iteration will closely follow the same themes, but we’ll make the baddies badder, the drama larger, and the payoff will be so much sweeter. And to keep it all fresh I’ve given it a bit of a new look, some of which you’ll have already noticed, no doubt. ;)

It’s time to be a Big Damn Hero.

FwjDw5y.jpg

So this is the plan.  Like before I'll keep this one continually updated so it doesn't clutter the thread.  Weekly check-in will be on Sundays again, and those updates will include my long-term weight-loss graph and my regular progress photos.

Goal 1 – Diet. I’ve had remarkable success with the dietary changes I’ve made to my life this year. I actually feel like I’m beginning to have real control over what goes in to the hole in my head. That said, all planning to date has been a hodge-podge of competing ideas that I’ve managed to make work. At times I’ve leaned Paleo, at others I followed the Alton Brown method of Four Lists, and the intervals were generally filled with a very-loose IIFYM counting strategy. All methods have yielded strong results, and I’ve even been able to make them cooperate for the most part. But along the way I’ve learned things—terrible things about carbs and insulin and hormonal regulation of satiety, cellular composition, and fat control.

Because of what I’ve learned I am no longer toying with my diet; no more impulse candy just because I can, no more routine breakfast smoothies, and no more starchy pasta or bread every day.  I’m going far more low-carb than ever, and I’m bringing the whole family on board with me. The S.M.A.R.T goal for this challenge will pair my regular zig-zag food logging with a concerted effort to keep carbs to 5g per 100 calories for 36 out of 42 days. Since my wife does most of the shopping and food prep and my kids do most of the eating, this goal comes with some real challenges. I believe we’re up to it. We’re using the off-week to get up to speed.  I'll be allowing one day per week for higher carbs to incorporate a "treat" meal for the kids (and my grocery budget), but everything will still be logged and total calories will still be controlled.

Goal 2 – Exercise. My hybrid Stronglifts-Angry Birds regimen was also successful, but I’m beginning to run into plateaus with certain barbell and bodyweight strength exercises. I’m also moving in to the time of year when I’ll be more active with my kids, housework, and recreation time; so I’m going to focus my workout energy on simply getting stronger. For this challenge I’m adopting the Wendler 5/3/1 program for gym time, and I’ll be incorporating the progressions from Start Bodyweight as an unloaded assist to the 5/3/1 lifts. It’s another hybrid plan, but most of my emphasis will be on conquering the barbells.

As always, I’ll do my usual warm-up and stretching routines before and after the main workout, respectively. The actual metric for achieving my exercise goal will be completion percentage of my planned workouts as shown on the spreadsheet log:

mZlLhGB.jpg

The coolest part about 5/3/1 is that it's already completely pre-programmed for the entire challenge.  In Week 6 I'll reward our hard work by taking Gym Buddy to the driving range and teaching him the golf swing--which he's never even attempted--unless it rains, in which case we'll probably just play some basketball that day.  The last Friday of the challenge I'll be on the road for the first leg of our summer family vacation.

jFA985c.jpg

There's only one way to take the whole tribe cross country. ;)

Goal 3 – Initiative. It’s no secret that my R2 unit has a bad motivator. I am the King of Snooze Tag, and even though I made real progress regularizing my sleep schedule in the last challenge I still struggle with getting up, moving, and out the door on time each day. I’m going to take the opportunity in this challenge to build on what I’ve already done and wean myself off the button. The Plan spreadsheet has a schedule for the entire challenge of my 36 Snooze targets, so I will grade myself on this goal just as a school teacher would. I expect this to be one of the toughest challenges I’ve tackled yet.

Side Quest – Domicile. I’m changing course on my typical Side Quest this time around since work doesn’t seem to want to cooperate with my professional-development goals right now. Instead, there are plenty of projects to do around my own house. The goal for this quest is to make a prioritized list of ten repairs or improvements that I want to complete and then begin ticking down the list as I knock them out. For purposes of this Quest I’m including the family vehicles, too, so it shouldn’t be at all difficult to come up with the top ten by Monday morning.

KM5EeSh.jpg

I’m charged up to keep at it. By the end of Week 1 I should no longer be “obeseâ€, according to the U.S. Government standards anyway. By the end of the challenge I’m hoping to be under 200 lbs for the first time since my wedding (lo these many years ago) and just in time for this summer’s family vacation wrapped around my sister’s wedding in San Diego. There’s much poolside and beach lounging to be had, y’all. It’s exciting times. Let’s DO THIS!

DRMPSSI.jpg?2

And even if we all fail, at least there’s chicken. :D

Next update: initial check-in on Sunday.

• Like 4

I love my spreadsheets. :)  They keep me focused.

I made the Plan sheet so that it will auto-populate the calories and carbs 'target' fields each week when I enter my check-in weight.  Then I'll use it to log my daily calories from food and exercise so it can also tabulate my estimated fat loss as a check on my logging accuracy.  I'm almost as pumped to see it in action as I am to get started with my new exercise regimen.

• Like 3

I’m going far more low-carb than ever, and I’m bringing the whole family on board with me. The S.M.A.R.T goal for this challenge will pair my regular zig-zag food logging with a concerted effort to keep carbs to 5g per 100 calories for 36 out of 42 days. 

I'm an engineer.  Are you an engineer?  Engineers love spreadsheets.

Just curious, when you say 5g of carbs per 100cals, does that 5g's include carbs from vegetables or just carbs from crap (sugar and starches).

• Like 1
I'm an engineer.  Are you an engineer?  Engineers love spreadsheets.

Just curious, when you say 5g of carbs per 100cals, does that 5g's include carbs from vegetables or just carbs from crap (sugar and starches).

I'm an architect, but the bulk of my current duties is PM with a team of engineers.

All sources of carbs count for the goal, but since I'm cutting starches out almost entirely the vast majority of my carbs during this challenge will naturally come from vegetables, fruits, and dairy anyway.  The only sweet I allow is my pre-workout square of dark chocolate.  Loosely put, if it's crap then I don't want to be eating it anyway. :D

This is what my carbs have looked like so far this year:

cMJIuOI.jpg

Not horrible but I hadn't really focused on them, and in my second challenge I introduced a breakfast fruit smoothie on "Off" workout days to keep my fiber up.  Come to find out that even a relatively (compared to "crap" like soda or AP-flour pancakes) slow blood-sugar spike first thing in the morning isn't real beneficial to control of insulin.  I'm going to be really strict with carbs in this challenge so I can loosen up a bit when we go on vacation at the end of May--and I very much want to be looking my best when we do so, too.

• Like 1

I think I am in love with your spreadsheets because one look and I got butterflies in my stomach and then Sixpence None The Richer started playing in my head. 

But ahem... YAS! On board again for super fun times!! 

Leigh Nash was my fantasy crush in college.  Her voice is sonic ice cream.

My girlfriend from that time probably still has my copy of This Beautiful Mess. :D

• Like 1

Leigh Nash was my fantasy crush in college.  Her voice is sonic ice cream.

My girlfriend from that time probably still has my copy of This Beautiful Mess. :D

The girl from Of Monsters and Men reminds me of her vocally. What do you think?

• Like 1

The girl from Of Monsters and Men reminds me of her vocally. What do you think?

I'm clearly and heavily biased toward my personal nostalgia, so there are many grains of salt to take with this opinion. ;)

There are tonal similarities--they share a preference for that register and both have a slightly breathy quality--but Leigh (at least on early Sixpence albums) has a more relaxed style, with a measure of control and greater mid-range clarity (not a value judgment, just observation).  The OMaM girl could be sonic fro-yo, though.  I could get on board with that. :)

That's only based on a quick Youtube listen, though, since I had to look them up.  Truthfully I don't listen to much new music anymore--for me pop music reached its zenith in 1999.

:lol:

ETA: now I'm on a Youtube tour of old albums.  Thanks, deftona!

That's only based on a quick Youtube listen, though, since I had to look them up.  Truthfully I don't listen to much new music anymore--for me pop music reached its zenith in 1999.

I don't think pop has ever had a zenith, unless you are just considering it in terms of "pop" being the shortened form of "popular" and then we can count whatever is in the charts. This could then include the grunge movement of the mid 90s, in which case that was the zenith, although this is a bit of a stretch of the term! 

I wouldn't count OMAM as pop though, I would say they were more folk, although definitely more on the mainstream side of folk. 

• Like 1

I don't think pop has ever had a zenith, unless you are just considering it in terms of "pop" being the shortened form of "popular" and then we can count whatever is in the charts. This could then include the grunge movement of the mid 90s, in which case that was the zenith, although this is a bit of a stretch of the term! 

I wouldn't count OMAM as pop though, I would say they were more folk, although definitely more on the mainstream side of folk. 

Apologies--I meant pop as in popular and not the genre.  And yes, all the best music is from the 90s: this is settled science. -_-

As with all subjective opinions, though, it's only true for the holder.  ;)

Boy, did I ever forget how good this Sixpence album was.  I need to get a new copy.

• Like 1

Check-in time:

Scale weight says 208.1 today!  I lost over 4 pounds in the interim week--flingin' 'eck (thanks, Sarah)!!  Trend analysis of my graph predicted I'd hit 210 today, so now I'm ahead of the curve that's ahead of the curve.  I'm TWO curves ahead!

Also, I'm now officially not obese, I'm just a regular overweight American!  My BMI is under 30 for the first time since 2003.  Rock the hell on!  And as icing on the whole kick-ass cake, I'm past halfway to my goal.  I'll use my long-term graph for updates in this challenge:

cn5UqaZ.jpg

Tracking body fat is giving me fits, though.  I've run my measurements through every calculator on the web, and no two gave anything like the same figure; but the most fun was this one:

9rhu75L.jpg

Huh?

My gym has one of those Tanita scales though, and that one said 20.2% at my last workout; so that's what I'll use for start and end numbers.  It's probably not very accurate, but it will at least be consistent.  Also, tape measurements:

nuHd9dT.jpg?1

Such improvement over where I started, and I expect to burn it up again this time.

I'm cautiously attributing the jump in weightloss to eating on the new plan already.  I spent last week getting adjusted to low-carb (<20% total dietary intake) and that's pretty much the only thing I did differently.  I did a bunch of yardwork yesterday, too.  It won't surprise me to see the rate slow for this first week, but I'll be pleased if it doesn't.  On the subject of low-carb, this was my Friday breakfast:

uE8UsIY.jpg

I haven't indulged myself like that in a while, and to think that's now part of my weightloss strategy...  Life is just too good.

So here's where I start.  Bring on tomorrow!

bL2GcNo.jpg

• Like 6

Also, I'm now officially not obese, I'm just a regular overweight American!  My BMI is under 30 for the first time since 2003.  Rock the hell on!  And as icing on the whole kick-ass cake, I'm past halfway to my goal.  I'll use my long-term graph for updates in this challenge:

uE8UsIY.jpg

I haven't indulged myself like that in a while, and to think that's now part of my weightloss strategy...  Life is just too good.

So here's where I start.  Bring on tomorrow!

bL2GcNo.jpg

I wish the government would get off the calories in - calories out = wt gain/loss theory and join the growing ranks who believe that its the type of calories consumed that matters.  Americans went on low fat eating trends for half a century while our wt continued to climb.  The government will probably be the last to ever admit that low carb (sugar and starch, not vegetable and fruit carb) diets is the way to go.  I've been listening to an audio tape called "The big fat lie" discussing how Keys (forerunner in deciding that fat caused weight gain and hear problems) hand picked countries that supported his hypothesis and ignored countries that didn't (such as Inuits, African tribes, and others).  Great job on the wt loss.  Wish I could stop by for steak and eggs.

Nice picture of your mirror. The advent of the cell phone camera has made us a nation of people who like to post pics of their mirrors. lol

• Like 1

We're on opposites team this time around, Doodly, assuming we have enough doodlies for 2 teams.  However, subbing for spreadsheet heaven.  Also for the battle against the snooze button.  I'm doing the same thing this challenge so maybe together we can slay the beast.  

• Like 1