DrFeelgood III: The Defattening

W1D1 - Not a great start. :tongue:  My very first goal of the day got submarined by a rough night's sleep.  I need to get back into the bedtime routine I established in the last challenge muy pronto.  Once I got going I pulled it all together and had a solid workout and excellent adherence to the eating plan.

I also not only finished creating my side-quest, I actually got started on it:

mT2qVHd.jpg

There's my list of (mostly) domicile tasks to complete.  I think I can get all of those done by the end of May.  That deck one may take a while, but it's the perfect time of year for that job as long as the rains give me a three- or four-day window.  I finished rebuilding it last spring, and it's finally ready for a good initial coat of stain.

Eating was fantastic.  I had a lot of wiggle room for carbs in today's log, but I'm going to try and be really strict with them this week to see what happens.  For lunch I had a bowl of Texas chili (beef, pork, chiles, spices, beer, and a bit of stock stewed low and slow yesterday) with a whole avocado diced on top.  It was so good.  Dinner was a pork loin chop with zucchini and a big salad.

Workout was really easy.  Like worryingly easy.  It seems as though everyone raves about the Wendler program though, so I'm going to stick with it for this challenge and see where it takes me.  With the barbells being such a walk, I may need to increase the amount of bodyweight assistance work I do after lifting.  I'm only afraid of not being able to make progress, but I guess I need to relax and trust the program.  I'd love to be well under 200 lbs in time for summer vacation.

I'm determined to get out of bed before three snoozes tomorrow morning. B)

• Like 2

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Hi, Kareesh. :)

W1D2 - managed to get up after three snoozes.  That's a pass.  No workout today, but I ate on target and stayed under my carb limit.  It's nice to be back on track.

It's not an official goal, but I'm trying to force myself back in to the bedtime routine I made last challenge.

Also, I am totally the kind of guy who would complete a task then add it to a list just so I could cross it off.  So I get a bonus line on my To Do List.  :D

Bxx29Ai.jpg

I've been busy, so tomorrow morning I intend to catch up with everyone else's challenges.  Hope it's going great so far!

• Like 2

Also, I am totally the kind of guy who would complete a task then add it to a list just so I could cross it off.  So I get a bonus line on my To Do List.  :D

I thought I was the only one doing that :P

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Terah, that won't be the last one, I'm sure. :D

W1D3 - forgot to set my alarm and slept way past when I should have gotten up.  Technically I didn't press snooze at all, so I'm calling it a pass for this occurrence and adopting an amended pass/fail measurement going forward: if I forget to set the alarm and sleep past my wake-up time, then I'll calculate the number of snoozes it would have taken before I get out of bed and use that for scoring.  Since most of those would probably be a hard "fail" I have some incentive to remember the stinkin' alarm.

Workout was solid: deadlift went well and then we knocked out two quick bodyweight progressions and cleared the gym.  Workouts are going pretty fast now, though; so I may add another circuit to the two BBWW circuits I already do for warmup.  Gym Buddy is leaving for his honeymoon and will be gone for two weeks, so I'll be on my own for a while.  That shouldn't be a problem with the 5/3/1 and bodyweight structure, though.  I'll only need a spot for my last set of Bench and there should be plenty of folks on hand who can do that for me.

Eating is coming along nicely.  I plan my meals a day in advance with MFP and then stick to the schedule--it's much easier for me that way.  I've been ignoring fiber so far as I work to keep my total carbs down, but I'm not sure that's a sustainable strategy.  I'll keep going for the rest of this week and then evaluate and adjust as needed to start Week 2.

My golf grips came in today and I got the parts for my Mazda repairs, too; so tomorrow I should be able to cross at least one of those off my To Done (thanks, Countess!) List. :)

• Like 4

Permanent home of the To Done List is now here now in the first post on Page 1:

Got the Mazda fixed, and so far everything is looking good.  Instead of $300 for a shop to do it, it cost me $50 in parts, $9 to rent a garage bay with tools, and 2 hours of my time.  It's nice to be able to do my own auto work.  Now I can get cracking on the minivan, which is our primary family toter, prior to taking it cross country on our big vacation trip.  Also, I got started with the golf clubs last night so maybe I'll make a little more headway there this evening.

W1D4 - only two snoozes (yay, discipline), calories right on the bulls-eye and carbs under limit.  I'm in to my second week of serious low-carbing now and it's getting a bit weird. It's not bad, just feels different and I don't know how to judge effectiveness yet.  Every time I make minor tweaks I fret about it, though, so I'm going to avoid worrying (as much as I can) until I get some more data points.  As of now I only have last week which was outstanding in terms of weight lost.  Time to relax and trust the process.

• Like 2

W1D4 - only two snoozes (yay, discipline), calories right on the bulls-eye and carbs under limit.  I'm in to my second week of serious low-carbing now and it's getting a bit weird. It's not bad, just feels different and I don't know how to judge effectiveness yet.  Every time I make minor tweaks I fret about it, though, so I'm going to avoid worrying (as much as I can) until I get some more data points.  As of now I only have last week which was outstanding in terms of weight lost.  Time to relax and trust the process.

I hear you on the mixing up your plan stress. I always tweak things and have a serious BUT WHAT IF IT WON'T WORK stress out. I have to tell myself "so what, you miss a week or two of weight loss and you learn some lessons". 

Trusting the process is definitely the way to go I think, it's a marathon (it might even be 20 consecutive marathons actually) and we will all cross the finish line in time! 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I always tweak things and have a serious BUT WHAT IF IT WON'T WORK stress out. I have to tell myself "so what, you miss a week or two of weight loss and you learn some lessons". 

Ordinarily I'd be fine with that, but this time around I'm really pushing hard to get down to 195 before my sister's wedding at the end of May.  I'll feel better when I see how this week went and whether my goals need tweaking or not.  I know in the long run I'll get there, so I'm not worried, per se; still it will be just a little disappointing if I don't quite make it in time.

To help keep my perspective, y'all can remind me that I only originally planned to be at 213 lbs by then--and I've already left that in the dust. ;)

-----------------------------

W1D5 - 3 snoozes today, but I could've got up after two.  I was enjoying the fact that I had one to spare. :D

Workout was good.  I did the extra BBWW circuit for warmup today, making a total of three full circuits.  I hammered all three out in less than fifteen minutes which was a major milestone I set for myself way back in Challenge 1!  Bench was a little less than I wanted, but perfectly serviceable.  I did the uneven pushups and one-leg extended inverted rows as my bodyweight accessories to today's lifts.  My only regret with this plan at the moment is that it's taking me so long to find my optimal starting point with the bodyweight stuff.  I should have it pinned down in a few more weeks, though, so I'll just have to be patient and work the program.

I'm still on fire with my eating.  Low-carb isn't easy, but it's not overly difficult either.  I find I'm getting way more fat when I reduce carbs, probably because protein is so stinkin' expensive right now.

Here's to a joyous and productive (or restful, as you see fit) weekend to all!  I'm going to take a crack at a couple more items on the List.

W1D6 - got a bit of an Irish tan today (aka, sunburn). :D

Beautiful morning to do a bunch of yardwork, and after mowing I got crackin' on my Side Quest List.  Golf club grips are all done, so I'm going to use an evening during the coming week to hit a bucket and test them out.  I got the A/C drain repaired on the Caravan, but my attempts to fix the cruise control have so far been rebuffed.  I swapped out a part tonight and we're taking a mini road trip tomorrow so I'll get to test it out in the morning.  The garage has been spruced up and the junk pile is gone, but I still need to return that bike.  Still, one more item crossed off and two in the hopper.  It's been a good day.

No alarm goal this morning.  I woke up naturally before seven a.m. anyway. :tongue:

Eating is still going well.  I think MFP may have lied to me about my dinner the other day though because I felt huge and it hasn't subsided yet.  Today was a bit lighter, so hopefully that will balance things out on the scale tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

No alarm goal this morning.  I woke up naturally before seven a.m. anyway. :tongue:

laughing_beaver_animated.gif

• Like 2
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Charts updated. :)

W1D7 - Sunday alarm is an hour later than weekdays, so only 1 snooze today and I didn't even finish it.  No formal workout, but we took a family shopping trip and walked a couple of miles inside the local Costco--after which I loafed and watched the Blackhawks game (go 'Hawks!).  I ate on target for calories today, but this was my free-day from counting carbs, which is why they're over target.  I think Sundays will continue to be my weekly free day throughout the challenge--it worked nicely.

Week 1 Check-in:  as expected, the numbers were not stellar today.  I haven't been slacking with my eating, and even though my workouts have eased up a little bit I still maintained an energy deficit all week.  For whatever reasons I lost only 0.9 pounds and a mere 1/8 of an inch (combined).  I think it was a combination of last week being artificially low and a couple of MFP items that didn't quite represent reality.  No matter--I'm still on the trend line over the last two weeks. :)  200 lbs is well in sight, now!

90mNVzQ.jpg

NHL Playoff beard has been activated.

Side quest has been really effective for me.  Of the ten original tasks I've already completed five.  Since I put number 11 in as an add-and-cross I thought I'd balance out the Force by finding a twelfth item that's still waiting to be done--plus I stumbled across materials that I purchased last year for this task but never got around to starting it. ;)  The part I replaced on the Caravan last night did fix the cruise control (which was nice to have on our 120-mile round-trip shopping drive) so I crossed that one off today.   One week in and I'm already half done.

fRnyLFZ.jpg

I invented a new lunch item at McDonalds today.  I call it the McQuattro: just a McDouble without the bread shoved in to another McDouble (two burgers, one bun? Father, please forgive me).  It's a decent low(ish)-carb option when out and about, and the kids were happy to share the extra bun.

While out today I got to buy some new clothes.  I've been particularly in need of some new smaller underpants...

zga5z5ddfpmi8ps6hh5o_zps0fafe817.gif

...but the gnomes at Costco don't seem to share my preferences for cut and style.  No matter, I still snagged a couple of polo shirts in a Men's Large and both fit very nicely.  I'm starting to swim in the old XL stuff in my closet, so it's nice to be frugal while building a trimmer wardrobe.  I've been holding up the NF t-shirt as a reward for achieving weight-loss milestones, but I think I'd rather just buy one now to support the site as a thank-you for all I've gained (er, lost) from being here.  As an alternative motivator, I'm going to treat myself to an afternoon of spa services when I cross the 200-lb line.

So far on this eating plan I've had my best week of weight-loss followed immediately by my worst week of weight-loss, and their average puts me right on track with all of my previous work when I was only counting calories. :D  I can't really draw any conclusions from that.

Alright Week 2, let's get some more data.

• Like 2

W2D1 - 3 snoozes after a rough night's sleep is still a pass for this week.  I bought a new pillow and I think it'll take some getting used to--it's one of those memory-foam-with-gel thingies.  I like it, but changes to the norm always mess with my sleep.  Tonight should go better given how exhausted I am.

Workout was excellent.  I did three circuits of BBWW for warmup followed by the 5/3/1 barbell squats.  Then I did my bodyweight assistance work with Bulgarian split squats and side planks, both of which I maxed and will be moving up a progression next week.  A good stretch routine helped me limber up before heading out the door to get home on time for dinner.  I still don't quite know how lifting less is going to affect my body composition, but it's certainly helping my daily schedule.  On the other hand, I did so many squats (and lunges) today that my legs have gone a bit to jelly, which hasn't happened in quite a while.  I'm taking it as a good sign that I did quality work. ;)

My eating today was the tightest of the challenge yet.  I came in close to total calories and almost bulls-eyed each of my macros.  I feel great, and that's shoring up my hunch that last week wasn't quite as low as the MFP numbers indicated (more than one of my planned meals last week left me feeling bloated and heavy).  I'm feeling more confident about my planning today, largely because I've gone back to basics and I'm keeping it simple with lots of fresh veggies and animal protein.

This is going to be a good week, I can feel it. B)

• Like 1

This is going to be a good week, I can feel it. B)

Yeah it is! Congrats on all the wins, you're doing stellar work, Doc!

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

You are smoking that snooze goal this time.  Great job on your goals.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

W2D2 - 3 snoozes again; I think I'm actually making things worse by not getting to bed on time but still forcing myself to get up.  I may be changing that goal after this week to go back to a bedtime goal, since that worked much better.

I went a bit over on calories today because I did a bit of experimental cooking after dinner and needed to taste-test.  It was pretty good.  Carb target was fine, but I'm starting not to like it.  That goal may get some revisiting this weekend, too.

Got number 12 on the To Do List crossed off. I can see in my garage, now. :)

You're doing great, as usual! Well done! 

I can see in my garage, now. :)

Love that feeling. Productivity ftw!

• Like 1

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

Alright kids, major malfunction detected.

3gBaQrS.gif

For the last week or so I've been eating according to my plan, but by the end of each day I've been feeling like I'm overeating.  I weigh all my portions and track very closely in MFP, and apart from a minor gaffe with a chuck roast last week I've been hitting my numbers.  I kept poring back over the chart trying to figure out what's going on, and tonight it finally hit me--I used a different formula in my spreadsheet for BMR than I had been using.  I was eating according to the plan alright, but it was the plan itself that was pushing me too high.  According to the bad numbers I should have lost 2.5 pounds last week.  Instead I lost less than 1.

After fixing my formula and reworking the spreadsheet, I think I've got my numbers sorted back to a good fat-losing rate.  The bad news is I've lost a week.  The good news is I found it now rather than later.  According to the new good numbers I should have lost 1.5 pounds last week.  That's far more within my acceptable margin of error.  Tonight constitutes a mini-reset, which will include pre-planning a couple of major changes to my goals beginning next week.  For continuity's sake I'm going to keep the previous charts in the first post and I'm going to load my rebooted charts to the very next post on this current page, and I'll link each update back to them.

Major change 1 - the "snooze" goal isn't working.  I'm able to meet it, but it's not helping my sleep at all.  Beginning next week I'm reverting to a bedtime goal.

Major change 2 - I've decided that I hate my current version of low-carbing.  It's far too restrictive and I'm just not seeing any benefit.  My energy levels are crap (though the sleep misses aren't helping), my mood is all over the place, and my appetite is completely unpredictable.  Perhaps my reach exceeded my grasp here, so I'm going to go back to being a bit more moderate while carrying over some of the lessons I've learned.  I'm still going to exclude almost all refined sugars and starches (especially wheat), but I'm increasing my daily limits to allow for more of the fresh fruits and vegetables that I had been enjoying and to facilitate workout days.  I need to give my grocery budget a break, too.  I'm also going to be far less rigid with it, so the carb "limits" on the chart are really functioning more like guidelines.

Graph and Charts

W2D3 - woke up feeling terrible, snoozed 4 times before I just shut the alarm off completely and slept for another hour.  Fail.

Workout was decent.  Even though the numbers don't reflect an improvement, I'm feeling stronger with the pullups progression.  My left side is so incredibly weak it's really holding me back.  I was against the clock for getting home though, so I only did two circuits for warmup and I skipped the stretching entirely--I'll do that later tonight at home.

Eating, well, I stuck to calories but overshot carbs according to the first Plan which is what inspired a closer look at it.  I guess it's a pass for the day, but on my revised charts all previous numbers will show as having failed because I changed the BMR calculation.  Whatever, I'm tired of thinking about it today and I'll be able to account for it when I evaluate at the end of the challenge.

Ugh.  I'm going to be kicking myself for the rest of this week, but at least I can look forward to some improvements next week.