Thalianost Defends the Hornberg

Thalianost

At the beginning of last challenge I was inspired to create a series of challenges based on major battles of Middle Earth.  Right now these challenges only contain the exercise aspect of the challenge so I will be adding other goals as well.  I decided to skip over the first couple as they are more geared to beginners or at least people who are where I was a few challenges ago.  If you are interested in using, viewing, or helping me construct these challenges there is the Link.  If you look at the challenges I posted in the other thread you will see that I made some changes to parts of Helm's Deep and I may make more before this challenge begins.  It's all about working out the kinks and building a feasible plan. 

The Battle of Helm's Deep

This is the first battle in which the members of the Fellowship had a chance to prepare for battle.  Armor was donned, blades sharpened, and the fortress bolstered, though there was little time.  The battle raged through the night against a relentless foe of unbeatable numbers.  The warriors were tired, their muscles ached under their armor, yet they fought on.  This Challenge is about building endurance while maintaining the strength needed to fight under the weight of armor. 

Q1: Workout

Strength:  2 Days a week 5x5.  Bench, Military, Deadlift, and Curls both days.   

Calisthenics:  2 Day a week, Biggest Loser Boot Camp DVD while wearing chainmail hauberk.  (substitute any workout that mixes strength and cardio, substitute weighted vest and/or ankle and wrist weights)

Core:  1 day a week:  1 min Leg Raises, 1 min 1 leg 1 arm row, 1 min Mountain Climbers.  Repeat 5 times, no Breaks.

Weapons:  5 Days a week, 10 minutes Pell training with heavy boffer weapons. 

Workout Doesn't Count If I Don't Stretch After!

Q2:  Diet

Consume no more than 3400 calories per day while consuming at least 215g protein. 

Q3:  Work

I am trying to work toward a promotion, and have set up a list of things to work on.  My goal is to stick to my checklist for the entirety of the challenge.  Score is based on percentage completed. 

SQ:  Chainmaile

Produce 10 pieces for sale at craft fairs. 

• Like 1

Sir Thalianost, Level 9 Human Knight (Training as a Warrior)

STR - 24.6 | DEX - 4.1 | STA - 1.7 | CON - 15.4 | WIS - 3.2 | CHA - 4.1

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Woo, welcome back- excited to see your progression through this challenge! Still a little blown at the amount of protein you can get down, I have a rough enough time hitting about 110!

Yeah I actually cut back a bit for this one too.  I just looked at your challenge.  I'm pretty sure I couldn't function on 1500 calories/day let alone get that much protein.  Do you use supplements or just do it the old fashioned way? 

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

I can usually get to about 85-95 g of protein within my cal limits just on chicken, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and jerky. I supplement the rest with 100 cal muscle milk (20g protein for 100 cals is pretty efficient!) and Quest bars. 

I tip the scales at a whopping 115ish so I really don't need much to keep me going even with my lifting and spinning addiction! 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Where did you get the chainmail from? I find it a really creative idea!

I made it myself.  I wouldn't recommend that to the average rebel though, it took years to finish.  If you are interested I know you can buy maile on etsy or at Museum Replicas Limited.  I haven't compared prices but it may be more economical to buy a weighted vest. 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Already had to edit my goals.  In trying my new lifting program I discovered that I won't have time to fit in 10 minutes of pell training on lift days so I am switching it to 10 min pell 2 days a week, 5 minutes shadow sparring 3 days a week. 

Can't wait for the challenge to start, there are many Easter goodies still lying around and it is harder to resist when I am not in challenge. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Tried my first workout in armor today. Not surprising that my shoulders and chest are killing me.  What was surprising was that I didn't struggle as much as I expected with the squats.  At the beginning of last challenge it was torture to do the squat portion of the workout but now with the armor it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.  Granted I was pacing my self and doing somewhat lighter versions of the exercises but still not as bad as I expected. 

Weather has been too crappy to get out and do any pell training hopefully there will be a few nice days next week. 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

You much does your armour weigh?  Last I weighed mine it was around 60 lbs.

My hauberk alone is about 65 lbs last I checked.  I haven't weighted my full kit in a while, so I can't really speak to that.  It is kinda surprising what you can do in armor when you think about it.  If I just threw an extra 65 lbs on a bar for an exercise there would be a significant change in my performance but wearing it there is only a marginal difference. 

What does your harness consist of? 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Great challenge! Subb'd :)

you're making me feel guilty about the patchy bits of chainmaille sitting, half finished, in the back of my closet... 

Can't wait to see the battle play out! 

tumblr_m1fyvnVTpc1qigjeso1_500.gif

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Greathelm, coat of plates, and plate arms & legs.  All mild steal made by my hand.  Plus the mandatory gorget and necessary cup.  I'm shooting for a kit around 1350.  I'm working on some splinted arms and legs made with Ti to lighten the load.

Sounds nice.  I have not been super strict about sticking to a time period but I suppose I am shooting for a crusaderish sort of thing.  Chainmaile hauberk and coif, barrel helm, and some cheep leather vambraces I threw together in an afternoon.  And of course the cup.  I have been trying to put together a brigadine for years now but I just can't keep at it. Too Many Projects!!!!

Great challenge! Subb'd :)

you're making me feel guilty about the patchy bits of chainmaille sitting, half finished, in the back of my closet... 

Can't wait to see the battle play out! 

tumblr_m1fyvnVTpc1qigjeso1_500.gif

Don't feel bad about the half finished bits of chainmaile.  It takes me years to finish anything larger than a necktie.  I get bored and put it away for a few months then pick it up again.  The real problem is I keep jumping between my afore mentioned "too many projects." 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

What other kinds of projects do you work on? 

It varies.  Other armor projects, gardening, homebrewing, the occasional sewing project, and of course the ever annoying home maintenance.  I also have some wood working and metal working projects I have wanted to do but never start for one reason or another. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Thalianost looked out over the wall, a black ocean of Uruks stood before the Deeping Wall.  "Nock!" the chief yeoman shouted and all the archers around him placed an arrow on their bows.  He copied the motions though a little slower.  He was never that good with a bow but his sword was of no use at this distance. "Draw!"  The archers raised their bows and pulled their bowstrings.  The enemy drums and chants were so loud he couldn't hear the creak of the bows as they bent and strained against their strings.  He knew he couldn't hit a target at this range, but he also knew it didn't matter.  The opposing army was so vast and packed so tightly together a blind man could kill with every shot.  His shoulder started to ache as he held the arrow back.  He had been in a few skirmishes but never a siege and never in armor.  As he looked out onto the black sea before him he was thankful for the fortresses armory and the maile it had provided him.  "LOOSE!"  Thus the battle began. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy First Day of Challenge, everyone.  I'm off to a good start so far, got my workout in, though I cut it a little short to spend a little more time with my daughter before work.  Diet is looking good so far as well, hopefully I can keep with it on the weekends this time. 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

:)

tumblr_nixxk9WAcG1u8z4ouo4_400.gif

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

It varies.  Other armor projects, gardening, homebrewing, the occasional sewing project, and of course the ever annoying home maintenance.  I also have some wood working and metal working projects I have wanted to do but never start for one reason or another. 

Homebrewing and home maintenance- you should update your thread when you do either of those I would love to read about them!! 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

Homebrewing and home maintenance- you should update your thread when you do either of those I would love to read about them!! 

I will if I do anything with them. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Had my first slipup yesterday, though it wasn't entirely my fault.  I was expecting one thing for dinner and got something else which, while still good, threw off my meal planning and I ended up going over on calories.  Today is looking better though, got my workout in and it looks like I will be able to easily come in under my calorie limit. 

Yesterday was my first day pell training with boffer weapons.  I used a 3 foot padded mace and a tree as a pell.  It was much more tiring than shadow sparring with my sword.  Recently every time I pick up my sword I am surprised at how light it feels. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Had my first slipup yesterday, though it wasn't entirely my fault.  I was expecting one thing for dinner and got something else which, while still good, threw off my meal planning and I ended up going over on calories.  Today is looking better though, got my workout in and it looks like I will be able to easily come in under my calorie limit. 

Yesterday was my first day pell training with boffer weapons.  I used a 3 foot padded mace and a tree as a pell.  It was much more tiring than shadow sparring with my sword.  Recently every time I pick up my sword I am surprised at how light it feels. 

Woooo those gains :D 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

Met my diet goals yesterday, so yay.  This morning I did my DVD workout with maile (still kicking my @$$ or rather my shoulders' @$$) and my pell training. 

I have definitely noticed an increase in my flexability since the beginning of last challenge, particularly in my hamstrings.  Looking forward to more improvement there.  I am also looking forward to the shape I will be in after 5 more weeks of workouts in maile.  The difference in the feel of the workout between the beginning to the end of last challenge was significant.  I can only imagine what the workout will feel like at the end of this one. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

If you have been watching my progress bars during this challenge you may have noticed that my Chainmaile bar hasn't moved.  Couple of reasons for that:  Even though I keep my stuff with me, I rarely have the time to work on it.  And when I do have free time I am either to tired to work on it or I forget about it completely.  To be fair though, even if I had been working on it diligently, I am not confident I would have anything done a week in anyway. 

This is a problem because I have a craft fair coming up and I need more stuff to sell at it.  My wife and her sister have also been trying to make stuff for the fair and their progress has been similarly slowed.  I will probably end up doing most of my work on the road to the fair but I hope it doesn't come to that. 

I had to skip my core workout this morning to help around the house hopefully I can make that up before Sunday. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Thalianost loosed arrow after arrow into the advancing army.  It was impossible to tell if any of the arrows connected or just dissolved into the darkness.  "STONES!" the chief yeoman shouted over the deafening drums and chants from below.  Thalianost dropped his bow and looked down the line as several other large, sturdy men did the same.  Most of the men on the wall were farmers, stable boys, hunters and a handful of professional soldiers better suited for bow work.  Thalianost and the other men who were now hoisting large stones were more suited for the back breaking task of casting chunks of rubble on the enemies below.  Stone workers, miners, blacksmiths like Thalianost, and one overgrown farmboy who had been kicked by one to many horses and was now crosseyed. 

As he dropped a large rock over the wall he looked down to see if it connected.  One unfortunate uruk-hai crumpled as the rock dented his helmet, his first confirmed kill.  He bent down for another rock and threw that down too, then another and another.  Soon five uruk-hai lay in a pile below his post.  He tried to lift an exceptionally large rock but couldn't get it over the wall.  He dropped it and hammered it with the butt of his axe until it cracked in two.  He tossed one half over the wall and as he stood with the other an arrow whistled by his ear.  He ducked behind the wall, heart racing.  He looked down the line and saw the farm boy sitting against the wall with an arrow in his shoulder.  Thalianost quickly hoisted his last rock over and crawled down the wall to him.  "Still alive?"  He asked the boy.  The boys eyes were vacant but he slowly nodded.  He examined the boy's wound.  As he broke off the shaft of the arrow, the boy whinced.  "Look at me boy," he said grabbing the boys chin and turning it to him.  "You still have one good arm, enough to swing an axe.  Your battle is not yet over."  The boy nodded.  "Now help me with this rock."  Thalianost and the boy lifted a huge chunk of rubble onto the wall and pushed it over.  There was a scattering of orcs as it fell but one unlucky orc hadn't been paying attention and was completely crushed.  Thalianost's  eighth kill. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, weekend didn't go as well as hoped but not terrible.  I did not make up my core workout, mainly because I was out almost all day Saturday.  I did meet my food goals though, but mainly because I refuse to live in a world where leftover cake batter has calories.  :playful:   Denial FTW! 

I did not meet my protein goal on Sunday because I went to a family gathering which featured a meal consisting entirely of various salads.  That and the various desserts that followed.  At least I stayed under on calories. 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out