Nymeria's 14th: All is one and one is all

Nymeria

Hi, I'm Nymeria, and I generally suffer from do-too-much-itis.  I've been rock climbing for a few years, I do a lot of yoga hand balancing and animal flow stuff, I still fool around a lot with martial arts and martial arts weapons (I'm kind of an ex practitioner.  It's complicated), and I recently started taking parkour classes twice/week.  

This has also led to a struggle not to keep my body healthy, functioning, and keep my life in balance.  For this challenge, I'm going to turn to one of my favorite anime characters and a fellow hot-headed, nerdy, often physically busted, do-too-much-er, Edward Elric, for some inspiration.  

This time, my physical schedule is pretty set, with climbing/bouldering twice/week, parkour classes twice/week, and hot vinyasa yoga once/week.  (Realistically, I'll make it to 4/5 of these on average, just because between kids, life obligations, and such, that's how it seems to work).  I also expect to do some playground workouts, hiking trips, and other things like that.  

For this challenge, all of the physical goals will be accessories to help me get stronger and prevent me from falling apart.

Goal 1. Proper maintenance (fitness)

0508HJ-FBFullmetal-Alchemist-The-Movie-W

My shoulders are constantly tight from the climbing and yoga.  My surgically repaired knee is also starting to become irritated by the jumpings and landings in parkour (ACL reconstruction in Jan 2014 - I didn't rehab things with the expectation of this much high impact work).  If I don't want my leg and arms to get busted, the way Ed's auto mail often is, I need to focus on some prehab and ROM work.  So...

a.) Get cozy with the foam roller and stretches:  5x/week - roll out ITB, calves, and quads.  Roll out shoulder blade area.  Do shoulder dislocates.  Do the following yoga stretches: Extended puppy (shoulders), cross legged forward fold (ITB), hands clasping behind the back pose, reclined cow face pose (ITB-gluteus).

b.) Build better foundations for jumping: whenever my muscles permit, do weighted squats, deep squats, more jumps, and calf raises.  Revisit some of the physical therapy knee exercises that I haven't touched in the last 6 months.

Goal 2 - Decrease the numbers (diet)

Edward Elric: "Water, 35 litres. Carbon, 20kg. Ammonia, 4 litres. Lime, 1.5kg. Phosperus, 800g. Salt, 250 g. Niter, 100g. Sulphur, 80g. Fluorine, 7.5g. Iron, 5g. Silicon 3g. And fifteen other elements. Those are the elements to make an average adult human body."

This goal is simple..  I want to decrease my numbers, meaning lose a little weight.  Realistically, I only could lose 5-ish lbs, but those 5 lbs can mean a lot when you're hanging on to rock holds by your fingertips or trying to jump even higher.  I loathe actively cutting and tracking my diet, so I'm going to keep things small and simple.  

Goal is Only 3 drinks bearing any liquid calories at all per week.  Otherwise, all other drinking is to just be water.  I train a lot and I have a lot of muscle, so I really do need to eat.  The juice/alcohol/soda stuff is purely empty calories and is the easiest to trim from the diet.

Goal 3 - Become less lopsided (fitness)

fullmetal-alchemist-ed-and-al-relax.jpg

Like Edward, I feel pretty lopsided.  In part it's due to the messed up knee.  Some of it is simple right-handedness.  Some of it is muscle imbalances.  Still, the result is that in parkour, I have preferred sides for every vault or wall technique.  In yoga, I have a lot of hand balances that I can only perform well on one side (like 8 angle, flying lizard, side crow extensions).  I also have a lot of standing balances that have a strong side and a weak side.  Yes, I know that's normal.  Still, in parkour, the side I use is somewhat dictated by the nature of the obstacle, and I really need to be proficient at both sides.  For the yoga stuff, I just enjoy the warm fuzzy glow of doing things well, so I tend to do my strong side first and more often than my weak one.  For this challenge, I am changing my mindset and making sure I give my weak side more attention than my strong one.  

Goal is to have 90% of my exercise sessions address my weak side at least equally as much as my strong side.

Goal 4 - Hit the books (life)

anime-blonde-books-edward-edward-elric-f

I used to read all of the time.  But then I became addicted to my phone and waste my time rather than doing productive things like reading or learning.  It's time for this to change.

a.)  Read at least 15 minutes/day.  Aim for also reading at night before going to bed.

b.) Continue with my DuoLingo German studies.  I'm currently at 2300 XP, so the goal is to reach 3800 by the end of the challenge.  

5. Daily Reflection (life)

7c28f086ee468ca9b394783d4c9e0188.jpg

Last challenge, I had a goal of coming up with something positive or something for which I am grateful every day.  While that was rewarding, I'm broadening things, such that this challenge, I just need to spend a few minutes meditating and reflecting on the day.  I may or may not post the reflections depending on how relevant I think they are.  

I will edit later with more specific grading criteria.  Let's do this!

• Like 6

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Mmm, that new challenge smell. Lookin' good. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

This looks great.  I've been meaning to go through my physio manual as well to see if there are some agility drills I could be doing with little risk to lefty and to remind myself about the progressions.

Aside: yoga poses have the weirdest names.  Cow face?  It looks nothing like a cow's face.  

OMG FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST FUCK YEAH

...excuse me. ^^

I get where you're coming from with the do-too-much-itis. There's just so many fun things to do and it sucks that there are only seven days in a week to do them. But yeah, I guess that's a personal battle. :D

Climbing and parkour together seem like an excellent idea; I'd imagine that they'd both complement each other, right? I'd like to get into parkour, but again, that's another case of do-too-much-itis!

In any case, best of luck with your challenge! I'll be dropping by every now and then for inspiration. ^^

Assassin - Level 3 

STR: 6 | STA: 3 | DEX: 1 | CON: 6 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 1

Challenge 1 - RESTART -  Challenge 2

Aside: yoga poses have the weirdest names.  Cow face?  It looks nothing like a cow's face.  

If you squint, a lot, from a very specific angle, it kinda maybe looks a bit cowish? I found one picture that made me think, ever so briefly, of a cow wearing goggles...  *shrug*

That said, being the master of cows, I shall defer to your expertise. It looks nothing like a cow's face.

Dare mighty thingsCurrent Challenge

Mmm, that new challenge smell. Lookin' good. :)

Thanks!  I have a good feeling about this one.  I'd normally ask where your challenge is, but I'm guessing the plan is to get through Nationals before starting the next challenge.    

...excuse me. ^^

I get where you're coming from with the do-too-much-itis. There's just so many fun things to do and it sucks that there are only seven days in a week to do them. But yeah, I guess that's a personal battle. :D

Climbing and parkour together seem like an excellent idea; I'd imagine that they'd both complement each other, right? I'd like to get into parkour, but again, that's another case of do-too-much-itis!

In any case, best of luck with your challenge! I'll be dropping by every now and then for inspiration. ^^

I love FMA so much, too!

I feel like if I do more than two things, I can't really focus enough on any of them to make any real progress.  It's pretty galling, though, since I'd love to play around with aerial, gymnastics, (return to) martial arts training, lift more, and do so many more things.  Oh well.  It's much better to want to do everything than it is to struggling to find anything at all that you love doing.  

Yep.  Climbing and parkour play really well together.  For the most part, climbing is going to fry out your hands, forearms, and shoulders.  And for the most part, parkour is a lot of jumping and lower body work.  

This looks great.  I've been meaning to go through my physio manual as well to see if there are some agility drills I could be doing with little risk to lefty and to remind myself about the progressions.

I feel a little guilty with the PT.  I was so good up to about 7 months post op.  But when I started climbing again, I really eased off of the PT and just returned to my regular sports.  At the time, all of my activities were pretty static, so I didn't feel that I really needed to hit the jumping hard.  Now that I'm doing parkour, I kind of need to revisit all of the late stage PT stuff.

If you squint, a lot, from a very specific angle, it kinda maybe looks a bit cowish? I found one picture that made me think, ever so briefly, of a cow wearing goggles...  *shrug*

That said, being the master of cows, I shall defer to your expertise. It looks nothing like a cow's face.

The yoga names are a complete mystery to me, too.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

...excuse me. ^^

Gotta say, Mandrill put it just about right.   Yuuuuuusss!

FMA Theme?   Makes me feel like this!

fma_dance.gif

Love the goals and the theme.  (I was seriously just closing a window on a Riza Hawkeye costume for Acen next month.)   You also sound a lot like me with all the things you love and want to do!  The difference being in that you're out there doing them and I am still learning how to juggle the things. :D    Definitely need to follow you around more.   Especially since I've got a feeling there is a lot I could learn from you!

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

as a fellow do-to-much-itis-suffererrrer this is a great challenge!

I especially want to know more about the reading? do you have a stack of books you're planning on hitting? and if so what are they?

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Love the goals and the theme.  (I was seriously just closing a window on a Riza Hawkeye costume for Acen next month.)   You also sound a lot like me with all the things you love and want to do!  The difference being in that you're out there doing them and I am still learning how to juggle the things. :D    Definitely need to follow you around more.   Especially since I've got a feeling there is a lot I could learn from you!

I really want to get my whole family to do a FMA cosplay thing.  My son (5) has long blond hair and looks exactly like a chibi Edward Elric.  My husband so is Roy Mustang on a lot of levels.  I could easily pull off Izumi.  I just don't have a good role for my daughter.  :(

Honestly, I don't think you really can juggle all of the things and get anywhere.  I pretty much have to pick 2 things (climbing and parkour at the moment), plan my schedule around those, and then only let myself play with other stuff when it won't otherwise harm the parkour and climbing.  I guess a lot more of it is a mindset shift for the playtime or the extra stuff.  I had to train myself to go into all of my extras without pushing my body too hard or stressing myself out too much about making progress.  I really have to view it all as fun, relaxing, fitness playtime.

Sweet challenge goals! Subbed for the PT and weakness-hitting. And the Fullmetal-ness.

Yay.  Welcome aboard!

as a fellow do-to-much-itis-suffererrrer this is a great challenge!

I especially want to know more about the reading? do you have a stack of books you're planning on hitting? and if so what are they?

Not really, and I'm at a point where even re-reading favorite books would be a big improvement over just wasting time on my phone.  I just bought Trigger Warning (Neil Gaiman short stories), and I'm sure I'll work my way through those over the first week or so.  I'll probably also re-read A Dance with Dragons, since the next season of GoT comes out very soon.

My tutorials:

Week 0 updates:

Monday - I spent a lot of time doing some VMO strengthening stuff and rolling out my ITB (so painful!).  I'm still trying to dial in my little stretching and prehab program, so I'll ideally just have a 10 minute sequence I can do each day.

I also did a 30 minute home yoga flow.  This one had peacock pose/elbow lever, and I'm thrilled that I can still hold them 10+ seconds.  I also (in the yoga program) had a chance to work on my handstands and my wheel pose, so I'm still keeping some of the same focus I had last challenge.  My kneecap is still popping a little, but it seems to be improving.  The knee certainly functioned just fine for yoga, and it didn't really have any effect on anything.

Tuesday - I did my hot vinyasa class.  Today, they tortured our cores with a ton of planks, side planks, even more side planks, and boat pose.  I'm still a little concerned that my knee is tweaky, but again, everything is functioning just fine.  I made sure to do the VMO strengthening stuff and rolling out the ITB after class.

It should be a parkour day, but I'm not sure whether that is going to happen.  It's also the first day back to school after spring break, so I'm expecting that my daughter will be too tired and grumpy for evening classes.  If we miss today, we will ideally just go tomorrow for parkour.

So far, I haven't done any of the jumping strength work, and I don't plan to do so until my knee is no longer being a bit of a problem. I also haven't started restricting the caloric drinks.  Despite the lack of restrictions, I weighed in at 149.4 lbs at the gym, which is a 3 lb loss over the last time I weighed (a month ago?)

I have been working on my German, and I have been reading.  I'm really glad I have this week to start establishing some habits, so I'm more ready to go at the beginning of the next week.

• Like 2

My tutorials:

It should be a parkour day, but I'm not sure whether that is going to happen.  It's also the first day back to school after spring break, so I'm expecting that my daughter will be too tired and grumpy for evening classes.  If we miss today, we will ideally just go tomorrow for parkour.

You take your daughter to parkour classes?

...and the world's most badass parent award goes to Nymeria! ^^

On building habits, I recently found this app/rpg game thing called HabitRPG that makes habit building seem like a role-playing game. This app has single-handedly cured my chronic organization problems. Do you think that'd be something you'd find appealing? 

Assassin - Level 3 

I really want to get my whole family to do a FMA cosplay thing.  My son (5) has long blond hair and looks exactly like a chibi Edward Elric.  My husband so is Roy Mustang on a lot of levels.  I could easily pull off Izumi.  I just don't have a good role for my daughter.   :(

OMG.  You must make this happen!  Somehow!  Someway!    Lan Fan for daughter!   That's a totally badass female role! :D  Oooh now I need to see about dressing up as HER for Acen.   You give me such good ideas!

You may be on to something too with the poor juggling act.   Perhaps finding what I really really want to focus on is the next best step!

Good week 0 going so far.   I also might need to check out this Habit app!

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

You take your daughter to parkour classes?

...and the world's most badass parent award goes to Nymeria! ^^

Generally, the kids both take kiddie parkour classes while my husband and I watch, and then we have our adult class immediately after the kid one while the kids sit on the side, eat snacks, and play on the iPad.  We also take the kids to the climbing gym with us.  And at the playground, I will totally play zombie tag with a mob of little kids.

I hate it when people decide that becoming a parent also means that you have to become boring and stuffy.  

• Like 3

My tutorials:

Generally, the kids both take kiddie parkour classes while my husband and I watch, and then we have our adult class immediately after the kid one while the kids sit on the side, eat snacks, and play on the iPad.  We also take the kids to the climbing gym with us.  And at the playground, I will totally play zombie tag with a mob of little kids.

I hate it when people decide that becoming a parent also means that you have to become boring and stuffy.  

It's awesome that you're introducing activities like parkour and climbing to your children. The physical fitness is one thing, but the courage, mental fortitude and discipline that climbing (and I assume parkour, but I've never tried it so I wouldn't know) tends to develop? Those are great things to grow up getting used to. ^^

Assassin - Level 3 

Week 0 - Wednesday - 

Despite the weird knee issue, I did my parkour class....  And it was fine.  As soon as my leg muscles were warmed up, I could do all of the jumping, landing, vaulting, and such with no issues at all.  So, I really think some of the popping is just from massive ITB, calf, and hamstring tightness.  It was vaulting week in class, and we worked on taking our safety vaults and easy vaults onto some wide vault boxes, rather than the typical narrow vaulting ramps.  And we did a bunch of sequences where 5 boxes or ramps of different dimensions were scattered around, and we had to flow between all of them with vaulting techniques.  Classes are still so much fun, and I wish I could go more often, but it's probably just as good for my knee to get a lot of rest time.

I'm still being pretty diligent on rolling out all of the leg muscles.  For the short term, the jumping foundation exercises are just going to be a lot of PT type drills for strengthening my VMO, hamstrings, and calf muscles.  So, today I'm going to do a lot of isometric VMO contractions, wall sits while squeezing a ball between my thighs, plie squats, step ups, step downs, hammie curls, and calf raises.  I'm also going to really work on the foam rolling, stretching, and self massage.  

I'm still hitting the DuoLingo pretty hard.  Reading fell by the wayside yesterday, since I instead just played some video games.  I really needed the unwind time.  

I haven't also addressed the lopsidedness very well.  On one hand, the parkour teacher has us do our vaults/QM moves/whatever on both sides, so I did work on both sides a lot.  When I was doing the freeform flows, I did choose to baby my right knee a little bit, so things were a bit lopsided.  

I'm still not really restricting caloric drinks until I finish drinking the Ginger brews in the fridge.  ;)

• Like 3

My tutorials:

Week 0 - Thursday - I mostly just looked into some PT type exercises as well as stretching.  So, I did a set of step downs, plie squats, wall sits, deep squats, and some inner quad isometric stuff.  I also rolled out my calf muscles, my ITB, my shoulders, and did some extra stretching.

Week 0 - Friday - My right calf is still really tight.  In a fit of being a hypochondriac, I measured my calves to make sure my right one wasn't swollen or anything, but I actually found that my right calf is a full 2 cm smaller in circumference than my left one.  So, I guess I really haven't rebuilt the calf muscle mass I lost after the ACL surgery, and all of the jumping in parkour is making my right calf disproportionately sore.  At least, I'm trying to convince myself that such is the reason my right leg and calf have been so strained for the last week.  My anxiety is getting the better of me and making me think that I have a DVT (blood clot) or something.  :(

Tonight will be climbing, but I'll probably baby my leg a bit and stick with just top roping some easier routes.  At least that way, I can restrict my right leg from doing any high steps, heel hooks, drop knees, or anything else funky.  

• Like 3

My tutorials:

YAY! FMA Challenge! It was my first Anime love and continues to be one of my all time favorites. Looking Great so Far :)

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

Late entry, but I'm here to follow :) I think an entire challenge of focusing on your weak side for your training will make a massive difference to your coordination and body awareness. I've started to do this with handstands kick-ups and with cartwheels, and hope to get this benefit too.

Also, taking your kids to parkour classes etc. is going to be great for their coordination and body awareness too, so even if in 10 years they aren't interested in this and prefer playing ice hockey or something it's doing to benefit them - I'm glad you're doing this.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Clearly Nymeria= Coolest Parent Ever :D Wish my parents had wanted to take classes like that when I was a kid instead of just sitting inside and watching movies :/ Guess I'll just have to make up for it now! :)

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

Just be careful with your legs, better safe than sorry ;). Is it possible for you to visit your PT again? 2cm sounds like a lot! I hope all the exercises work, I admire it that you're doing so many of them at the moment :).

I'm not too worried about the size difference.  I honestly didn't do much to re-build my calf muscle after the surgery, so it's not surprising that it's weak relative to the other side.  I just have to start doing a lot more calf raises.  Now, if my knee continues feeling a bit off, I'll certainly visit my doctor or PT.  Today it's feeling better, so I'm really optimistic that I was correct in self diagnosing everything as a really tight calf and really tight ITB.

So, more updates - Saturday, the kids attended parkour class, but the schedule didn't work out for the adults to attend.  It's okay, since my knee probably needed more rest.

Sunday - climbing!  I didn't do a ton of routes, but everything seemed fine.  My calf is still sore, but it doesn't seem to be affecting my climbing at all.  My knee still feels a little odd and it's still a little noisier than I'd like, but again, it didn't affect my climbing at all.  Maybe I'm deluding myself a bit, but I feel like if something were seriously wrong, my knee would be getting worse or I'd be having more trouble with the parkour and climbing, rather than it feeling better and less problematic.  At this point, I'm going to stick with some of the strengthening stuff and stretching, continue doing my yoga, parkour, and climbing, and see what happens.  

I'm adding one more little bonus thing to the challenge.  A lot of people have drawing goals, and I'm going to join the fray.  I've been having a lot of anxiety lately because I've been in a position where my son won't let me have time to myself, he's constantly interrupting me, getting into my face, and otherwise making it impossible for me to get anything done.  My whole life seems to be fragmented into these little 5 minutes here-and-there intervals, and I've just ended up playing on my phone a lot to fill these little bits of time.  But, this tends to make me anxious and unproductive.  Instead, I'm going to carry around a sketchbook and try to draw when I have a chance, rather than play on my phone.  I need some stock art to use for app development, anyway.  And, I used to be pretty good at drawing and painting before I had kids and couldn't find the time.  It's not going to be an official goal.  Just a bonus of trying to draw more and play on my phone less.  

• Like 4

My tutorials: