bgvanbur and the spring challenge.

bgvanbur

Main Quest

Prepare for a 99 miler on August 8-9.

News Year's Resolutions
Keep Calm & Play

Challenge Introduction

So there is only 2.15 challenges until my 99 miler (granted there are 2 two week breaks in that time too).  So I want to focus on long runs.  Also after this challenge is a 5k I am running, so I want to do some 5k specific work too to see if I can get a PR again.  I plan to keep doing barbells workouts (but aiming for 2 times a week instead of 3).  And I want to add in daily bodyweight exercise.

Last challenge I did great going 95% primal and want to continue that.  Near the end of the challenge I added several days of skipping breakfast (aka intermittent fasting) and this works fairly well for me.  Growing up I used to skip lunch nearly every day and through intermittent fasting it makes more sense to skip breakfast to have a longer fast window and to optimize fat burning (which I want for the 99 miler).  I thought about having a goal for this but I kind of like just doing it based on feel instead and see the being primal as the real goal.

Goals

(1) 95% primal +4 CON

(2a) At least 40 workouts +2 DEX

(2b) At least 6 workouts over 2 hours +2 STA

(2c) At least 2 practice 5k < 25:00 +2 STR

(3) Bodyweight 36 times (20 push ups, 10 pull ups, 10 pistol squats each leg, 60 second handstand) +2 STR

(4) Spend time purposely outside 36 times +1 WIS +1 CHA

Stats
LVL: 21, FAILS: 2, STR: 32, DEX: 30.5, STA: 46.25, CON: 21, WIS: 18.25, CHA: 13.75

• Like 3

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Today is a rest day after a busy week last week.

Week 0 Habit Building Goals

(1) 93% primal

(2a) At least 5 workouts

(2b) At least 1 workout over 2 hours

(2c) At least 1 practice 5k < 30:00

(3) Bodyweight 5 times (20 push ups, 10 pull ups, 10 pistol squats each leg, 60 second handstand)

(4) Spend time purposely outside 5 times

Feel free to do a week zero too (I think I stole it from Shukar many challenge ago anyways).  I know previously that diet goals especially turn into a eat crap on the off weeks, so I mainly wanted to make sure I stuck to the primal lifestyle goal.

• Like 1

I love Week zero. Yeah, I think Shu was my inspiration as well.

Goals look really solid, B. Good luck this week!

Thanks.

I may have to add a Week Zero myself. I can't believe we have an ultra runner in our midst. That's amazing! On average, how many miles per week do you train, and how long are your long runs? 

Thanks.  So far I have done 3 50ks (two races and one in training), and for those I was getting up to 9 hours a week of running (running almost every day at least 3 miles, at least one day with 2 runs aka double, and a long run day on the weekends).  For the challenge, anything over 2 hours counts as a long run in my book.  But have no problem going up to 5 hours or so in training (mainly need to block off the time).

99 mile run?

I'm definitely gonna keep up with your thread on that one.

Thanks!  Your lifts are super strong, 250 bench?  And your squat way heavier than your deadlift?  My numbers are around 135 bench, 225 squat, 265 deadlift.

Did my bodyweight yesterday, and they were a little rough.  Had to break the 10 pull ups into 4 sets, the 10 pistols each leg into 3 sets and the 60 sec handstand into 3 sets.  I broke up the 20 push ups into 2 sets but that was so I could do a pistol set at the same time.

Got outside yesterday doing yard work and such.  Had a 120 calories of half a mounds bar and I don't think I like them much anymore.  The fresh pineapple was way better.

Was lazy this morning and slept in, but have a group run tonight so not worried about not doing a workout.

• Like 1

Stressful time (missed work, hours spent fixing the house drains instead of getting workouts done, etc).  A little behind in my week zero plans but things seem to be calming down so hopefully can get back on track :)

• Like 1

I hope the drains are a solid fix. House stuff can really come up any ole time. 

Ahh, pineapple! nom nom

I tried Smarties today and they so suck compared to what I remember! Definitely put those on the never again list.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

The drains in the house are spotless now, but the drain going out of the house is slow and can't do much more with the snake I have.  Don't really have the money to call a plumber, and not sure if I can borrow or rent an auger to work on it.

Week zero started good and went sour by the end of the week.  3 days about half non-primal foods and boy did I get a swift reminder why I shouldn't eat some of that crap.  Sometimes I think what is the point of eating primal is since my body did ok on crap foods and this is a good reminder it doesn't do all that good on that crap.  At least I got lots of sleep, which makes me think I should be aiming for more sleep (especially when stressed).  I did do some of the bodyweight over the weekend but figured just start fresh on Monday.

Back on the primal wagon, did a 25 minute morning workout of jump roping and sprinting which was great (well the jump roping was rusty and required lots of breaks).

• Like 1

Way to get back on the wagon, B.

Jumping Jacks are brutal when you first start or start back up, huh? Owie!

Good Luck

Well I did jumping rope, but both can be brutal when getting back into them.  I was actually thinking I should do some jumping jacks between jump rope sets but decided to just shoot for more jump rope reps.

Did a lunch time run to the park with the baby and had packed lunches.  So nice out :)

And I made a nice spreadsheet to track my challenge :)

[edited to sharable view only link instead published spreadsheet]

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lk27w1zuDuaKfYxUqmhZzEpDk_Ga5mRhzWZ19aufiTw/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 3

Sweet. Pistols seem like impossible! haha

I reckon I should do more balance work and practice them at any rate.

Great that you got to get out with the baby! yay

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

I love pistols because of the combination of balance and strength (and maybe some other stuff too).  Was great to get out there with the baby, went a little over my lunch break but made it up at the end of the day so no problem.

I was concerned about going primal after the non-primalness that happened last week but seemed pretty easy yesterday.  Got in a 25 minute run with the dog this morning.

• Like 1

Love the spreadsheet.  I just started using jumping rope as a warm up.  That is too funny.  Diet is my nemesis.  At least I am not grazing or tasting too much or over eating at meals but now, ugh.  I feel it too when I go too far from what works on keeping me feeling good.

I saw on the news this morning that an athlete, I think it was a football player, managed a 5'1" "box jump".  

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Love the spreadsheet.  I just started using jumping rope as a warm up.  That is too funny.  Diet is my nemesis.  At least I am not grazing or tasting too much or over eating at meals but now, ugh.  I feel it too when I go too far from what works on keeping me feeling good.

I saw on the news this morning that an athlete, I think it was a football player, managed a 5'1" "box jump".  

Yup, still have some lingering effects of the Thurs-Sat food choices.  Crazy box jumpers, my brother heard about my jumps and he is about 9" inches shorter and decided to go higher to close the gap between our jumps :)

Yesterday was good, a nice morning run, a lunch break outside (some light yard work and eating outside) and some phone time outside after the kids went to bed (while the dog ran around the fenced in yard like a maniac once it got dark).  Food choices were great, was tempted by some salsa (which would have only been 20-40 calories deviant) but opted for fresh tomatoes.  We had fajita steak salad for diiner, was great.  Got done with my bodyweight soon after lunch, thought about doing extra but want to wait a few days to make sure my body gets used to the daily volume first.

• Like 1

Since I had a 9 day no barbell streak, figured it was a great time to test 1RM (one rep maxes).  I set a PR on squat working up to 247 pounds.  Failed at 252 which is the max I can do in my home gym.  Did six single reps of 252 deadlifts.  Worked up to 137 bench and failed at 147.  Worked up to 97 overhead press and failed at 102, then switched to doing 102 push presses with extra slow eccentric part of the movement.  This morning, not enough to be a workout but did some barefoot sprints in the driveway and portion of road, definitely a sensory overload but the feet were fine.

Primalness is doing great (had a mini kit kat), and a turkey is now in the oven so extra fun.  Planning a double run day today with a lunch run with the littlest and a group run in the evening.  Then a barbell workout on Friday and a long run on the weekend.

• Like 1

Oooooh, 99 miles!  I'm in awe - I have ultra aspirations ... at some point.  Which race are you gearing up for?

I am training for the Mighty Mosquito 99 mile relay (but I am one of four crazy people signed up to do it solo so far).  It is only a few miles from my house so I know the park, I am good friends with the race directors and many of the racers, so know I will be in good company and familiar grounds.  I remember a year ago I said I would never do a 100 and probably never a 50, but I finished my 50k last November and knew I could go further and when this race was fully disclosed a few weeks later I knew I was going to do it solo (or do my best trying).  My trail group run last night even ran on those trails last night.

http://www.trailsroc.org/relay/

As mentioned, I got in my trail group run last night and was great to run on nearly dry trails again (2 weeks ago I slipped on ice on one of those trails).  I have been rocking the bodyweight stuff so far.  Not sure when I will get my long run in this weekend since my wife wants to go out both Friday and Saturday nights which means she will sleep in the next mornings, so maybe another Sunday night long run.

Diet has been great, had a free saranac pale ale last night.

• Like 2

Definitely!

Epic day so far today, did a mile run with the wee one, spent 3.5 hours at a playground and trails with the kids (they spent most of the time off the trail exploring, very proud).  Spent some more time outside playing ball with them and now it is time to take a break.

As long as I stick to primal and get my long run tomorrow, the week is already set for perfect As!

• Like 3

Wow that is fantastic!!!  Great time with the kids for sure and a very epic day.  Great job on the food too and hope your long run was enjoyable.

• Like 2

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

My long run was quite unique, it was cold but felt fine running.  I decided to stop to enjoy the sunrise (while doing my bodyweight work and getting a few pictures).  I got to some deep thinking and was happy and sad and cold all at the same time.  Called my run done and did some walking but then called it quits early (still a long run, just not as long as I originally devised since I wanted to try fueling with peanut butter midrun).  I got home and my littlest came running out to hug me and when my wife got up she hugged me, definitely helped wash away some of the residual sadness.

Well a night time binge derailed my primal goal for the week :(  Part emotional, part bad foods on counter in sight instead of put away in pantry.  On the outside and being active goals I did great!

Week 1 Results

GHiK67J.png

Reminder tracking spreadsheet is in my signature.

Week 2 Plan

Don't let the one night turn into a derailment.  I have been against looking into Paleo versions of deserts since why not have the real thing.  After last night's binge, I was thinking those Paleo versions would probably be better than all that processed stuff.  So I should look into 1 or 2 recipes that might fill that craving.

The forecast looks like a chance of rain all week, so need to be careful to get out there and get the runs in still.

• Like 3