bgvanbur and the spring challenge.

bgvanbur

Congrats on the dips!  That is fantastic.  Hopefully the rest of the house does not end up sick.  We had it go around and the past two days has been our daughters turn.

What an amazing Averngers workout.  Wow.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Hey, sorry I haven't been online much at all this month. Just catching up with your thread now. I'm glad I did though -- your thread is always great to read. Great job so far!

Earlier you were talking about being skeptical of whether or not you need to stay paleo, trying out those old foods again and deciding that yeah, you're better off avoiding those. I have been through that this challenge as well. Sometimes I want to rebel against all these rules I've been building up for myself. Sometimes they seem stupid. But then I break them and I get taught anew why I made them in the first place. Long-term adherence to anything seems hard, especially if it's your own choosing. I think we naturally "forgive and forget" the foods that hurt us as we move away from them, just the same as with other sorts of injuries. I wonder if we do ever reach the point where we stop second-guessing these things?

Wait, salsa isn't primal? Was it in a restaurant or some situation where you couldn't check the ingredients for added sugar/corn syrup? There's several brands of fresh salsa in our grocery store that are just veggies and herbs and such. Very tasty.

What kind of dog do you have?

Oh, and it's "gung ho."  :)

• Like 1

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

The salsa my wife bought had added sugar.

Well it has been an interesting week.  On Saturday my mom came over with cookies which I ate a bunch of.  Then Sunday visited the mother-in-law and had a bunch of crap (granted she did make gluten free stuff that happened to be paleo, I still was too interested in the other crap).  Then Monday I raided all the cupboards of anything that wasn't paleo (it felt like being a rebel or something like that).  Tuesday more of the same and a little less on Wednesday.  I put a third of my calories for each day as being non-primal, was definitely way more than that but keeps from ruining the average so quickly.

I was listening to a podcast the other day that mentioned abstainers versus moderators.  Some people are great at abstaining but suck at moderating (easier to avoid ice cream than to eat just a little ice cream every once in a while).  Where as other people are great at moderating but suck at moderating (they can have some small chocolate but if they can't have that little bit it becomes all they think about).  I am definitely an abstainer in most of my food vices and my wife is a moderator.  It works best if those foods are not in the house and I am great, but my wife has to have a collection of various foods in case she wants a small piece and it only bothers her if she doesn't have it in the house just in case.  So thinking back, I definitely should abstain from cookies and ice cream, but wine and beer I do great with moderating.  I am unsure about chocolate.

On Saturday my wife said I had run near the house since she wasn't feeling well, so I ran 120 laps of 0.11 miles each around the yard barefoot!  That is over a half marathon in 2:10.  And considering my farthest barefoot run was less than a mile, a huge jump there too.  Granted running in grass is great barefoot!

Been a lazy week so far, did one jogging stroller run and 1 barbell workout.  At least I have been doing my bodyweight exercises each day!

• Like 3

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

I haven't been able to define myself as all one or the other. Like you, I can do certain thing in moderation and others I can't control the monster in my brain. Sugar is now being tested on a once per week regimen. If I abstain from junk food for the week, I get to have something sweet and tasty on Sunday. If I eat something before that, I am going to make myself wait another week so I miss the Sunday delight.

I hope you find your extra get-back-into-it batteries soon!

• Like 2

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

What podcast did you enjoy?  I think I heard that one but can not remember its name.  LOL  It was a couple gals I believe.  Okay it is going to drive me nuts trying to think of it.

I think I am better abstaining but it has to be out of house and out of mind or there has to be something preventing giving in.  Then again I can go to the point of trying to find an equally not great alternative...seeking it out.  However out of sight out of minds helps me a lot.  But if I know it is there I can hyper focus on it depending on the mood.  I think for most things I can not moderate.  Or I should say if given the opportunity I do not want to moderate with the thought....just do it now and abstain later because I do not want to moderate.

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

I haven't been able to define myself as all one or the other. Like you, I can do certain thing in moderation and others I can't control the monster in my brain. Sugar is now being tested on a once per week regimen. If I abstain from junk food for the week, I get to have something sweet and tasty on Sunday. If I eat something before that, I am going to make myself wait another week so I miss the Sunday delight.

I hope you find your extra get-back-into-it batteries soon!

Sounds like an interesting plan, but not sure if it would work for me.  I would either keep looking forward to it too much, or blow it and just eat more crap since the week is already shot.

What podcast did you enjoy?  I think I heard that one but can not remember its name.  LOL  It was a couple gals I believe.  Okay it is going to drive me nuts trying to think of it.

I think I am better abstaining but it has to be out of house and out of mind or there has to be something preventing giving in.  Then again I can go to the point of trying to find an equally not great alternative...seeking it out.  However out of sight out of minds helps me a lot.  But if I know it is there I can hyper focus on it depending on the mood.  I think for most things I can not moderate.  Or I should say if given the opportunity I do not want to moderate with the thought....just do it now and abstain later because I do not want to moderate.

I think the podcast that had a 5 minute thing about abstain/moderate was latest in paleo, otherwise it might have been paleo view with the couple gals.

Did my trail group run yesterday and boy oh boy did my quads get sore!  Weird, but they felt great again this morning so I did an easy run.  I really need to get into running more often, so I set my alarm for the first time in about 5 weeks.  I think I want to start running every day and only then can I do a bike ride or barbell workout after the run is already completed.  11 weeks to 99 miles and I really need to ramp up the daily volume (at least the long runs seem to be where they need to be).

• Like 2

Well the little one wanted to go to the park for our run, so I hit some hilly trails with the jogging stroller.  It took about 45 minutes to do about 5k, pretty impressed that I was able to keep running the whole time including the massive hill at the end.  Saw some deer, lots of turns and things to see and he loved the bumpy parts :)  We took a break at the playground for about a half hour then ran on the road for about 10 minutes to get back to where we parked.

Then I did about 3.5 hours of yard work, counting that as a workout since about 2 hours of that was pushing a lawn mower.

The kids and I played outside for a while, then dinner, then some shopping for a birthday party tomorrow and a short 30 minutes at the playground before bed.

A nice good day, definitely some time on feet training.  And hopefully a long run tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Woke up early and got in a nice 3 hour exploration trail run.  And I only did about half the park, definitely more left to explore another day.  I have there with a group several times but it isn't until I run it by myself that I get a real sense of direction in a park.

I am doing great with the challenge goals.  Only need 4 more workouts to get to my 40 goal.  Similarly I only need 4 more days of bodyweight skills to finish that goal.  I need get outside everyday to accomplish my outside goal.  I would need 2 long workouts to accomplish my long workout goal, but I will be happy with just one but thinking about how I can do two.  And the primal goal, I can finish with 90% and get a C, so definitely want to avoid some of the those non-primal binges earlier in the challenge.

Mentioned my 99 miler is 11 weeks out but it is closer to 12 weeks out.  This week I plan to continue the daily runs, do a long run (or 2), and revise my gear and food lists for the race so I can figure out things I need to get and want to try out in training.  I already got my first pair of official running shorts (3" split shorts with build in brief) and was unsure about them before hand but I have done three runs with them and absolutely love them.  Similarly I have a few runs with my new injini trail toe socks and I like them.  Also going to try and make an unofficial loose training plan (like a weekend day with long run in the morning and in the night).

• Like 1

You are going great with the challenge.  So when you do your long runs in the morning and a second in the evening about how long (time or distance) will each be?  

For that I am thinking of doing a 3-4 hour morning run and then going for a run when the kids go to bed and go for as long as seems ok (2-6 hours).  Trying to see what weekend might be best for this.  If I can get a definite date I might invite my trail running friends and might have some company.

Trying to decide if I should seek out a pacer for the later portions of my race.  Most of my friends are either running, volunteering or directing the race, so leaves a limited supply of distance runners.

I would have to imagine the night to be the toughest to navigate and think clearly if tired and well tired.  :) What is the course like as far as navigating?

The course isn't designed yet.  But I live next to this park and run there a few times a month, so I know all the major trails quite well and working on the some of the unofficial trails too.  And since it is based on a relay, there will be 3 legs that I will do 6 times each.  So after the first 17 miles, it will be fresh in my mind (they plan to do previews of the legs at some point).

I also got myself a tentative pacer for the tail end of the race!

This week had some more binges started with eating delicious food on the wedding anniversary.  Ugh, sugar: stop being so addicting :)

Bought the dog a new harness (a pulling one, thought about a no-pull one but I don't feel safe running with those).  Tried it out and seems to fit her pretty well, so excited to do my normal easy run tomorrow.

Congrats on the wedding anniversary.  Always fun to celebrate.  What kind of dog?  

Sugar gets me too more often than not dang it.  

Congrats on the wedding anniversary.  Always fun to celebrate.  What kind of dog?  

Sugar gets me too more often than not dang it.  

Thanks.  She supposedly is a pointer and beagle mix, but she doesn't look like most boingles (the technical name for the mix) so we aren't too sure.  Definitely has some strong pointer traits and is great at pulling.  We have already ran three 3 mile runs with the harness and she loves it.  The third run it took a while to get the harness on her since she was so excited.

• Like 1

Results

(1) 95% primal +4 CON

88.9%

D, +1 CON

(2a) At least 40 workouts +2 DEX

A+, +2 DEX

(2b) At least 6 workouts over 2 hours +2 STA

A+, +2 STA

(2c) At least 2 practice 5k < 25:00 +2 STR

C, +1 STR

(3) Bodyweight 36 times (20 push ups, 10 pull ups, 10 pistol squats each leg, 60 second handstand) +2 STR

A, +2 STR

(4) Spend time purposely outside 36 times +1 WIS +1 CHA

A, +1 CHA

Stats
LVL: 22, FAILS: 2, STR: 35, DEX: 32.5, STA: 48.25, CON: 22, WIS: 18.25, CHA: 14.75

• Like 1