suelk takes it up a level

awesomesue

Here we go for yet another challenge.  This year has been informative and fun!

Okay I have the need to take one epic thing off my list.  I also need to improve my strength work.  Great at consistency but not improving as much I know I am capable of improving.  Also during this challenge my best pal was in the hospital for what they thought was a heart attack.  It was stress luckily.  She is younger than me by 10+ years.  I am a worrier and I mean I over achieve in that endeavor.  LOL  Not a good thing.  So here are my goals...

Goal 1 - Cross off one Epic!

• Do my 100 mile ride.  I have put it off and found reasons to do so.  Bike is great, the weather is great, and I am going to do it!  I do not need to be fast.  The most I have ridden in one day is 40 miles.  Not stopping during the week between challenges so firmly believe that this is definitely possible!  Each week I will add 10 miles to my longest ride.  Weather permitting because I am not doing it all on an exercise bike...no way no how...on the final weekend of the challenge I will do my awesome fun 100 mile ride.  I have been dreaming of this and playing with possible routes I want to ride.  I have started and stopped working on it for various good and lame reasons.  No more and I am beyond excited.  Also I am intimidated.  

Goal 2 - Level up my strength!

• I keep sitting in the level 1 area of the NFA workouts (first body weight and then dumbbell).  Time to take it up a notch or 2.  By the end of the challenge I will be stepping into level 3 for the dumbbell workout.  Been loving those a lot lately.  I am not sure how to track this to be honest.  I will either work up a level or not.  I say for week 1 do lvl 1.  For weeks 2-5 work on level 2.  By week 6 I need to try one level 3 and evaluate from there.  Either way I need to push myself each workout.  I want to push myself each workout.  I want to be stronger!

Goal 3 - Uh oh and oh no!

• Worry, stress out, obsess over things, and more worrying oh my...all does not make for a healthy Sue.  I am setting a goal of meditating for a minimum of 5 minutes a day 4-5 days a week on average.  It can be in the morning, the evening, or at lunch I do not care.  I am curious to see how this helps by the end of the challenge.  Worrying so much can be paralyzing and also impede the goals I have.  No more I say and here I draw the line.  Yet another step to becoming even a better me.  For the challenge that means mediation 24-30 days of the 42.

So I thought about making what I have as goal 3 a "life goal" but I believe that it is part of being healthy and is a fitness quest.  In my mind it is all so related.  Thus I have come up with a master goal if you will.  It is one that unites all 3 goals in a round about way.  LOL  If you have read my past 2 challenges you will know that financially we have been going through a "challenging time".  As a result some of our food options are beyond our control.  In my view diet impacts endurance, strength, and even stress.  Therefore the master goal is as follows:

Unifying Goal

• Make each meal as healthy as possible to allow me to achieve all these great things and manage my worrying/stress.  Eat primal or paleo as much as possible.  If eating something processed then adding veggies and finding ways to improve its nutritional value.  So work with eating what we have and make good choices within that frame.  So I know there is no good way to measure this without a boat load of rules to lay down and so on.  That is pointless.  I am an adult and capable of saying I did it or I tanked it.  Hey if I tank it then I can learn and gain valuable feed back on what I could have done.  As much as possible I will post my food choices to help with accountability.  When I lost the most weight I was not full on paleo anyway.  I know I did my best with a bit of carb and dairy so in moderation those are fine.   I am shooting for 110 out of 126 possible meals.  

No waiting necessary to start this challenge.  To help get things rolling for me I am doing a zero week which I saw on bgvanbur's thread (love the idea)...

Zero week goals starting Tuesday:

1 - keep on pedaling

2 - do lvl 1 strength work

3 - meditate 3 times

unify - aim for 14 out of 18 meals

During all this I am still walking and running and maintaining all the other great things.  Stairs anyone...LOL!  I am choosing to focus on these other goals for now without loosing sight of all these improvements I have made.

• Like 2

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

WEEK ZERO -- WOOT

I am doing a week zero as well. I didn't do it last challenge and it probably made things a bit harder. Here's to the Spring Challenge!

• Like 2

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Rained this morning and thunderstorms likely during the ride time home so no biking to work.  I plan on hitting the exercise bike for a few miles.  I am thinking 10-15 miles.  I have strength work today.  May run at lunch.  Already started the day off with meditation for 7 minutes.  

Food for the first part of the day is:

Breakfast:

egg/banana thing with 1 tbs natural peanut butter (nothing added to it, just peanuts)

Lunch:

wretched off off brand spaghetti rings (1 serving) with 1/4 tsp parm. cheese to hopefully make it better...anyone have ideas here on flavoring it?

peas

apple

Normally I do not like peas but in an effort to eat something with those "rings" I wanted to add non processed things that are healthier options.  I have learned to tolerate peas though.  Almost like them at times in some dishes as long as they are not overly abundant.  LOL

Off to grade some exams and clean labs.

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Awesomeness!  100 mile ride sounds awesome.  What are NFA workouts?  And like the meal goal since it seems quite smart (diet goals can be tricky to make them measurable without much measuring).

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Good luck on your hundred mile ride :D

Thanks!  I am looking forward to it.  Found some areas I have not ridden in a long time.  It sounds fun to do and sometime before moving from Ohio I would love to do TOSRV the full event.

Awesomeness!  100 mile ride sounds awesome.  What are NFA workouts?  And like the meal goal since it seems quite smart (diet goals can be tricky to make them measurable without much measuring).

Nerd Fitness Academy.  Basic workouts that progress in difficulty for paid members.  They are smart, easy to follow, and I enjoy following them.  I like having it laid out for me.

Last Friday we were given a whole turkey.  Guess what my husband cooked up today?  You guessed it turkey!  So it looks like dinner will be turkey, some corn/mac & cheese recipe thing, and either zucchini or broccoli.  

I forgot to mention we tried a new recipe on Sunday that was a smash.  Curried cauliflower with a homemade peanut sauce.  Loved it!  It is just as good without the peanut sauce for dipping.  The best part is ... my husband has finally found a way he not only likes cauliflower (I love it he hates it) but he can devour the stuff.  Awesome!

• Like 1

I thought it was Nerd Fitness Academy but wasn't sure.

Awesome scoring a free whole turkey.  Was the cauliflower recipe online?  If so can you link to it since it sounds great, otherwise I think I can wing something like it :)

Was the cauliflower recipe online?  If so can you link to it since it sounds great, otherwise I think I can wing something like it :)

Break up the entire head of cauliflower florets into bite size pieces.  Mix together 3-4 tbs olive oil, juice from 1/2 a lemon, 1 tbs curry powder, and dash of cayenne pepper.  Toss the cauliflower in that mixture to coat it as much as possible and lay flat on baking sheet.  Bake at 350 until crisp tender to tender (15-20 minutes).  My husband found many recipes online and this is what we settled on doing based on what we know works.  If you want the peanut dipping sauce let me know.  It is really simple and flavorful.

• Like 1

Dinner changed.  Turkey, roasted potato, and peas are what we ended up doing.  I am good with that and we even boiled some of the bones to get a nice broth to drink too.  Dragging from Sunday so I did do my strength work but at this point going to bed early for more rest.  

I am not sure what went wrong but that amazing grazing streak I had going is blown.  I munched on turkey and pistachios like mad when I got home.  My gosh was I ravenous and had that sensation in my teeth/lips when hypoglycemic.  I am guessing I did not have nearly enough protein. Planning my meals better tomorrow.

Woah, yea, I guess you could have used more protein!

To add to spaghetti rings:

first, is there already a sauce with them?

If not, try using a fresh salsa. I used it on tortellini and it was pretty cool.

If it has sauce already, perhaps try some meat chunks (ham maybe).

Al dente veggies to add some snap, like carrots.

I'm still new in the kitchen so that's all I got! lol

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

I had thought about garlic or onion powders but the rings, which do have sauce, tend to taste a little sweet.  Hot sauce is not something that occurred to me but definitely something I will try to cut the sweet taste.   They are some brand that is not common in our area (that I know of) at all and definitely are different from the name brand or store brands of the same item....not that those are anything we buy either.  

Breakfast:

hard boiled egg

3/4 cup roasted potatoes

Lunch:

spag. rings

apple 

Turkey

So far the only processed food is the rings.  They tend to be mostly sauce with little pasta.  Maybe that is a good thing.  ;)

Biked 9 miles on the exercise bike since it is more rain and thunderstorms today.  Will run at lunch and if we can doge storms after getting home I plan on taking my daughter out for sprints.  She is zippy and I think she will really like doing them.  I am thinking a total of 1/2 to  1 mile.

• Like 1

Dinner last night

• ham sandwich (we found a whole ham on sale and frankly I enjoy ham a couple times a year)...white bread (free), american cheese product slice (I have no idea why we have that in the house), and mayo (only have with deviled eggs 4 times a year but hey if you are going with american "cheese" then why not).  Okay not the greatest foods.  Odd day yesterday overall.  Tummy is still not happy with me.
  • a new dish that is a baked mac and cheese with corn made with real cheese and a nice roux.  Used a good quality pasta that has more protein in it and tastes great.  Hubby tossed in some ham as well.
  • easter treats...bad bad bad idea with all the junk ate earlier.  Not doing great having that junk around.  One piece every few days is fine but what I did last night was not so great.

Started to ride the exercise bike this morning but then my husband showed up with a wonderful cup of coffee.  Normally I drink and ride but I wanted to sit with him so I did and it was nice.  Will ride this evening and do strength.  Keep forgetting meditation.  Run at lunch will happen.  Stormy day so no bike commuting.  :(  Next week is looking promising.

Breakfast

• a shredded wheat cereal
  • banana
  • almond milk

Lunch

• left over pasta dish from last night (hate to waste food).  It was okay but not great.  

Dinner is kiddo and mom time so I am sensing it will be the usual...breakfast for dinner.  Not sure what but I am looking forward to the pumpkin smoothie she will make with pumpkin puree, almond milk, cinnamon, and plain greek yogurt.  Tasty!  Sometimes she adds a banana or a dash of honey to sweeten.

Feeling bummed to be honest.  So much rain so no biking to work.  Missing runs because I do not want to use the treadmill and yesterday I just did not want to go to the parking garage.  I feel better when I get it done.

Mentally hit a wall.  I can say it is not a win with food yesterday or today already.  That is okay.  Evaluate and pick myself back up and go!  I have discovered a couple insane weaknesses.  Funny these are the type that if I give into one it is a domino.  Best to avoid completely at the moment.  Silly mentality I know but once I gave in it was a no brainer to just give in again and again and again.  One thing triggered other cravings and well you know it did not go well for me.  I feel it today after a couple days of knowingly overdoing certain items.  My muscles burn (not from working out but from rheumatoid myositis...happy happy joy joy) and my joints are on fire.  Even my face hurts some.  It can be turned around and hopefully before certain meds are required.  *head*palm*head*palm*head*palm*

No strength work yesterday but I did meditate for 10 minutes and run at lunch before the storm moved in.  I was out as it started to look ominous.  When I saw construction workers abandoning their scaffolding and lowering equipment I knew it was time to move inside.  Then thunder cracked overhead right as I was considering if I could still run.  I love running in the rain.

It has been a crazy few days.  Food improved.  Meditated again, skipped strength work for a couple days to rest, took kiddo to the pool and swam with her for 3 hours, and today it was gorgeous out so this morning I headed out on the bike.  Rode 30 miles.  I intended more.  Worked through my back getting tired, dealt with chaffing (uh oh!), but my knees are sore and I have a new appreciation for saddle sore.  Boy do I ever....

No regrets on the ride and next week will be more.  I realized in the midst of this challenge I have a girl scout overnight with my daughters troop.  Poor them, I snore.  LOL  Anyway that make getting in one of my longer rides tough let alone my beloved running.  While riding I rode part of the route I was considering for the 100 miler.  It is all bike path.  Definite bonuses but at the same time it was so busy and so many runners with headphones on loudly could not hear any signal as to passing.  That was frustrating.  I may listen to things running but I keep one ear out or keep it low so I hear people coming up behind.  I do not like to be surprised.

Again no running for a couple days or strength work.  Working to recover and today may not have entirely helped.  LOL  In addition to looking at a great weather week and biking to work once again.  Okay it is supposed to rain or storm (depending on the news channel you listen to) tomorrow evening but I may still ride.  

So week zero has been mixed for me but one mixed week does not break what has been a great year thus far.  My energy is ever up.  My strength has increased.  My endurance has made improvements.  I even dropped a minute off my mile.  Remember I am fairly slow so improving one minutes means I am a little less slow.  ha ha ha  I saw many people running my pace for their runs.  

• Like 2

Just keep spinning.  A hundred miles is an epic goal.  I have done 90 and it was rough (very hilly last 40miles).  Good luck!

• Like 1

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Finally a break in weather and today I was able to ride to work.  I am a little on the sore side but hey it could be worse.  Storms this evening so may have to run with kiddo tomorrow.

Knocked out a morning meditation but it did not help with my stress this morning.  Had a rough start before getting off to work.  Ah well.  Thought it would be nice to start the day more relaxed.  Strength work this evening.

Breakfast:  egg & banana thing + 1 tbs natural pb

Lunch:  canned tuna in water mixed with mustard + orzo chickpea salad my husband made (orzo, onions (red and green), feta, olive oil, lemon, garlic powder, chickpeas)

Snack:  apple

Dinner:  sauerkraut with a hot dog (hey working with what we have) + mac and cheese + some veggie to keep with the unifying goal (adding veggie when eating something processed)

Feel okay with the meals today and that I am keeping with working within the unifying goal.  Dinner is cringe worthy at points, I know.  Dropping bread when eating the dog and kraut and adding a veggie of some kind I think are a good way to balance out the meal/day.  We missed the produce drop last week from the resource center so the veg options are limited but still we have options.

Made a bone broth from some of the turkey bones (my husband accidentally threw out most of the carcass).  Thinking of thawing some of it and adding broccoli or using it to make broccoli soup (pureed variety) to have with the orzo chickpea salad tomorrow.

Started playing around with the route for the 100 mile ride.  I do  not want to necessarily do repetitive loops to get the distance in so I rode a portion of it.  It was nice.  Glad I rode it first to work out a couple details on it.  Only I can get lost/turned around on a freaking bike path.  LOL  I will choose another portion of the possible route this weekend to see.  Part of it I may not be able to test ride/review first.  Still the route is not set in stone yet.  :)  Looking forward to the overall adventure!

• Like 2

Sucks about the partial bone broth, my wife knows now not to though any bones or vegetables ends away (since the dog and I are not as picky about eating certain parts of veggies she used to think were tossable).

Sounds like fun planning a 100 mile bike trip and seeing some of it ahead of time.

• Like 1

Got home last night and a horrible headache set in rather quickly.  It was bad enough I just ditched everything.  My husband, trying to be awesome (and he is  :love-struck: ), after I made a joke when I first got home ordered dinner.  Yeah that meatball sub was delicious.  A local place that is reasonably priced, been around for decades, and makes all their own stuff.  I was an eating machine.  Never felt too full when I was done but what I ate normally would have been too much so I will call that not a win for dinner.  On the up note in trying to comfort my aching head when my hubby ordered dinner he did NOT order soda.  That was a welcome change since I would have given in to that temptation for sure.

I did push through the headache and make broccoli soup with the bone broth.  Guess what I am having for breakfast today?  Yep soup and 2 very small pieces of sausage & hot pepper pizza.  Lunch is an apple, tuna, and orzo chickpea salad.  Dinner tonight will be what it was going to be last night.

Biked to work thus I will be biking home.  It was a very good ride in today.  Will run at lunch and again with kiddo this evening for her run.  Strength training will happen as well.  Already let everyone know my plan and it is all good.  I am just happy that my head is not hurting like it did last night.  Still feels off from the headache but whew glad that is over.  Only happens 2-4  times a year or so thankfully.

Sucks about the partial bone broth, my wife knows now not to though any bones or vegetables ends away (since the dog and I are not as picky about eating certain parts of veggies she used to think were tossable).

Sounds like fun planning a 100 mile bike trip and seeing some of it ahead of time.

Hey you cook any part of a veggie long enough and puree it into a soup and I will eat it.  I am thinking about freezing bones from now on if we do not have that many from any particular meal.  Freeze them to save them up so when I have enough I can make a delicious broth.  I cook  it until the bones are tender so hopefully I am getting all that is good out of them.  How do you make yours?

I used to cook mine bone broth on the stove for a few hours.  But I started using the slow cooker overnight and it is twice as thick (like jello once I refrigerate it) and but it means I use less at a time since it is more dense.  Whenever I have a turkey I make a new batch of broth, but I collect all the other bones in a bag in freezer and seems to work well (right now trying to finish up my current batch of broth in fridge since my bag of bones in the freezer is getting near the crock pot size).

Sounds like an awesome active day planned!  Would be a lot of points by last challenge standards :)

I just realized I did not set up a good way to track progress necessarily for some goals.  Some of the goals are basically either I do or do not with little in between.  

Goal 1:  Cross of an Epic!

• I need to increase long rides 5 out of 6 weeks.  In general I plan on upping my miles each week with riding to work and extending routes to an from, time on the exercise bike if weather stinks, and doing a weekly long ride all but one of the weeks.  Tracking it on dailymile (see signature) but I will also post total mileage here.  
  • I also want to do one-two interval speed workout on the bike.

Goal 2:  Level up my strength!  I actually laid out a plan with this one.  

•  lvl 1 for this week with increased weights I determined last week.  
  • Weeks 2-5 focus on lvl 2 for dumbbell and watch for improvement in reps and weights.  
  • Week 6 try at least 1 lvl 3.

Goal 3:  Uh oh and oh no!  I set this up already.

• minimum of 5 minutes of meditation 4-5 days a week.  That works to be 120 minutes minimum but ideally 150 minutes (or more...) for the total challenge.  I am a little flexible with this goal.  If I find 20 minutes 3 times a week works just as well then as long as I am making progress and seeing an improvement then I am happy.  Yay I get to play with progress bars once again!

Unifying goal:  Yes my goal is to make each meal as healthy as possible but if that is the case then after last night I sort of tanked it right out of the gate.  That is not acceptable and unrealistic to expect every meal to be as healthy as possible working with what we have for the entire 6 weeks.  Yes I know this is sort of subjective but I know what we have, have no reason to lie, and know when a meal could have been improved.  In posting what I eat I am always open to suggestions like when we have that dreaded can of beef stew.  Reminding me I could add peas and more carrots or dilute the salty sauce by pouring some off and making our own stock to dilute it.  Any suggestions or creative ideas are most welcome.  I am trying to include a fruit and/or veggie every meal and manage what processed crud we have by trying to switch out some things or adding whole foods.  I think you get my line of thought.  I want to be more paleo/primal when half of what you get is pasta you work with it.  Eat less of the pasta and more of the veggies is my strategy but not ruling it out completely.  If I can add something to boost nutrition then you know I will.  

• Therefore I am aiming for a minimum of 18 out of 21 meals each week which works out to be 108 minimum (or more) out if 126 total meals.