suelk takes it up a level

awesomesue

I used to cook mine bone broth on the stove for a few hours.  But I started using the slow cooker overnight and it is twice as thick (like jello once I refrigerate it) and but it means I use less at a time since it is more dense.  Whenever I have a turkey I make a new batch of broth, but I collect all the other bones in a bag in freezer and seems to work well (right now trying to finish up my current batch of broth in fridge since my bag of bones in the freezer is getting near the crock pot size).

Sounds like an awesome active day planned!  Would be a lot of points by last challenge standards :)

Yeah having it gelatinous is entertaining when refrigerated.  I think we cook ours on the stove for about 3 hours and in the crock not quite as long as you do.  May throw them in for an overnight cook next time.  I have been thinking the same thing about last challenge.  Still feels odd not logging points.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Broth is made from meat, stock is made from bones...  "puts away soap box"

• Like 1

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Broth is made from meat, stock is made from bones...  "puts away soap box"

Thanks for pointing this out.  Looking up bone stock just yielded articles about bone broth, regardless that term is quite entrenched :)  Alton Brown says that at home it is hard to make pure stock since we can't thoroughly clean the bones.  I think the term stock seems weird since the stuff you buy at the store seems more like meat broth I make than bone stock I make (but a large part of that is probably the consistency of it).

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Oh my so much about stock vs broth.  LOL  That broccoli soup was amazing made with the bone broth/stock.  ;)  Great mouth feel, satisfying, and I did not have any desire to add anything to it like a tiny bit of sour cream.  It needed nothing.  Flavors were spot on too.

Got out with kiddo for a run last night.  I had her do some sprints since she loves them so much.  Dinner went as planned and strength work completed.  Of course I biked home and extended the route a little.

Completed my weekly speed work out on the bike this morning adding about 3 miles to my usual morning ride to work.  No running planned today.  Legs need a break.  May increase the distance home on my ride also but doing it at an easy pace.  Tomorrow there is a good chance of rain so I may only get a run in and take one day off biking.  Kiddo is wanting to start riding too so I have a feeling most weekends I will be riding both Saturday and Sunday not really getting the one day off a week I should be taking or think I should be taking.  That kid can go 12 miles if we take a couple breaks.

Food today:  banana, 1/2 tbs peanut butter, almond milk, orzo chickpea salad, apple, turkey, delicious can't wait to drink it broccoli soup, and I have not clue about dinner yet.

• Like 2

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

I forgot to mention earlier that I have 20 minutes of mediation down over 3 sessions.  nice.

I get this daily email from supermarketguru.  This was one of the articles they linked to at the bottom.  

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/04/14/399591292/why-the-fda-is-clueless-about-some-of-the-additives-in-our-food

No wonder so many of us try to eat fresh and minimally processed foods. 

• Like 2

Ended up riding 15 miles yesterday (8 in the morning and 7 in the evening).    Dinner was this chicken breast skinless & boneless/ham/swiss and sauce pack stuff over egg noodles.  We were given the sauce pack and when my husband opened it and added it the amount of salt in it burned his nose.  He ended up diluting it to make it go further and cut down the sodium.  He also cooked some mushroom with a tiny bit of olive oil to add to the dish.  Used less noodles then we would have in the past (kept it to an actual serving size), not that much ham, and loads of chicken.

Today is an odd day at work.  It is an InService day so the president speaks and meetings that I do not need to attend.  I mostly catch up on work and make sure the labs are ready to roll for the evening classes.  Thus it makes it an odd food day.  I had almond milk and cereal with a tbs of  natural peanut butter for breakfast.  Had to add protein to the meal.  Work is providing lunch:

Menu
Tossed Salad
(Ranch & Italian Dressing)
Penne Pasta
(lightly sautéed fresh asparagus, roasted red & yellow peppers, artichoke hearts and zucchini with a garlic olive & lemon oil sauce)
Beef Tenderloin Tips
(beef tenderloin tips served with red wine demi-glace)
Baked Cod
(baked cod fillets served with a rich mornay Sauce & topped with chopped scallions) 
Glazed Baby Belgium Carrots
Mashed Potatoes
(prepared with butter and cream)
Assorted Rolls & Butter
Desserts
Boston Cream Pie Parfaits
Strawberry Cassata Cake
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

So those are my choices for lunch.  Skipping the salad unless they have vinegar and oil.  I do not like ranch or italian packets at all....uck.  Going for a protein.  Thinking fish and not taking any sauce.  It just sounds good.  All the veggies have sugar or stuff I do not want so I may grab some pasta trying to take mostly the veggies from that dish.  Not feeling the bread or dessert options although they are quite delicious or have been in the past.  It is all prepared by our hospitality management students.  They really do a very good job.  Just trying to balance my day and make decent choices.  Tonight is breakfast for dinner with kiddo.  Hoping they have some fresh fruit at lunch.  If not then I will add a fruit to our dinner.  Maybe a pumpkin smoothie (pumpkin puree, almond milk, banana, and cinnamon) which are delicious and nutritious.  LOL

Children are amazing in general.  Watching them grow and change is fun if not a little painful too.  LOL  The other night I mentioned I wanted more of something to eat although I did not need it at all and I was not hungry (hormones were adding a challenge to being smart).  She looked at me very bluntly and with no malice, just being honest, told me no.  Then she preceded to say "I thought you said you are wanting to get healthier and loose weight and you do not need this.".  Wow.  She continued to remind me of my running and biking and so on.  Not what I wanted to hear in the moment but just what I needed to hear.  It is fantastic when they can hold that mirror up to you and you know there is nothing negative behind it.

Other than walking today my legs are getting a big break.  No running or biking but I am tempted to work them in somehow.  I know they need a rest so walking it is despite the overwhelming desire to run and bike.  I do have strength work planned so it will be nice to do it without legs that are a bit on the tired side.
  • Like 2

Okay nailed lunch.  The veggies were sitting in the pan with pasta but were not mixed in.  I noticed many people taking mostly pasta and few veggies.  Half my plate were veggies, 1/4 fruit (they had a chocolate fountain...skipped the fountain and went for the fruit), the rest protein...fish and tried a few bites of the beef with little sauce.  Delicious and satisfying.  

I am up to 32 minutes of meditation and hit all 4 sessions this week.  Yes!  Hope to see if it helps with stress and other things.

32 out of 120-150

For food I am at 9/108.  Sort of being a hard judge because I could have had an apple this morning with breakfast.  We have them at home and it would have helped balance out that meal in my view.  

• Like 1

Kiddo made dinner and I made the drink.  It was really cool to be cooking together.  We did have a treat later which was also quite fun.  One more strength workout this week and then done.  Rode to work.  I was having a rough morning right before I left.  Rode to work and feel better even if I am still stressed and a little sad.  Checked email and had this sitting there.  Made me laugh even more.

http://www.peopleforbikes.org/pages/shed-the-monster?utm_medium=email&utm_source=bikes&utm_content=2&utm_campaign=shedmainemail&source=shedmainemail

Running, biking, hiking, and walking all do it for me when I can get away from everyone and everything.  Strength work does it as well but is different.

• Like 1

Your raising a great kiddo over there!  And quite impressive with all the exercise.  And running definitely helps me shed the monster, biking does too but I don't do that as often :)

• Like 1

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

That video made me laugh! It's a bit rainy today otherwise I would totally go biking tonight. Running, walking, biking, hiking - all help me shed the monster. Shout out to you for nailing your lunch yesterday. Not always easy to do when you're not making the food yourself. 

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

Catching up a tad here.  Friday food: shredded wheat, almond milk, apple, left over from a couple nights ago, and the usual homemade pizza night.  Overall it was an okay food day.  Biked 16 miles also on Friday.  Busy and stressful day.  

Saturday:  egg, one slice of toast (homemade bread that was a gift), made ground venison into sausage, and cranberry stuff (saw it has hfcs...ugh...used to think it was an okay food to eat).  Feeling frustrated and cried a tad because of wanting to eat better.  Okay deal with it I know.  Lunch did not happen other than raisins, sunflower seeds, a slice of bread with peanut butter.  No one was hungry.  We did get a lot of protein at breakfast and that always seems to carry over quite well.  Kiddo and I had our run today.  She ran 2.03 miles with some walking.  Wow.  It was fun for part.  She was having a challenging time of it mentally.  I kept it positive and kept telling her I knew she could do it.  I let her set paces and walk breaks.  I had to force a couple of the runs.  She was proud of herself afterwards.  We ended at a playground and I have to say swinging is a great post run cool down.  LOL  Later she went on her first bike ride of the season (had to clean it up a bit from the winter...stored outside but covered with thick plastic).  We did a total of 3 miles with a long stop at yet another playground.  We had such and adventure at the playground and on the ride.  She did fantastic on the road.

Dinner tonight is taco night for yet another Saturday.  Can not get things to change it up.  My husband is making a spanish rice so I am doing a rice bowl with beans and some ground chicken.  May eat some green beans on the side.  Adding one ounce a cheese and skipping sour cream.  Not sure what else to do to improve the nutrition in it.  Plenty of canned chopped tomatos and sauce on it all.

Well despite getting gift cards for running shoes not sure when I can get them or if I can get them.  Money keeps going to more important places.  I do not ask for things for myself.  Really has me depressed since I am not sure how much I can run  in these old worn out shoes.  My big toes are now loosing part of their nail each time I do more than 3 or 4 miles of a run.  More important things I know.  Fell in love with something and working so damn hard to improve my health and that of my family.  It has been rare in my life to enjoy something so much.  I know.

Overall today was fantastic.  Kiddo and I had great adventures.  Husband got his school work done and worked on his CEU's for a certificate he needs to renew which will help on the job front.

I am thinking it is a Star Wars kind of evening.  LOL

Tomorrow I have a pretty decent bike ride planned.  Oh finished off my strength work for the week.  Next week I am going to work on pushing myself and will be doing lvl 2.  Looking forward to it.

Oooo there is the dinner bell.  :)

Lets see...

I ended up eating less than 1 tbs of sour cream on dinner but kept the rest as planned.

Sunday is pretty decent.

Breakfast:  baked potato with olive oil, about 1/2 tbs of chopped bacon ends (cheap way to buy really good quality bacon), one egg, 1/2 oz cheese.

Lunch:  some seeds and shared some beef ravioli with kiddo....not homemade ravioli, it was canned

Dinner:  rice with homemade bbq sauce and baked chicken thighs (baking in the oven right now for later), green beans

I am aching at the moment and it is good.  Rode 50 miles today...half way to 100 goal!  My poor bum hurts and shoulders/upper back are tired.  Legs are tired but feel pretty good.  I can not believe I am half way to 100!  Took a break during the ride to eat with kiddo at home and finished the miles on the exercise bike due to needing to be around.  It was gorgeous out but on the way home it was all head winds and they were picking up quite a bit.  Dirt kept getting in my eyes despite the sunglasses.  Started thinking on the ride that I may not plan out all the miles for the big one.  I had fun setting out with a basic plan but veering off to explore and go where ever I wanted to go is what kept it interesting.  All the trees in bloom just fill the air with their scent and the petals flying around as the wind kicked up looked like snow.  Watching all the water fowl was also a bit distracting but welcome.  The river I like to ride by has been part of a restoration project removing dams and reinvigorating the natural flood plains/wetlands all along the river.  It is already looking amazing.  Yeah my rides are not fast.  I think it is around 15 mph average since I keep enjoying the scenery!  Definitely enjoying the journey.

Tomorrow will be strength work (first thing in the morning) and most likely not riding to work due to storms.  I will make a point to walk or run a couple miles at lunch.  I am going to spend the rest of today on laundry and working on food for the week (trying to plan out lunch and breakfast mostly).  Not sure what else will happen today.   :)

So to sum up my goals for the week:

#1 --  Cross off an epic -- yep I think I am getting closer!  Rode over 100 miles this week.  Totally awesome!

#2 -- Lvl up strength -- attacking level 2 tomorrow and really going to work hard to push myself

#3 -- Uh oh and oh no! -- nailed 4 sessions of mediation for 32 out of the goal of 120-150 minutes

Unifying goal -- 19 of 108 meals successful in adding something of redeeming nutritional value and reducing what is not so great.  

Overall a decent week 1.  Not perfect but not bad at all.

• Like 1

Started off the day knocking out the strength workout.  Not really different for lvl 2a but I pushed it.  Step ups are way too easy.  Will have to adress that later today to make it a challenge.  Love starting the day out feeling strong.  Energy is off the charts.  Legs feel great considering the ride yesterday and then the goblet squats this morning.  Tiny bit sore but that is not unexpected.  I did not expect for them to feel as good as they do though.  Bottom still a tad tender but not bad.  Rest day from riding.  I am walking extra today.  Maybe 3 miles to help keep everything loose.  

Food today:

Breakfast:  refrigerator oatmeal with almond milk, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, 1 tbs of raisins, and a dash of blackstrap molasses (that was recommended to me for the vitamins and minerals)

Lunch:  left overs from taco night (homemade spanish rice (1/2 cup), black beans, tomato, ground chicken, 1 oz of cheese), pink grapefruit

Dinner:  Left overs from last night.  I did not eat much rice last night and will not tonight due to rice at lunch.  I ended up really hungry last night and went for some peanut butter on a slice of homemade bread.  Just enough to be satisfying.  Wanted an apple but we are currently out.  Still there were worse options I could have chosen at home so I feel okay about it.  Next time maybe just a small amount of pb on a spoon.

Packed everything last night while working on dishes and it gave me so much more time in the morning.  The last thing I like to do first thing is have to work out food for the day.  I will do that again tonight.  Much easier to think through when not hungry and busy.  Plus it is nice waking up knowing it is already taken care of and all that needs done is some coffee, tea, and water.

Finished yesterday with meditation of 8 minutes and walked 3 miles.  Was doing more meditation but then my daughter wanted to cuddle and read together and it was late.  Hey she is growing up so fast and that is time I definitely enjoy.

Rode into work and did some speed work on my bike.  Fun!  It was only 9 miles but wow was it great.  I remember when riding 4.5 miles to work would leave me breathless and that was with walking my bike up steep hills.  Gosh it would take me so long to get anywhere.

For the rest of the day I have more riding of course and a lunch run.  I am also going to do a quick evening run with my daughter. 

Kept to the plan for dinner last night.  Today's plan:

Breakfast -- one slice of toast with an egg, 1/2 oz chopped bacon ends, oregano, red onion, and a tsp of cream cheese

Lunch --  exactly the same as yesterday

Dinner -- I have no clue ... LOL  Maybe fish and a vegetable.  Perhaps salmon patties or some white fish baked, spinach balls, and peas.  Kiddo loathes spinach but likes peas.  Sometimes I make pea soup and puree some spinach into it which she knows but does not mind.

Packed lunch again last night.  Again that made for a nice morning.  I am surprised at how much time that gives me in the morning when packed.  Which is funny since my husband usual packs anything I ask for in the morning.  I feel more motivated when I wake up for some reason.  Definitely going to keep it up.  Tomorrow morning I have another strength workout.  Feeling a little sore from yesterday but it is not bad at all.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that I made the lab computer in the prep room into a standing computer.  I would do it but also would sit too.  I made it quicker and easier to convert into a standing desk/computer when I am around.  :)

We have joked about transforming some of the office cubicles into treadmill desks.  If only there was a shower at work, other than the safety shower anyways.

• Like 2

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Good idea to pack your lunch the night before - I'm usually in such a rush that I grab whatever random food I can, which is how I ended up today with chicken noodle soup, celery and peanut butter. A standing computer sounds awesome! Sometimes I don't even realize how long I've been sitting staring at a computer!

• Like 1

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

We have joked about transforming some of the office cubicles into treadmill desks.  If only there was a shower at work, other than the safety shower anyways.

I have to check our safety showers monthly and that water is COLD!  

I am on my feet most all day more days than not but today has been a heavy computer day and boy it is different standing the entire time at it compared to being at it for an hour here and there working on it.

Today took off and I threw myself into a project.  That means no lunch run but I will run this evening after dropping kiddo at home...unless she wants to chase me on her bike.  That is always fun.

So tired and was really busy today.  Started the day with strength work.  Ran part way home for a total of 3 miles.  I am going to meditate as soon as I log off.  Today started off good with strength work.  Got to work and everything went sideways.  Super busy.  That run part way home was very good.  I thought the time to think would be good but it turned out to be a time to simply "be".  I got swept up in enjoying the wind and cool air.  The feeling of my body moving through the air and just the moment.  It all came together.  Did not bike due to chilly rain this morning.  I was going to bike at lunch but due to my odd schedule today and the opportunity to eat with my husband I decided not to bike.  ;)

Food for the day:

shredded wheat cereal with 1tbs pb and almond milk

tuna, frozen broccoli, mandarin oranges (in juice), a couple bites of a slice of a lovely sweet potato pie...okay I ate half the slice and it was nice.

tilapia, potato (hubby made oven fries), cream corn (from a can)

Overall with the foods we have available I think I did pretty good today.  Not sure about breakfast tomorrow but I know lunch will be a repeat, minus the pie, of today.  Dinner will be left overs from last night some how combined with my daughters love (and mine) of breakfast for dinner.  I am thinking about making a spinach soup.  

Today we obtained more cucumbers than I know what to do with and a couple eggplants.  I enjoy eggplant but that one food has been my nemesis in the kitchen.  These are the only things I have failed at repeatedly in the kitchen.  Not sure how to prepare it.  Actually I will have cucumber with lunch.  Back to the eggplants, they need eaten sooner than later.  Any tips on these buggers?  I think you can roast and puree it...can not remember what it is called.  Did I mention the obscene amount of cucumbers?  Holy crud...    

Do not want to waste good food but not sure what to do with this many.

Hey, sorry I haven't been online much lately. You said you were tired today but it looks like you made a win out of it anyway. Way to go!

:love_heart:

• Like 1

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

Started today off a bit lazy.  For breakfast I could have eaten much healthier but I have been craving cheese toast so I indulged.  I can call it delicious but not a win for breakfast.  Ah well.  Every couple months does not hurt.  My husband made rice the other night.  It needs eaten so it does not go to waste.  Lunch was lean yesterday so after adding cucumber to lunch I also mixed broccoli and rice together.  Still eating more breads and grains than I would like but making the best I can with it.  These items come and go and until more produce is available at the center then you just make it work.  

Today I have planned biking at lunch and sprinting with my daughter this evening.  I did not feel like riding in with the chill in the air today.  I have ridden much colder but again I started off lazy today.

We are going to share the cucumbers with my inlaws since there are so many they would go bad before we can eat them but I still found some ideas to try.  Also I am going to turn the eggplants into baba ghanoush (spelling?).  First it is super fun to say and secondly it is delectable.  other eggplant options are appreciated for future eggplanty goodness!

Oh I got in a second meditation for the week for 10 minutes.  It was very nice.

Speaking of yesterday I did have one moment of feeling completely amazing during the run home.  I saw myself in huge pains of glass and I thought "Wow you look awesome.  Just too cool running in my jeans, sunglasses, blue hoodie, and backpack on...".  It was strange to have that thought pop up and to intentionally catch a second glance at myself feeling awesome.  I mean I am still over weight but I have made such improvements and feel great.  More importantly I am doing what I love.

Hey, sorry I haven't been online much lately. You said you were tired today but it looks like you made a win out of it anyway. Way to go!

:love_heart:

Oh my you have been busy and fighting a sore throat with an impending job interview.  Good luck tomorrow.  I have to check our challenge sheet just to see how bad you are kicking my backside. ;)