suelk takes it up a level

awesomesue

Yesterday was a bust.  I was sooooooooooooo tired.  I skipped the lunch bike but still took kiddo out sprinting.  This morning I woke up and forgot it was a strength day and used the fact it is 29 degrees F out not to bike in.    Thus I am biking at lunch today.  I am running after I get home while I roast the eggplants (forgot to do that last night), and knocking out strength work.  Actually I may run at lunch an easy 2 miles since I only have really old beater running shoes at work, bike at home, and do strength work when I ride.  Ride for 5 miles or so and then do a round of strength followed by riding more.  That sounds fun and I can be home to watch what I am cooking since my hubby will be busy enough.

My daughter and I had a wonderful evening.  The usual breakfast for dinner.  Today I have leftovers for breakfast from a couple nights ago, more left overs for lunch (broccoli and rice) and an apple, and pizza for dinner which is our usual Friday dinner.  Considering what we have or do not have at home today's food is pretty good.  I think the thing that helps the most is eating slower and stopping when full.  Not mindlessly grazing and tasting everything all the time has made a huge impact as well.  Just not thrilled with both pizza crust, rice, and egg noodles all in the same day.  Ate more pork at breakfast than noodles, more broccoli and apple than rice at lunch, and may try to do a small quinoa crust for me for the pizza.  Although my husband may not be keen on 2 different crusts this evening.  I will talk to him today.  He usually makes dinner tonight.

I will sum up where I am at this weekend as far as the goals go.  I still have more meditation this week to do, my long bike ride, and strength work.  Overall I know I am on track to meet the overall goals.

Slightly dreading the big ride this weekend on the bike.  Makes part of my ishium hurt thinking about it.  LOL  Last week I rode longer before it was not comfortable.  I do change positions frequently.    :nevreness:

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I am surprised you hurt your "ishium" when riding a bike.  I know it bothers me some when I start riding again, but once I start doing it frequently it doesn't bother me (granted I don't go as long as you plan).

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

It is only on the longer rides that it becomes quite tender.  Last week it took longer before it was sore.  Then it is tender the rest of the day and sensitive the next.  Has not kept me from being able to ride the next day but ouch towards the end of long rides.  Otherwise the seat and bike are very comfortable.

Talked to the husband and we needed to start the quinoa soaking much sooner so that crust is out.  Bummer.  But then I realized I can do something with cucumbers.  Making them into "noodles", toss with a bit of onion, maybe fresh mushroom, black olives, olive oil, and some kind of vinegar was an idea I got from several recipes.  Season with oregano and garlic and I think I have an amazing sounding side so I am not eating only pizza and thus will eat much less.  :)  Just not wanting so much crusty stuff.

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

I saw the idea of using cucumbers (and other vegetables) stripes as a salad.  Let us know how it goes!!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Just so long as you don't call them coodles, or zoodles when using zucchini.  Ever try using something called "hoo-hah glide"?  My wife swears by it, provided I am understanding where you are sore correctly.  

• Like 1

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

The recipe turned out tasty.  I thought I had black olives but it turned out to be whole cranberries.  LOL  Glad I saw that before opening the can.  Sliced the onion and mushrooms super thin.  Tried it with rice vinegar.  I think it would be good with a dash of sesame oil too.  I like the idea of calling them coodles.  ha ha ha  That is awesome.  Maybe with the sesame oil a dash of ginger would be nice too.  When trying to "noodle" the cucumber I found my cheep little hand held gadget does not work as well on cucumbers as it does on zucchini.  I noodled some and then thinly sliced some of the cucumbers.

I have done it with zucchini before (now called zoodles...thanks Eril!) and then topped them with a nice tomato sauce.  Never thought to try it with cucumbers.

Never heard of that glide stuff.  I do have body glide.  It is from sitting so long on the seat.  I do stand and change positions for a couple minutes every now and again.

This week I am shooting for 50-60 miles.  I rode 50 last weekend.  Since I am not riding a specific race or anything organized I have no problem taking breaks but nothing too long.  I am considering riding all the local trails and roads that are connectors for fun.  I mapped it out and roughly have that as a 78 mile ride at this point.  However I like exploring random roads that look interesting.  Next weekend I have a girl scout sleep over camp so I am not sure if I will get in a longer ride next week.

Found out today I will be doing stuff with the inlaws.  So on tap I have a short ride of about 20 miles (compared to what I am doing tomorrow) and strength work.  I will also be doing a short run with kiddo today hopefully if we can get it in before the rain.  Next week the weather is on for riding every day.  

Speaking of kiddo she made breakfast and it was quite good.  She made SOS and I poached an egg for each of us.  We also when ahead and made up baba ghanoush to have whenever.  Wish I had carrots to dip in it but all we have is pita chips.  Wonder if cucumbers dipped in it would be good.  Well you know I will give it a go.  LOL  My hubby just mentioned he was able to buy carrots so that is awesome!!!  Still I will try it with cucumbers.  

• Like 1

What a day yesterday.  Had a great weekend overall.  I was beat though in the afternoon so I am late posting a wrap up.  Over all the past few days I have done okay with food.  There was a meal I could have made healthier but did not.  So that puts me down to 19 out of 21 meals that I did what I could to make them healthier.  Still not bad.  Strength work happened, nailed meditation for the week, and biked yesterday.  Took kiddo out for a run on Saturday.  It was fun.  Torture to get her moving but once we are out the door she does great.

#1 --  Cross off an epic -- Rode 60 miles yesterday.  Took 4.5 hours not counting lunch break with the family and 30 minutes of yard work.  My legs are shot.  I did not ride in to work today.  Needed a break.  Made me nervous thinking about the 100 miles I want to do.  I may break it up into stages when I do it as in taking breaks that day.  I could easily get up and ride around 30 miles.  Enjoy breakfast with the family and then knock out another 40+ miles.  Eat lunch with the family and then finish it.  Rode lots of hills and my legs felt strong but I am paying for my ambition a little today.  :)  I know after this I will want to join an event for fun.  I am not the fastest rider on my 7 speed hybrid commuter bike but I can certainly get it done.  My bottom is sore.  The last 15 miles were very challenging.  I do not think the discomfort is getting better.  I think I am getting better at dealing with it.  I really wonder if bike shorts would help.  Ah well can not afford them so I will just push on and who knows anyway....they may not help.  Just keep pedaling.  This coming weekend I have a sleep over with my daughters Girl Scout troop so no long ride.  I may do 20-30 on Sunday once we are back but then again that depends on when we get back and how much I have to do.  I knew I would have one week off during this challenge.

#2 -- Lvl up strength -- attacking level 2 and enjoying it.  I am not capable of pull ups but I am working on it.  Other than that I am pushing my strength and in talking to my husband yesterday we both noticed a definitely improvement.  I am excited.

#3 -- Uh oh and oh no! -- Got in plenty of meditation and am up to 90 minutes out of 120-150 minutes for the challenge.  Coping with my stress/worry is going to take more than one challenge.  That is okay.  I am making an effort and this is just a first step.  

Unifying goal -- 38 of 108 meals successful in adding something of redeeming nutritional value and reducing what is not so great.  

So it is Monday morning.  Here is my food for today (before I have a chance to get behind):

Breakfast:  oatmeal with almond milk, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins, and a dash of black strap molasses

Lunch:  turkey we had frozen from a bird we cooked a couple weeks or so ago, baba ghanoush with carrots

Dinner:  ???  In laws may be treating us out.

Still thinking about yesterday.  Whenever anyone does an extended amount of time with biking or running do you end up feeling tired later and better yet turn into an eating machine?  I ate dinner but forced myself to stop at a reasonable amount.  I just could not feel full or satisfied.  But through my efforts the past couple challenges I know what is enough and despite not feeling it I could recognize that this should be enough even though I want to keep on eating.  Wow.

• Like 1

That's a crazy long bike ride! You'll get to 100 miles yet. I also turn into a food monster after especially tough runs, and I don't even realize I'm hungrier than before. After my 5K on Saturday we went out to dinner and I know I ate too much, but at the time,  I just didn't even notice I was eating so much. 

• Like 2

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

Nice bike ride!  I was out on the flat trails (gravel) on my bike and noticed it slowed me down compared to flat roads, do your trails give you similar slow down?  After a long run I usually get an insatiable appetite.  Sometimes it is a few hours after and sometimes it takes up to 36 hours, but it always comes after a good four hours or more run.

• Like 2

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Some of my ride was on paved roads, some on light gravel paths, and about half of the ride was into the wind which was only 10mph or so but that was enough to slow me down.  LOL  I can honestly say I would rather run up a hill or 10 instead of biking up those same hills.  ha ha ha  Honestly I had to keep slowing down to pass runners/walkers due to people on the opposite side of the path coming up at the same time.  I like to not spook others and give them a decent amount of space which means slowing down until the other side clears and then picking up the pace and passing.  Slow down, hurry up, resume decent enjoyable pace, and then slow way down all over again.  So lots of speed up slow down repeat.  :)

No dinner with the inlaws this evening.  Lots going on with my brother inlaw who has diabetes and does not control it very well at all.  So this evening we are having our taco night.  Beans, ground turkey, two taco shells, a little cheese, onion, a little sour cream, and tomato sauce.  Not very hungry at all.  I love it when we have lettuce to use for the taco shells.  Tonight I will pack lunch.  Tuna filled cucumber and carrots with baba ghanoush.  For breakfast it will be some left over beans from tonight, rice, and tomato sauce.  Simple.

Time...there is never enough time or I am not very good at balancing it.  Where is the Doctor and his TARDIS when you need him?  Working on this fantastic bike goal I have had for a while.  I also have a running goal.  Lately I have not run that much.  My Sunday mornings where I was best able to do long runs have become the day I am able to get out on my bike for longer rides instead.  I can easily do some of my bike on an exercise bike varying the difficulty throughout but it is not nearly as fun as being outside in the sun, meeting people along the way, watching birds, and just enjoying being...being outside.  If I relied more on the indoor bike I could easily do the rides on Saturday and run on Sunday.  Maybe not the biggest runs since my legs are tired the next day or at least they were this week after a longer ride but still more than a couple miles would be fun.  If I kept the bike rides to a 2-3 mile loop by the house on Saturdays I think it would be better but how boring.  Where is the adventure in that?  I hate doing the same loop when running too.  Part of the experience of running and biking is the adventure.  Going wherever whenever within an area so the family has an approximate idea of where I could be.  It is about being out and the freedom of simply going.  This past Sunday morning hit a rough patch.  My heart was not in the ride initially.  I mentioned to my husband that I was going to go exploring a new path but now I was not.  He smiled and told me to get out anyway and just go wherever the road takes me.  That changed my entire day.  He understands what it means to me.  He knows how much better I feel doing this stuff.  But in my head I worry about the time I am taking away.  I fret over trying to balance running and biking.  I had a time where I loved biking but resented it.  It was something that I had to do due to transportation woes.  It was a reminder of my situation and yet I loved it because I was not so limited.  It was a solution and one I enjoy doing at the same time.  It was something I wanted to do but did not enjoy because of the "had to do" moment.  At the same time it became something so utilitarian that I did not take pleasure rides.  No riding just because it sounded fun or was a lovely day or I wanted to feel the air move about me as I propel myself forward at varying speeds.  I focused more on getting that errand done or getting to work thus there was no joy.  Now I have been having fun riding to work and home.  Extending routes and just finding ways to make it fun.  I like doing intervals some mornings to break up the monotony of that ride.  It is dark when I am out so my options due to safety are a tad bit more limited.  

Maybe I could try doing longer runs on Saturday since they do not tire my legs out so but that leaves me a bit wiped out for riding on Mondays.  Perhaps I should try keeping my longer runs to an hour or 1.5 hours so I can do them during the week.  I am slow so that means about a 4.5-6.5 mile runs.  I need consistency with running at the moment and it has been anything but consistent for the past 3 weeks.  The only consistency is getting out with my daughter as she works towards her first 5k.  My legs are getting so much stronger in general from strength work and biking the routes I have ridden but how much will that carry over to running?

Anyone else struggle to balance two things like this be it running, biking, swimming, or other activity that you can spend a while doing that can take you away from home?

Oh happy Tuesday morning.  Anyone have the Doctors number?

• Like 1

Always a struggle to balance multiple things.

I usually sacrifice time to get all of the things I need to get done done throughout the day. I also have to chunk things up for different days.

The swim gets the most dedicated time because it is the most fun for me. Everything else takes a back seat and gets whatever time it gets... but I am not giving up my swimming, even if I have to get up at the crack of dawn to do it and spend way too much money on pool fees >.<

• Like 1

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Uh,  HA!?  Time, there never is enough time.  Do what you can, when you can.  Then do a little more.  When you figure where the line between bend and break is, let me know, I keep crossing it.

• Like 1

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

I got in 15 minutes of meditation yesterday.  That was nice.  Still doing strength work.  Been light on biking/running on Mon. and Tues..  By light I mean not at all.  Could not bike since we have evening plans that require the family to pick me up possibly.  Needed the extra day to bounce back.  I am running at lunch.  I will bike after we return home from being out for dinner this evening.  That is the idea anyway.  If dinner falls through with the inlaws then I may have a short second run with kiddo this evening.  I think they want greek food.  I will not say no to some lamb and a salad for sure or pastitsio at the little family run place.  This place helped when I was in college.  I could not get enough greek coffee.  Nice folks and good homemade food.

My greatest nemesis yesterday, as you can guess, was time.  Last night did not prove any better at that balance.  Still working on it.

Dinner last night was chicken breast (about 2/3 of a decent sized one), some strange mac n cheese (hope to never go there again....ugh but it was free), and spinach stuffed onion.

Today for breakfast I have baba ghanoush with carrots.  Honestly dreading it but glad to have decent food.  Lunch will be tuna and cucumber with the orzo dish my husband makes.  I am looking forward to lunch.  I am more looking forward to getting out for a run at lunch.

Crud.  Typed a post and lost it by hitting a wrong key.  To sum it up, been sick.  Went home early on Thursday and home today to rest.  I do not want to rest.  I have goals.  LOL  But there you go.  No running, biking, or strength work the past couple days while feeling incredibly ucky.  I have manage 30 minutes of meditation over 2 sessions.  I have kept food in check by making decent choices based on what we have but have not posted it here since Wednesday for any possible input.  I was feeling pretty terrible Wednesday.

My daughter made us dinner on Wed..  You know her favorite meal for dinner is breakfast.  She made us a slice of whole wheat toast and spring eggs.  She also made some banana concoction using frozen bananas that she thawed.  Thursday was cereal with almonds and sunflower seed and almond milk.  Lunch was the last of the roasted turkey from the freezer, orzo salad, and carrot sticks.  Dinner was our usual Thursday breakfast for dinner when her dad is in class.  He was home sick in bed so he did not eat and we had our usual plans.  She made egg sandwiches.  Getting egged out here but wait there is more...

She made yet another frozen banana thawed and slimy concoction that was good but man the texture is odd.  I smile and say thanks!  I enjoy it with her and appreciate how she is making healthier tasty items.  Today for breakfast it was an egg, one slice of toast, and one slice of cheese toast.  Really egg/toasted out.  Did not have anything to add fruit/veggie wise.  Hitting the store today.  Lunch today will be yet more orzo salad since my husband has been sick and not eating it and carrots.  Tonight will most likely be the usual homemade pizza night.  I am going with mushrooms and onions on mine.  Granted this is assuming I eat.  Feeling tired and nauseous.  

With Monday being "Star Wars Day" kiddo wants to make Star Wars themed cookies and do a Star Wars marathon starting Sunday and finishing Monday after school.  Why aren't there Star Wars themed veggies?  LOL  Carrot sabers aka carrot sticks, Death Star spinach balls, or anything way more creative then I can be right now.

Hate getting sick and feeling it.  Running a fever, feeling tired, and tender lymph nodes are all too fun.  Always makes me feel like the week is a wash but it is not.  I still have done good things.  I am not going to throw in the towel for the week.  I may still be able to do some strength work today and again Sunday.  I may feel better after more rest so I can strength train today and I am hoping to be better before tomorrow.  I can get in a few miles on the bike hopefully tomorrow morning and then Sunday.  I did not have a long ride planned with knowing this weekend would be busy.  Good timing on that one.  I have to let running slide until Monday. unless I feel like a super hero on Sunday and I can get a couple miles done.  Okay off to catch up on some threads and then back to bed. 

• Like 1

May the fourth be with you.   Getting sick under a vigorous workout cycle sucks.  You want to go, and it takes twice the motivation to move and you constantly wonder if you are healthy enough to get back out there or if you are just going cause a slide back into sickness.  Been there (alot).  Take care of yourself and then come back strong.

• Like 1

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Sounds like time is restless at the very least. Sorry to hear about you being sick, too. Sucks.

Questions:

1. What is it about doing both riding and running together? Is this something you want to be able to do indefinitely? Would alternating months be of any interest?

2. How do you feel about your family time? Does it feel like a good amount most weeks? Seems like it, but you know best, obviously.

3. Have you broken up your day/weeks on paper to see where the time is going? I think it could show you how your energy is spread throughout a certain time block; like how food shows us just how many calories and nutrients we have for a given task.

4. If you weren't worried about adding things into your week, how does each day feel? Are your days happy and productive enough to be satisfying for you? Does it feel like something's missing? If so, where does it fall on your important list?

5. Your important list: what are the top 4 MOST important things that you need/want to attend to within a certain time frame? Are they happening in a good way or are you feeling things slip that you don't want to have slip?

Okay, I got a bit carried away!  :nevreness:

Suffice it to say, I'm wondering where on your list and in your life is running and biking and family [assuming this is what you're talking about ["But in my head I worry about the time I am taking away]?

Okay, I'll hush up now. I hope this helps some. Not sure why I thought advising about time management would be something I could speak to!  :playful: 

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

I know what you mean about time conflicts. Running and writing are often in conflict for me, since if my only free time is after work I usually find I can only do one or the other on a given day. I also feel bad about doing anything isolationist in the evenings because that is also my time to spend with my hubby. I'm between jobs at the moment but I've been told to expect to work 6 or 7 days a week during my rookie period (the first year or two) at the new job once it starts. Not sure what's going to happen to my hobbies at that point.

Did you make it to camp this weekend, or were you too sick to go?

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

Been a crazy few days.  Still under the weather.  Ended up with the girls this Saturday.  Since they ended up camping at the leaders house 1/4 of a mile from mine I got to go home and crash in my own bed.  They basically had a sleepover in her finished basement.  I was there late since we did have things the girls were working on completing.  It was awesome but hard since I am feeling so cruddy.  

I was starting to feel better Saturday but by Saturday night I was dragging.  We did loads of hiking and playing outside.  Such a beautiful day overall.  My husband has been sicker longer so I am thinking that is keeping something in the house.  He is going to the doctors today.  Saturdays awesomeness caught up with me and Sunday I tanked.  Okay rested and rested some more.  In fact I did not ride to work today.  I have to run with my daughter this evening and I wanted to make sure I felt good enough to do that.  She wants to do a run/walk interval for the event.  Normally we just run until she wants to walk a bit and then we run as long as she wants.  Going to do the set interval with her for a time so she can decide if that is what she likes.  :)  I am simply happy she is getting out.  We thought about riding our bikes yesterday but she was so worn out from scouts that she was happy to enjoy a Star Wars marathon which leads to food.

Food has been going okay until yesterday.  I did not even try to remotely make dinner healthier in any way.  When Bossk Brownies and Yoda Soda was part of the menu...well I just enjoyed.  I was too tired and feeling ucky to care enough to try.  I am sure I could have added something healthy or improve a part of the meal somehow.

So I missed a couple workouts but I am going to run with kiddo this evening and jump into strength.  Tomorrow I am back on the bike for sure.  I have missed it.  I was optimistic about doing things this past weekend but as you have read I ended up having to measure out what I could do and still recover from this uck.

I am questioning if I will be able to get in the 100 mile bike ride in  by the end of the challenge (wow week 4 already!).  I may give myself one more week but we will see how strong I am feeling after my longer ride on Saturday.

Yesterday I was finally able to get back to it all.  Wow what a doozy of an illness.  However Wednesday evening my daughter came home from school sick.  So no sleep Wednesday night because she was feeling awful.  I love that kid but Thursday early morning (3:13am early) she woke me up excited because she finally slept for a couple hours.  I reminded her my alarm goes off at 4:10 then she asked for me to get up and go down stairs with her so she can use the restroom.  I was going to ride more Thursday because I can but was also really tired and spent the evening taking care of one sick young lady.  Husband is still dealing with some health thing.  Lots of testing and no answers yet.  Fun.

I have done strength training, finally got in a bike ride yesterday, 27 minutes of meditation to relieve stress in two sessions so far, and food has been great.  Spinach salads every day, fresh fruit, lean proteins, and wow I feel better.  We have been fortunate enough that the right things have been on sale.  Being sick and away from a computer so much means I have not been great at tracking what I have been eating here.

In store for today is about 20 miles on the bike and strength work.  This weekend I will get in another strength session, more riding, and finally some running!!!  With being sick and now kiddo sick we have missed many runs she was going to do.  Due to that and a couple other things we changed the 5k from the end of this month to one in July.  This way we can go in with her feeling more confident and strong.  She can also decide how she wants to run it....series of sprints (run/walk) or just run nonstop.  I think she is going to go with sprint intervals.

Being sick and then the daughter going down hill has made working out tough as far as priorities go.  Throw in concern for my spouse and I know what did not help me was that my anxiety in general was also really high (okay higher than it normally is for me, to be honest it is normally almost always present) which complicated it all even further.  

Tomorrow we have a scouting thing to do for a couple hours.  Even if she does not go I will have to attend.  Hoping she is good enough to go and I am hoping to get to see the new Avengers movie.  Sounds fun.

I am going to work on catching up on how everyone here is doing.

• Like 1