Phytomancer and The 9,999 Green Villains

Phytomancer

Congratulations on placing in the design competition! I'm curious - what did your team submit? (I'm always on the lookout for great environmental design ideas. I have this dream of turning my home into a permaculture showpiece...or at least incorporating some of the more affordable god ideas!)

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Excellent steady progress. Congratulations for placing in the competition!

Thanks, Xena!

Congratulations on placing in the design competition! I'm curious - what did your team submit? (I'm always on the lookout for great environmental design ideas. I have this dream of turning my home into a permaculture showpiece...or at least incorporating some of the more affordable god ideas!)

Thanks, ShadowLion. Our team submitted a University campus design, but if you are interested, we incorporated a lot of the idea of rain gardens and bioswales into the design. It's so cool that you want to make your house an environment showpiece! The recent ideas my university suggests include having nut trees, so that you can have something crunchy to eat as well... And the shades are nice.

Here is our project report. (I didn't do those absolutely stunning images, though. My teammates excel in those things. I mostly the number cruncher/booklet design guy)

Home environmental design sample from a pretty cool professional in Chicago is here... In case you want a rain project for your house. They even have a prairie in the front yard.

My ancient online blog about sustainability... Hasn't been updated since 2013 because translating/ making contents are too time-consuming, but there are some ideas about permaculture of North America here. Now I manage blog about children and nature for the class I grade... The content is already generated, and it's all in English. :P

• Like 3

This weekend is a lazy weekend. After handing in a big homework and have some free time, I have been catching up with some stuffs that I miss. Friends. Board games Video game. The exercise is here and there, but not as intense as I wish, and I also slipped.

Day 13: Saturday

Breakfast: Grapefruit banana

Lunch: Baked veggies with rice and pepper.

Dinner: Thai food with friends. No rice refill.

Exercise: 30 chin up

I planned to run, but ended up finishing adding citation to my paper and grading student's homework. Nothing was written.

Day14: Sunday

Breakfast: Leftover baked veggies

Lunch: Roommate's leftover potato salad, collard green smoothie

Dinner: Chinese feast with friends. One refill of rice. Try to fill up on veggies as much as possible.

We got ice cream afterward. It's the first dessert I paid for in a while. I thought, well, I must be peer-pressured to do it, but I saw a friend who decided not to have any ice cream, and I regretted my choice a bit. It's the 'I can't help but... moment, and I lost. What was done was done, and I enjoyed it because there are not going to be more sweets in a while.

Exercise: 80 push ups.

I edited some of my older Thai work and posted it online in a critic's website. It's nice to read something I have forgotten I have written and pat myself on the back. I also understood then why I didn't win any award with it. The writing was filled with typos and grammatical errors. I should have copy edited before I submit it for a very popular competition. 

Run: 0 mi ; cumulative 18.4/90 (I need to step up my game on running)

Chin up+Push up: 110 cumulative; 655/900

Chin up: 180/150

Push up: 150/150

Nothing was written this weekend. I was on editing mode, but maybe I'll write something creative tonight... Before Monday comes and I have to do academic things again.

• Like 2

Week 2 Conclusion

180px-BowserMP8.png

Bowser saw me as a friend, because I did the 300 body weight thing. And he agreed to go on my journey after that. 

I told him that Peach might be a bad influence in his weight problem... The girl always bake cakes. How could he stay in shape and be confident enough to approach girls if he keep eating an entire giant cakes the princess bakes?

He looked at me skeptically, pointed out that I had a not-so-small cup of ice cream with hard fudge on top as I said it. I felt kind of shamed, but we moved on.

• Like 4

Week 3 Mini Challenge: Maleficent's Castle

Well, after gaining trust from Sour Bill and Bowser, I stopped by and visited my lovely, lovely aunt. (I have 0.05% fairy tale villain heritage. Too bad that didn't fly when I applied for Financial Aid in college.)

This aunt, she has an ability to control plants and has a spot for wild, untamed looking gardens, not unlike myself. She has this rose garden surrounding her castle, and it seems to be in excellent health. It might need a little trimming, but that's too conventional.

Need I name her? She's kind of a celebrity around town recently. Although the actress that portrayed her looks way too kindhearted to capture her beauty.

Maleficent_from_Sleeping_Beauty.jpg

Look at her, laughing at my Thanksgiving joke about how swords are terrible for maintaining shrubs. Also, about this prank I learned from Beijing for pretending to be a Wyvern. I like her because she laughs at my jokes even when I am quite a prick.

hqdefault.jpg

These healthy roses are dormant for the season, but can you imagine how beautiful it is when everything just bursts into full bloom?

So, my aunt Maleficent knows the importance of beauty sleep more than anything (Ha!) She also knows the importance of exposure to nature. So here is the mini challenge of when I am staying over with Aunt Mally.

1. Track and make sure to sleep 7 hours a night.

Well duh. She wants you to sleep well-- and if you don't do it yourself, she might offer you some helping magic. I've seen that in action, and, uh. I'd rather not have her make me sleep.

2. Walk/Run in green outdoor 5 days this week.

Go outside and see nature everyday. Her garden is vast and expansive, she probably wants me to make sure there is no Prince sticking on the thorn somewhere. Blood acidity isn't good for the kind of roses she grow... it makes the roses, well, thirsty.  Also, it's a little exhausting keeping her entertained.

Maleficent13.jpg

Quite a belle of the ball, right?

• Like 5

Monday

Breakfast: Fruits

Lunch: Kale, blueberries, banana smoothies, fruits, a few bites from leftover pork

Dinner: Greek salad, potatoes

Workout: 3.6 mi run cumulative: 22/90

Chin up/ Pull up: 0 cumulative: 655/900

Writing: 290 words cumulative: 6042/9000

Sleep: 11pm-6am

Tuesday

Breakfast: Green tea

Lunch: Goat cheese Pizza with coworkers, fruits

Dinner: Stewed pork ribs, rice

Today, I worked out a bit in the morning, and a friend invited me out for the run again in the afternoon. It was a chance to hang out actively, so I said yes. Got another 2 mi run and 2 mile walk in.

I also finished my first 200 push up in a day for the first time after Hyperthyroidism took hold, while shedding man tears because of a very touching moment in 'Into The Woods.' Yes, sometimes my life is confusing that way.

Still has less motivation to get work done today, but I will try my best to finish everything on time!

Workout: 2 mi run+3.8 mi walk cumulative: 27.8/90

Chin up/ Pull up: 250 cumulative: 905/900

Writing: 103 words cumulative: 6145/9000

• Like 2

Love that sleep is your mini quest with Maleficient!  So creative!

Keep up the good work!

• Like 3

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

Love that sleep is your mini quest with Maleficient!  So creative!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'm not kidding about the plant power ;)

Wednesday

Sleep: 11pm-6am

Lunch: Leftover pork and mushroom, peanut sauce, fruits, so many fruits

Dinner: Blackberry, spinach, cucumber smoothies; ribs and potatoes

Workout: Walk in nature 1.8 mi cumulative: 29.6/90

Chin up/ Pull up: 170

Writing: 742 words cumulative: 6887/9000

Got a bit distract today for work. A few months earlier, a roommate who was my close friend said he needed space, and I was okay of stepping aside without understanding why. Things are under control in that we had a new equilibrium: we talk when others people are around. We don't when it's just us. We still share costs and responsibilities like good roommates, but we don't hang out. I found new friends to hang out with, and all was well.

Another roommate noticed this recently. (Ah, curse the observant roommate!) Yesterday, she gathered her courage asked me what was wrong. I explained it to her with objective mind... and I realized I still don't understand why.

Her questions kicked up my self doubts debris-- whether I was doing my best as a friend, maybe I am too annoying, too pesky, too inconsiderate, He was my close friend who never wanted anything from me. What did I do to make him slam the door in my face?

My logical brain said I did all I could. If he wanted to be away, it wasn't my fault. He's trying to finish his 7 year long grad school, and it might take a toll on him emotionally. He might just want to be alone, but my emotion side suspect more. He acts normal to other people, including the other roommate. I hate this because he is still one of the best roommates I've ever had. I also wonder if leaving him alone is the best choice. Am I giving him what he wants, but not what he needs?

I overthink like this sometimes, and it's not healthy at all.

• Like 1

My logical brain said I did all I could. If he wanted to be away, it wasn't my fault. He's trying to finish his 7 year long grad school, and it might take a toll on him emotionally. 

I suspect this may be a huge component. I'm trying to finish up my doctorate right now, and can attest to the mad stresses of grad school. I often feel like a basket case and don't want to spill my crazy on other people, so I try to leave them alone. I just tend to be a lot worse at leaving people alone than your roommate seems to be :-P

• Like 1

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

A New Beginning C1:  A Rough Start, b=But Still a Start

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 15 | DEX: 8 | STA: 12 | CON: 11 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 12

Week 3 Mini Challenge: Maleficent's Castle

Well, after gaining trust from Sour Bill and Bowser, I stopped by and visited my lovely, lovely aunt. (I have 0.05% fairy tale villain heritage. Too bad that didn't fly when I applied for Financial Aid in college.)

This aunt, she has an ability to control plants and has a spot for wild, untamed looking gardens, not unlike myself. She has this rose garden surrounding her castle, and it seems to be in excellent health. It might need a little trimming, but that's too conventional.

Need I name her? She's kind of a celebrity around town recently. Although the actress that portrayed her looks way too kindhearted to capture her beauty.

Maleficent_from_Sleeping_Beauty.jpg

Look at her, laughing at my Thanksgiving joke about how swords are terrible for maintaining shrubs. Also, about this prank I learned from Beijing for pretending to be a Wyvern. I like her because she laughs at my jokes even when I am quite a prick.

hqdefault.jpg

These healthy roses are dormant for the season, but can you imagine how beautiful it is when everything just bursts into full bloom?

So, my aunt Maleficent knows the importance of beauty sleep more than anything (Ha!) She also knows the importance of exposure to nature. So here is the mini challenge of when I am staying over with Aunt Mally.

1. Track and make sure to sleep 7 hours a night.

Well duh. She wants you to sleep well-- and if you don't do it yourself, she might offer you some helping magic. I've seen that in action, and, uh. I'd rather not have her make me sleep.

2. Walk/Run in green outdoor 5 days this week.

Go outside and see nature everyday. Her garden is vast and expansive, she probably wants me to make sure there is no Prince sticking on the thorn somewhere. Blood acidity isn't good for the kind of roses she grow... it makes the roses, well, thirsty.  Also, it's a little exhausting keeping her entertained.

Maleficent13.jpg

Quite a belle of the ball, right?

Awesome. Your family and friends are quite impressive, and you are doing well!

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

My logical brain said I did all I could. If he wanted to be away, it wasn't my fault. He's trying to finish his 7 year long grad school, and it might take a toll on him emotionally. He might just want to be alone, but my emotion side suspect more. He acts normal to other people, including the other roommate. I hate this because he is still one of the best roommates I've ever had. I also wonder if leaving him alone is the best choice. Am I giving him what he wants, but not what he needs?

I overthink like this sometimes, and it's not healthy at all.

It might be because you were close that he feels it's okay to ask you for space, when he doesn't trust others will understand. My husband puts on a brave face and socializes, but is an introvert. Sometimes I feel hurt, that he's willing to really put in the effort socially for acquaintances, but not for me (I'm extroverted to the max, sometimes). but I am growing to trust that it's the fact that I am his wife that makes him believe I'll be there when he can handle people again.

I know it's not the exact same thing, but this may be a big compliment. I dunno. 

• Like 3

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

I suspect this may be a huge component. I'm trying to finish up my doctorate right now, and can attest to the mad stresses of grad school. I often feel like a basket case and don't want to spill my crazy on other people, so I try to leave them alone. I just tend to be a lot worse at leaving people alone than your roommate seems to be :-P

Haha. Sovellis, hats off to you. I am still at the beginning of my doctorate, and even though my mind thought I handle well, my body went crazy for a bit. (I have hyperthyroid now because of the third semester in my PhD program.) That's why my logical side understands that this maybe just my roommate trying to hear himself think

• Like 2

Awesome. Your family and friends are quite impressive, and you are doing well!

Thanks! They are all imaginary :P

It might be because you were close that he feels it's okay to ask you for space, when he doesn't trust others will understand. My husband puts on a brave face and socializes, but is an introvert. Sometimes I feel hurt, that he's willing to really put in the effort socially for acquaintances, but not for me (I'm extroverted to the max, sometimes). but I am growing to trust that it's the fact that I am his wife that makes him believe I'll be there when he can handle people again.

I know it's not the exact same thing, but this may be a big compliment. I dunno. 

I hope so. Thank you for giving the perspective. I feel a bit selfish that I took this personally, but I think at the end, it's his business and it's for his success. I am definitely fine to give him some space. This really helps cheer me up!

Update is to come.

• Like 1

Thursday

Sleep: 11.30 pm-6am

Aunt Mally started sniffing around a bit, and asked me why my bed was a little less warm than usual...

Lunch: Leftover ribs and potato. Spinach, cilantro, lime, cucumber smoothies

Snack: Peanuts

Dinner: Bacon burger with no cheese, salad bar with lots of greens

Workout: Walk in nature 4 mi cumulative: 33.6/90

Chin up/ Pull up: 40

Writing: 198 words cumulative: 7085/9000

Yesterday was really cold for a run, and my running buddy sprain his Achilles tendon, so we walked and hobble instead. 

• Like 1

YAY!! You finished the BW challenge! Congrats :-) I'm pretty sure you will keep going, but I bet it's nice to have one knocked out of the park.

With your roommate, I don't think it's selfish to feel a little hurt and confused. He has chosen not to really explain what triggered his request, and I don't think you have developed super mind-reading powers yet. Maybe he'll open up more down the line. You are being very considerate and supportive in giving him the space he asks for.

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

YAY!! You finished the BW challenge! Congrats :-) I'm pretty sure you will keep going, but I bet it's nice to have one knocked out of the park.

With your roommate, I don't think it's selfish to feel a little hurt and confused. He has chosen not to really explain what triggered his request, and I don't think you have developed super mind-reading problems yet. Maybe he'll open up more down the line. You are being very considerate and supportive in giving him the support he asks for.

Thanks, Xena! It feels really good to hear that. I think I'll be okay.

The semester is almost over. I just need to whip up a statistics paper within 5 days, and I'll be done. It's really likely I will have to retake the class, but it's no big deal. Shifts happened. Some of my brain fell through the cracks, but it's now functional enough to be reasonable and accept my defeat. I'll begin again.

Friday

Sleep: 12.00 am-7am

Slept in a bit because the professor was giving a keynote speech somewhere in the Northeast where the storm hits.

Lunch: Leftover ribs and potato. Spinach, cilantro, lime, cucumber smoothies

Snack: Pecans

Dinner: Japanese noodles with mushrooms, corn, and seaweed

Workout: Walk in nature 1.8 mi cumulative: 35.4/90

Chin up/ Pull up: 0

Writing: 0 words cumulative: 7085/9000

It was a slow day... I just tried to work on statistics, got frustrated, and then I went to criticize students' final projects. By the end of 16 designs and 6 project exhibitions later, My brain was fried. I just curled up on the sofa and watched my friend play Broken Age II until I fell asleep. Not much work was done.

• Like 1

Saturday

Sleep: 12.00 am-7.30am

Woke up and get ready to talk to my parents, and I realized they moved it to Sunday.

Breakfast: Fruits, dinner's leftover

Lunch: Open faced turkey and bree sandwich, greens

Snack: sweet bread *Curse!*

Dinner: Roasted Turkey, vegetable soup, rice, mangoes (My roommate got antsy about something and he made a four course meal-- invited everyone he knew over. It was really cool, though, and really delicious.)

I also got antsy for stat homework and decided to start a creative writing project in Thai instead. Before I knew it, I whipped out 4,737 words of writing and had a lot of fun... maybe at the inappropriate time?

Here is what it is about.

The gods are getting bored. So they made a reality show out of human subjects. 4 Heaven gatekeepers chose 4 representatives of them those had been dead on the inside to give a chance for a new life. The winner would their personal, impossible wish fulfilled. The rest, well, they got to participate.

So these people, they were urged by mysterious voices to pack up and go to a tiny little town in Georgia and fulfill certain requirements (raise money, get healthier, help as many people as possible in a limited time, etc.) And they will be judged by the Purest of the Hearts, who they also had to find.

One of them wished to talk to their father one more time. (Their father went to war and never returned)

One of them wished their heart to return. (Their loved one flew onto a missing airplane)

One of them wished their deaf mother to hear their music. (The mother's deaf by the accident that killed the father)

One of them wished to never let go of a friend's hand. (Their friend was shot in a violent protest)

I know it might be filled with cliches and cheap drama, lots of dying in the back story, but I had a lot of fun, and I'd try to see it true this time.

Workout: Walk in nature 1.8 mi cumulative: 37.2/90

Chin up/ Pull up: 0 (Still got some done on Sunday though)

Writing: 4,737 words cumulative: 9000+/9000

• Like 3

You are rocking this challenge :-)   Completing one goal by the end of week 3!   Your design project looks great too.

Hope your roommate doesn't need so much space soon.  You're a good friend and roomie for helping but agreeing that it would have been nice of him to explain a bit more.  Would be more of a friend that way.

• Like 4

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Thanks, Xena!

Thanks, ShadowLion. Our team submitted a University campus design, but if you are interested, we incorporated a lot of the idea of rain gardens and bioswales into the design. It's so cool that you want to make your house an environment showpiece! The recent ideas my university suggests include having nut trees, so that you can have something crunchy to eat as well... And the shades are nice.

Here is our project report. (I didn't do those absolutely stunning images, though. My teammates excel in those things. I mostly the number cruncher/booklet design guy)

Home environmental design sample from a pretty cool professional in Chicago is here... In case you want a rain project for your house. They even have a prairie in the front yard.

My ancient online blog about sustainability... Hasn't been updated since 2013 because translating/ making contents are too time-consuming, but there are some ideas about permaculture of North America here. Now I manage blog about children and nature for the class I grade... The content is already generated, and it's all in English. :tongue:

Wow! Thanks for the links. I finally got some time to look at them and they are awesome! Lots of great ideas.

I have an acre in northern Arizona near Flagstaff which is ponderosa pine forest, fairly dry with the current drought, and it is the kind of place where swales and rainwater collection would work well. I have to have water hauled since I don't have a well, so there is a cistern already as part of the system. Got ideas for a second cistern for grey water storage. It's at 7,000 feet and gets very cold in the winter, so above ground storage is not an option.

I think it is super cool that you are working in that field. What you are doing is really important and worthwhile work that I hope has a major impact on people's thinking about design and environmental impacts.

Glad to see you continuing to rock your challenge. Sorry to hear about statistics and your roommate, but I think your attitude is really good. Give it all time. It sounds like your roommate may just need to really pull in and focus on his work for awhile.

Onto Week Four! Go, Green!

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Wow! Thanks for the links. I finally got some time to look at them and they are awesome! Lots of great ideas.

I have an acre in northern Arizona near Flagstaff which is ponderosa pine forest, fairly dry with the current drought, and it is the kind of place where swales and rainwater collection would work well. I have to have water hauled since I don't have a well, so there is a cistern already as part of the system. Got ideas for a second cistern for grey water storage. It's at 7,000 feet and gets very cold in the winter, so above ground storage is not an option.

I think it is super cool that you are working in that field. What you are doing is really important and worthwhile work that I hope has a major impact on people's thinking about design and environmental impacts.

Glad to see you continuing to rock your challenge. Sorry to hear about statistics and your roommate, but I think your attitude is really good. Give it all time. It sounds like your roommate may just need to really pull in and focus on his work for awhile.

Onto Week Four! Go, Green!

Hey, sorry I haven't replied for a long time. Statistics are so cruel to me. It seems that you are doing a lot to help the nature yourself. Freezing can be tough, but if you dig a bit deeper, the temperature changes much slower than the topsoil. I remember when I took a soil science class, we had this hollow 5 foot pole that we stabbed in the ground and twisted to collect soil samples. It was September, but the lowest foot was still chilled like it came from a fridge.

Even though it seems I haven't been updating, I have been tracking things I wrote, ate, and did. It wasn't a lot, but I had some.

Onto the record of week 3 wrap up and week 4!!

• Like 1

Sunday (Week 3)

Sleep: 1.00 am-7.30am

Lunch: Fresh cilantro, Turkey on rice

Dinner: Roasted Turkey, vegetable soup, rice, mangoes (Leftovers)

Workout: Walk in nature 2 mi (to the grocery) cumulative: 29.2/90

Chin up/ Pull up: 200 push ups 50 pull ups

Writing: 1,670 words (Thai)

Week 3 Conclusions

Diablo_Disney_Official.jpg

Aunt Mally was happy that I walked a lot in nature, but she wasn't fond of my sleeping pattern. She commanded her crow to accompany me to the next stop, along with some rose seeds, but also reminded me that if I slipped and don't sleep enough, she might be coming after me again.

• Like 1

Week 4: Academian

(Notice that everything is in past tense; This is more of a journal that I reflect upon than a progress update.)

6a217137-c383-4641-8f84-05833a9413ac.jpg

I left Aunt Mally's palace feeling a little miffed. She refused to help me. All because I didn't sleep 7 hours a night for a few nights! What a mean aunt. I must drop this scared sword somewhere the fairy godmothers could get it. 

Anyway, I traveled along, and came across this place called Academia. It was a crazy, crazy land where people worship letters and papers more than anything, it is quite interesting to study its culture.

The villain this time, I didn't like her so much. Her name is Statisticia... She didn't even have a face. Just graphs. She didn't talk-- she sent out 'results.' We had to have her worshiper, 'statisticians' translate what she said at all time.

tumblr_ltxt5t64ZI1qh4rzpo1_500.jpg

The thing is, without Statisticia, I can't influence them to worship my shrines and temples. So I had to bow to her will and start learning her ways.

Extra challenge: Finish statistics paper and proposal.

• Like 4

Food:

Monday

Lunch: Green smoothies, bananas

Dinner: Corn soup, left over turkey

Tuesday

Lunch: Pizza and empanadas

Dinner: Turkey soup with noodels

Wednesday

Tofu salad with seitan,
Snack: Cinnamon roll

Dinner: Cilantro, cucumber, kale, lime smoothie

Thursday

Lunch: Japanese Curry, rice

Dinner: Vegan bash! A professor had a vegan party at his house. Ate two full plates of veggie pizza and veggies in general. I made Pad Thai after not cooking for a long time. It feels good to cook for someone!

Friday

Lunch: Beef sandwich, tuna with sprouts

Dinner: BBQ cook out. Korean shaved ice

Saturday

Lunch: Pad Thai styled fried rice

Dinner: I taught a friend how to cook baked chicken and fried collard greens with brown rice, fruits.

I ate a lot of snacks and sugar, but that kept my willpower up enough to finish the papers. I wonder if I was just an addict that are latched to the reason to keep consuming bakery, or if the struggle real... But I really did notice that I concentrate better after eating sugary food.

Events:

Most of the week included trying to get the papers done. I learned that the paper that I worked hard for and created 25 pages of content had a maximum requirement of 12 pages, and I had to remake them. Also stat finals. I finished it, talked to the professor, and realized I made one wrong assumption that made me redo everything. It's the week of repetition, but I understood things so much better. Also some grading.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

A lot had gone on this week. I had sung publicly at a senior facility as a guest entertainer (part of a music class), it was so much fun!

I sang 'Thinking Out Loud' by Ed Sheeran. That's a very suitable choice of song by my instructor. :P

My friends notice that I regained my arm, shoulder, and back muscles back, but I also notice that things those were gone, like my belly, spilling over my belt. The doctor said that my thyroid level is lower than usual now-- and I should reduce the medicine or I will fall into Hypothyroidism. Not a great news.

Also, the 30 min writing of this week. The keyword was : Pushy Musician

“Hey, listen.†Nadhya said. The electric blue and white stripes of her hair glowed eerily purple in the black light of a bar. So did her bra, pushing out against really thin black t-shirt. The glow made her chest look like a giant, luminous, trapped butterfly.  â€œHey, listen. Hey, hey, hey, are you listening?â€

Lincoln Ahmed rolled his eyes. “Yes. Yes, Nadhya. I am listening.â€

“You’re not looking at my face.â€

He looked at her face.

“I want you to write lyrics to a new song.â€

“Again? It wasn’t a hit last time.â€

“The music is good, but the lyrics aren’t catchy. There was no hook.†She said, moving really close to him. With her six inch pumps, Lincoln swore the butterfly was fluttering a couple inches off his face. The drummer was off to look at some boys somewhere. There sure wasn’t many to find, but he’d make the best of it.  

Lincoln scratched his beard and looked up to Nadhya’s chin.

“Why aren’t you trying to write your own lyrics? I’m a violinist. I do my part. You sing. Write your own shit.â€

“Yours are deeper...â€

“...Too deep you/I see Ade*e rolling in it.†They said in unison. Lincoln continued, “Gosh, it’s like you repeat the same thing over and over again and expect me to hear something different.â€

“There are always new things to hear in the old songs†Nadhya said. She finally pulled up a stool and listened.

“You know, maybe I am not a lyricist for the generation. You should find someone younger, more in touch-- maybe just--â€

“Hey, listen!†She whispered in a hushed tone, and they heard the bar music, a playful, sinful, talented fiddleplay.

“The Devil Comes Down to Georgia,†Lincoln closed his eyes, “I love this song.†  

“Hey, listen again. This is the sequel one.â€

“There’s a sequel?â€

Johnny Cash’s fiddle part was different from the original. It was more melodic. Slower and more earthy. Then it accelerated into something strong, then amazing, then heavenly. Lincoln opened his eyes. He opened his ears, and he heard the Devil’s struggling in the power against Johnny boy, the best there ever was.

“Listen, maybe you should write a love song.†Nadhya said softly once the song was over. “I’m sure it’d be a hit?â€

“Me?†Lincoln chuckled, “I’m the last guy who would write a love song. Heck, I know nothing about love.â€

“Love is everywhere.†Nadhya said, in a lower tone that didn’t sound like her at all. “You just have to listen.â€

“What kind of a love song would you like to sing?†He asked her, looking at her carefully made up eyes. They were pretty. The silver eyeliners sure made them luminous as well. It was like he could not look anywhere in the dark and not see her glowing.

“I don’t know-- something different. One sided love?â€

“But that’s pretty overused.â€

“Not if you write about how you fall in love with an idiot who didn’t know even all the signs you’ve been dropping?â€

“That’s hard.†Lincoln hummed a progression. “How was this?â€

She didn’t ask him to listen. She was listening to him, now. Her lips slightly parted. Her eyes closed. And he hummed some more.

“Open your ears, not your eyes,†Lincoln’s hummed, in his ragged voice, the lyrics that he tried to come up with, “open up your heart, and you’d know why… You’ve just got to…â€

“Listen.†Nadhya hummed, in unison with him. “Hey-- that’s not bad!â€

“I love you from the depth of my mind,†he continued, “and I don’t care even love is blind-- you just,â€

“Listen.†She sang with him again, soft and low. It sounded different somehow. It was not powerful or emotional. It was vulnerable.

“Hey, I like your take on this song,†Lincoln commented.

“Are you really listening?†She asked, slowly opened her eyes. It was hard to tell in the dark, but was she, disappointed?

“To you? Of course, I just said--â€

“Oh, forget it.†She said, and she jumped over from her stool. Her nails dug into his shoulder, and her tongue into his mouth.
    “Oh,†he said, breathily, when he had a chance to breath, “Oh…â€

“You,†she said, breathily, when she had a chance to breath, “are a bad listener for a musician. Anybody tell you that?â€

“Sorry-- I--â€

“Just listen!†She grabbed the back of his jeans, and Lincoln Ahmed, realized that a violinist could be kind of deaf to some music.  

Exercise

Monday: 4 mi of walking from and to class

Tuesday: 2 mi of running 1 mi of walking

Wednesday: 200 push ups, 50 pull ups

Thursday: Nothing

Friday: 30 pull ups, 40 push ups, 2 mi of walking

Saturday: Nothing 

One more day and I can complete week 4!

• Like 1

Week 4: Academian

(Notice that everything is in past tense; This is more of a journal that I reflect upon than a progress update.)

6a217137-c383-4641-8f84-05833a9413ac.jpg

I left Aunt Mally's palace feeling a little miffed. She refused to help me. All because I didn't sleep 7 hours a night for a few nights! What a mean aunt. I must drop this scared sword somewhere the fairy godmothers could get it. 

Anyway, I traveled along, and came across this place called Academia. It was a crazy, crazy land where people worship letters and papers more than anything, it is quite interesting to study its culture.

The villain this time, I didn't like her so much. Her name is Statisticia... She didn't even have a face. Just graphs. She didn't talk-- she sent out 'results.' We had to have her worshiper, 'statisticians' translate what she said at all time.

tumblr_ltxt5t64ZI1qh4rzpo1_500.jpg

The thing is, without Statisticia, I can't influence them to worship my shrines and temples. So I had to bow to her will and start learning her ways.

Extra challenge: Finish statistics paper and proposal.

funny-graphs-all-day.gif

• Like 2