Ray Ray gonna run a while

raymith

Hi I'm Ray, last time I failed up my warrior challenge, set back mostly by some shoulder bursitus (sp?) and well I have some distance running to do and figure this would be an awesome place to set up camp. See what I can learn from the long runners. 

Little about me, I've always been an active sort, I've been actively going to the gym and doing a lot of moving. Unfortunately I've also always been an active eater as well. So just getting the diet to match the work out is always to main part. 

My Challenges 

Main Challenge: 

I want to be able to run a 5k on the treadmill, at 5% incline, in my lunch break at work without making me useless for the remainder of my work day. 

Lunch break is one hour, usually about 10 minutes each way and a little time for a cool down, so I guess I will try to shoot for a 35 minute 5k run. If I can reach it early I will shoot for the 5k at a higher incline

first subbie: 

research and figure out the best way to help me reach an ideal way to eat healthy to fuel for endurance running, but still eat few enough calories that I can try to quickly lose a bunch of weight to make life easier on my joints.

Thinking quinoa, and possibly eye balling fasted cardio/

second subbie:

start working my way back into strength building exercises, up to 3 days a week. Shoulder injury sidelined me a little and even though I want to be able to run a marathon I still want to build up some strength because I'm a bro like that. 

Third subbie: 

Super mini duoatholon: pretty sure I made that up, but no pool at my gym, so I want to try up a 5 mile run at 5% incline run at the gym then a 20 mile bike ride, and finish it before a movie, Thinking kung pow, or serenity, or whatever else I can get onto my tablet that isn't lord of the rings long (feels like cheating to me) 

Life goal. 

Get stuff my YouTube channel. I kind of have I guess you can call it a bit of an entertainer streak, I used to be in a band and I had an excellent outlet to get out some ideas and get that out of me. I've been meaning forever to get some fun content onto a youtube channel that people may enjoy, also try to make some extra little income too would be nice :P

• Like 3

Hitting up a blogger for my journey to make a hot sexy body for my hot sexy red shirt 

http://raystightshirt.blogspot.com/

Failure is an option, sometimes it's the only option. Giving up, that isn't an option

Nice scouty goals :)  People run all different speeds on all types of diets (vegan, fast food, low carb, low fat, etc).  If you look at running a 5k, it is 84% aerobic (fat burning) and 16% anaerobic (carb/ATP burning).  So doing fasted cardio like you mentioned will definitely help train the larger aerobic portion.  But when you are trying to clock a fast 5k, you should have some carbs in the system too.  And with the strength training you it will have some carry over into the anaerobic part of your running (though you may get some benefit from sprints or intervals so your body can get used to running faster).  I saw the movie Serenity a few weeks back, definitely a good choice for a super mini duoatholon.

I took a peak at your previous challenge and love those pizzas.  I used to be a pizzaholic checking out the different pizzerias, making my own doughs and sauces and about half my diet was pizza.  I used to make heart shape pizzas too :)

• Like 2

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

You can use quinoa to make a pizza crust.  We love it.  Tried a recipe that used cauliflower.  Tasted great but did not hold up basically it was a knife and fork pizza.  What fun is that.  From what I have learned in general is that you can train to run vegan or low carb or whatever.  Your body will adapt if you are consistent so what B said above.

This all sounds absolutely awesome.  So you may need to share that youtube channel link.  ;)

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

With the pizza crust I had to use white flour to keep it together, but I try to use as little as possible otherwise i had troubles getting traditional binders to work. It also tastes a lot better if you grind down the quinoa and oats.

I was thinking of doing some fitness stuff too on the you tubes, but since I've started hyping it I guess I best deliver.

Hitting up a blogger for my journey to make a hot sexy body for my hot sexy red shirt 

Failure is an option, sometimes it's the only option. Giving up, that isn't an option

Welcome, man. Great to have you here. I like the goals and I'm truly impressed that you are honest enough not to cheat with LotR! haha

We're doing an interim challenge that is about defining habits and goals so maybe something will spark for you around the food ideas. And definitely ask around, we have a lot of different diets in the Scout Guild.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

I'm excited to start today. I did a good round of elliptical cardio and may do another tonight. Trying to start off strong this challenge.

Getting back to pushing strength may have to wait a few weeks, Friday at work I had a huge scary moments where I had some extreme pain, and the ends of my arms forgot how to hand. I'll be trying to go back to rehab strength all while trying to get out of working in a mechanic shop.

That being what it is I can still push myself cardio wise.

Also setting up to start recording for my YouTube channel. Gonna do my best to entertain some folk.

• Like 1

Sorry about the nerve? issues in your arms and hands. Sucky.

Totally looking forward to the YouTube stuff. That is if you're sharing.

Have a fantastic week 1.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Love how you are adapting to the situation.  Stinks about the pain but you are not stopping.  Awesome.

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Seen doctor today and got a prescription for some bad ass ibuprofen, so far it's worked wonders in just half a day.

Been doing zombie run app while on treadmill, other day in 40 minutes I did 2 and 3/4 miles at 5% incline, proud of that.

Today I just did 2.2 miles in a half hour then migrate

d to the bikes. At a mile in 5 minutes at 5 resistance.

Today I also decided that since I've sucked eggs on my diet and failed I need to strict diet and took away my may cheat day privileges.

Also have a week plus 2 days to be ready for a mud run. Right now I'm the lightest I've been in about 6 years and in the best shape since my early 20s, not where I want to be yet but I think I'm ready.

• Like 1

Starting the diet this morning, gotta be strict, I know I can be. Yesterday I did a final weigh in for a challenge I was a part of and I nearly doubled the amount of crunches I can do in 1 minute. My squats were maxed out already (50 in less than 2 minutes) my pushups were decreased by 8 in a minute ( shoulder injury) but my chin ups went from 0 to 2.

But the thing that had me happy about all that was that I wasn't in pain after the chin ups and pull ups. So I feel like I cab ease back into weights. Thinking 3 days a week.

Today I'm gonna do cardio and a few grip strength exercises. For cardio I'm going to see if I can do a 5k run at 5% incline then ride 10 miles, see how long that takes me.

• Like 2

Sounds like things are really moving a long for you.  No pain is a definite win and 0 to 2 chin ups....awesome.  That cardio sounds great.  How did it go?

• Like 1

I tried some good cardio on Saturday and didn't quite get the results I wanted. I biked 5 miles and ran 2 and did some elliptical all within an hour 10, but the whole time my legs were all "you did 50 squats yesterday, I'm not sure if I'm decided on if I'm gonna be sore yet."

Sunday they were.

Today I'm going to spend some time as runner 5 at lunch (zombie run app) with chicken breast for lunch.

• Like 1

I did my mud run today and I thought I did really well, was about an hour 15 for 5k, I know that doesn't sound good, but with obstacles, and also that due to heavy rain last night there was no hard ground to walk on, so that was 3 miles of when I wasn't knee deep or deeper in water I was sinking in mud, but I actually grew to appreciate the mud once I hit the silt, I actually ended up using my Canadian instincts and started skating the silt. In the end though I had a lot of fun, and the only obstacle I didn't nail was the monkey bars, hard to get a grip, wah wah whatever excuses :P. I was able to jog most of the way and still had enough at the end for a sprint. 

On my lunch breaks when I do cardio I am sitting a bit over 2 miles most breaks which is good so far. I did a light upper body work out this week too, I will be doing 2 this week and getting back into that groove, and also making a big attempt at straightening out my diet this week. 

Tomorrow on my youtubes channel I was going to record and upload a weekly challenge, I got a couple people that will be helping with the channel and we will be known as #teambabymask. But at first every sunday I was thinking upload a challenge, still trying to figure out exactly what to call it, but I'll get that by tomorrow. 

This evening I also have a chance to breathe and I think I'm gonna go ahead and finally take the time to creep everyone else's challenges, I've been able to creep a couple here and there but feel selfish because I haven't had much chance to contribute much cheering.

• Like 1

OK yesterday I did 160 squats in a 1 2 3 challenge combined with my mudrun on sunday, my legs have crossed the river Styx.

I didn't get any videos uploaded because I wasn't satisfied with it, but I do need to get my ass in gear.

Today I'm still going to the gym, but gonna keep it light, probably do some light cardio or light chest and shoulders.

• Like 2

ok so kind of really late on this :( life got busy and never had much chance to wonder on back here. I kind of failed this challenge :( good thing though my shoulder all healed up. 

ok so kind of really late on this :( life got busy and never had much chance to wonder on back here. I kind of failed this challenge :( good thing though my shoulder all healed up.

It's all good.

I'm glad your shoulder is healed up!

Come on over to the new mini and Tavern.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way