There is neither darkness, nor light;

There is only the Force.

There is passion, yet peace.

Serenity, yet emotion.

Chaos, yet order.

I am the shadow cast by the sun,

I am the candle burning in the night,

And the Force alone shall guide me.

A Gray Jedi walks on both the Dark Side and the Light. I walked in the darkness for a time. Now it's time to come back to the light.

A chunin (in the fanon) doesn't have a lot of explanation. The role is described as being, and I paraphrase, good enough to teach and lead whilst learning and being led. As I don't feel I can teach or lead well by word alone, I must stand in the sun, stark and simple, and cast my shadow as far as I can.

The overarching theme of this challenge is to keep things simple. I am fighting the urge to complicate everything. I seek, as Bruce Lee put it, the daily decrease, the elegance of doing little and reaping much.

It'll take longer than six weeks to be sure, but as the overall epic goal is to Know Myself, I think this is the next step. I started off with goals of spiritual discipline, and then moved on to attempting to apply those (and boy, did I get a lot of opportunities to apply those). Now it's time to build something again. Or to tear it down, as the case may be.

Goal 1: Write

Camp NaNoWriMo is in full swing, and I let myself get fooled into thinking I'm gonna do something productive with it. I need to take that lie and make it true. 15000 words at the end of the month - quality words, too. Should be feasible, because I've finally given myself the permission to not be identified by how original my thoughts are. It might just turn out to be thinly-veiled fanfic, but so what? That's most pop-lit anyway.

Goal 2: Log

Reads like a cop-out unless you've watched me long enough to know that I'm prone to jumping ship at the first sign of not getting what I want. The point of this goal isn't to log. I do that already. The point is to keep myself to what I'm doing, and to have the accountability to stick to the damn program. Which I like. And have no reason to change. Yet. This goal is to carry me to the end of the month, at which point, I will reassess and adjust as necessary, and then carry on to the end of the Challenge.

Goal 3: Read A Praying Life

So, I gotta admit, most of the religious stuff I read about cultivating discipline doesn't really appeal to me. It doesn't seem honest on a fundamental level - it doesn't acknowledge that a disciplined life is hard. It tacitly blames you for the lack and just seems to think that if you just say this formula and do this thing that you'll have an easy life.

This is not the truth. Not even remotely.

Fortunately, I've read this book before, and I know that it has good in it. It's a hard read, but an honest one, and I can stomach the difficulty because of it. One chapter a week.

And if that makes you uncomfortable, you can think of it as me tuning myself to the Force. It works. :)

Goal 4: 20g of Fiber per Day

So, in my calculations and such, I've noticed that I tend to go really low in my fiber intake. It's not really bothered me before, but for all the probiotics I eat and such, I don't seem to see much benefit. I want to fix that. But I also know that if I go too far too fast, my body will react... poorly.

So, goal this challenge is to ingest at 20g per day for the rest of the challenge. We can upgrade that further later. Means lots of veggies and some gluten-free psyllium I managed to score. Should be... cleansing.

And, that's it. You'd think I'd have more Karate-flavored stuff in here, but until sensei gets back to me about getting in to build, there's not much to do there but keep on practicing with the processes I've got in place.

Set it on fire, Monks.

• Like 6

Wow, when I said I was gonna follow you from the get go this time, I didn't think I'd be THIS quick to the party.     Chunin?  :D  YEESSSSSS!

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

giphy.gif

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

I meant it when I said I can. not. wait. I LITERALLY CAN NOT WAIT for this challenge.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Wow, when I said I was gonna follow you from the get go this time, I didn't think I'd be THIS quick to the party.     Chunin?  :D  YEESSSSSS!

You were not kidding, were you?

Though, I'm kind of wondering if I should take up watching that series so I could actually hit up some Naruto gifs that would make sense for this...

Reminds me of The Destroyer from Thor.  Only with lightsabers. Which is awesome.  

Yes, and also, lack of Loki.

giphy.gif

hi-gif.gif

I meant it when I said I can. not. wait. I LITERALLY CAN NOT WAIT for this challenge.

Well! Let's see what I can do with this one, then.

So, gonna get a jump on the whole Logging thing.

Woke up this morning ahead of the alarm. Decided that I had a fever, and my only cure was MOAR KETTLEBELL.

WarmUp

2HKB Swings: 3x6x35

TGUs: 1x5/side

Skipped cooldown because I ran out of time. Worked all day. Trained a girl. Did awesome. Came through in the clutch when a Girl Scout troop came in to learn about baking and requested 12 smoothies at once. Went to make those only to immediately be commandeered to lift a heavy thing. Which I did. And then went back and made all the smoothies in record time. True story - nobody had ever tried to do four smoothie's worth of mix in our blenders before. I played fast and loose with procedure... and it paid off.

"Wow, boss, I was vital today!"

"[Kishi], you're vital every day!"

"Yeah, but it's almost never this concrete!"

After that, strength work.

WarmUp

Prisoner Squats: 5x5x9s

Pike Press: 5x5x5s

Straight Bridge Holds: 5x50s

5 Minutes HS practice

Flat Knee Raises: 3x10+7 (meaning I attempted a fourth set but got 7 reps)

CoolDown

Think I'mma cut back on plank work and such and just focus on using this one move. Do it well enough and it should accomplish my purposes.

And, yeah.

Got a sweet day off tomorrow. Phew. I need it. Managed to clock 40 working hours in the week last week. And 6 minutes of overtime. BOOM.

• Like 5

Shall a Sith join, as well?  

Well, he's a Gray Jedi and I'm rogue at best, so assuming you don't go Force Lightning-ing anyone or trying to tempt them to the Dark Side (unless you have cookies!), we could probably let you stick around. =)

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

The role is described as being, and I paraphrase, good enough to teach and lead whilst learning and being led.

Oh, so you're saying he's the New Blackbelt of the group.  Nifty.

Oh, and I'll beat you with a stick if you stop logging.  Just, you know, letting you know.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

The Jedi must stand together. So I'll be sticking around. =)

Shall a Sith join, as well?  

Well, he's a Gray Jedi and I'm rogue at best, so assuming you don't go Force Lightning-ing anyone or trying to tempt them to the Dark Side (unless you have cookies!), we could probably let you stick around. =)

As for me, I'm as Gray as a stormcloud. I should find a way to unleash the lightning.

no, seriously, I should retool these things so they theme properly.

Oh, so you're saying he's the New Blackbelt of the group.  Nifty.

Oh, and I'll beat you with a stick if you stop logging.  Just, you know, letting you know.

That's what they say. I guess it's kind of presumptuous of me. God, what if my sensei ever heard of this?

Well, okay then, boss. I guess I'll keep on writing things.

YEAH, you show those Girl Scouts, Kishi! Enjoy the well-earned day off!

anigif_original-grid-image-16514-1384896

Hah, true story, I joked around and told everyone that the Girl Scouts were our new labor. They're excitable, work hard, and pay us in cookies.

• Like 1

Not much to report today. Did my swings, did my turkish get-ups. Tried to tack on ab work again, but that makes my left psoas start to grumble, so I'll probably edge off on that a bit. Besides, the get-ups work the abs enough.

Speaking of, I've managed two days in a row where I'm keeping my feet on the ground during the sit-up-to-elbow portion of the lift that I'm practicing. This is a Good Thing. It indicates increasing control over what my body's doing, which means strength. So, if I keep this up through the rest of the week, I'm thinking next week I can move on to the next portion where I get my hand under me.

• Like 1

Haha.  Nope.  No Force Lightning from me.  I prefer things that are a bit more subtle than that.  And cookies can be arranged.....

As for me, I'm as Gray as a stormcloud. I should find a way to unleash the lightning.

That seems like an awful depressing point of view.  :(  But maybe you could Ride the Lightning instead. 

Speaking of, I've managed two days in a row where I'm keeping my feet on the ground during the sit-up-to-elbow portion of the lift that I'm practicing. This is a Good Thing. It indicates increasing control over what my body's doing, which means strength. So, if I keep this up through the rest of the week, I'm thinking next week I can move on to the next portion where I get my hand under me.

Awesome!!!  I still struggle with that part of the Get-up sometimes.  That's a huge step forward Kishi!  Way to go! 

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Yay! More NaNoWriMo! I love when people (other than me) write.

More fiber! Yay! I'll try to limit the number of poop jokes. I swear.

But

Sorry, I have to:

67e7410f7534c011edf0c14dfd691430d90a6657

(I was going to hide it in a "spoilers" thing but I can't find how that works. :( Sorry. )

• Like 1

Haha.  Nope.  No Force Lightning from me.  I prefer things that are a bit more subtle than that.  And cookies can be arranged.....

That seems like an awful depressing point of view.   :(  But maybe you could Ride the Lightning instead. 

Awesome!!!  I still struggle with that part of the Get-up sometimes.  That's a huge step forward Kishi!  Way to go! 

I didn't mean to be depressing! I meant it in the sense of walking both paths and seeing good in both. That's all. Really. :) There's this one picture I keep seeing of a hooded man holding an empty hand and a dark hand, and that's what I tend to think about when I see Gray Jedi.

Thanks! I've been surprising others I talk to; they talk about going back to master the lift in stages, and I'm like, "... you didn't?"

Yay! More NaNoWriMo! I love when people (other than me) write.

More fiber! Yay! I'll try to limit the number of poop jokes. I swear.

But

Sorry, I have to:

67e7410f7534c011edf0c14dfd691430d90a6657

(I was going to hide it in a "spoilers" thing but I can't find how that works. :( Sorry. )

Oh, that's easy. Put 'spoilers' in a bracket, then close it like html, so

But yeah, have to admit, I felt kinda weird admitting I want more fiber in my diet. It just feels like a weird thing to want. But, there it is. And it's my challenge, so there. :P

T-minus four days and counting...

Spent my day at work and didn't get off until late. They have me making sammiches now. I have officially wandered into the Line Work... but that means more money down the line, so I'll take it. :)

Anyway, strength-trained today on deload, so it looked a little something like this.

Straight Hops: 4x3

Prisoner Squats: 5x5+14

Push Ups: 5x5+11

Pull Up Negatives: 5x5+2

5 minutes HS practice, resulting in 2x17s on the wall.

Front Knee Raises: 5x10

Good session. I figured the easiest deload was to remove the pauses, and then take the last set and just go to failure.

Also went and bought the stuff needed to construct a GHR apparatus after TeaKwonDo invited me to compete with her on it. I figure this can replace the Bridge work as the calisthenic deadlift alternative. And I even have some neat progressions to work with too.

So... yeah. Got a couple days off now. I'm really happy about this. Really, really happy.

• Like 5

Another day's training down.

S&S: 4/3

Also, decided to go ahead and go for a run again. Ish. More like a running walking thing, trying to keep my heartrate down low. Rugged Maniac's up in about a month or so and I think I'm going to take a stab at volunteering for it again.

The running stuff is just a placeholder for Karate at the moment, and even then, if/when the night opens up to be in the dojo, then that's it. That's what I do.

Beyond that, I spent most of my day helping out roommates with their troubles. A good thing, but time consuming.

Anyway, that's that.

• Like 2

That is an awesome picture of a Grey Jedi btw.  Ugh I hope the one I draw for you is at least half as good...okay maybe at least a 1/3...

2807025-8099292867-tumbl.gif

Nice challenge, it seems low key but reading your details definitely gives insight into how much of a challenge it is.  I have done NaNoWriMo once and I did complete it but it was tough to get through so good luck on Camp NaNo and on the 15,000 words!  Good luck on all of your challenge, including the fibering!

fiber-optics-palm-coast.jpg

(Every time I hear fiber I always think of these instead...)

As always, I'm watching you!!

tumblr_inline_mny3jbJldS1qdgykm.gif

• Like 2

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

That is an awesome picture of a Grey Jedi btw.  Ugh I hope the one I draw for you is at least half as good...okay maybe at least a 1/3...

2807025-8099292867-tumbl.gif

Nice challenge, it seems low key but reading your details definitely gives insight into how much of a challenge it is.  I have done NaNoWriMo once and I did complete it but it was tough to get through so good luck on Camp NaNo and on the 15,000 words!  Good luck on all of your challenge, including the fibering!

fiber-optics-palm-coast.jpg

(Every time I hear fiber I always think of these instead...)

As always, I'm watching you!!

tumblr_inline_mny3jbJldS1qdgykm.gif

Hey, no pressure. It'll be awesome because I'll know the artist, which is way more than I can say for any of the pics I've used thus far.

Yeah, I was wondering if this was a little too low-key. Still, after all the highs and lows of last challenge, I figure this might be the best way to refocus and get myself back on track. Also, if you read between the lines, you'll see that there's plenty going on. Hopefully the log will show you all of that. :)

Man, if fiber glowed like that, this would be a cinch...

Thank you so much!

Looking forward to you seeing you update and endeavor this challenge :)

Oh, you know. Another day, another push up.

Phew. Long, good day today. I'll catch y'all up on the details tomorrow.

• Like 1

Hahahahaha, man, I shouldn't have waited so long, but wait I did, and so here I am.

Okay, then.

So, Saturday, I woke up and tried to get out to see my personal training client. We ended up missing each other by a bit, and long story short, no training. Which I was kind of okay with, except of course that I need the money.

Oh well. It's not a perfect world.

Anyway, since I had Pathfinder that night, I decided to go all-out on the training, even if it was a deload.

Hill Sprints: 5x20 yards

Prisoner Squats: 5x5+15

Pike Press: 5x5+5

Banded Glute Ham Raise: 1x5

Handstands: 3x18s over a period of five minutes

Flat Bent Leg Raises: 2x10,9

Boy, those GHRs were an adventure. Lemme show you the setup.

GHR Apparatus

And here's how it works:

• The doorway pull up bar holds a single band that is grasped with both hands.
  • Leverage is achieved via the use of a plywood board and some rope to hold the legs down.
  • Because the board is chip-wood, I covered it in a towel so I wouldn't get splinters.
  • There are more towels here too - one folded up to serve as a knee pad, and the other around the rope to keep it from cutting in to my legs.
  • The board rests on a linoleum floor, which is terrible for friction. So I use the kettlebell to anchor it at the end. It still moves a bit, though, so I need to find out which angle I can work from that will minimize movement.

And... yeah. Obviously I could build something more ornate, but I have neither the tools nor the budget. For my purposes, this works just fine. We can beat other problems as they become more obvious.

Anyway, after that, I slugged down some coffee, then did my kettlebell work. It was glorious and difficult due to fatigue and I loved it.

And then, Pathfinder. Our DM is running us through Rise of the Runelords. I'm playing a CG Oracle (cleric!sorcerer) character with players who only know me as the happy go lucky monk who just goes quietly. They were pleasantly surprised that I had more range. :)

Proved to be useful right out of the gate, too, because we only have one dedicated combat character in the party.

Honestly, how do I know I'm going to be the one to carry the party? How do I know, guys.

Also, I've been thinking about the running thing. I think I might try to scale it back some - run as long as I can whilst keeping my pulse down, and then when it exceeds, slow down to a walk and just do that for the rest of the time. Just because. I'm starting to pick up pains in my foot and in my ankles; my left foot in particular is hurting again, and since it's my job to be up on my feet all day I just don't think the return on investment is very good, especially since I'm using swings and such as a no-impact form of conditioning.

Still, I can go 8:40 at a comfy pace before my heartrate shoots up. I guess I'll see what happens Wednesday.

And, yup. that's pretty much it. Worked tonight and will again tomorrow.

Oh, and y'all would be proud of me. I fought the urge to go out and pick up a program for $7 that would fit perfectly with my set up. Because (I had to remind myself) I don't care about fast results. I care about longevity and process.

See, guys? This is what the logging is supposed to do. :tongue:

• Like 4

I'm currently DMing and playing with the same group (alternating Thursdays). Both games are now 5th Ed. although the one I'm playing in was Castles & Crusades up to the last session... gah, that was torture. :P

The group I'm DMing for is what I pleasantly term the "a**hole" party: a warlock convinced that the end is nigh, a feral half-elf druid whose idea of "balance" is "killing anything that moves", a half-orc barbarian who can't see past the gold in his hands, a gnomish trickster with a bow and a tiefling monk with bad intent. During the last session I had to introduce a "heroic" team of NPCs who would actually move the story along, since my actual PCs are basically selfish cowards. We're playing the official Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but I have no idea how long we'll actually be playing that story. =)

The other group is much more heroic, although I'm transforming my LG healbot cleric into a deadly avenger now that we're switching systems, because I'm sick of being a healbot.

• Like 2

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

I'm currently DMing and playing with the same group (alternating Thursdays). Both games are now 5th Ed. although the one I'm playing in was Castles & Crusades up to the last session... gah, that was torture. :tongue:

The group I'm DMing for is what I pleasantly term the "a**hole" party: a warlock convinced that the end is nigh, a feral half-elf druid whose idea of "balance" is "killing anything that moves", a half-orc barbarian who can't see past the gold in his hands, a gnomish trickster with a bow and a tiefling monk with bad intent. During the last session I had to introduce a "heroic" team of NPCs who would actually move the story along, since my actual PCs are basically selfish cowards. We're playing the official Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but I have no idea how long we'll actually be playing that story. =)

The other group is much more heroic, although I'm transforming my LG healbot cleric into a deadly avenger now that we're switching systems, because I'm sick of being a healbot.

(I tucked the D&Dzors talk behind spoiler for you all.)

Haha!  Oh man, this is funny.   I am playing in 2 groups.   One is our Thursday night, struggling to become heroes group:  Me, a tiefling warlock who is trying so hard to distance herself from the whole 'fiendish heritage' that she's gone full blown Fey pact.   Her best buddy is a thief she group on the streets with, who's got a good heart but just can't help but be addicted to the monies.   Then the half orc barbarian (seriously, that class needs the nerf bat) who keeps trying to trick us into fighting these big battles for promise of money (when really it's only promise of glory for him), a nature path Paladin who feels obligated now to stick around after traveling with us a bit, and our one guy's reroll : a super scholarly, cleric of Boccob whose 'epic dream' is to find out if the missing bits of Vehkna are really out there.   He's nosey as hell, and very book smart but not street smart... so his first meeting with us he asks the Half Orc, "Soooo which of your parents is full orc?"  *facepalm*             Our SUNDAY night game we are running the Hoard of the Dragon Queen - but we're thinking our GM is being a dick.  We've got 7 of us.  Dwarven barbarian chick, two brothers, an arcane trickster rogue and a fiendish human warlock, myself as a noble born paladin of bahamut, my noble friend, and prissy girl extraordinaire, who is a wild mage sorceress, a cleric of Torm and a drow fighter.      On that game, I kid you not, we've played 9 sessions.  I have been dropped to ZERO health or worse, 13 times.     He tells me the game is set for 4 people, but if it is, I've no idea why we keep all dying so hard.  Ugh!

Oh anyway, crap.  I SPLURTED D&D talk all over Kishi's thread, sorry!

I must say, I totally wanna D&D with you some day though.  I bet it would be so fun!

Sounds like a good weekend though, and I think that listening to your body and adjusting for it is smart.   I also never thought about the idea of running until your heart rate goes up, then walking - that sounds like a really good way to slowly build up things!  I run and just, slug it out with my heart rate at like 170 for the last 15 minutes lol!

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100