Lachy's Log

12/12/2011 - Week 1 Day 1

New routine/schedule started today. I got this from a post of knightwatch's, it seemed interesting so, I'm trying it out.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/totalbody_training;jsessionid=7958E514457570D5E2A9C40171C90E49-mcd02.hydra

Today is 3 sets, 5 reps, 60 seconds rest. 5 compound lifts, 1 isolation lift. I put in warm up sets as needed, but won't detail them.

Widegrip Pullups

3 x 5 @ Bodyweight

Flat Barbell Bench Press

3 x 5 @ 70KG(154lbs)

Highbar Back Squat

1 x 5 @ 80KG(176lbs)

2 x 5 @ 90KG(198lbs)

EZ Bar Preacher Curl

3 x 5 @ 30KG(66lbs)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press

3 x 5 @ 40KG(88lbs)

Barbell Deadlift

1 x 5 @ 100KG(220lbs)

2 x 5 @ 110KG(242lbs)

So, it was full body run. I think it will take a few sessions to get used to the weights and changes. 60 seconds rest was really short, so that made it challenging. The plan calls for varying sets, reps and rest periods, so I'll have to ensure I push myself enough each day.

13/12/2011 - Walk

6.5KM 61 minutes ~6.5kph (~4mph).

So, the current routine calls for 3 days of lifting in a 7 day period, I plan to lift Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I do my workouts first thing, up at 4.55AM, it was dificult at first, but now its habit, and even on sleep in days I wake up around then (then I roll over and go back to sleep :) ). But I know I need to do it regularly, or my clock will change. So, I'm going to wake up at the same time and walk for an hour. This way I'm not taxing my muscles greatly, so the lifting routine will still have its impact, but I can maintain my early rise.

14/12/2011 - Week 1 Day 2

I felt a little soreness (the good kind) yesterday, not sure if its because of the routine change, or if it's simply because of the 5 day break I took.

Oh, took a weigh in, 85.5KG (in gym clothes/shoes), so still trending down, though slowly.

Today is 3 sets, 8 reps, 90 seconds rest. More reps, but more rest, weight will be lowered slightly from yesterday.

The routine calls for jumbing the order around, so while I will keep the same exercises (for the most part) for this 2 week period, the order will change around. (After 2 weeks the routine continues, but it calls for a change of exercises)

Flat Barbell Bench Press

2 x 8 @ 65KG(143lbs)

1 x 7 @ 65KG(143lbs)

Maaaaaaybe could have done the last rep on the last set, but without a spotter I wasn't going to try. Had a quick 15 second rest then knocked out a couple more for punishment

Widegrip Pulldowns

3 x 8 @ 70KG(154lbs)

Couldn't get to the pullup bar today, it's part of a squat rack and the rack was in use.

EZ Bar Preacher Curl

2 x 8 @ 27.5KG(60.5lbs)

1 x 8 @ 30KG(66lbs)

I know I couldn't do 3 x 8 @ 30KG (just yet), but 3 x 8 @ 27.5KG is too easy (but onlyl just). The last rep of the 30KG was a struggle.

2 x 8 @ 37.5KG(82.5lbs)

2 x 7 @ 37.5KG(82.5lbs)

Failed on the last rep. Short rest, knocked out a couple of quick punishment reps.

Barbell Deadlift

3 x 8 @ 100KG(220lbs)

Highbar Back Squat

1 x 8 @ 70KG(154lbs)

2 x 8 @ 80KG(176lbs)

Honestly, these numbers could be a little off. I realise now I didn't pay attention properly. It was a little light though.

15/12/2011 - Day 3 Week 1

Today, 2 sets, 15 reps, 120 second rest. Order mixed up again.

15 @ 32.5KG(71.5lbs)

13 @ 32.5KG(71.5lbs)

Failed on the second set. Quick rest then knocked out some punishment reps.

Widegrip Pulldowns

2 x 15 @ 55(121lbs)

Highbar Back Squat

2 x 15 @ 60KG(132lbs)

This was a touch easy, I can increase

Barbell Deadlift

2 x 15 @ 70KG(132lbs)

This too was a touch easy, I can increase

Flat Barbell Bench Press

2 x 15 @ 50KG(110lbs)

This was close to the limit, next time I'll bump slightly

EZ Bar Preacher Curl

2 x 15 @ 22.5KG(49.5lbs)

Yep, increase next time

I hadn't done high reps like this for a quite a while, so finding the right load was a bit of a guessing game, but now I have a base line, and know I can bump most weights up a touch.

21/12/2011 - Week 2 Day 1

Writting this on iPhone, with a copy paste job from W1D1, need to come back edit and format and group exercises in their order and super sets. - Updated

Ok, due to circumstances, mostly my own fault, I'm starting this week 2 days late, I'll eventually get back in sync, but for now I'm just picking it up and carrying on.

Today is 3 sets, 5 reps, 60 seconds rest, same as W1D1 except exercises are done in antagonitic supersets, opposing muscle groups. 1st set shoulder press, 1st set pull up, rest, 2nd set chest press, etc.

Flat Barbell Bench Press / EZ Bar Preacher Curl

3 x 5 @ 72.5KG(159.5lbs) / 3 x 5 @ 32.5KG(71.5lbs)

I know bench press and curls aren't quite antagonistic, but it's the pairing I went with! Increased weight on both exercises, little wonky on the bench press though, stabalizers need to catchup!

Widegrip Pullups / Standing Barbell Shoulder Press

3 x 6 @ Bodyweight / 3 x 5 @ 45KG(99lbs)

Increased reps on the pullups because I can't increase load, and I want to do them at least once a week. Cleaned from the the bar from the floor for the shoulder press and increased weight!

Highbar Back Squat / Barbell Deadlift

3 x 5 @ 90KG(198lbs) / 3 x 5 @ 110KG(242lbs)

All 3 squat sets at 90! All 3 sets at 110! This will be the sweet spot for right now, I need to work on getting just that little bit lower on the squats and watch my form on the deadlift.

Every exercise got an increase! Even if it was just one set getting the bump, nice! Gotta pay attention to my form on deads, squats and bench before going up again though.

21/12/2011 - Week 2 Day 1

Every exercise got an increase! Even if it was just one set getting the bump, nice! Gotta pay attention to my form on deads, squats and bench before going up again though.

Awesome, congrats...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

23/12/2011 - Week 2 Day 2

Today is 3 sets, 8 reps, 90 seconds rest. Antagonistic super sets again.

Highbar Back Squat / Laying Hamstring Curls

3 x 8 @ 80KG(176lbs) / 2 x 8 @ 27.5KG(60.5lbs)

n/a / 1 x 8 @ 30KG(66lbs)

Got a good depth going on the squats today, happy with the form, just need to suck it up and transfer to the heavy day! Switched out the deadlifts for the hammy curls, bit worried about doing too much deading combined with squats. Also, the routine calls for 2 isolation excercises, but I've only being doing 1 (preachers) until now. Gonna keep deads in there 1 - 2 times a week though.

Widegrip Pullups / Flat Barbell Bench Press

2 x 8 @ Bodyweight / 2 x 8 @ 70KG(154lbs)

1 x 7 @ Bodyweight / 1 x 7 @ 70KG(154lbs)

Managed to get the pullup bar today! Upped the weight on the bench. Still couldn't complete that last rep of the last set though on both exercises.

EZ Bar Preacher Curl / Standing Barbell Shoulder Press

1 x 8 @ 30KG(66lbs) / 1 x 8 @ 35KG(77lbs)

1 x 7 @ 30KG(66lbs) / 1 x 7 @ 37.5KG(82.5lbs)

1 x 8 @ 27.5(60.5lbs) / 1 x 7 @ 35KG(77lbs)

So I gave 3 x 8 @ 30KG ago, but I'm not quite there yet. Bit disapointed with the shoulder press, wondering if I recorded correctly last time, or if it was just at the end of the workout and I was buggered?

Felt well worked after this workout, even if I didn't hit optimum weight/reps, so I'm happy, and progress is being made!

I've been upping the food lately from a deficit to a surplus, so hopefully this will transfer to muscle and to strenght!

24/12/2011 Week 2 Day 3

Supposed to be a day off, well, actually was supposed to be TRX, but it's raining once again here in sunny Brisbane, so that was cancelled and I decided to man up and go today. Tomorrow being Xmas day is a day off, filled with food, presents and booze! Then I'll be back on regular schedule for Monday, starting week 3!

Continuing the theme, today is 2 sets, 15 reps, 120 seconds rest, antagonistic super sets.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press / Widegrip Pulldowns

2 x 15 @ 32.5KG / 2 x 15 @ 55KG

Not really any change here, I maybe could go up on the pull downs, but shoulder press was getting really wobbly for the last couple reps.

Highbar Back Squat / Laying Hamstring Curls

2 x 15 @ 62.5KG / 1 x 15 @ 25KG

n/a / 1 x 15 @30KG

Squats can go up again, form is good and while there is effort, I've got more to give. Hammy curls 25 was too easy, 30 was good.

EZ Bar Preacher Curls / Flat Barbell Bench Press

2 x 15 @ 25KG / 1 x 15 @ 52.5KG

n/a / 1 x 14 @ 52.5KG

Preacher curls were right on, increase next time though! I need a spotter on the damn bench though, I could maybe do that last rep, maybe! Anyway, did a third set of both to failure, just because

Some nice increases there, small though they may be. Felt good, it's pretty easy for the first 10 reps, but the last 5 are definitely a struggle, I guess that's my endurance fatigue.

So far I'm liking the routine. Next week I need to change up the exercises. I will keep the deadlifts and squats though, but I will do them on alternating days, with an antagonistic exercise for the other. Ie: squats and hammy curls, or deads and quad extensions.

Been a bit slack in keeping this updated. But I HAVE been keeping up with the exercise!

26/12/2011 Week 3 Day 1

New week, new exercises. 4 sets (up from 3), 5 reps, 60 seconds rest.

Barbell Deadlift

4 x 5 @ 110KG

Completed all sets, but grip was going in my left hand at the end. Still, might bump it up a little next time.

Barbell Rows

2 x 5 @ 60KG

2 x 5 @ 70KG

Doing these the way described in SL5x5, so that it's a lift off the ground each time. I need to watch the form, on a couple at the end I'm raising my back a bit. First time trying it so, weight needed calbiration, and I need to learn the form more.

Leg Extention

1 x 5 @ 60KG

1 x 5 @ 65KG

2 x 5 @ 70KG

It's a machine, but it's one of my isolation exercises for this cycle. Weight needed calibration, 70KG was good though.

Incline Barbell Bench Press

2 x 5 @ 60KG

1 x 5 @ 62.5KG

1 x 4 @ 62.5KG

62.5KG is about right at the moment. I need a spotter for benches! I did a couple of punishment reps, but I was tapped out!

Semi Pronated Close Grip Pulldowns

1 x 5 @ 70KG

3 x 5 @ 75KG

First time trying these, but got the weight calibrated pretty quickly, 75 is pretty spot on, last rep was haarrrrd.

Dumbbell Lateral Side Raise

1 x 5 @ 10KG

3 x 5 @ 12.5KG

Quick calibration, 12.5 isn't toooo hard, but form is sloppy.

OK, so thats the new cycle. I'll rotate Deads and Squats every other workout, so over the 2 week cycle, I should do each one once on each of the reps/sets, with an isolation move to balance (leg extentions and hammstring curls respectivley)

28/12/2011 Week 3 Day 2

4 sets, 8 reps, 90 seconds rest. (Note, this week is one more set (4) on everything as opposed to last week (3)

Barbell Back Squat

2 x 8 @ 80KG

2 x 8 @ 85KG

Form was good and strong, so I bumped the weight a little.

1 x 8 @ 52.5KG

2 x 8 @ 55KG

1 x 8 @ 57.5KG

Next week, stick to 57.5KG for all sets (unless I can bump).

Barbell Rows

4 x 8 @ 55KG

Form was OK, should be good for a bump next week.

2 x 8 @ 10KG

2 x 8 @ 12.5KG

Yep, I really should be doing the 15KGs instead of 12.5KG for Day 1's 5 reps if I'm doing 8 on the 12.5s here.

Laying Hamstring Curls

1 x 8 @ 30KG

3 x 8 @ 32.5KG

Might try at 35 next time, these are getting tough, but I think I could try more.

2 x 8 @ 65KG

1 x 8 @ 70KG

1 x 7 @ 70KG

The 8th rep on the last set was like 3/4 of a rep, so I didn't count it! 70KG next time from the get go!

So, that was this morning, I'm back on track and up to date! Looking forward to Friday's session.

30/12/2011 Week 3 Day 3

3 sets, 15 reps, 120 seconds rest.

LAST WORKOUT FOR THE YEAR!

2 x 15 @ 50KG

1 x 11 @ 50KG

The first 2 sets were tough towards the end, and I just didn't have the endurance to complete the 3rd. Did a couple punishment reps after a short break. No bump on this next week, just aim to complete the reps.

1 x 15 @ 10KG

2 x 15 @ 7.5KG

10KG was a little too ambitious over 15 reps, soon though, soon.

1 x 15 @ 55KG

2 x 15 @ 52.5KG

Found a little 2.5KG weight to throw on to make it a little heavier, that was good. Last reps of last set were tough!

Leg Extentions

3 x 15 @ 45KG

Gets tough for the last reps, small bump next time.

Barbell Rows

3 x 15 @ 40KG

Kept the weight down today, I wanted to maintain form over all reps. Next time we can bump by 5KG I think.

Barbell Deadlifts

1 x 15 @ 70KG

1 x 5 @ 70KG

2 x 15 @ 60KG

This one annoyed me. Maybe because it was at the end of the workout, or something, but my grip wasn't there and I lost focus big time on the second set. So I deloaded and started the 2nd set again.

I was looking forward to this workout, but I was disapointed in it. I felt quite nauceous hafl way through, which is quite unusual for me. I was very dry mouthed the whole time, despite drinking water. I suspect I'm having too many drinks after work, only 3 or 4, but I think it's having an impact. Probably not greate calorie wise either. Gonna have to drop them in the New Year. I'm going to miss those beers!

03/01/2012 - Week 4 Day 1

Happy New Year! Let's kick this thing off right! I've been working hard the last 7 months, so this is no resolution crap! This is the year to enforce my new lifestyle!

[EDIT - forgot to include reps/sets/rest details]

4 sets, 5 reps, 60 seconds rest, antagonistic super sets

Barbell Squats / Barbell Deadlifts

3 x 5 @ 90KG / 2 x 5 @ 90KG

1 x 5 @ 95KG / 2 x 5 @ 110KG

Was meant to do hammy curls, but that machine was inuse, so I just loaded up another oly bar for deads. Wasn't sure I could handle heavy squats and deads back to back, so started the deads light (also, missed the warm up for them), but I managed OK, hence the bump. Also, new max squat! 100KG, here I come!

Incline Barbell Bench Press / Barbell Rows

2 x 5 @ 62.5KG / 3 x 5 @ 70KG

3 x 5 @ 65KG / 1 x 5 @ 75KG

Bumpy Bump, also, extra set of bench press 'cause I didn't quite feel worked. I was told once that the bar I used is actually lighter than a regular oly, but I can't tell the difference, I put it unloaded beside a known unloaded oly and compared, they seemed the same... but maybe

Semi Pronated Close Grip Pulldowns / Dumbbell Lateral Side Raise

2 x 5 @ 75KG / 2 x 5 @ 12.5KG

2 x 5 @ 80KG / 2 x 5 @ 15KG

Bumped on both, though this pull down machine is different to the one I last did my heavy pull downs on, could be some discrepancy.

All in all a good workout, feeling stronger. I didn't watch my rest times closely though, I was running around looking for plates for bumps sometimes. Looking forward to this year, a stronger, leaner, fitter and healthier me! Thanks NF!

04/01/2012 Week 4 Day 2

No rest day between days 1 and 2 this week, due to my hangover still hanging over on Monday and me missing that workout, resulting in me having to haul back to back session to get back on track. But I'm tough, I can do it (every now and again).

4 Sets, 8 Reps, 90 seconds rest, antagonsitic super sets.

Barbell Deadlift / Leg Extentions

3 x 8 @ 105 / 2 x 8 @ 60

1 x 8 @ 110 / 2 x 8 @ 65

Considered doing deads and squats again, thought better of it. Look, bump in deadlift weight! Grip is giving out a bit though.

Incline Barbell Benchpress / Barbell Row

2 x 8 @ 57.5 / 1 x 8 @ 55

2 x 8 @ 60 / 3 x 8 @ 60

Bump and Bump!

Lateral Side Raise / Close Grip Semi Supinated Pullups

4 x 8 @ 12.5 / 8 @ Bodyweight

n/a / 6 @ Bodyweight

n/a / 5 @ Bodyweight

n/a / 4 @ Bodyweight

Stupid pull downs machine was in use! Stupid gym with only one pull down machine! So I thought I'd try pullups instead. I knew I couldn't do 4 x 8, but I am disapointed in my numbers there. Start off soooo easy, but endurace fail. I thought the pull downs I'd been doing would have kept my numbers higher, guess there's no substitude for greasing the groove on these. Must do more often!

I felt pretty damn drained after this one. Not sure if it was the back to backs, or the bumps. It was a good drained feeling though. And I'm happy with bumps in there.

04/01/2012 -- continued

So, when I got home I had energy to burn and decided to go for a run. I haven't run for over a month, so I did the short route. At first I wasn't sure if I'd even make it non-stop, but I made it and made it strong! I haven't compared the time to previous entries yet, but I felt strong at the end, so I'm happy regardless.

~4.5KM ~23 minutes

06/01/2012 - Week 4 Day 3

That's one month on the current routine, one month to go!

3 sets, 15 reps, 120 seconds rest, antagonistic super sets.

Semi Pronated Close Grip Pulldowns / Dumbbell Lateral Side Raise

2 x 15 @ 55KG / 3 x 15 @ 10KG

1 x 15 @ 60KG / n/a

Hooray for improvements! Last time I couldn't complete the raises with 10s, it was hard but I got through.

Barbell Squats / Laying Hamstring Curls

2 x 15 @ 65KG / 3 x 15 @ 30KG

1 x 15 @ 70KG / n/a

Squats go bump and bump! 70KG isn't heavy, but at 15 reps it's difficult! Hammy curls are an effort, 30 is good, maybeee a bump next time.

Incline Barbell Benchpress / Barbell Row

1 x 15 @ 50KG / 3 x 15 @ 45KG

1 x 14 @ 50KG / n/a

1 x 10 @ 45KG / n/a

I am Jack's disapointment. That's a drop on the bench from last week's sets of 15 reps, but I'm putting it down to being at the end of the workout and me being a bit drained. Still, disapointment. The rows are a bump of 5KG across the range though,

So, I'm happy with everything except those incline benches. I think when doing 15s the last exercise is always a struggle, which is why this routine insists on juggling, so everything gets a chance at being peformed when fresh and when drained. Peeking ahead, reps are going up again, but sets are dropping. The next month should be interesting.

On a side note, I haven't weighed myself in a while, but I've definetly put on weight if visuals are anything to go by. This is fine, I made the decision to eat hearty and embrace the fat and the muscle and reap the benefits. Though maybe a little too much fat has creeped in over the festive season. I'm now making an effor to eat big, but eat cleaner. Until the end of this routine, then I think it'll be back to cutting.

Alright, so over due! Thanks for the support bondgirl!

OK, so back to where I left off on 06/01/2012... I had finished the first 4 weeks of the routine I was following, the next 4 weeks were to up the reps from 5, 8, 12 to 8, 12, 18, and honestly, that just didn't appeal. While I was making strength gains on the routine, it was hard to quantify because of the constantly changing reps, sets and exercises. So I decided to switch to Strong Lifts, which I was going to do at the end of week 8 anyway. I can see myself returning to this routine in the future though. I chose to move to SL5x5 because I want to start making some good strength gains, I don't just want to look fit and strong, I want to BE strong. Time to get some good numbers on the board!

So, for the last week and a bit, I've been following SL5x5, got the iPhone app, which is simple and easy to use. I didn't start at just bar weight as by this point I've been lifting for 7 months, but I did deload quite a lot.

I'm also throwing dips/pullups on to the end of workout A/B respectively, going for 5 sets of bodyweight reps. Starting at 10/5 reps respectively, once I can do 5 x 10/5, then I increment the reps by 1. If as the intensity of the lifts goes up I find I can't handle it, I will drop them or cut them back, but for now I feel I need the extra work, and frankly they're exercises I don't want to go without.

Here's a summary of the time I've missed:

09/01/2012 Workout A

Squat: 5 x 5 @ 80KG

Bench Press: 5 x 5 @ 60KG

Barbell Row: 5 x 5 @ 70KG

Dips:: 10, 10, 10, 10, 8

11/01/2012 Workout B

Squat: 5 x 5 @ 82.5KG

Overhead Press: 5 x 5 @ 30KG

Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 100KG

Pullups: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

13/01/2012 Workout A - Weigh in 86KG

Squat: 5 x 5 @ 85KG

Bench Press: 5 x 5 @ 62.5KG

Barbell Row: 5 x 5 @ 72.5KG

Dips: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

16/01/2012 Workout B

Squat: 5 x 5 @ 87.5KG

Overhead Press: 5 x 5 @ 35KG

Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 105KG

Pullups: 6, 6, 6, 5, 5

I started the overhead press a bit lighter than maybe I should have, so I skipped an increment and went from 30KG to 35KG, I won't jump it anymore than that, even though it's still easy because I know it'll run out of juice before long. Also, I think I started the barbell row a little heavy, but I won't adjust for it, I'll just see how I go. Everything else at this stage is quite manageable, but requires effort, which is right where I want it, I can work on form, gain some strength and continue incrementing for a few weeks without missing a set I think.

I did a weigh in there on the 13th, it's up, but that's expected. I decided to embrace the Christmas food and try to gain some muscle from it. Not sure how much of the weight gain was fat vs muscle, but I've decided it's time to cut again, still too much spare tire around my stomach!

Been for a few walks with Dad in between sessions as usual also. I want to try and get a run in once a week too.

So far I'm feeling good and looking forward to my next session. I'm looking forward to that first time I can't complete a set, because that's when the work really starts! Regularly scheduled updates resume NOW!