Fortysomething Scottish newbie

Hey all, found the site by accident a few weeks ago and lurked around until I felt confident enough to sign up and say hi. So... hi.

I'm Scott, 42, from the west of Scotland, and I'm an IT nerd determined that this will be my last "fresh start". I've been battling weight and food issues since my childhood, and have yo-yo'd over the years. Got into weight training in 1994 at college, got into reasonable shape for a couple of years and then let myself go when I got married. Discovered low-carb/Atkins in 2002 and went from 250 lbs to around 155 in about 6 or 7 months. Slowly let it creep back up until mid-2010 when I started a badly-researched programme of over exercising and under eating, and went from 245 down to about 170 by early 2011. Of course, I let it slide yet again, and quickly gained it all back. By early 2015, I was feeling like absolute crap, constantly sick and tired, and weighing in at 255. Joined a low-cost, no-contract, no-frills gym on February 27 of this year, started reading up on proper nutrition and training (came across Staci's story via Google, which led me here), and like I said...

This will be my LAST "fresh start".

I'm now into week 6 of working out and trying to watch what I'm eating/drinking - this is my real nemesis. I'm an absolute chocaholic, and any kind of cakes/pastries, etc. will send me into a complete spiral of binging and shame.

I was weighing in weekly, and at last check was 235, but that's "stalled" for the last 3 weeks - I say "stalled" because it's misleading - I can feel my body changing, clothes fitting better, even though the number isn't moving. Trying to educate myself on muscle weight vs fat weight and remind myself of this, because my natural inclination is to focus on the number (an unfortunate effect of my career choice!)

Anyway, glad to be here amongst like-minded people, loving some of the inspiring stories I've seen here thus far.

• Like 1

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

Hi, that would be awesome, really appreciate that!

Also, just updated my profile pic. Reaffirming my nerd credentials by posing in dorky facepaint. I'm the chubby one on the left striking the dopey "RARRRR!" pose. :-)

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

Welcome! You're just in time for a six week challenge if you're up for it :) Actually you've got another whole week to put something together, but the boards are up already if you want to poke around.

Let us know if there's anything you've got questions about everyone around here is really helpful and awesome :D

• Like 1