SomeGuyFromScotland vs. The Mirror/Wardrobe/Himself

Introduction: Hi all, new to the site and ready to throw myself into my first challenge. I'm five weeks into a new gym routine, and I think this will help keep me focused and accountable.

Main Quest: Dress like a proper grown-up adult man, in clothes which actually look good on me, and make my wife proud to be seen with me when I take her out. The general aim is to overhaul my entire wardrobe by the end of 2015, getting rid of anything which falls into one of the following categories: baggy, sagging or ragged. My specific aim is to get properly fitted for one good quality, tailored, (possibly three-piece) suit, and get a good photograph taken wearing it. I'm sick of being disgusted when I look in the mirror or see a photo of myself.

Quest 1: Continue going to the gym a minimum of 4 times a week. I mentioned this in my introductory thread, but I joined a gym on February 27th, and have made decent progress thus far. I've worked out a routine which I'm happy with:

Cross-trainer/elliptical: 15 mins, currently at resistance Level 8. As a guide to illustrate this, the display which tells me calories burned is currently showing me burning between 150 and 160 on any given workout at this setting. Five weeks ago when I started, I was burning 200 calories in one 30-minute session, and dying by the end. I'd like to gradually adjust the resistance to burn 200 in this 15 minute blast.

Weights: currently concentrating on upper body and arms, the cross trainer is really working my legs. Doing bicep curls, tricep extensions, chest press, shoulder press, pec fly for various sets/reps at weights varying from 50-70 lbs. Aim is to build this up to a point where I up each weight by 10 lbs and do 3 x 10 without failing in the third set.

Cross-trainer/elliptical: repeat the 15 minute blast above to end the workout. Again, currently doing 150-160 in this session, I want to be burning 200 in this.

Oh, as an accountability tool, my gym logs all my workouts and I can view my activity as a chart in my own personal login area. I'm willing to screenshot and share this chart on here to show my attendance.

Attribute Point Metrics (5 total):

Achieve Minimum 4 sessions each week + 2 STR, 1 STA

Achieve 2 x 200 calorie Cross Trainer burns in one workout (Time limit 15 mins) + 2 STA

Quest 2: NO FIZZY DRINKS! NO DIET COKE! NO MONSTER / ROCKSTAR / RELENTLESS!

Water, coffee and skimmed milk only for the next 6 weeks. I've already cut down from 1-2 cans of any of the above daily to maybe 3 a week at the most. I'll cut those out. FYI, I was drinking the sugar free versions of the energy drinks, not that it's much better.

Attribute Point Metric (5 total):

Pass/Fail, no half measures, failure is not an option. + 3 CON, 2 WIS

Quest 3: Lose the chocolate/cakes/cookies, etc.

Chocolate is my nemesis. Always has been. When I was spiralling to the depth I hit before I joined the gym and found NF, I would do 3 or 4 bars a day. Toffee Crisp, Kit Kat Chunky and Lion Bar being the worst offenders. I've almost eliminated these, but there has been the occasional slip. Donuts and pastries/cakes also kill me. Once I start any of this crap, I invariably binge. So, complete cold turkey for the next 6 weeks to try to break the habit.

Attribute Point Metric (5 total):

Pass/Fail, no half measures, failure is not an option. + 2 CON, 2 WIS, 1 CHA

Minis:

#1: S.M.A.R.T. - Done! +1 WIS

#2: Making Friends - Done! +1 CHA 

#3: The Library - Done! +1 STA

#4: Checking your starting credits - Done! It's in the Sig!

#5: The Cafeteria - Unofficial challenge Done! +1 CON

#6: Choosing Your Major - Done! Wheeeeeee!

Motivation: new clothes. I started this year as a 42" waist on my work trousers, a 19" collar shirt, and all of my t-shirts were XXL and even those could feel tight. Currently, I'm still wearing the 42" trousers (but the belt has gone in 4 notches - I just haven't had a chance to replace them yet), I've got 2 pairs of 38" jeans which I can now fasten comfortably, and a couple of XL t-shirts which are currently a little snug, but I can get into them - the XXL now feel very loose. Goal is currently 34" waist maximum, and t-shirts being medium to large. Oh, and as stated in the Main Quest, a proper suit.

I can do this. I WILL do this.

Edited to add: Attribute Points allocation by Quest

• Like 16

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

Hey, that's a good way to measure your progress. Good Luck and best wishes!

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Sounds awesome, get some!

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Good luck from a fellow Brit. I've done the 44" to 34" trouser journey, its rewarding, but can be a little expensive. I tended to skip a size each time (and suffer with looking like baggy-mcbaggerson for a bit) and use a belt like you.

Something i wish i'd done - keep the belts when you shrink out of them. I think that would be a good pick-me-up when you inevitably have bad days.

Obviously height and muscle mass will play a part but for me at 5"10 a 34" waist is definitely a medium and not a large in t-shirts/shirts

Oh, and use old t-shirts for gym t-shirts. With the stretching and movements i prefer a bigger size for gym work.

• Like 5

It's a 24 hour gym with PIN numbered keypad entry, so it's only logging your in and out times, not what you do in between. I could actually be sitting at the vending machines for an hour (but I promise I won't!)

• Like 1

I love your main quest.  My boyfriend has been doing something similar (with a little help from me, cos letting go of certain things has been a little hard for him).

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Adventurers' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Still reading up and learning how things work. Edited my challenge to lay down some metrics for allocation of attribute points. This is fun!

Can't figure out how to shorten the challenge link in my sig, though. The [url=] BBCode isn't working as a link for me. I've tried C&Ping from Spezzy's notes elsewhere, but no joy.

Still reading up and learning how things work. Edited my challenge to lay down some metrics for allocation of attribute points. This is fun!

Can't figure out how to shorten the challenge link in my sig, though. The [url=] BBCode isn't working as a link for me. I've tried C&Ping from Spezzy's notes elsewhere, but no joy.

I do it by pressing that little light switch to go to code mode (or whatever its called) and then manually editing what is between the ] and the [

• Like 1

I may have to start early, I'm so excited I don't think I can wait until Monday. Delayed gratification issues coming to the fore... at least cheesecake (and specifically, the eating of an entire one in one sitting) isn't involved this time.

• Like 1

Following along, brother.  I started at the beginning of this year not far from where you are now and with similar goals.  I've already got my "goal" suit hanging in the closet--it's my old service uniform. :D

No sense waiting for an arbitrary date if you're ready to get after it now.  You'll just have a running start when Monday kicks off. ;)

• Like 2

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

What a great set of goals! :) Its been discussed ad nauseum around here, but a man looking good in a well fitting suit, is always a positive thing :) Doing it to make your wife proud is just icing on the cake!

Chocolate...bah! I had to cold turkey sugar entirely after a while, bc it cant be a once in a while thing for me either! best of luck with that one!! Kit Kat Chunky....mmmm but those Galaxy hazelnut bars are my nemesis, luckily here in the US they are hard to find!

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Kit Kat Chunky....mmmm

The fat man in me almost replied, "I know, right? Especially the peanut butter version!" but that's the internal voice that also says, "eat the whole thing, you'll look just fine in a muu-muu!" ;-)

• Like 3

The fat man in me almost replied, "I know, right? Especially the peanut butter version!" but that's the internal voice that also says, "eat the whole thing, you'll look just fine in a muu-muu!" ;-)

The peanut butter versions are far too good!  I really didn't need more of an incentive to eat Kit Kats :P

• Like 1

Level 2 Mul Assassin

STR 3 | STA 0 | DEX 4 | CON 0 | WIS 5 | CHA 1

Current Challenge can be found here.

1st Challenge can be found here

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one"

390181191.gif Muu-muu!

Sorry. Thats the worst and first gif I ever posted. I think, I'll hide in a dark corner now. And I hope, I'm not the only one, who knows the episode.

• Like 7

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Awesome challenge!

I too am a chocoholic. Infact last night I told my husband any of the Easter chocolate that was left in the house today was being thrown out...so we ate the lot -.- oops haha

Seems like an awesome group of people here supporting you too...always awesome to have someone who can put up Simpsons quotes/gifs ect haha

Will be following your progress :D

• Like 2

Level 1 Adventurer

Race: Human/Hobbit

Current stats: STR-1  DEX-1  STA-2  CON-1  WIS-2  CHA-3

Current Challenge

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Distance to Rivendell

0%
0%