PrincessHeather's Go the Distance Challenge

I know how you feel with the "weak" workouts.  It's just something we've got to do to get back to our old numbers.  Better safe than sorry, as they say! 

I'm living vicariously through you and Meg, I want a dog so bad, haha!

• Like 1

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Week 1 Recap

tumblr_n4lsebFA7a1revk8bo1_500.gif

Goal 1: Diet Stuffs C+

Approximately 85% primal (I've continued with some raw dairy and occasional popcorn for this week). Macros decently in line, but had several days where I simply did not eat enough.

Goal 2: Exercise A-

Did minimum of 1 lifting session, 1 CF session, and a little bit of walking/running around with the pup. Will increase this week.

Goal 3:  Stress  C-

0/3 on meditation, 3/3 on bible reading. I did do a little self massage and a chiro appointment, which were helpful but not part of the goal.

Goal 4: Sleep D

I didn't write them all down, but I'm still hitting snooze in the mornings and feeling crappy. I went to bed on time maybe half the time. Arg. The day I did get up on time was to go get labs done, and of course they didn't have me in the system and I had to go back in the afternoon.

I'm taking progesterone for the next week, to hopefulyl kick start a lady cycle so I can get my final two blood tests complete and I can schedule my follow up with my doc to discuss results and plans. Anyone with any knowledge/experience with metformin? It's a diabetes medication, and as it looks like insulin is the foundational problem leading to the hormonal issues, it may be what they suggest I take. No sure if it would be long term or simply a few months to attempt to correct things. I'm hoping this follow up appointment will happen before the end of this challenge, so next challege can really be about learning and doing what is going to be right for me if I do in fact have PCOS or another metabolic problem.

Stayed up too late, woke up late, didn't hit the gym. However, I have been semi-productive at work, and we got our new oven/stove delivered this morning and it's lovely. Can't wait to make some stuff on it tonight!

Also, Meg is ready for these random flurries to stop so we can go hiking!

11155106_10104382366663896_7460505939973

• Like 1

omgmeghasabackpacksooooocuuuuuuute

Can't expect the hoomins to carry all the noms.  Pockets iz too small.

• Like 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I'm living vicariously through you and Meg, I want a dog so bad, haha!

Same! Can Meg be the official NF Warrior's dog?

I'm taking progesterone for the next week, to hopefulyl kick start a lady cycle so I can get my final two blood tests complete and I can schedule my follow up with my doc to discuss results and plans. Anyone with any knowledge/experience with metformin? It's a diabetes medication, and as it looks like insulin is the foundational problem leading to the hormonal issues, it may be what they suggest I take. No sure if it would be long term or simply a few months to attempt to correct things. I'm hoping this follow up appointment will happen before the end of this challenge, so next challege can really be about learning and doing what is going to be right for me if I do in fact have PCOS or another metabolic problem.

My experience with Metformin (in a spoiler for those who want to skip the blow-by-blow account):

I've heard Metformin really helps some women with PCOS, but it didn't agree with me. Although I didn't have any trouble with the most common side-effects (nausea/upset stomach), it wasn't effective at managing my symptoms and made me very tired towards the end. I was on it for about a year (starting the summer before my freshman year of undergrad, so about 5 years ago). During the first few months it triggered some cycles and I also lost ~5 lbs (albeit while working very intensively on a horse farm). However, in the fall/winter I stopped getting my cycle so the endocrinologist upped the dose. Still didn't help and I started having major trouble with fatigue (I wanted to sleep 10+ hrs, and was still super tired all the time). The doctor at the college suspected it was the Metformin and a little experimentation (stopped taking it... all better! Started again (low dose)... immediate crash) proved her correct. She thought perhaps it was making my glucose levels too low. By that point I wasn't cycling and had gained that small loss back + some, despite eating healthy and exercising (strength training + jogging). The endocrinologist's theory was that the fatigue was due to stress and wanted to put me back on the Metformin. Took the script and haven't seen him since... guess I'm guilty of patient noncompliance.

However, others have had much, much better experiences... if you do go on it, my advice is to just 1) listen to your body and 2) be aware that your body may react differently to it over time.

Same! Can Meg be the official NF Warrior's dog?

My experience with Metformin (in a spoiler for those who want to skip the blow-by-blow account):

I've heard Metformin really helps some women with PCOS, but it didn't agree with me. Although I didn't have any trouble with the most common side-effects (nausea/upset stomach), it wasn't effective at managing my symptoms and made me very tired towards the end. I was on it for about a year (starting the summer before my freshman year of undergrad, so about 5 years ago). During the first few months it triggered some cycles and I also lost ~5 lbs (albeit while working very intensively on a horse farm). However, in the fall/winter I stopped getting my cycle so the endocrinologist upped the dose. Still didn't help and I started having major trouble with fatigue (I wanted to sleep 10+ hrs, and was still super tired all the time). The doctor at the college suspected it was the Metformin and a little experimentation (stopped taking it... all better! Started again (low dose)... immediate crash) proved her correct. She thought perhaps it was making my glucose levels too low. By that point I wasn't cycling and had gained that small loss back + some, despite eating healthy and exercising (strength training + jogging). The endocrinologist's theory was that the fatigue was due to stress and wanted to put me back on the Metformin. Took the script and haven't seen him since... guess I'm guilty of patient noncompliance.

However, others have had much, much better experiences... if you do go on it, my advice is to just 1) listen to your body and 2) be aware that your body may react differently to it over time.

Thanks Alana, I will keep that in mind. If I do try it, I think I'll try to keep some kind of journal, maybe add notes on myfitnesspal or something so I can have some idea of what changes I'm seeing. But yeah, if I were to react more like you and be tired all the time, I don't think I'd be able to maintain that.

So, apparently, if I were to actually form the habit and do it, my meditation/relaxtion stuffs might help with the insuline resistance. So, I need to get on that.

• Like 1

Week 2 Recap

tumblr_mpchbwB2Sd1qmfnb7o3_.gif

Improved in some areas, worse in others. This week was a wash.

Goal 2: Exercise A-

Did minimum of 1 lifting session, 1 CF session, and a nice 3 mile hike with the pup.

1/3 on meditation, 3/3 on bible reading. Also had a massage, which was heavenly.

Goal 4: Sleep C

Sleep was slightly better, though I am still feeling really fatigued much of the time. Napped yesterday, and then still slept until the last possible moment before getting ready for work this morning, and I still feel like I could curl up under my desk and sleep the day away.

Done with the progesterone pills, should start a cycle any time now if it did what it should. Then just two more labs and back to the doc. Got some results, progesterone was extremely low, after being insanely high the test before. Interested to see what the doc thinks about that.

Week 3 Recap

hercules2.gif

Same as last week, not great, but not terrible. Also need to drink more water.

Goal 2: Exercise B-

2 CF sessions, no lifting sessions. Went one 3 hikes with the pup, total of about 6 miles.

Did NOTHING whatsoever on this one.

Goal 4: Sleep C

Making it to bed by around 11 (so an hour later) and feeling absolutely zonked upon waking, and generally ready to pass out by 4. I'm sure that the bright sunshine lasting until past 10pm now is a contributing factor. I need to start wearing my amber glasses and maybe sitting in my bedroom with the doors and windows fully closes for awhile with just enough light for reading if I actually want to wind down properly.

Lady cycle came and went, did one more set of hormone tests. I go in Wednesday for the last round of tests (for now) and then I should get some more info.

WEEK 4 SUCKED. WEEK 5 WAS PASSABLE. WEEK 6, SO FAR SO GOOD.

Also, finally getting in to see my doc next week about whether I have PCOS or not or whatever else. Additionally, my OPK thinks I'm actually ovulating this month, so maybe yay?

Also, painted a guest room and sold off a bunch more of my clutter. Still working this one.

Also, been doing trail/agility/obedience training with Meg.

My life is crazy right now.

Goal #1: A Sucker for the Little Sucker (Diet Overhall)

Goal:

BMR 1440, Goal calories on nonworkout days 1800, 2000 on workout days.
Calorie/macro tracking everyday! 
100 g carbs MAX, 100 g protein MIN, Fill in the rest with fat
100% paleo

Grade: C

I tried to eat more in line with paleo/primal. I tracked cals maybe 30% of the time, and when I did I stuck fairly close to goals. But ate plenty of junky stuff and not enough veggies. I will be revisiting this next challenge.

Goal #2: All those rippling pectorals (Workout Routine)

Goal: 1-2 lifting session & 1-2 CF sessions per week. Will also be walking/hiking with the pup and bike riding as the weather keeps improving.

Grade: D+ did one CF workout a week on average, no lifting for the last month. Ugh.

Goal #3: Everybody's Got a Weakness (Stress Reduction)

Goal is to do this meditation 3 times per week, and to do a Bible reading 3 times a week.

Grade: C. I did the meditation a total of about 5 times (almost once a week)  but I did do all my reading as intended.

Goal #4: Dreams are for rookies (Sleep!)

Goal is 6am wakeup time and in bed NLT 10pm on all worknights. I will allow more flexibility on off days if needed. I will also be trying to incorporate this 4-7-8 breathing technique so that when I go to bed at 10pm, it actually can mean 7-8 hours, not 6 hours because my mind kept racing forever.

Grade: C. Did this about 70% of the time. Improvement, but not where I need to be.

Overall Score: C-

Stats
Weight 144
Height 5'3 (just re-measured... I've been thinking I'm 5'2 for like 10 years)
BMI 25.5
Natural Waist 31
Waist @ Belly Button 35.5
Hips 40
Calves 14
Biceps 10.5
Bust 30.5/38
Thighs 23