I am doing these items this challenge:

foot and hip PT,

guitar and piano practice,

cooking and eating mindfully,

household chores,

bedtime routing,

NF and D&D.

I am experimenting with two hour blocks of time during the day. I have 6 of them that I can assign to anything I want of the above items, or a few others like drawing and socializing.

Quest:

Take Control of My Days

Implement a strategy for daily tasks and follow through with it for 6 weeks.

Get at least 80% on each goal for full points.

Goal 1

TRACK AND ANALYZE PT exercises - will analyze once per week. PT exercises are for everyday.

[plank, cobra, hands and knees hip raise, elevated bridges, side prone hip star, side prone bend, glutes and straight leg squeeze, DB squats, toe curls, arch raise, side toe pull, ankle band pull]

Award: +2 STR +2 DEX

Goal 2 -- EDIT -- Will now be emotions and beliefs without sugar junk food and when I eat.

LIST EMOTIONS AND BELIEFS about myself when I eat. Using mindfulness as a tool to be calm and curious about my feelings rather than harsh and critical. Will post twice a week on how it's going.

Award: +1 CHR +2 WIS

Goal 3

TRACK FOOD BUDGET - I'm spending too much on food. Meal planning will help as well as stock up cooking. I haven't done either very much so it will be interesting to see how they work for me.

Award: +2 WIS

Goal 4

STAY IN THE MOMENT!

Use alarms to signal beginning of each 2 hour block. This will help me stay active with things and not have to worry about how much time has gone by or is left. I did this with visiting and it really made a difference in my enjoyment level.

Award: +5 CHR

Side Quest Goal:

MEMORIZE CHORDS on the guitar.

Award: +1 Bard Skills!

331452-Bard,%20Dungeons%20And%20Dragons,

• Like 5

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

W0 D2

Really nice day - Vermont weather and my mood. :moon:

Goal #1 PT exercises

Good solid start to getting all my PT exercises in for the day. I added the side bends and that feels like it rounds out my core exercises better.

Workout:

5 mins recumbent bike level 7

lat pulldown 90# 1x5, 100# 1x5, 110# 1x5 (last 2 were crap, but it's a good place for me)

bench 75# 3x5 1x3 (crappy form on this one, but good weight)

deadlift 100# 1x3 150# 3x3 !! WOOT

goblet squats 35# 2x5, 45# 1x5

reverse fly - seated 30# 3x5 (will do 40# next time)

DB -- OHP/Bicep curls - 10# each alternating 3x10x2 (need to go up to 15#)

Elevated bridges 3x10

plank 30 sec 20 sec 15 sec

cobra/prone side bends (x2) 3x10 on elevated crunch bench level 1

tricep push downs 80# 3x10

racquetball mobility on neck and skull (very nice!)

Goal #2 Emotions and Beliefs

* Thought I'd try the write up today and see if it works for me.

About an hour after my workout, I bought a subway 6" chicken and ham on herb and cheese with spinach, tomatoes, onions, and mayo (299 cal). I had a grab bag size of Baked Lays (180) and a 20 oz bottle of water -- I felt really relaxed and was wondering if this sandwich was a better idea than the beef eater I get at the coffee shop - price-wise. About half way through, I figured there were too many useless carbs so maybe no chips next time. It was a food that really hit the spot taste-wise.

Later at home, I had 2 slices of peanut butter toast on pepperidge farms white bread (415) with all natural Skippy peanut butter. I also partook of about 1/2 tbsp of PB while waiting for the toast (incl above). The toast was tasty and filling. No negative thoughts with this. I also had another 2 cups of water. I was curious if I was getting enough calories for what I had burned already today. According to FitBit, I had burned 1,000 calories without weight training taken into account so I was doing okay so far. That felt reassuring.

This evening I have had 1 chocolate chip cliff bar (240), 3 dove milk chocolate bars (690), and loads more water. I was thinking and still am a bit about how to get lower amounts of sugar in me without waking the monster. I think I want to get to where I'mm having one dessert/candy a week. I did it years ago with little problem and that was before I started really working on my health.

Overall: happy with a few nervous worries.

Goal #3 Food Budget

Well, Subway isn't that much cheaper than the coffee shop beef eater so that's not a go-to. I really want to be able to reduce my eating at the coffee shop. It's expensive and I want to be cooking the same meal for myself at home (I have done it a few times and it's good).

Goal #4 Stay in the Moment

Wow, I did really well with this today. I caught myself several times wondering about, whatever, and brought myself back to the moment. As the day went along, it got harder to do as my energy level drained. Good to remember that and not put a crap load of pressure on me in the evenings.

Side Quest Chords

ah? I know the following chords without having to double check:

GM, D 7th, CM, Em, G 7th

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Looks a little light on the bbq sauce, but looks good and healthy!

It was definitely short on bbq sauce! lol

I am going to cut the dough in half next time so it will be thinner and smaller. I tend to eat all of the pizza in one day. Working on not doing that, but until then, it's smaller pizzas.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Great challenge with good strong goals.

Love that pizza, by the way!

• Like 1

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Great challenge with good strong goals.

Love that pizza, by the way!

I'm on day 2 of block time - it's pretty good. Taking notes (gotta get them jotted down) to see what tweaks I'll make in a week.

Tanks!

I just loved doing it. I'm gonna try it again next week. I'll make two, like I mentioned above.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

W0 D3

I did 5 of my 7 two hour blocks today. Kinda tired today, but still feeling up.

Goal #1 PT exercises

Got these done although I forgot to do the bent knee fall out and the transverse abdominus activation.

Went through some good points today in therapy around the last three months.

Goal #3 Food Budget

ate at home! +1

did not go to dinner with friends when invited because I have already had too many calories +1

Will split dough in half to make two pizzas which will save the wallet a bit.

I did this pretty well today. I did notice however that after therapy is when I had my chocolate and that's when the sugar crash led to a short nap. All of that time block was non reality time if you ask me. Hence not getting all my blocks in today.

Side Quest Chords

reviewed chords this morning - did pretty well

will be memorizing 2 chords this evening before bed

Nice day, I'm felling it. Yay.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

W0 D4

I'm posting early as my mood has taken a dip and I'm only partially understanding it.

Goal #1 PT exercises

Did these during my workout this morning. Good and Sweaty!

I was feeling good this morning and my time at the gym was good as well.

I got home and cooked up some chicken and carrots and ate that with gusto.

I spent 2 harsh hours trying to decipher my business taxes. It was a huge headache and the start of my mood swing.

I went out to walk around and head to the store for the rest of the week's food.

I bought 3 small ice cube chocolates and 1 tiny package of Smarties, had a quick visit with a friend while she was working, and then went to the store.

I ate the ice cubes while visiting and they went quickly. I ate 3 pieces of the Smarties and practically gagged on them. They were gross and I chucked them out at the next trash can. When I threw them out, I know on the surface I was giggling about how nasty they were, but something else was happening that wasn't as fun/nice where my conscious could not pick it up.

I was at the store and made my meal plan for the next 4 days and went around buying what I needed which wasn't a lot as I was using up what I had at home (+1). I got to the candy aisle and spent at least ten minutes trying to decide what I wanted. You know that uncomfortable feeling you get when you know you're gonna buy something you really don't want to, but you have already decided you're not strong enough today to fight it? Well, yeah, that was going on. I bought the medium size bag of PB M&Ms (approx. 11 oz). I knew I would eat them all in one sitting, but I couldn't stop myself and was even trying to be 'smart' about which candy to buy: the least amount of oz, fewer sugars, little sodium, etc... It's this ploy that comes up when I'm trying to convince myself this is a needed step in the process. Maybe it is, but if the feelings can't come to the surface while I'm making the decision, then how do I make the best decision? I can't.

I managed to convince my sugar eater that I first was going to practice guitar and then we could eat the M&Ms. That way I wouldn't crash during my practice. It agreed, but I wonder just how much. Why? Because my practice was kinda shitty. It's the worst one I've had. I spent most of the time, demanding that I already know how to do things I've barely practiced yet (moving from one chord to the next smoothly on the fretboard). I stopped ealy (only did about 25 minutes or so) and sat in front of my computer, filled a cup of water and grabbed the M&Ms like they would somehow extinguish the moodiness inside. Well, that didn't happen.

I wrote up my D&D stuff and posted it - but I wasn't feeling it like I have been. Mood still slipping.

Then I talk with my B on the phone and he's coming to see me on Saturday, yay. But when I went back to the computer, I slipped down again, unable to feel the pleasure of B's call.

I watch videos on Youtube and ended up watching a depressing/dark mini-series type videos. It went through three 15 minute vids before realizing I wasn't doing myself any favors with my choice of vid.

Now I'm here posting about all this and I wonder what I can do to move past this dip in the day. The sugar crash is definitely at the gate so a nap may happen, not sure. I might try taking a walk as it's still pretty decent out even though we got wet snow last night. I just don't want to rumminate on bad shite while walking around. Perhaps I can get my headphones and play boosting up music???

So yeah, that's where i am at this very moment.

Goal #3 Food Budget

ate at home! +1

I spent $20.70 on food for the rest of the week, not including sugars as I eat them all before I go to bed that night.

The ham was expensive ($8.99/lb -- I got 0.4 lb = $3.60), also the cheese was up there a bit ($9.99/lb -- I got 0.25 lb = $2.50 But it's a garlic, cheddar! nom nom) This is the price I will be paying for 2 grilled cheese and ham sandwiches tomorrow night.

It's going alright although I suspect it will get more difficult as the night wears on. I want to continue doing the blocks as they are keeping me active in that I'm not getting stuck doing one thing that slowly moves from a productive to a wasteful use of energy.

Side Quest Chords

reviewed chords -- I had a hard time focusing on this during practice as I was getting use to the bigger size guitar and working on my chord movement on my fret hand. It's really in a baby state as I haven't found the confidence to just go for it and see where my fingers end up. I want to be perfect first and then mess around! Well, that doesn't work! haha

I am adding A, Bmi6, and FMa6 to my other known ones so I have 1 from each letter. No bs or #s yet.

I'll stop in later tonight and say hey to folks. TIme to turn this ship around!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Congratulations4.png

To Me

Terinatum just ran!

That's right. First time in months. I went out for that walk, mentioned above, to get my head cleared and boom: Just started running. Threw my RunKeeper on and went. I walked several times, trying to stay at no more than 12 good breaths before starting to run again. My feet did quite well. Bunions didn't hurt, achilles definitely sinking inward, and a little regular soreness on the balls of my feet, because hell it's been awhile! HA!!

Stats:

Distance: 2.12 miles

Duration: 30:59

Avg. MPH: 4.10

Calories Burned: 312

I'm feeling really badass right now!

Way to conquer the woah-is-me's.

• Like 5

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

W0 D5

So today taught me a few things.

1. doing all 6 blocks make Teri a sleepy kiddo. Took a nap for the last two days. I am going to redefine my goals for the blocks. Do 3 blocks per day for 2 weeks, do 4 blocks for 2 weeks, do 5 blocks for 1 week, and finish up with 6 blocks in week 6!

2. Approaching in a good mood is so important in keeping my patience with people going throughout the whole visit.

3. Guitar practice is good, even if my fingers hurt and moving from chord to chord isn't happening too well right now.

4. I am capable.

Goal #1 PT

not yet, want to get those done before going back to bad!

Interesting work with sugar today. Feeling pretty decent about where I am in my food life. Still eating at home for the most part. Yay.

Goal #3 Food Budget

I spent $3 on snacks at the VA vs. buying a nasty meal at the cafeteria. Good call.

No other spending! Yay!

Harder today as my tiredness kept me nodding off until I finally went to bed to take a nap. Doing well now so the nap worked nicely.

Side Quest Chords

I have been putting work into my A a lot, Bmi6 a little bit, and FMa6 can suck it! lol 

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

W0 D6

My boy B is here so it's all good. I went to the gym and got a good sweat on and now I can chill with my guitar and catch up with Nerds while B goes to see some of his buds from high school. 

Goal#1 PT

I did a few PT exercises at the gym during my workout. I need to finish them up tonight. I did do the PT exercises last night so that follow-through is encouraging.

Goal #2 and #3 Emotions and Food Budget

I had a 1.44 oz Dove chocolate bar and a 1.63 oz pack of PB M&Ms before the gym ($2 and change for both). I also had my beef eater breakfast from the coffee shop (had brekkie with B, but likely would have bought my own anyway, not sure though ($33 for both).

I feel kinda okay, but not exactly where I want to be with sugar foods. I don't suspect I'll be losing weight like I did last year, sugar or not, as I'm at a weight that is challenging me to have a lot less calories per day than I'm use to. Going from 3,000 to 2,000 was tough, but going from 1,800 to 1,200 is going to be really rough. Already it feels like I'm starving myself when I know I'm not. I want to be in charge of my food intake, but it feels very touchy right now. Not sure how long I can compromise with the sugar-monster, but I believe I need to get to a similar place that made it possible to quit cold turkey back in June.

I added up my week's receipts and realized I hadn't spent quite as much as I had thought I did. I spent approx. $67 this week. I want to get where I'm budgeting my shopping before I go!  lol

Goal #4 In the Moment

I've been in both today. I watched a movie with B, but also spent a lot of time thinking about possible futures. Not sure it did me any good as I have no new ideas or plans to consider. There were mostly fantasy thoughts. Not likely to come to pass.

Goal #5 Chords

Doing that next. I will conquer at least one of the chords I'm learning now. Probably A.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I need a guitar neck I can walk around with so I can practice my chord placements and changing them. I need more practice in this before moving on to something that doesn't give me time to do that. In other words, I've been bailing a bit on that part of the practice! That's a no-no to me. So no more of that T, a'ight? Yes, ma'am!

Yesterday's workout summary.

5 mins rowing machine

Bench -- 75# 3x5 (getting better)

Goblet Squats -- 30# 1x5, 45# 2x5

Deadlift -- 100# 1x5, 150# 3x5 (sloppy form a few times! Need to focus on each lift damn it!)

Inverted rows -- chest height chin ups 3x10

Planks & Cobras -- 1x3 for 30 secs each, 3x10

Incline fly -- #16 1x10, #20 2x10

Tricep pulldown -- 80# 2x10, 70# 1x10 (last 2 reps were messy)

Bicep Curl -- 50# 3x8 (last set was iffy form-wise and hard! lol )

mobility on adductors (threat of cramping kept me from doing more PT exercises)

* good sweat -- successful workout

weigh ins lately are not encouraging. sugar is going to be limited even more if not completely starting today. If sugar monster can't do it well, then it's bye-bye to sugar junk much sooner than it had hoped.

B and I watched 3 movies yesterday! I can't remember the last time I did that! Iron Man III, 2 Guns, and The Guardians of the Galaxy. I hadn't seen Guardians before, I was a lot of fun!

Starting new gig today (around noon).

Let's see how my block work works during work. haha I had to, you know that.

Cheers for now.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

W0 D7

Well, today is winding to a close for me. I did pretty well all in all.

Goal #1 PT

Nope. Damn just realized that as I wrote 'goal #1!' Damn it.

Goal #2 Emotions

Wow. I ate a crap load of sugar today. Partly because I had decided to go to 1 dessert per week. I let the sugar monster have a few sugars, but a inch and a mile are the same for said SugarMonster so... I had a lot. I was finishing up a batch of toll house cookies (all but 7 of 24 of them) and realized I had no other choice. i walked outside, 2 confused puppies following me, okay not me, the plate! I looked up into the night sky seeing several stars with no moon and I sent prayers out to the Great Mystery.

*** "I can't do this anymore. My world is covered with this sugar. No more." I throw a cookie over the fence into the brush and trees. "I don't want this in my life, ever again." Another cookie thrown. "I can't do this without you and my allies." Two cookies hurled over the fence. "I don't want to live like this, this is not me." A small cookie gone. "It starts now, because no other time exists right now." The biggest one I think went next into the shadows. "I am not ever going to have this fear of my emotions again. I am connected to what truly counts. Me and the universe." The last cookie I threw so hard it came apart after I let go. At least three pieces landed on the ground on the other side of the fence. Curse broken? Yes. Curse broken.***

Goal #3 Food Budget

Well the sugar junk food didn't do my budget any favors! I think I spent around $8 on junk this afternoon.

Goal #4 In the Moment

Yeah, I'd say I did alright today. Games, yes. TV, no. Surfing the net, no. Day dreaming, some.

Goal #5 Chords

HA! I got 2 chord changes right. Well, my fingers were in the right place. It just didn't really sound like a D7! haha But it's a great feeling to get that right. Makes it easier to practice again tomorrow, and tomorrow!

Alrighty then, night Nerds. See you on the first day of the challenge! To our Aussie pals, thanks for getting us started!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Sub'd! Excited to see how your blocking method turns out - it's a trick I might steel if it proves helpful :D

Lucky winner that got me to page 2 of my thread! lol

It's so far at least been a good reminder of the passing hours without feeling like the day is dragging or flying by. That in itself is like gold for me. Being able to track the passing of time is really important to one that too often hid from time and reality in order to cope.

If I get more than this, by all means play copy-cat!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I am familiar with that sugar monster you are fighting.  I have discovered that I can't outrun it, or outbike it, or outswim it.  It has to confronted.  It will always be there, but some piece that you feel comfortable with must be reached.  I find availability is the problem.  If I don't have it around, I don't eat it.  Pretty straight forward.  Probably have to borrow advice from AA as to ways to approach the sugar monster (and no, I am not kidding).  

Side note, 1200 calories a day?  I think my BMR is 1100 calories!  If you are excersizing, and constantly hungry, your body is telling you something.  1200 might be unrealistic, though I wonder where you would end up calorie wise if you subbed veggies and dill dip for chocolate and peanut butter?  I am sure this is something you know, but maybe an obnoxious know-it-all pointing it out might add weight?

• Like 3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

I am familiar with that sugar monster you are fighting.  I have discovered that I can't outrun it, or outbike it, or outswim it.  It has to confronted.  It will always be there, but some piece that you feel comfortable with must be reached.  I find availability is the problem.  If I don't have it around, I don't eat it.  Pretty straight forward.  Probably have to borrow advice from AA as to ways to approach the sugar monster (and no, I am not kidding).  

Definitely an interesting way to look at it, I really like it.

Found this looking for a similar perspective from http://naturalweightlosstruth.com/3-tips-can-learn-getting-sugar:

Would you think about telling an alcoholic: “you know, you should be able to have a drink or two, as long as it’s in moderation.”?  I’d sincerely hope not.  Why, then, is it so common to sabotage ourselves with the same rationale on something loaded with sugar?

• Like 2

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

You are both very much in the same frame of mind as I am.. now. haha

I have always considered it an addiction, but have more often claimed self-medicating as a viable, for-now, step in the process. And before last June it was. I wasn't ready to quit, but that has changed. I quit June 7th and didn't touch, or want to touch, sugar junk food.

An emotional trigger hit me at the end of last year and I broke down and had sugar without even a thought of how I would get back on my wagon. The trigger had been dealt with or at least I thought it was until last night. I had actually never come to terms with the 'damage' to my ego. The damage isn't real in a sense that it scarred me, but I never let myself feel the full affect of losing out. Last night I let that out and prayed hard (whilst throwing fresh baked chocolate chip cookies over the fence).

I have found my ego intake and it has a relaxation to it that has not been felt since last year. So now, wanting sugar junk is an action of my addicted brain chemistry and shouldn't have a lot of emotional baggage involved.

Side note, 1200 calories a day?  I think my BMR is 1100 calories!  If you are exercising, and constantly hungry, your body is telling you something.  1200 might be unrealistic, though I wonder where you would end up calorie wise if you subbed veggies and dill dip for chocolate and peanut butter?  I am sure this is something you know, but maybe an obnoxious know-it-all pointing it out might add weight?

Ha, yeah, pointing it out definitely helps, thank you.
My calories are definitely not working well at 1200/day. I want to total up my 'regular meals' and figure out a ballpark figure of calories burned when I go to the gym. Put all that together and I can find a good number to use. Probably 1500 or so. Dunno yet.

Definitely an interesting way to look at it, I really like it.

Found this looking for a similar perspective from http://naturalweightlosstruth.com/3-tips-can-learn-getting-sugar:

Would you think about telling an alcoholic: “you know, you should be able to have a drink or two, as long as it’s in moderation.”?  I’d sincerely hope not.  Why, then, is it so common to sabotage ourselves with the same rationale on something loaded with sugar?

It's a good list on that site, B. Thank you.
I was in a 17 year relationship and the 2 siblings in-law (?) are lifelong addicts. I learned a lot from them and the family I inherited. I need to let in some of that wisdom and truth I found and put it to good use for me.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way