Tavern (Q's & Chat)

Teros

I'm breaking my rule about getting on this forum only in the morning because I have a question with a bit of a deadline and I want to get it up while I'm actually thinking about it.

First of all... I am not fast strong.

Baymax-Poster-e1416440487417.jpg

I'm not exactly warrior-tough.  But I'm falling in love with my kettlebell.  After reading the NF blog article about turning our challenges into boss fights I thought I'd try to sign up for a real training session with the things at a real gym... with REAL PEOPLE!  I've read a book, some articles, watched videos on form... but I feel like without having someone check on me I could still be doing things very very poorly... leading to injury.  

Ain't nobody got time for that.

So there I was all excited about making the call when my friend reminded me that there are about 100 different methods to swing this thing on youtube, most of which look like they would injure me, and there is no knowing what kind of form these people recommend.  It's a cross fit place, too, and I've heard they swing much higher than I'm interested in swinging.  I really respect the people who own it, though, I just know nothing of their kettlebelling practices specifically.

So... should I call and cancel?  Do I go and just take it all in with a grain of salt?  I'm against posting videos of myself online where anyone can see them... so that rules out the form check forum thing...  That's why I was considering going to a gym in the first place!  What's a Nerd to do?

***I'm back on with an edit.  I felt like that last post sounded pretty prideful of me - as though I could have nothing to learn from someone at a gym if they don't teach this stuff exactly the way I think it should be done.  That's not how I was trying to come off!  I know I have a lot to learn and there is a good chance that someone who does this for a living will have a lot to teach me... I just thought my friend had a valid point and wanted to bounce it off of all you here.  Hope this comes across correctly...

1 Tim 4:7-8 "...train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value,

godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."

Current Challenge: ... this feature is still loading ...

Previous Challenges: Commiting to CommitUnashamedCoping through HopingChillaxes

I'm breaking my rule about getting on this forum only in the morning because I have a question with a bit of a deadline and I want to get it up while I'm actually thinking about it.

First of all... I am not fast strong.

Baymax-Poster-e1416440487417.jpg

I'm not exactly warrior-tough.  But I'm falling in love with my kettlebell.  After reading the NF blog article about turning our challenges into boss fights I thought I'd try to sign up for a real training session with the things at a real gym... with REAL PEOPLE!  I've read a book, some articles, watched videos on form... but I feel like without having someone check on me I could still be doing things very very poorly... leading to injury.  

Ain't nobody got time for that.

So there I was all excited about making the call when my friend reminded me that there are about 100 different methods to swing this thing on youtube, most of which look like they would injure me, and there is no knowing what kind of form these people recommend.  It's a cross fit place, too, and I've heard they swing much higher than I'm interested in swinging.  I really respect the people who own it, though, I just know nothing of their kettlebelling practices specifically.

So... should I call and cancel?  Do I go and just take it all in with a grain of salt?  I'm against posting videos of myself online where anyone can see them... so that rules out the form check forum thing...  That's why I was considering going to a gym in the first place!  What's a Nerd to do?

***I'm back on with an edit.  I felt like that last post sounded pretty prideful of me - as though I could have nothing to learn from someone at a gym if they don't teach this stuff exactly the way I think it should be done.  That's not how I was trying to come off!  I know I have a lot to learn and there is a good chance that someone who does this for a living will have a lot to teach me... I just thought my friend had a valid point and wanted to bounce it off of all you here.  Hope this comes across correctly...

You def need someone to check your KB form imo. You could really hurt yourself otherwise...or just be doing nothing much for your body.

I first used a KB in crossfit, and it really taught me the fundamentals...especially thrusting with my hips instead of using my arms to get the KB up. We also learned a ton of great KB exercises. I no longer CF but I use KB at my gym and learn new things online to do with the KB. It won't hurt you to try to gain more knowledge.

• Like 1

I don't really do social media either :( Facebook is a waste of time. I'd rather be reading a book.

I ditched all the other social media in favor of NF.  That's why I mentioned that.  Most people are glued to facebook but I can't stand it.

I would go, take it with a grain of salt, and just let them know when you get there (before class starts) that you're new and want to really really really take it slow.  It's not like you can't just get a weight lower in kettelbell than you're used to.  Let's say you're used to 10 lbs. When you're testing/learning at the gym, you could always use 5 lbs just in case.

Plus, once you've gone, you'll have the basics down and if you want to try another gym-  you can compare/contrast.  Don't let a possible fear rule you.

• Like 1

So I spoke to the gym folks on the phone yesterday and I'm going to call back to set something up for next week.  ::SquEEE!::

Also, random question:  How do people put that "spoiler" section into their posts?  

• Like 1

1 Tim 4:7-8 "...train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value,

godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."

I found it!  "

"  followed by the closing tag with one of these "/"

• Like 1