Hiroro Digs in her Heels

Hiroro

Look at all those checks! 

And weights + Spin class? Go, you! Kick ass! :)

I know, kinda can't believe it when so recently I struggled to get to the gym ONCE a week.

Um, yeah, that is killer! Look at you with your mad energy levels!

And talk about timing with the steak vs pasta situation... Winner!

Wanna do a step challenge this weekend?

YES! For sure. Bring it!

What a fabulous start to the week! That's awesome that you jumped into a spin class after lifting weights, and that you got the Pack goal done and done early on. Even better that you liked Zumba and want to go again! Keep it up and Week 2 will be perfection!

Thanks, I feel pretty good about it. Nice to start the week off with a bang.

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

timber_wolf_pup_swp_051207_084_copy_zpsa

I'm probably a slower runner than this guy

Week 2 Day 3

Carnivore - CHECK

Breakfast: mushroom egg muffins wrapped in prosciutto <--yum

Lunch: breaded chicken, bell peppers

Snack: Avocado (a whole one, with salt)

Dinner: Steak, roasted asparagus w/mustard

Dessert: chocolate-chia pudding

Predator - CHECK

#2 Stronglifts

I was thinking about doing more, but the hunger pushed me out  of the gym, ha.

Pack - Done

(Spin)

Lifequest - Joy - CHECK

Finished the book, and made the chocolate chia pudding. It was yummy, except...my homemade coconut milk gave it an INTENSE coconut flavor. Would try again with almond milk.

-----

Today is going to be a bit off-track...came home early because my digestive system is acting up. Might just eat whatever I feel like. The problem is that with stomach discomfort it's hard to tell what's goin on in there, so I end up eating whatever I can convince myself to eat. Typically not healthy. (see Week 1 Day 6).

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Thanks Xena...yeah I get really into the fights haha. Having some martial arts background means I can sorta follow what's going on during the wrestling portions...so hardcore. They're all crazy fit and determined.

wolf.jpg

Poor choices make me feel contemplative

Week 1 Day 4

Yeesh. I ate all the things.

Quest 1: Carnivore - 2/3

Breakfast: egg muffins w/mushrooms and prosciutto, coffee

Lunch: rice, fish eggs, avocado

Dinner: truffle parmesan popcorn, red wine, Kraft mac and cheese

Quest 2: Predator - NOPE

Skipped my workout because I wasn't feeling well

Quest 3: Pack - done for Week 2

Lifequest: Joy - done for Week 2

The description of what I ate does not adequately describe the meltdown that happened last night. On the upside, I tossed the rest of the popcorn...I ran out of paper bags for microwaving and could have bought more, but in last night's Academy Q&A Stacy said that corn is one of the hardest things to digest so...bye-bye popcorn.

Week 2 Day 5

Quest 1: Carnivore - 1/3

Breakfast: Leftover mac and cheese

Lunch: fish eggs and rice, bell peppers

Snacks: cookie, scone

Dinner: GF cheese bread

Quest 2: Predator - CHECK

#3 Stronglifts workout.

Found that overhead press with barbell is hard on my wrist (which has a cyst in it), but dumbells seem to work fine. Easy substitute.

Quest 3: Pack - done

Lifequest: Joy - done

Looking at the past couple days in black and white, it's actually reassuring to see that even though I made a lot of poor choices, I also made a few good ones. I don't feel like I'm giving up or failing, just finding re-evaluation is necessary. Though I'm not completely forbidding anything from my diet, I have decided to institute a new rule: no more bringing home cheese (or anything cheese-flavored). I still may have a bit of cheese at a restaurant, but having it around the house means that's what I reach for first.

This weekend I'll probably hit Whole Foods, so if they have the brand of nut cheese I like then will probably grab a couple packs. The nut cheese (Kite Hill brand) is actually very natural, rather than a bunch of sketchy ingredients smooshed together in an imitation of real cheese. Because it's expensive, it will be easy to consider the Kite Hill a treat...preventing me from just substituting an addiction. I find having Paleo options for non-Paleo foods to be helpful, because even though I don't often make use of them (aka make my own crackers every day), it eases the anxiety I get thinking about NEVER eating something again.

Weekend plan

Tomorrow I'm planning a pretty major hike (7 miles, which is far longer than I've gone) as training for the really big hikes I want to do this year (MOUNTAINS, people). 

Then going into work for the afternoon.

Sunday I'll be going to an art & craft show, farmer's market, Whole foods, prepping food for the week. Will have to restrain my wallet. Optional rest day.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Your weekend sounds awesome! I'm officially forfeiting our studio contest though - maybe if it were nice out but I'm not waking 7 minutes in the snow!

Glad you found some good out of the meltdown... I'm sure that mental shift will help going forward :)

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Lol Fonzico you issued the challenge! Next time :) I certainly won't be walking this far every weekend.

Today's hike was amazing, 3.5hrs 7miles MADE IT TO THE TOP! Of Strawberry Peak in Socal. I did it on my own, the last portion was really tough (a lot of climbing/scrambling). Definitely made me realize that I'm not ready for the more advanced hikes, will have to work through some of these intermediate ones first. I decided I love solo hiking because I can go whatever pace I want and stop whenever I want. And zone out without feeling obligated to be social hah.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Wow, I just realized how riddled with errors my last post was... I will fight a losing battle, however!

Awesome job with the hike, that sounds amazing! Great job teaching the summit!

I'm thinking standing step challenge every weekend?

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

Ooohhh. Hiking! That sounds like a great hike :) 

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

wolves_0.jpg

Week 2 Day 6

Quest 1: Carnivore - 1.5/2

Breakfast: skipped (I tried to eat breakfast and just couldn't. Maybe stomach was too sensitive after last night)

Snacks: Epic bar (eating at the top of the mountain!), roasted spiced nuts, potato chips (so ravenous after hike)

Lunch: fish eggs, rice (in the afternoon)

Dinner: steak w/butter, asparagus, red wine

Quest 2: Predator - YUP

Hike was amazing but so hard. In my head I figured I could hike anything with enough time, but partway up I realized...the reason climbing mountains is used as metaphor for overchoming obstacles is because it is HARD lol. Was very proud to have made it all the way up and down on my own...still am. May take tomorrow off.

Quest 3 Pack - done

Week 2 Day 7

Quest 1: Carnivore - .1/3

Breakfast: Chicken and waffles, biscuit

Lunch: potstickers, beef roll, soup dumplings

Dinner: italian sub w/mayo

Snack: nut cheese + GF crackers

The gluten made me feel bloated, but I'm realizing if I keep dairy out of the equation or minimize it then I'm unlikely to feel nearly as terrible.

Quest 2: Predator - rest day

Still got in 10k steps though

The weekend eating was't great...have to work on figuring out what is actually 'worth it' to me. I want to experience all the amazing food of LA (several more months left), but also want to meet my goals. 

Over the last few weeks I've bought so much food that my fridge and pantry are bursting, so have to work on using that stuff up. Mostly awesome Paleo groceries, like superfresh fish (sushi grade!). And some Paleo treats like GF pasta and the nut cheese. Planning to use the treats to supplement meals rather than replace them (even though I really do want to eat a big bowl of pasta...).

This week I'm planning to focus on my diet goal and replace coffee and wine with tea on weekdays. Excited for progress!

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Which hike did you end up doing? I'm in the process of scheduling a few more so I"ll message you with dates/locations as soon as i get everything figured out!

There are a ton of types of tea that can replace coffee/wine. I have way to many (in my boyfriend's opinion) but maybe keeping a few different types will help?

I've found black tea (earl grey, lady grey etc) helps replace coffee for me, then I switch to green or herbal throughout the rest of the day. If you're using loose (whole) leaf green tea, you can make 4-7 cups with the same leaves (and most of the caffeine is gone by cup 2)

Looks like you're doing great!

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

Which hike did you end up doing? I'm in the process of scheduling a few more so I"ll message you with dates/locations as soon as i get everything figured out!

There are a ton of types of tea that can replace coffee/wine. I have way to many (in my boyfriend's opinion) but maybe keeping a few different types will help?

I've found black tea (earl grey, lady grey etc) helps replace coffee for me, then I switch to green or herbal throughout the rest of the day. If you're using loose (whole) leaf green tea, you can make 4-7 cups with the same leaves (and most of the caffeine is gone by cup 2)

Looks like you're doing great!

I did the Strawberry Peak hike! It was awesome but so hard. I saw your message, will take a look. 

Haha I am queen of tea collecting (and chocolate collecting, and now wine collecting....yeesh I have a pantry hoarder problem). Can't stand black heh, but I love green. Been doing yerba mate the last couple days, and would do green tea and rooibos later. My main problem is that I've fallen in love with wine over the past months, ha.

Good to know that the caffeine fades fast, I was wondering about that.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Week 2 Wrapup

Quest 1: Carnivore - 14.5/20

Quest 2: Predator - 5/6 workouts completed

Pretty thrilled with this. I missed one run because I wasn't feeling well but overall last week was strong, culminating in Saturday's 7mi hike.

Quest 3: Pack - completed

Lifequest: Joy - completed

Made the pudding, read a book.

Overall a good week, but my diet prevented me from making physical progress.

jumping_wolf_800x499.jpg

Week 3 Day 1

Quest 1: Carnivore - 3/3

Breakfast: roast beef w/mayo + avocado

Snack: roasted nuts, bell peppers

Lunch: hot dogs, green beans w/butter

Dinner: salmon sashimi, cucumber-avocado salad, nut cheese, GF crackers, GF pasta w/butter and EVOO

After: wine

So I got in my protein and vegetables, but was insanely hungry starting mid-afternoon...amazingly

Quest 2: Predator - nope

Planned to lift, but went straight home to eat all the things.

Quest 3: Pack - nope

Lifequest: Joy - 1/2

I made the cucumber-avocado salad, which was a new recipe. It was very nice but not something I feel driven to make again. 

Monday was...weird. I was hungry all afternoon and rushed home to eat. By that time the hunger had morphed into hunger/pain. I ate and ate and as the hunger faded, the pain faded. The pasta (whole package) was overkill, but after the fullness passed I felt completely better. Planned to eat more on Tuesday as experiment.

Week 3 Day 2

Quest 1: Carnivore - 2/3

Breakfast: hot dogs, green beans, butter

Snack: bell peppers

Lunch: salmon sashimi, cucumber-avocado salad

Dinner: nut cheese, GF crackers, GF pasta w/EVOO + butter, chocolate sorbet

Major stomach pain in the afternoon. Felt better after eating.

Came home feeling totally crappy. Turned out to be allergies.

Quest 3: Pack - nope

Lifequest: Joy - no progress

Not a great start to the week. Clearly I have trouble turning to healthier foods when my stomach is acting up. I could try just not eating when my stomach hurts...not sure if that's a better option. This week I have gluten and dairy free options on hand, but I still end up eating too much. Need to figure out how to deal with my stomach issues and stay on track.

On the plus side, I haven't worked out in three days, and I feel awful! Which sounds like a negative, but it means I've adapted to the point where gym-going is my new norm. My body craves it.

Here's hoping tomorrow turns out better.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

What is up with the stomach pain/hunger? That sounds like the pits. 

Butt.... good going on the workout craving! Way to turn a corner with that. 

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

Give in to the cravings! (Wait, I mean the workout ones. Not the other ones. lol)

I'm sure I don't know the half of it, but I can definitely relate to only wanting not-so-healthy foods when my stomach is off - what a backwards instinct that one is, eh?

Level 20

Thanks guys. When I walked into the gym today, I was excited to be there. How bout that.

flying_wolf_by_mayhwolf-d6ut228.png

Week 3 Day 3

Breakfast: 4 scrambled eggs w/half avocado, 1/2T butter

Snack: handful bell peppers

Lunch: 2 grass-fed hot dogs, Steamfresh broccoli, 1/2T butter

-few bites trout

Dinner: ribeye steak w/butter, a few brussels sprouts

Dessert. large glass wine, bowl chocolate sorbet w/strawberries

Not perfect, but solid. If I'd gone with the wine or the sorbet then I think I'd call it optimal for me.

Stronglifts completed.

Quest 3: Pack - not yet

Have to plan ahead to figure out when I'm going to get this done...

Still need to finish a book.

The allergy medication I took today made a world of difference. Still had an unsteady stomach, but not enough to knock me off course. 

I read a quote today: 'Truly deciding means leaving behind every other alternative'

That really struck home for me (though the context was personal finance) because I'm a great planner...but not a great committer. Even though I've been doing Paleo on and off for a couple years now, I haven't fully committed to this lifestyle, to not going back to the way I used to eat. I haven't fully committed to saving money as aggressively as I dream of. I haven't fully committed to seeking my most dynamic, active, vibrant self. I'm a dabbler, a back-and-forth-er...I didn't realize that my indecisiveness has been weighing me down, because fear of failure kept me from wholeheartedly throwing myself into a course of action. 

For the month of May my goal is to meditate daily, in the morning and evening. For at least a minute to start, hopefully building up to five or ten. I hope that meditation will help me to let go of the Katie who can eat a whole loaf of bread with butter, who goes for weeks at a time without breaking a sweat, who during the slow times doesn't put in effort at work. Those alternatives exist, but it is my choice to instead be the Katie who cooks healthy food daily, who is getting stronger constantly, challenging myself even when my environment doesn't challenge me.

Enough rambling. Bedtime.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Whoop!

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

tumblr_n2i6jjpCcm1rk4afvo4_400.gif

Week 3 Day 4

Breakfast - 4 eggs, 1/2 avocado, butter

Snack - Peppers

Lunch - 2 hot dogs, butter, broccoli

Dinner - Trout w/lime + EVOO, 1/2 avocado

+a few strawberries

Went to Zumba!

Quest 3: Pack - CHECK

see above. Such sweaty dancing.

Week 3 Day 5

Quest 1: Carnivore - 6/6

Breakfast - 3 eggs, butter, 1/2 avocado

Snack - peppers (counting as part of lunch)

Lunch - 2 omusubi (tuna-mayo, beef-onion), almond chai latte

Dinner - crab w/butter, steamed veg

After - white wine, mortadella, nut cheese w/GF crackers

No workout

Went into LA to hang out with the cuz, left work early.

Week 3 Day 6

Quest 1: Carnivore - 3/6

Snack - nut cheese, GF crackers, kombucha

Brunch - pork belly hash w/eggs, brussels sprouts

Snack - almond milk latte, candy samples, iced tea

Dinner - nut cheese, GF crackers, mortadella, salami, prosciutto, couple dark choc hazelnuts

Went to yoga. Very relaxing.

Week 3 Day 7

Quest 1: Carnivore - 1/4

Brunch - Duck confit hash w/eggs, slice bread, iced tea, espresso w/sugar cube

After - kombucha

Dinner - GF crackers, nut cheese, pear, few dark choc hazelnuts

Quest 2: Pack - done

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Week 3 Wrapup

Quest 1: Carnivore - 21/28

Not great, not terrible. Went kinda...nuts with the nut cheese.

Quest 2: Predator - 3 workouts completed

Again, not great, not terrible. 

Quest 3: Pack - Completed

Zumba was fun, it was a better workout the second time because of less fumbling. Still a solid workout though.

Gotta get reading again.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Mmm, I'm so jealous of the amount of fish in your meals! Being landlocked is the worst. We can get good trout here though - it's probably my favorite fish-fish.

You had a totally reasonable week - with room for improvement this week :) You can do it!

Level 20

Week 4

Quest 1: Carnivore - 12/17

Quest 2: Predator - very little activity

Quest 3: Pack - failed

Weeks 4 & 5 have been pretty rough...but I don't feel like a failure, I'm not beating myself up. The IBS has struck again. I've been feeling a lot of the cramps/nausea/bloating/fatigue/chills+sweats. It's getting discouraging, 

Currently I'm trying to eat up all my 'borderline' foods (eggs, broccoli, sashimi) this week. Then next week I'll go FODMAP and egg free. Memorial Day weekend I'm taking vacation and traveling to Portland and Seattle (so excited!), so will likely just stick with dairy and gluten free. Then when I get back launch into full on elimination diet mode. I want to feel healthy again, in a way that's so much beyond numbers on a scale.

So this challenge has gone off the rails a bit. Today I dragged myself to the gym and managed to walk for half an hour at 2.0 (SO SLOW) even though the pain made me want to just lie down. Walking seemed to help a bit as it got out my 'air bubbles' aka tiny burps, but then I started getting sharp pain and gave up.

I don't want to ditch the challenge, but my eating and exercise is going to revolve around trying to feel better rather than carbs or calories or strength.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

^What she said. Getting a handle on what you should/should not be consuming to make yourself not be sick should be your focus. Figure that out, and the rest will fall into place. (well, maybe not *fall*, but you get the drift). 

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||