Becks joins the Fellowship

tumblr_mk0n2o2NdN1rwghl4o1_500.gif

My current life quest is preparing for Ragnar Trail: North Cascades. I  started my quest going There and Back Again, and it’s time for the second chapter: the Fellowship of the Ring (Shire to Falls of Rauros).

I was inspired by several other folks' challenges last time 'round, and have included a meditation/mindfulness practice in this edition. Other elements are less of a surprise - running and eating :) Notes on my accountability system to be posted shortly!

giphy.gif

1. Gandalf’s wisdom - Mindfulness is something I struggle with. I can chow down redonkulous volumes of junk food - as long as I don’t think about what I’m doing. Likewise, I can eat healthy pretty easily… as long as I don’t lose focus and *start* the munchies. When I’m staring down the barrel of a stressful situation, it’s like my mind puts my body in “stress mode†and then disconnects. My body doesn't do anything, consumes trash till it’s in pain, and my mind is in a fog somewhere else.

SO, I’m going to implement daily meditation, either in the form of meditation or yoga (with a meditation element). Focusing on my breathing, letting go of negative thoughts, and washing myself in positive energy. Every day. (+WIS)

Thanks to Darger, Roxy, and Terra for the inspiration - their last challenges were great!

tumblr_m1ayx6hqUB1qcwe9ho1_500.gif

2. Hobbits have to eat if they’re going to walk across middle earth! I’m always tinkering with my eating to build my own bulletproof system :) Of course I want to eat good stuff that makes me feel great, but I tend to throw away the day if it starts out with some junk food. What if, this challenge, I just set a threshold to stay under. Based on personal observation, FitBit, and other estimators, I think that 2000 kCal/day should be just a little below my average energy output. I’ll log what I’m eating daily using MFP. (+CONS)

On über-active days, I’ll up my intake, which will support…

tumblr_mhpa348bEd1s3uvpwo2_500.gif

3. ...Milage! I’m going to reach a 12 mile long run at the end of the challenge. (that’s scary to read!) That means adding roughly a mile to each long run. A couple weeks I won’t do a long run, but instead a couple of middle-distance runs.

My weekly FitBit average will stay above 10k steps/day (averaged weekly), which isn’t as good as the Fellowship but at least gets me roughly half way from the Shire to Rivendell (which the Hobbits walked in roughly a month). (+STA)

I do have a couple bonus projects that might receive points if they're successful :)

Battle Training (CrossFit) 3x/wk (+STR)

Push Ups, 100/day (nominally 20 every hour on the hour in the morning)... Thanks, Starbuck! (+STR)

No Bejeweled Blitz... it's a bad habit and a complete waste of time that insidiously etches its patterns into your brain. 

• Like 5

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I like the Hobbit theme. These things are really important. Good luck in this challenge!

• Like 1

Thanks, all!! Good to see y'all even though we don't start for a week :)

So, accountability. I'm going to use Seinfeld's productivity method. Here's the gist: Get a calendar. Cross off, in an obvious way, every day that you meet the minimum requirement. You just keep adding on, building a chain of X's on the calendar. After you get a few days down, it gets addicting... don't break the chain. Just one more day, add on to the chain... I got through the Burpee Challenge of a few years ago by the same method. If I can do 100 days of +1 burpee daily, this should be a breeze ;)

tumblr_mke84eN9G61s99m4bo1_400.gif

I have a handy calendar next to my desk where I will cross off in fat, coloured marker every day that I do my daily activities (meditation routine and don't over-eat (and log my intake!)). I have a digital version on Google Docs for anyone who wants to keep me honest!

Los geht's!

lord-of-the-rings-fellowship-journey-490

• Like 3

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

Welp, I forgot about my meditation goal yesterday. What a way to start out! I need to figure out a way to do penance... should getting up an hour early this morning for a meditative longboard/walk on the waterfront count? 

8a8ccc38c7cdead9a15e9307c3a54982.jpg

I would have hit my eating goal but somebody brought a steak to bed (quite literally) and it smelled so good... the bites I ate put me just a little over. I didn't eat super well earlier in the day. We were slow on support, I was bored-munching (could have used some mindfulness!), and I didn't do my mid-day walk because of the nasty sideways  drizzle. Instead I binged on sweet potato fries and got into the chocolate. Breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea... I ate them all. I think those carbs contributed to my super WOD at crossfit, followed by gym cardio... It wasn't enough to counter my inactivity from earlier in the day, but I was pretty close to my goal at the end of the day. Net +100

FTW, I did lots of push-ups yesterday!

• Like 1

That meditative walk sounds lovely :) If you think it should count you should totally count it!

I've had a rough start with my nutrition goals this challenge already too... we've totally got this moving forward though :D Sounds like you had a great work out though.  Overall a good Day 1 I think!

Day 2 = success! 

Meditation - right before bed. I need to adjust it to mid-day... at least before dinner, I think. 

Eating -  I came in a hundred low after a day of early morning longboarding, several walks, kicking a soccer ball around. Not bad for a rest day!

I don't know how I managed to eat pizza for dinner 3 days out of 6, but I think it has something to do with the quality time I've been spending with my bf's family. They really like the Papa Murphy's deals... the cost of relationship? Whenever there's a group of them, they're eating junk food. 

tumblr_mg588aTa1H1qbe123o2_500.gif

• Like 1

Day 2 = success! 

Meditation - right before bed. I need to adjust it to mid-day... at least before dinner, I think. 

Eating -  I came in a hundred low after a day of early morning longboarding, several walks, kicking a soccer ball around. Not bad for a rest day!

I don't know how I managed to eat pizza for dinner 3 days out of 6, but I think it has something to do with the quality time I've been spending with my bf's family. They really like the Papa Murphy's deals... the cost of relationship? Whenever there's a group of them, they're eating junk food. 

tumblr_mg588aTa1H1qbe123o2_500.gif

Longboarding sounds extremely fun!

I don't know how to help you about pizza, but I wonder if you fill yourself up before hand with veggies, then eat a small 'ceremonial' slice?

• Like 1

I don't know how to help you about pizza, but I wonder if you fill yourself up before hand with veggies, then eat a small 'ceremonial' slice?

I  did have veggies before the pizza all 3 days, thanks for reminding me! Carrots, salad, and an almost-salad (mostly iceberg). I'll have to aim to actually fill up on them pre-pizza, instead of the nibbles I usually do :)

• Like 2

I  did have veggies before the pizza all 3 days, thanks for reminding me! Carrots, salad, and an almost-salad (mostly iceberg). I'll have to aim to actually fill up on them pre-pizza, instead of the nibbles I usually do :)

Try to eat the veggies about 10 minutes before.  Gives the fiber a chance to expand in your stomach. 

Sir Thalianost, Level 9 Human Knight (Training as a Warrior)

STR - 24.6 | DEX - 4.1 | STA - 1.7 | CON - 15.4 | WIS - 3.2 | CHA - 4.1

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Yesterday was good, although I barely came in at goal for eating. Just a few minutes of meditation in the evening. I almost lost focus when we walked into M's parents' house and his sisters had left cookie dough on the counter... but I kept it together! Steps would have been great, but I was running late to CrossFit and jumped on a bike instead. Still, it shouldn't set my week back too much! 

Today I've already done my meditation, with a timer set so I wasn't thinking about time. Good stuff. Right now, my eating is on track with fat > protein > carbs. 

• Like 3

fat > protein > carbs. 

Does this mean you're eating more fat than protein and more protein than carbs?

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Does this mean you're eating more fat than protein and more protein than carbs?

That's what I shoot for on most low-ish activity days, although it usually turns out carbs>protein>fat. On higher activity days, I up my carb intake. I've tried a couple times to do extended workouts in ketosis, and it's usually a painful experience. 

Way to not eat that cookie dough. And you got on the bike. Doesn't sound like you set your week back at all... let alone not by much :)

Maybe I worded that badly... there was cookie dough eaten, but not to excess :) 

CF workout this morning, looks like a run this afternoon. This is going to be a higher intake day ;)

• Like 2

That's what I shoot for on most low-ish activity days, although it usually turns out carbs>protein>fat. On higher activity days, I up my carb intake. I've tried a couple times to do extended workouts in ketosis, and it's usually a painful experience.

Is that by mass or calories?

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Is that by mass or calories?

Myfitness pal breaks it down by calories. The frustrating thing about it is that it doesn't calculate net carbs (fiber = sugar?!?), and I track some of my targets (protien) in g. 

Oooh, right, updates!! The weather this weekend was so beautiful that I had a hard time sitting in front of my computer ;)

This last week has been a near-fail (after the first few  days) in the realm of meditation and mindfulness. I have been doing physical things that have focused my mind, no real mediation since mid-week. 

tumblr_inline_nlst121YCq1so8yl9.gif

I haven't kept my eating strictly under 2000kcal/day, but the days I have over-eaten or eaten über high-carb have been larger output days. For example...

Saturday I was supposed to go on a  long-ish run, maybe 8.5 miles. I rolled home after 9.7, mostly on trails, and spent the rest of the afternoon working outside. Sunday we went on adventure in Seattle, where we walked ~7 miles. In addition we rowed another 2-ish miles in a beautiful little lapstrake skiff on Lake Union!

tumblr_mgn6g0lxp71qjstdno2_250.gif

• Like 2

10 miles in hilly Seattle *shudder*. I bet it's really beautiful. Glad you had a great time.

article-2244331-165D048E000005DC-584_634