TripleBz: Spring cleaning and back on track

TripleBz

Hello All, I am TripleBz. I am a 40 years old weighing around 15 stones. I tend to fluxuate between 14-15 stones. I am already pretty active. I bike, run and have started swimming. I am training for my first TRI this summer and want to be in better shape. My main focus over the next 2-3 challenges is to feel like I am prepared for the Triathlon. I am coming off of an injury that has kept me sidelined for a month and I feel like I am losing focus and desire. I am hoping that starting this challenge that I find some motivation to start working out again. I have always leaned towards the Scouts. I am more of an endurance guy than a muscle guy. I love to bike. I have mountain biked for years and recently purchased a road bike. I have been running for about a year now. I dont love running but I do it. I started swimming about 2 months ago. I have never been a swimmer before. I am really excited to jump in and looking forward to getting to know some of you. 

Main QuestTrain, Train, Train.

Quest 1: Train for that TRI!

The TRI is getting closer each day. I want to make sure I can do the 1500M swim, 40K Bike and 10K run. Training now is important to that. (Total Days: 42)

A - 24 + Workout days (Run, Bike, Swim) (+2 STA, +2 DEX)

B - 18 - 23 Workout days (Run, Bike, Swim) (+1 STA, +1 DEX)

F - 17 days or below

Extra credit - If I do 2 Saturdays with a double workout then bonus points (+1 STA, +1 DEX)

Quest 2: Limit the soda and drink my water

I am horrible with soda, 60oz a day is normal some days. I want to limit how much I drink and replace with water. (Total Days: 42)

Drink 64 oz water daily

A - 38-42 days (+2 STA, +2 CON)

B - 30-37 days (+1 STA, +1 CON)

F - 29 or below

Extra Credit - 24 days without soda (+1 STA, +1 CON)

Quest 3: Lower Stress and Relax

I tend to dive in too much at work and find myself too committed. I get myself burned out. To fix this, I want to disconnect and take breaks to decompress. (Total days: 30)

A - 24 + days (+2 WIS, +2 CHA)

B - 23 - 18 days(+1 WIS, +1 CHA)

F - Below 18 days 

Side Quests

Post Updates for Accountability

I am going stop by every couple of days and post updates. I hope this helps me stay accountable. (+1 WIS, +1 CHA)

A - 15 + updates (+1 WIS, +1 STA)

F - Below 15 

Find a food plan

I want to find a good food plan for myself. I dont tend to do well with a regimented plan and I hate counting calories. I like to eat and if I tell myself I cannot have something then that blows me up. During this challenge, I want to find where my trigger points are and find a plan that works for me. If you have any suggestions please help me out.

• Like 1

Level 3 Scout: | STR:7 | DEX:7 | STA:5 | CON:6 | WIS:3 | CHA:3
Challenges: 4 3 2 1
Profile: Strava | LoseIt | Blog

"Please don't nag yourself with the thoughts of failure. Don't set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. Simply do what you can in the best way you know how and the Load will accept your effort." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Hey Triplebz!

Solid plan, man.

I'm with you on the food plan path. It's difficult to say no to things and be able to stick to it. I have found that experimenting with new foods (and foods I use to think I didn't like) gives me a chance to enjoy eating and practicing my decision-making around what I want to eat and what I don't. You may find it's a goal to really break into smaller steps. I started part of this journey by 'outlawing' one sugar item at a time. And, most importantly, the first several I chose were ones I rarely had anyway. That way I could get use to saying no without paying the big price up front. Perhaps that will help you out as well.

Cheers!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Week 1 Day 1 update...

Today didnt start how I planned. Being OnCall at work always has its surprises. Today was no different. The 1:30am call came and I was up for a little over an hour. Now I am tired and the bike ride I had planned tonight sounds difficult. It also made that stop for caffeine this morning impossible to pass up. 

Here is hoping that I can push past the bumps and make today a success.

• Like 1

"Please don't nag yourself with the thoughts of failure. Don't set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. Simply do what you can in the best way you know how and the Load will accept your effort." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Have you ever thought of just getting on your bike when days like that happen? So instead of having to ride 'this far,' you can just be with your bike and enjoy what it is that makes you want to ride hard on other days. Sorta like stress management and if you happen to go for awhile, it's bonus. Dunno.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Day 3 Week 1 update

The last few days have been alright. While work has been busy, I haven't gotten any middle of the night phone calls. I am definitely feeling more human again. It snowed here in fabulous Salt Lake City yesterday. It is hard to bike and run when it is 30 degrees and 4 inches of snow on the ground. I counted my workout as the 45 minutes it took me to shovel heavy wet spring snow off of my driveway. I was dumping sweat and my arms are still sore as I type this.

Saturday is the SLC Marathon. I am doing the bike tour. I will be doing 26 miles over the marathon course. I have done this the last 3 or 4 years and it is fun cruising on surface streets without having to worry about cars on the road. My biggest concern is this will be my longest ride on my road bike. The last few years I have done this on my mountain bike. Since I am doing a TRI this summer, I bought a road bike but haven't been able to ride it like I wanted to yet. I am sure I will be fine but there is a little worry in the back of my mind.

So far, this hasn't been a great week for non-soda days. I get my water in too so I will take that as a win but next week I will try harder to have some days of no soda. 

• Like 1

The snow really messed up my running schedule. Hopefully there's no black ice left on the streets during your ride. I'm  a wuss and I stay off my bike

if the roads look wet at all.

Glad work is letting you have a better sleep schedule, and shoveling snow definitely counts as a workout.

Level 7 Ranger: STR-10 DEX-2 STA-3 CON-10 WIS-2 CHA-0 | Instagram |Previous Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5| 6 | 7 | current |  Battle Log

I'm proud of you for even considering going outside in this weather at all. I'm a student at the U and most of my classes and plans for the day were forsaken the moment I looked out my window.

What I found to be helpful for me in my quest to cut out soda was finding a replacement drink, such as tea (caffeinated or non), a protein shake, or juice of some sort. Whenever I was craving soda I would turn to one of these instead. I know they aren't the healthiest of things, but you can work on that after you've cut out the soda. Baby steps! Another important thing to note is that carrying a water bottle AND KEEPING IT FILLED is also very helpful. That way, whenever you're thirsty, it's easier to reach for that bottle of water than have to go buy something from the gas station or vending machine. If you keep soda at your house/residence, stop. Make getting your hands on it so inconvenient in the first place that you're very likely to reconsider. You can take the money that you save from not buying soda and put in into  savings or investment account. I've found that linking monetary rewards or penalties to my habits is quite motivating.

But those are just suggestions! They've helped me out, but what works for you depends on you individually.  :redface-new:

Keep going strong!

KaiNicole

• Like 1

Workouts (4/18)

22.2%
22.2%

Stretch Post-Workout (2/18)

11.1%
11.1%

At Least 2 Meals (7/40 days)

17.5%
17.5%

Logged Progress (4/40 days)

10%
10%

Meditate (1/40 days)

2.5%
2.5%

Newbie | Level 2

|| STR 1 || DEX 2 || STA 2 || CON 1 || WIS 2 || CHA 2 ||

Affiliations:

The Cutlasses

Im back....

Day 2 Week 2 Update 

I survive Saturdays Bike ride. 26.2 miles in 90 minutes. That was my fastest so far and I feel so much more comfortable on the roadie bike now. My new stumbling block is swimming. I am dreading getting back in the pool. I have not gone in 6 weeks and for some reason I am dreading starting again. I know that it isnt that big of a deal and I just need to go. When the time comes to leave for Masters swim my brain says no. Seriously!!!

I made it a day last week without soda. I dont even care if I stop it all together but I dont want to feel like I am dependent on it. If I could limit it to 2 or 3 days a week I would feel fantastic about that but I am struggling there. I get my water in which is good. I used to skip the water and just drink soda. I guess I will be happy with the baby steps.

My goal this week is to get one swim in.. Come on! You can do it... 

• Like 3

Day One Week 3 Update...

Still no swimming. I got ready for a Saturday swim and went to the pool but there was a massive swim meet going on and they were closed.... Do I get points for trying? I was able to get 2 runs and  a bike ride in last week. While I am going for 3-4 workouts a week, I will take that as win. The weather didnt really cooporate last week but this week is lookng better.

I am doing pretty well getting my water in. The secret for me is to fill my water bottle as soon as I get to work. This keeps me drinking water instead of soda or nothing at all. I have also found that when I drink more water that my workouts are not as draining. I guess it is true that when you are hydrated your body responds better.

I am doing alright with this quest. I am finding that I have a harder time breaking away if I am busy working on a task. I just need to tell my self that a 10 minute break will focus my attention and get me thought some problems easier.

• Like 2

Day Three Week 3 Update...

Well last night I finally got back in the pool. Picking it back up after 6 or 7 weeks off wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I am paying for it today. My shoulders and legs are tired and sore..... Guess that is a lesson to me to keep going so you don't have to retrain.

• Like 2

Hey Trip,

Glad you found your way back to the pool. I know you've been trying to get there, so win!

When I'm busy but need that time to refresh, I call it huddling up. Like getting myself focused on what I want to work on and then recharge my body so it can keep up and then charge the line of scrimmage!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Before I head out for the weekend. I thought I would give another update.

Day 5 Week 3

I was doing some Days Until stuff the other day and I realized that I only have 12 weeks until my Triathlon. It made me freak out a bit. It was always something that felt like was way out there and it didn't concern me to much. But now.... WOW! I need to start kicking my butt into gear and making this happen. I found some good 12 week plans for Triathlon training and I think I have customized myself a good doable plan.  I started this on Monday and I am following it well except for taking Wednesday off to re-coop from overdoing it from swim on Tuesday. This week has been my best training week in the last 2 months. I have already finished 3 workouts and have 2 more planned.  

Tonight I am doing my first 10 mile ride immediately followed by a 5k run. Wish me luck. Tomorrow I am doing 45 minutes of pool time followed by a 15 mile ride home. This will be my first back to back training sessions but with only 12 weeks remaining until my Triathlon, it is time to start doing some 2-a-days. I decided that I am going to a 6 per week workout plan. Sunday will be my off day.  Here is my plan.

Sunday - Rest

Monday -  Short Bike and Run

Tuesday - Swim - 1 hr in pool

Wednesday - Short Run

Thursday - Short Bike

Friday - Bike & Longer Run

Saturday - Swim & Longer Bike

I have also started HR training. Last night I ran 4 miles straight easily by keeping my HR in the right zone. It was refreshing to not feel like I was killing myself during my run.

I am both nervous and excited to take my workout to the next level. I really want this triathlon to be successful. 

I am getting my water in but i still think I can do better. I need to get in a better habit of drinking at least 2-24 oz water bottles while I am working. I am great at water at home but horrible during work. I still am drinking too much soda. I need to start cutting back. 

I am doing alright here. My workouts actually help me lower my stress level. It is amazing to see how while you are working out you can think and process things better. I work out a lot of problems during that hour that I am out alone doing my thing. 

I am doing alright here. My workouts actually help me lower my stress level. It is amazing to see how while you are working out you can think and process things better. I work out a lot of problems during that hour that I am out alone doing my thing.

I love the feeling of working out and deciding on positive and healthy things for myself. Those endorphins are AWESOME for that.

Your training sounds great. I like the fact that you're using your HR to set your pace. I need that as well, I believe.

Have a wonderful weekend.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Day 2 Week 4

Yay!! I made it to week 4. This means I am officially a level 1 scout!

Now that I made it half way, I can see where I am doing pretty well. I am over half way on my training goal 54%. I am also over half way on my accountability goal 53%.

I need to do a little better on my water and stress goals. I am almost there but need to try a little harder.

Today starts my first week of 6 workouts. Last week I did 5 and my body was screaming at me yesterday. I was very glad to have a rest day.

• Like 2

I am still here. I am very grumpy about last week. It was terrible weather wise here and I only got 4 workouts in, 2 runs, 2 swim and no biking. It rained all day Friday and Saturday. 

I am hoping for better weather this week. 

Remember that no battle plan survives the opening engagement. A good goal will have some flexibility to it. If the weather is too bad for biking, maybe you could have a plan B waiting for you at home so you didn't have to feel like it was a total waste.

On the other hand, sometimes you need to grit your teeth and get out in that weather anyway. It might not be as deadly as you think.

Hi, by the way. Welcome to scouts.  :love_heart:

Onward to week five!

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.