These are my fingers after rock climbing today. Blood blisters from slipping off of a tiny, sharp hold. Typing isn't really fun at the moment. I'll be out of town for the weekend (hopefully) so I want to get this posted this week.

IMAG0469_zpse81xjhfi.jpg

I'm at a bit of a tricky spot where my fitness goals are really to put my training to work. I want to continue working out but I'm really more excited for some activities instead of more workouts. I've been really enjoying tracking things over that last few months and look forward to more of that. The attribute points aren't really doing much for me so I am going to table that idea for a while.

Goal Number One - Putting the winter training to work.

I really want to get out this spring and go rock climbing, hiking, kayaking, camping and/or mountaineering.

This will be points based:

Rock climbing will be based on completed pitches

Top Rope Climb - 1 point

Lead Sport Climb - 2 points

Follow Trad Climb - 2 points

Lead Trad Climb - 3 points

Hiking is 1 point per mile

Kayaking is 2 points per hour

Camping is 5 points per night, 10 points for backpacking nights

Mountaineering is 5 points for every 1000 feet climbed (either/or with hiking but not both)

This will be graded on total points amassed. I'm not sure if this is ambitious or easy at this point. Points can always be adjusted to make it harder but I don't plan to adjust them down.

Grading: 120 points - A, 80 points - B, 60 points - C, 40 points - D, <40 points - F

Goal Number 2 - Do PT Every Day

I tore my hamstring in January (which is why there is no running goal). It was mending but has slowed down. I'm just getting started with PT. I really want to get better so this is a priority. More so than any other strength training (which I have to remind myself).

Grading: 90% - A, 85% - B, 80% - C, <80% - F

Goal Number 3 - Zero Alcohol

Pretty much what it says, no alcohol at all. If anyone wants to know more about this I'm happy to elaborate but here are the top three reasons I'm making this choice: decreased risk of causing trouble in life, decreased empty calories, grand experiment. Sips are OK to determine if someone is in fact drinking the best beer they have ever tasted. More than a sample sip is a fail.

Grading: <1 drink - Pass, 1+ drinks - F

Goal Number 4 - Core Workouts

I want to keep this goal from last time. For both fitness and appearance reasons, I'd like to develop my core muscles. I'll do this workout twice per week for a total of 12 workouts with one "miss" allowed. I'll take progress pics to see how effective this is. As an added twist to last time, each week I must increase the difficulty of one or more of the base workout components.

Initial Core Workout

• 1 min plank
  • 1 min right side plank
  • 1 min plank
  • 1 min left side plank
  • 1 min plank
  • 3x15 second L-Sit on Rings
  • 3x10 Crow Pushups Knee to Same Elbow
  • 3x10 Crow Pushups Knee to Opposite Elbow
  • 3x15 Pushups

Grading: 11 Workouts - A, 9 Workouts - B, 7 Workouts - C, <7 - F

Goal Number 5 - House Projects

There are a lot of projects which need to be completed. My goal is to check four of these off of the list. New projects can be added to the list as long as they are necessary and of equal size.

• Install dishwasher
  • Caulk/spackle window trim
  • Paint gym
  • Kitchen floor
  • Kitchen/bathroom shelves framing
  • Bathroom demo
  • Kitchen/fridge wiring
  • Gym/storage wiring

Grading: 4+ projects - A, 3 projects - B, <3 projects - F

• Like 2

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Fingertip blood blisters are the worst.  Those look nasty.  

Your challenge is so ambitious!   I'm jealous that you can get outside for so much hiking and climbing.  How's the hamstring doing these days?   Is it affecting your climbing a lot, or is it not too bad?

For the core workouts, have you considered substituting some toes to bar or hanging leg raises for something else on the list?  Toes to bar are much more useful for climbing than all of the planking and other stuff.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Your challenge is so ambitious!   I'm jealous that you can get outside for so much hiking and climbing.  How's the hamstring doing these days?   Is it affecting your climbing a lot, or is it not too bad?

For the core workouts, have you considered substituting some toes to bar or hanging leg raises for something else on the list?  Toes to bar are much more useful for climbing than all of the planking and other stuff.  

I tried to make this one more ambitious. In my last challenge, I "efficiently" as Kyliewyotie called it, achieved exactly as much as I set out to achieve. My thought this time was to set the bar a little higher and see what happens.

The hamstring is just OK. It doesn't give me much or any trouble walking but running is still out. Yesterday I was trying to climb a really blank route and needed to execute a lie-back with a lot of force on my right leg which was up high. It felt like I was going to re-injure myself so I backed off. I'd say yes, it is still affecting me. :( I can do easy stuff no problem...but I'm not sure that makes me feel better.

On the core workouts, I'll look at adding those instead of some of the other exercises. Part of the goal is to improve the workout, so incorporating them might fit in very naturally.

• Like 1

tinkerer

Hello fellow climber, I'm definitely going to follow you!

You'll end up in the mountains!

Great challenge :). So much time exercising in the mountains, it sounds like a lot of fun :).

I'm really looking forward to it. Making it a goal just has me that much more excited to go do cool things!

tinkerer

The pre-challenge went pretty well! My wife and I drove to Smith Rock in Oregon for a weekend of climbing with friends. It was a long drive but the weather turned out to be very nice.

I got to lead some sport routes, include a 5.10b that challenged me a bit. I successfully put the route up but rested on the rope toward the top. I'm happy with the climb still. The next day we did some trad practice and I led a short, easy 5.6. My wife and I were really excited on the way home and I think this trip did a lot to strengthen us as a climbing team.

Outside time sounds great for this challenge! I'm looking forward to see some photos if you are gonna share!

Here is the first of what I hope turns out to be many photos! This is Smith Rock in Orgeon. Through Asterisk Pass you can see Mt. Jefferson in the distance.

IMAG0474_zpsqdgfjkhr.jpg

• Like 3

tinkerer

Very ambitious challenge!

I like it!  Oh and I have been to smith rock.  My father lived in Oregon, and I still have some relatives (kinda distant thou) there.

Mt hood, haystack rock, Oregon is an amazing place.  Beach, mountains, sand dunes, and forests all in one state!

Kyliewyotie

Level 15 Coyote Tinkerer
STR 27  DEX 18  STA 15  CON 14  WIS 14  CHA 12

Current Challenge

Very ambitious challenge!

I like it!  Oh and I have been to smith rock.  My father lived in Oregon, and I still have some relatives (kinda distant thou) there.

Mt hood, haystack rock, Oregon is an amazing place.  Beach, mountains, sand dunes, and forests all in one state!

Yeah, I feel very lucky that life encouraged me to live there for a while. I don't think I would have appreciated it in the same way without spending the years there that I was able to.

Awesome challenge dude, especially good luck with the no alcohol, I did the full six weeks last challenge and couldn't believe how much money I had left in the bank :)

More money, more time, better sleep, etc. There is really only one (very obvious) drawback.

Wow, that view is beautiful!

Very glad that your camping trip was good, hopefully more will follow :).

I'm headed to a local mountain this weekend. We'll hike in, camp on the snow, and climb it in the early morning hours.

Oh man I have so many trips I need to plan out west.  Smith Rock looks awesome!

I love it out here. It's sometimes hard to plan distant adventures because there is so much to do around here.

• Like 1

tinkerer

:) I'm in southern Indiana the adventures here are a bit more flat so my mind tends to look west. Though we have some fun stuff south of us red river gorge is not too far away

Sent from my iPhone using thumbs and Tapatalk please excuse any typos

Level 3 Zoo Lion Assassin

Current Challenge

Past: 1 2   

Purpose, it's that little flame that lights a fire under your a$$ - Princeton, Avenue Q

To Rivendell!

10.5%
10.5%

Had a great weekend adventure. Will write a bit more about it later but here are a couple of quick photos. Seven and a half mile trip and 3400' of elevation gain. It wasn't a super tough climb by any means but the point was to teach others how to do it so: success!

Sunrise from the climb:

P1020139_zpsnfqao2j8.jpg

Me at the top:

StevensPeak_zpsdcdc1nod.jpg

• Like 3

tinkerer

The longer version of this weekend:

I was helping to teach a course for the local mountaineering club. We hiked up into a mountain lake basin for the weekend and camped on the snow around the lake. Saturday we did a practice roped climb and had a local expert give a talk on avalanche awareness. I hadn't heard his talk before and it was pretty good. After hiking in with about 40 pounds of gear and then hiking up a hill to the course location, I almost fell asleep sitting in the sun on a 30% slope.

The next morning we woke up about 3am (we were one of the last teams to leave) and were climbing a bit after 4am. Had to climb before the sun really came up as the snow turned to mush quickly. My team of students climbed really well and we made the summit about 6:30. Climbed down and headed back to town. All in all, a really nice way to spend the weekend. I bunked with another assistant instructor and we're making all sorts of ambitious plans for the summer.

Challenge Update:

Points are going well, thanks to this weekend. I wanted to climb and hike last week but it wasn't in the cards. I have a bunch of after work meetings this week too so I'm not sure how that will play out.

Core workouts are also on track, as is beer avoidance. I missed the beer after the weekend in the mountains though when we stopped for a burger on the way home.

House projects are already going to be tough. We did go dishwasher shopping tonight though.

Wow!

Honestly no other words for that man!

Living in Florida, thoose mountain views look something from a movie.

Woah that looks awesome!

Thanks!

• Like 1

tinkerer

Mid-week update:

I've been really busy and not able to get out after work climbing or hiking like I was hoping to do. That needs to change in the weeks to come! Woke up this morning still tired and accomplished the assigned PT exercises but didn't have enough motivation to do the core workout. I'm still on track if I do one tomorrow.

This weekend is looking like a project weekend. I'm renting a trailer and moving the last of our junk (quality belongings) that has been in storage for the last year. Following that we may or may not get a dishwasher. So my four projects goal might actually be doable.

Also, I suggested our City join the national bike challenge and the HR/Wellness folks are super excited about it. Which is awesome!

Great mountain photos!

Thanks! Looking forward to getting out and taking more!

That instruction camp sounds awesome :). Glad to hear that your other goals are going well too!

It was a lot of fun. There is (unsurprisingly) a lot of effort required to organize 40-some students and 20-some volunteer instructors. I'm not the organizer but there are a lot of meetings that lead up to the fun part.

• Like 2

tinkerer

Loved the photos of your climb! You are lucky to live close to mountains, in the Netherlands we don't have any :P 

And you're doing great on your challenge, keep going like that!