Dekados finally gets serious

Dekados

Hi guys, time for my first challenge.

Main Quest: Lose weight while maintaining/increasing strength. I've been pretty active the last few years but I always seem to get to the cusp of getting where I want and let excuses get the better of me.

I have a massive phobia of being shirtless around people and me and the family are going away with another couple at the end of July and I'd love to be able to go to the beach without feeling embaressed.

I think a lack of discipline and consistency has been my problem so hopefully you can all help!

Quest 1: Full body callisthenics routine at least 3x a week, hopefully more. Need to get this done before In turn on the Xbox and Dragons Dogma steals my life away! Current routine is :
3 x 20 push ups
3 x 20 close squats
3 x 60 holds full bridge
3 x 20 lying leg raises
3 x 30 second holds crow stand (I'm very inconsistent on this!)

Quest 2: No or as little chocolate as possible for the six weeks. This is a real Achilles heel of mine and I'd like to beat it. Ideally nothing would be the best result.

Quest 3: Do yoga at least once a week. I've been doing martial arts since I was a teenager and I think the extra flexibility would really help. Also, destressing is always good.

Life Quest: Be a calmer, less stressed person. The yoga will help with this and I'm also reading books on meditation and mindfulness.

Motivation: My son is seven months old and I want him to grow up realizing how a healthy mind and body are important :)

Apologies for the long winded post, really eager to get started on this :)

• Like 3

Level 2 Mul Assassin

STR 3 | STA 0 | DEX 4 | CON 0 | WIS 5 | CHA 1

Current Challenge can be found here.

1st Challenge can be found here

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one"

Welcome Dekados!

We will do our best to keep you accountable and consistent! Just be sure to keep us up to date. That in itself helps a lot with being consistent, regular updates so we can light a fire under you if you need it!

With that said, we are glad to have you! I like the no / little chocolate idea. I myself have a big sweet tooth not for chocolate but other candy and it was extremely hard (and still is) to not run to the store and buy some candy and eat it all in one sitting. So I know the pain!

Let us know if you need help / have questions!

-Tixnleeches

Starting: Weight 176lbs | Bodyfat ~19% | Current: Weight 184lbs | Bodyfat ~16.5% | Goal: Weight 190-200lbs | Bodyfat 6-10%

Level 2 Human Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge : Completed.

Second Challenge : In progress.

Tixnleeches Epic Quest (Life Goals) : In Progress

Thanks Tixleeches

Chocolate has been the bane of my weight loss for far too long!  It's work that gets me, if I get bored it's a good excuse to leave my desk and go and get some, soon adds up!  Fingers crossed I can kick it to the curb :)

Thanks for the welcome, I'll do my best to keep you updated.

Dekados

Level 2 Mul Assassin

not a long winded post at all.  It helps us know who you are.

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Assassins' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Quick update on this as all due to kick off today :)

Thought I'd add some grades to the quests:

Quest 1: Workout five or more times a week: A

Workout four times a week: B

Workout thee times a week: C

Workout two or less: fail

Quest 2: No chocolate in a week: A

One piece in a week: B

Two pieces in a week: C

Three or more: fail

Quest 3: Yoga at least one a week: pass/fail

I've also added 3 x 20 let me ins to the bodyweight routine due to some great feedback from the Assassins board (thanks guys).

I'll be back later with a progress report :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Mul Assassin

Welcome to the Rebellion. Since you enjoy bodyweight workouts and cool skills like the crow, next challenge when you are ready to level up and choose a guild, the assassins may be a group you would enjoy. I am an ambassador for the assassins. Which means, we spy out for potential recruits to our guild, and will come by and cheer you on and answer questions. Feel free to PM me if you have a question, or need some encouragement.

You can go check out some of the thread of assassins and see the kind of things we do. Here are some links you can check out to see what we are up to:

The Assassin Guild Info & Announcements

The Assassins' Den guild chat thread

The Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread

The Assassin Phonebook-The Assassin Phonebook- will be up in a bit. Check on the assassins page,The phonebook is a list of what each assassin is working on so you can ask questions/get encouragement from people who are working on the same thing as you are.

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hi Elastigirl,

Thanks for the welcome, Assassins do look awesome :) Shall take a look at the links :)

The crow stand is awesome, was massively happy the first time I could even get into it let alone hold it :)

Level 2 Mul Assassin

hello Dekados! I am kinda makin my rounds seeing who else is in on this challenge for the first time :) Your mention of your son struck home with me. My sons are almost 4 and 6 and I have been trying since they were born to set good examples and hopefully set them up for success in health and fitness. It's starting to pay off! The boys say things like "Choose water" or "look at me! I'm exercising!" and people praise them for being "good eaters" (which I don't care for the phrase, but they mean well) because they eat all kinds of fruits and vegetables without a fight. It's so rewarding! Welcome to the challenge, see you at the end!

MyFitnessPal FitBit Be my FRAAAAAND????

Hey Kriket, thanks for the encouraging words. My son's definitely a big motivator in my life now. Glad I'm not the only one!

I'm following your challenge too, see you at the end with all goals complete :)

Level 2 Mul Assassin

1st day summary:

Weighed myself in the morning at came in at 175lbs. Won't weigh myself again until halfway.

Got a bodyweight workout in which was great so off to a good start. Felt generally fine, need to work on my press ups more but was happy with the crow stands as they felt more consistent.

Despite a pretty awful day at work I resisted the sweet tooth and no chocolate at all. Pretty proud of myself with that one as I could have easily fallen off the wagon there.

Onwards and upwards :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Mul Assassin

Week 1 Mini Challenge

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? Yes, should be fine.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?  I think my 3 quests should be doable, hopefully not too much.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? - Happy with  my main goals for now, I may tweak for coming challenges.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? - I'm logging my workouts and I'll keep a daily spreadsheet of chocolate consumption.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? - Grading is set out in a post above, reward will be results :)

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? - Chocolate should be fine, exercise I'll adapt to injuries (not work injured body parts, change what I'm doing).

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? - It's my wedding anniversary on 5th May, this will be a meal out but any dessert I have will count as chocolate eaten that day.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? - I don't believe they conflict

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them? - I've made time for the goals.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? - Most of my energy is main quest, I have few minor habits I want to start building.

Level 2 Mul Assassin

So time for another update.

No chocolate again yesterday despite having yet another terrible day at work (grrrrrr).  On the plus had a great pep talk from my wife when I got home so felt a million times better :)

Got up early this morning (5.30!) and did workout 2 of the week.  I've decided to scale the full bridge back a stage to still having my head on the floor as well as my hands (can't remember the name for this off hand, neck bridge?) as I'm struggling with it.  I'll build it back up in the coming weeks.

No complaint from the workout and I'm dealing with the chocolate cravings so far.

Level 2 Mul Assassin

Hi man cool goals, i'll follow you ;) I wonder where does your name come from ? I'm a fan of david gemmell's books so... Maybe you know what i'm talking about :tongue:

Ah good stuff, always good to hear from another Gemmell fan :)  Glad you got the reference :)

Thanks for the follow, I'm doing likewise :)

Level 2 Mul Assassin

I completely understand your fear of shirtlessness. I've always been the "fat" sibling/cousin/friend/barista/stranger.

Just stick to your goals, and in the future, whenever you have to take your shirt off, imagine that your Clark Kent or Peter Parker, taking off their normal clothes to reveal the super hero underneath!

Ah good stuff, always good to hear from another Gemmell fan :)  Glad you got the reference :)

Thanks for the follow, I'm doing likewise :)

If you love his work i suggest you to dig a bit about Durzo Blint and Brent Weeks if you don't know his stuff ;)

LVL 2          Vampire       

" It's about the journey."

"When ? Now. Where ? Here. Who ? Us."

Rock Solid Penguin challenge

My last challenge

If you love his work i suggest you to dig a bit about Durzo Blint and Brent Weeks if you don't know his stuff ;)

I've read the Brent Weeks books featuring Durzo, good stuff :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Mul Assassin

I completely understand your fear of shirtlessness. I've always been the "fat" sibling/cousin/friend/barista/stranger.

Just stick to your goals, and in the future, whenever you have to take your shirt off, imagine that your Clark Kent or Peter Parker, taking off their normal clothes to reveal the super hero underneath!

Heh, seems a good approach! Hopefully I'll get to a comfortable point soon :)

Level 2 Mul Assassin

Slight waver today, managed to tweak something in my hip last night at BJJ, seems ok today.  However, I was going to get up early and get workout 3 done but rolled over and hit the snooze button (for shame) :(

I'll get it done tonight, no wine for me this evening no as a mild form of punishment.

All good on the chocolate front as I'm into day four without touching any!

Level 2 Mul Assassin

Right workout three of the week completed. Crow stands were a bit rubbish tonight but just the way it goes sometimes :)

So five days in, three workouts done and no chocolate consumed. All good so far :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Mul Assassin

WOOT for resisting the chocolate! Awesome first week. Yea, I've found that with crow stands, and other skills, some  days are just off.

On the bridge, if you go to the assassins' guild and find Mad Hatter's thread, she is our resident expert backbendy person, and she may have some tips.

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

WOOT for resisting the chocolate! Awesome first week. Yea, I've found that with crow stands, and other skills, some  days are just off.

On the bridge, if you go to the assassins' guild and find Mad Hatter's thread, she is our resident expert backbendy person, and she may have some tips.

Thanks :) Resisting the chocolate has been tough but the first week was always going to be tough!

I've found that with some of the bodyweight skills some days its just not going to happen so best to not get upset about it and just try again another time.

I'll check out Mad Hatters threads, thanks for the tip :) Appreciate the support :)

Level 2 Mul Assassin

Right so 1st week conclusion time:

Bodyweight workouts: Finished my 4th workout this morning so that's a sold b this week. Pretty pleased with this :)

Chocolate: Seven days with no chocolate and I'm pretty damn impressed with myself :) Its been tough but I got there. A for this week.

Yoga: Just finished my session for the week so passed on this one. I found a youtube channel called yoga with Tim that has some beginner instructional videos that I'm going to work through.

Pretty happy with my 1st week. Onto the next :)

• Like 2

Level 2 Mul Assassin