Positive Blue - Visiting the Mud People

Challenge #4

For this challenge, I am going to build off of my last challenge's trouble spots and add some personal fun.

The continual learning is always a plus.

1) Main Goal: Attend a LARP Event

I want to LARP again and so I shall!  Plus, running around the woods beating people with plumbing supplies is fun and cardio.

There are 2 events I am looking at, one to NPC at and one to PC at.  The NPC event will be if I can make it and a simple way to get back into the feel of things.  The PC event will require a little bit of prep work. So:

1a) Build my in-character (IC) spell paths - I left as a 3 path magic user.  The updated spell list and grandfathering require I review and update.

1b) Acquire/Make Bean Bags for magic missile attacks - My old bean bags are missing and/or damaged.

1c) Get There!  PC Event: 05/22-24.  I'll be aiming for at least one day of attendance.

2) Cardio: 3x per week

Running is going to be my main focus but I already know I have a week of doom where it will likely not happen - thus the generalized cardio requirement.  However, of the 18 days of required cardio, I want 12 of those to be running days.

Cardio: 0/18

Running: 0/12

Preemptively preparing for days when running is not an option.

3) Strength Training: 2x per week

I was not happy with how I did on this last challenge.  This challenge, the aim will be for some AM strength training.  If I plan to do it before the house wakes up and the day starts, I could have better success.

Strength: 0/12

4) New Cooked Meal: 1x per week

This is for me to experiment more with cooking.  I have had fun making my crockpot soups and recently had a dinner experiment that even my husband went back for seconds with.  Here I will creating a new meal, whether Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, whatever.  As opposed to simply trying something new - which I've been doing anyway.

5) Study: 6 Hours per week

Yup, study.  I am taking a professional certification course in July.  All of my materials are at my finger tips.  Now, I just need to stay on track.  For the record, I suck at studying.  Lecture at me (like in school) and I will ace every test you give me.  Tell me to study and, well, I have to work a lot harder.  I actually didn't learn how to study until I was almost 20.  In this case, I do not have room for failure, therefore, I will turn this weak spot on its head.

This course is an independent study which is why keeping myself on track is very important.  As a plus, there is an online component that includes quizzes, practices tests, and flashcards for each topic area, allowing me to track my progress.

This challenge is a lot about me becoming who I see myself as.  On the professional side, I have put 8 years into my job, it became my career by accident.  But accident or not, it is where I am and I will succeed in my field.  Getting certified puts me in a better place professionally and will allow me to expand my skill set.  On the personal side, I need to have something that is mine without kids, without spouse, just me.  Something I can do and have fun with.

The rest just helps to get me there.

Attached is picture of me in garb at a ball many years ago (mostly because I have no later picures).

post-27344-0-30817700-1428587094_thumb.j

post-27344-0-30817700-1428587094_thumb.j

You look so cute in your garb!

You've got good, but definitely do-able challenges; let's do this!

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Great balance in the goals, and good job working in some necessary flexibility (and not sacrificing progress!)

This challenge is a lot about me becoming who I see myself as.  On the professional side, I have put 8 years into my job, it became my career by accident.  But accident or not, it is where I am and I will succeed in my field.  Getting certified puts me in a better place professionally and will allow me to expand my skill set.  On the personal side, I need to have something that is mine without kids, without spouse, just me.  Something I can do and have fun with.

Attached is picture of me in garb at a ball many years ago (mostly because I have no later picures).

More great balance.   I fell into my career as well -- life is full of turns that we did not plan for.

Tryin to figure out how to say this without any "stalker" vibe: You look fabulous in that picture.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

And don't worry, no stalker vibes picked up. :playful:

I'll try harder.

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

LARP, with the right community, is a lot of fun.

I need to work on getting my butt up in the mornings to meet my strength training goal.

Additionally, I'm also trying to organize the finances a bit.  The spouse and I are hoping to start house hunting next year, so I want to create an actual budget to start focusing the money spending.  We can pay our bills and aren't crazy spenders but there some room for cleaning up and building some cushions.  This is part of why last challenge I had a saving goal.

• Like 1

I need to work on getting my butt up in the mornings to meet my strength training goal.

You and me both.  I'll bug you about it if you check up on me.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

On the personal side, I need to have something that is mine without kids, without spouse, just me.  Something I can do and have fun with.

This is so cool to see being articulated in this way. I've met a lot of people who get kind of consumed by all of their relationships with other people. It's really inspiring to see people who are able to keep/work toward an independent defintion of self. (Not that relationships don't shape people. But, often, I feel like I see the relationship beginning to be valued above the individuals *in* the relationship.)(I'm probably projecting, but this is super inspirational for me right now.)

Fox's blog!

Current Challenge

Wandering Bard Changeling - Ranger - Level 4

STR 4 - DEX 4 - STA 6 - CON 4 - WIS 7 - CHA 5

A Year from now, you'll wish you had started today. ~Karen Lamb

Fox - I can actually blame my husband for fostering a constant independence in me.  When we starting dating I wasn't the most confident or assertive person in the world.  In our LARP, some young men would get their girlfriends to play and be "backpacks" - essentially that guys personal support caster/staff.  He didn't want to do that with me (which could have been easy) and so while we were at the same events, we never interacted on an in-character level.  It wasn't until several years into our marriage that we played the game together.  Between him and the military, I'm a different person than I was in my teens.  Part of me becoming a stronger person stemmed from knowing myself with all the labels attached and knowing what I like inside and outside of those labels (it is a constantly evolving knowledge).

It is important to maintain a sense of self and balance it with the relationship.

• Like 2

Today, I ran.  I also pushed myself a bit hard seeing as I've been coughing for about 2 hours now - yay exercise induced asthma! (It's really more of a nuisance than anything else).  The run felt really good.

I may have aggravated an injury though. :indecisiveness:  On Saturday while at my dad's house, I fell off the bottom step of the basement stairs and my foot/ankle have been sore since.  I iced it the first two nights and I'll definitely be icing it tonight.  So do not like falls.

My other bonus for today was the husband stopping by my work to say hi.  He was doing training for his job nearby and was released early.  It was nice to see him.  I got to show him around and one of my coworkers gave him some more in depth information on our products - my company is a manufacturer and everything is done in house, so product from beginning to end is there to show off.

• Like 1

I'm a bit energetic today and with good reason.

My husband and I have been eagerly wanting to get a house. 

The problem is that our combined credits are a bit subpar.  Him, largely because there is almost nothing on it.  Me, because I've got things that have run rampant.  Last year, I snagged the reigns and managed to get nearly every negative item corrected/under control.  Big Plus there.  There are now 3 items that need to be taken care of for my credit report to be exactly where it needs to be.  There were 4 items, one was paid off last month.  Today, I've got one of those items taken care of and on a payment plan plus I was approved for a credit card.  I haven't had my own credit card in years, I was shocked. 

My remaining two negative items will be removed within the year.

Next year, my car is paid off, so if I'm smart, that money will go toward eliminated the payments on the item set up today (reducing the payment plan by over 6 months), then it will be thrown into savings for house stuff.

I feel empowered. 

Ultimately, debt sucks.  Debt you feel trapped under sucks more.  Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, Amazing.

Sorry for the financial rant but it's just a huge relief.

• Like 1

Ultimately, debt sucks.  Debt you feel trapped under sucks more.  Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, Amazing.

Sorry for the financial rant but it's just a huge relief.

Congrats on moving towards no-debt! And you should be relieved! ;)

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Week 1 Recap - 04/13-04/19: Productive but not in my goals.

1) LARP Prep:  Trying to find my chemise (the one "missing" costume piece I need); did some reading of the 2015 Omnibus (Rulebook), to reacquaint myself with the basic rules.

2) Cardio: 2 Days, 1 Run; 2/18, 1/12; I used up my lunch run time to handle and resolve fiscal matters - which is a bit important.  This week will be the "no-run" week, unless I managed to hit the gym at night (a challenge due to the end of night desire to collapse).

3) Strength Training: 1 Day, 1/12; Toddler Night Terrors do not allow for a restful night's sleep.  Need to kick myself in gear better to do night time workouts when the mornings elude me.

4) New Cooked Meal: 1/6 - This was a 3 Cheese and Chicken bake that my husband saw and wanted me to try.  Turned out okay but I would do the chicken differently next time.

5) Study: 1 Hour, 1/36; Yeah...I totally wanted nothing to do with my book last week.  This week, should be a bit easier since I am on the reception desk all week and will have some free time during the day.

Last week was a mental flurry which I'm happy to be done with.  It did end nicely on the weekend though.  My son had his first soccer game of the season, which was fun to watch but you could tell the kids were on their first game.  My daughter was content to watch the game play until the warm sun made napping more convenient. 

Then on Sunday, we went to the zoo again to get out of the house, lots of walking around.  The boy was excited to see that the Budgies were out but disappointed that you couldn't feed them yet.  If we went to the zoo and did nothing but feed Budgies and play on the playground, my kids would be thrilled.

This week is starting off with a bit of fun.  Yesterday, we had Marathon Monday/Patriot's Day - the holiday that about half the state celebrates.  Due to daycare having a professional development day and school vacation starting, I stayed home with the kids for a 3-day weekend.  We enjoyed a laid back down day and had dentist appointments in the afternoon.  My son was so excited.  He was originally mad at me because the appointments were for last month and I had to reschedule to yesterday.  The dentist we go to is awesome and I've been going there for...wow...about 20 years.  Now, my son acts like he owns the place and it's his favorite doctor.

Today, my work load appears to be light so plenty of time to study and find that new meal.

• Like 3

This week is starting off with a bit of fun.  Yesterday, we had Marathon Monday/Patriot's Day - the holiday that about half the state celebrates.  Due to daycare having a professional development day and school vacation starting, I stayed home with the kids for a 3-day weekend.  

I hope the rest of your week was/is just as great!

Fox's blog!

Current Challenge

Wandering Bard Changeling - Ranger - Level 4

STR 4 - DEX 4 - STA 6 - CON 4 - WIS 7 - CHA 5

A Year from now, you'll wish you had started today. ~Karen Lamb

Week 2 Recap: Reception Week of Doom! (or boredom)

1) LARP Prep: None this week

2) Cardio Days: 1, No Runs; 3/18, 1/12 - This is kind of what I was expecting for this week.  I did make attempts to get up early.  They were thwarted by the baby having sleeping troubles.  This past week has been filled with night terrors and early rising.  Last night she decided she wouldn't sleep unless mommy was holding her.  The night terrors are slowing, she had them several days in a row, then stopped, and then only once more.  Lack of sleep so depletes motivation for early rising or end of day activities.  I might push an extra day this week.

3) Strength Training: 1; 2/12 - Not much to say here

4) New Cooked Meal: Beef Stew - It was okay but the broth came out too salty for me.  Need to modify and improve because the beef came out really good.

5) Study: 2 Hours; 3/36 - Getting used to studying again is a bit of trick but I'm getting there.  I completed my first section last week and used the online review testing, which was fun.  Seeing the progress is motivating.  The next 3 sections are smaller too, so in theory, I should be able to finish the first book this week plus all the reviews.

I feel like there should be a 6 that I'm tacking on.

This week life organization shall continue!  I've been watching Netflix a lot more lately and will be looking to cut that out of the nightly programming again.  I'm also starting to notice that I do well with To-Do Lists at work, so I'll be trying to make To-Do Lists for home - see if that keeps my head on straighter.  It's not that I don't do anything in the evenings, it's more that I need to structure them better.  Basically, when I finally plop down at the end of the night, I don't want to look around going, "oh yeah, I should have done XYZ".

Monday has started off with a bang: Meals and clothing prepped Sunday night and 1 Run down.

• Like 2

Right now, I'm feeling a bit like this challenge is a fail. 

Lately it feels a lot like I'm trying to play 10 different kinds catch-up and when I finally think "Okay, I'm good", something else happens.  We all know the saying, "If it's not one thing, it's another."  But I am so tired of it.

Of course, right now, I'm just tired no matter what.

Last week, I did my run on Monday and was ready to go. 

Tuesday, I had to leave work early, the baby was vomiting.  We went to the doctor and she had strep.  I couldn't start her on the antibiotics until Wednesday because she couldn't even hold down water.  Thankfully she slept.

Wednesday, home with sick baby. 

Thursday and Friday, worked 9+ hour days because I had 2.5 hours of vacation time and no sick time to use on the missed day and a half.

The baby also decided, she didn't like going to bed on time or sleeping.  Lots of waking up from Thursday through last night. 

On Saturday, she woke up a 3:45, I got her back to sleep (on the couch) in under an hour...I did not go back to sleep.  Repeat on Sunday morning.

Last night was a night terror followed by a wake-up.

She is old enough now that I think I'm going to try sleep training with her.  At this point, I don't think I can get more tired.

With tired also comes energy drain and no motivation. 

However:

I've managed to keep up on the studying, getting 30-60 minutes per day now.  It is also my attempt to be productive while sitting before crashing.  I've also been trying to throw in squats and push-ups throughout the day (10-20 of each at time) as something to do at work or when I feel lazy.

Today, my gym clothes are in the car and I can't take lunch until the copier repair guy shows up.  I might just tack it to the end of the day (ate lunch while working at my desk).  Then I can take it easy at the gym but still accomplish something.

I'm not giving up on my challenge.  I'm not quitting on my journey.  I'm just frustrated with what feels like a lack of progress.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get it out.

I'll do a Week 3 recap, probably tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Despite these life-challenges the universe is throwing at you, the fact that you're still getting in some form of exercise is awesome! Don't loose motivation, you can do it!

Current Challenge: 

Alright, so I need to do 2 weeks of updates here. 

In Brief:

LARP Prep: Picked my event, and now I need to approach the husband (since he'll be on child watch)

Cardio Days: 7/18; 3/12 - Very much feeling like I'm slacking on the running but it's getting there.

Strength: 4/12

New Cooked Meal: 3/6 - Skipped on week on this

Study: 8/36 - Progress on this one in a great way.  My hurdle is to remember to study on weekends.

On the baby sleep pattern: (1) Pillow + a slightly later bedtime = sleep.  As long as she gets a good nap in, it seems like we can expect 0-1 wake ups at night.  It was funny, last week I hit a point where I went, "Hey, she always elevates her head when I take her out of the crib (using my pillow, the couch arm, a blanket)"  and I figured I'd give her a pillow and see what happened.  I gave up my pillow for the night and she slept through the night.

Last night was a bit of a rough wake up and the difference on Sunday to every other day after pillow introduction was that she didn't really get a nap.  Tonight, if she resets to sleeping like last week, then I'll stick with the nap theory.

Sleep feels so good, especially after getting little and bad sleep.

Last Week, I also indulged my crafty side and it made me very happy.  I made scented bath salts for my mom and stepmom for Mother's Day and a piece of subway art for my stepmom (my mom wouldn't really care for that).  It has been a bit of a mood booster. 

I did not see either mom for Mother's Day.  The kids and I went to the zoo where they were having Star Wars Day.  Then we went to the park for a while.

We spent so much time outside, it was awesome.

The zoo was spent walking and the park was spent either chasing the baby or doing bodyweight rows off the equipment.

It was an awesome day.

Back track to Saturday and my husband rearranged the living room, with minor help from me.  The new layout is much more spatially inviting and makes the room look bigger.  Plus the kids have more room.  I'm loving it.  Next, we need to fix the kitchen.

At the end of this week, we will be getting an AC since our apartment AC only really helps in the Living Room and Kitchen.  My son won't need anything, since his room defies logic and is always cool.  This spring is warm and I heard the summer is supposed to be as much fun as our winter was.

• Like 1