Liberator goes Hot and Heavy: Challenge #11

Liberator

This challenge is inspired by heat conditioning research, see the video below.

I tried a weight-loss goal last challenge and well... I learned that doesn't motivate me and I crashed and burned on that goal.

I am all about feeling good. I enjoy how I feel after lifting and I enjoy how I feel when I am eating well and have lots of energy.

When I am lifting I eat better and sleep better. My shoulder is still sensitive and improving. I am going to be easy with it and not push too hard. I am thinking working out twice a week, once during the week and once during the weekend.

Maybe Thursday/Friday and Sat/Sun options.

12 times lifting and 12 sessions in the sauna will be the goal for the challenge.

Lifting Goals

I am starting back to an empty bar and keep learning about good form.

With 5lbs increases my goals are as follows:

Squats - 100lbs

Bench press - 70lbs

Row - 70lbs

Dead lift - 70lbs

No overhead press - too hard on my shoulder

I need a replacement for that. Maybe just dumbbell lifts?

All those goals are under my top weights from a year ago before my shoulder issue so I feel comfortable with them.

Sauna

Currently I can do 20 minutes without any issues.

During the week I will do 20-30 minute sessions

During the weekend I will work toward 30-60 minute sessions as I build up tolerance.

The sauna heat conditioning is new to me. I have used saunas thoughout my life, however this is intense use.

I don't normally do well during the hot summer days, luckily we don't get that many in Buffalo :)

So this heat conditioning could be helpful for me. In highschool playing tennis on hot days would ruin me. 

I get really red and sweaty in temps higher than 80 and nearly pass out.

Now if I run into issues I will cut back or stop.

I do already add salt to my diet on a daily basis. (Doctors orders when I was in my 20s to help with fainting spells.)

Fancy pink Himalayan salt of course!

I also take supplements and drink 2-3 bottles of Pellegrino sparkling water and some still water esp when I am working out, BP coffee in the morning and peppermint tea thoughout the day.

It is all just an experiment in wellness. :) It is a better motivator for me than a weigh-loss goal. I think I have given up on those! If I lose weigh ok if not thats ok too.

I am feeling better than ever, and I am looking younger and younger. My skin is in great shape, I still get some break out issues when I eat the wrong thing. I get red blotches on my cheeks and sometimes my whole face gets red and itchy. I am interested in the effect of sauna use on my skin. The research about growth hormones and aging is interesting as well. I will admit I love looking so young and people are shocked when they learn how old I am. So I am going to keep going with it, I am naturally young looking and I can make choices to keep looking that way.

I have lots of energy, I am in a good place mentally; spiritual development is coming along as well. I like to listen to Ken Wilber, Osho talks and meditate using Holosync and enjoy experimenting with that as well.

I am hoping this challenge is clear and simple enough that I can be successful with it.  Anything else I do will be icing on the cake. The yoga ball therapy, gratitude statements, yoga, belly dancing, diet changes (always on-going!), skin issues, the black color clothes break-up, etc... those are just extras. Of course my challenges start out with one thing in mind and ends up somewhere different. :)

We will see where this next challenge takes me! Thanks for reading this. :)

• Like 2

It is all just an experiment in wellness. :) It is a better motivator for me than a weigh-loss goal.

I am feeling better than ever, and I am looking younger and younger. My skin is in great shape, still some break out issues when I eat the wrong thing. I am interested in the effect of sauna use on my skin.

I have lots of energy, I am in a good place mentally, spiritual development is coming along as well.

I am hoping this challenge is clear and simple enough that I can be successful with it.  Anything else I do will be icing on the cake. The ball therapy, gratitude statements, yoga, diet changes (always on going!), skin issues, the black color clothes break-up, etc... those are just extras. Of course my challenges start out with one thing in mind and ends up somewhere different. :)

I have silently stalked...er followed some of your previous challenges and am happy to hear you are feeling better than ever!  I think it's great the you have evaluated a new motivator that you think will work better than a weight loss goal.  I look froward to seeing your success on this challenge even if the ideas and goals shift a little throughout it :)

• Like 1

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

I went to the gym today. It was very crowded and the barbells were all in use. It was a difficult day with Jacob so I needed to do something for self-care.

Went in the sauna for 20 min. took a 10 min. break in the hot tub, 5 more mins. in the sauna then 15 min in the hot tub.

Sauna - 25 mins

Hot tub - 25 mins.

I will try to avoid the gym on Thursdays; Fridays are usually good nights if I can get there.

Sauna - 1/12    :)

Lifting - 0/12

Gratitude: :)

I am grateful for a good trip, traveling with children can be rough but all the kids were great.

I am grateful for some time in the sauna and hot tub. Feels good after driving for three days and sleeping in hotel beds.

I am grateful for time home to organize my school year. It is a sprint until the end of the year.

I am grateful for a quiet moments with myself and a cup of tea.

I am grateful for a another challenge, I am very much a work in progress!  Happy to try some new things out.

• Like 2

Gratitude:

I am grateful for all those things that are good for me that feel so good, yoga, sauna, massages, roasted veggies, a good run, a big hug, a big laugh, a favorite song... so many enjoyable things there is no reason to not feel good each day.

I am grateful for spring and the flowering bulbs peeking out in the garden.

I am grateful for new things to learn and grow. I am saving up to take an on-line class on nutrition that I am really interested in. Looking forward to the learning challenge. I miss being a student. 

I noticed today I am much sweatier today after the sauna session. One of the effects of regular sauna use is a higher body temperature.

Saunas and hot tubs:  two things this little turtle loves!  

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

I have silently stalked...er followed some of your previous challenges and am happy to hear you are feeling better than ever!  I think it's great the you have evaluated a new motivator that you think will work better than a weight loss goal.  I look froward to seeing your success on this challenge even if the ideas and goals shift a little throughout it :)

Thanks for sticking with me!

Looks like very solid goals and great to hear that you are staying with the challenges despite the bumps in the road. Finding what you need to focus on that will also keep you motivated is excellent and a great thing to learn.

Subbed and wishing you Great Luck with the Challenge!!

Thanks! I rarely travel in a straight line. I am learning to accept my wandering and enjoy the journey bumps and all.

Saunas and hot tubs:  two things this little turtle loves!  

Good luck and have fun!

Yes, that's the idea, having fun. :)

• Like 1

Gratitude Statements: :)

I am grateful for laughter, I love to laugh and I love to hear my love ones laugh. J's laugh is the best. You know you are doing something right when you get him laughing. O laughs until he is rolling on the floor.

I am grateful for Ikea furniture. Cheap, washable and replaceable. Only chairs left to sit in and relax with a book and tea.

I am grateful for Target. A trip to Target finding a couple toys brought so much happiness to my kids. A slinky, some legos, magnetic blocks and a letter game and my boys are totally engrossed in play.

Note:

I couldn't get to the gym yesterday, I did take a hot bath, that might be an okay alternative when I can't get to the sauna.

Measurments as of 4/11/15

neck:                  13.5 in

upper arm - l/r:         11/11.5

lower arm:            9/10

wrist:                    6

chest:                  36

bust:                    42

under bust:          33

waist:                   33

hips:                     42

thigh:                    24

calf:                      14.5

weight: 157.5 lb

My weight shifts +or- 5lbs throughout the day

So there it is.

Got to the gym today :)

5x5 SL - workout B

Using SL app which is helpful!

Sauna - 20-15-5  (I seem to need a break sooner in the second session, I was getting a headache dduring the third session.)

Hot tub - 10 min (Too busy to stay long; I might skip this all together)

Sauna - 2/12  :)

Lifting - 1/12  :)

I was feeling bad about being lazy and losing touch :tongue:

Lazy is never a word I would use to describe you!!!!!! Have you read any of your own challenges?

Out of touch, no way.... you do follow a different drummer! :)

Of course who wants to be "normal" or "average" or be a person who "follows the crowd"!

You are a trailblazer! :)

• Like 1

Gratitude :)

I am grateful for sunshine, I love to see the morning sun streaming into the house as I wake up.

I am grateful for the smell of bacon and coffee.

I am grateful for the spring warmth so I can walking outside without needing a jacket.

I am grateful for being a capable person, it feels good to be good at things. 

I wanted to thank you for bringing gratitude statements to my attention.

Did them one challenge, and dropped it, but your challenges remind me of them every time.

So I decided to pick them up again.

Thank you for that, and the smiles you cause :)

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

Lazy is never a word I would use to describe you!!!!!! Have you read any of your own challenges?

Out of touch, no way.... you do follow a different drummer! :)

Of course who wants to be "normal" or "average" or be a person who "follows the crowd"!

You are a trailblazer! :)

Thank you! :)

I wouldn't want to lose my "Yoda cred".

• Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Sauna Today!

I only had a few minutes to go to the gym. I could only do one thing there so I did 15 mins then 10 mins. of sauna time. It knocks me out a bit. It feels detoxifying. I feel a bit of a headache and a icky feeling like I feel with twisting yoga poses and inversions. I broke out a little bit on my left cheek. 

Hoping to get back to the gym on Thurday to lift and get time in the sauna. Saturday will be busy so Sunday I would like to go back as well.

Sauna - 25 min. - 3/12 - :)

Lifting - 1/12

The sauna heat conditioning is new to me. I have used saunas thoughout my life, however this is intense use.

I don't normally do well during the hot summer days, luckily we don't get that many in Buffalo :)

So this heat conditioning could be helpful for me. In highschool playing tennis on hot days would ruin me. 

I get really red and sweaty in temps higher than 80 and nearly pass out.

It is all just an experiment in wellness. :) It is a better motivator for me than a weigh-loss goal. I think I have given up on those! If I lose weigh ok if not thats ok too.

I am feeling better than ever, and I am looking younger and younger. My skin is in great shape, I still get some break out issues when I eat the wrong thing. I get red blotches on my cheeks and sometimes my whole face gets red and itchy. I am interested in the effect of sauna use on my skin. The research about growth hormones and aging is interesting as well. I will admit I love looking so young and people are shocked when they learn how old I am. So I am going to keep going with it, I am naturally young looking and I can make choices to keep looking that way.

We will see where this next challenge takes me! Thanks for reading this. :)

Hmm, this heat training sounds interesting. I may have an option of moving back to Chicago and I know the winters would kill me, but maybe I could sauna in the winter to help feel warm in my bones. :) Also, anything over 80 is awful for me too! I'm going to see how it goes with you and maybe add it to a challenge in the future. 

What is your routine for skin care now? I would like to stay looking as young as possible. I know a few people in their late 60s who look like they are in their 40s and I want. I'm sure it is genes for them, but ya never know. 

I'm finding weight loss goals are really lame for me. I fail every single time. 

Good luck!

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

Hmm, this heat training sounds interesting. I may have an option of moving back to Chicago and I know the winters would kill me, but maybe I could sauna in the winter to help feel warm in my bones. :) Also, anything over 80 is awful for me too! I'm going to see how it goes with you and maybe add it to a challenge in the future. 

What is your routine for skin care now? I would like to stay looking as young as possible. I know a few people in their late 60s who look like they are in their 40s and I want. I'm sure it is genes for them, but ya never know. 

I'm finding weight loss goals are really lame for me. I fail every single time. 

Good luck!

I love Chicago! I go to an art program there in the summer for two weeks and I have a great time! Love all the art and music, fantastic! I would love to live in Chicago! It is one of my favorite cities! There are ways to enjoy winter too!

I don't do much right now for skin care. I try to eat healthy and drink lots of water.  I have tried some skin creams but they are so expensive. I use coconut oil all over my body and vitamin D3 oil around my eyes once in a while. I think your attitude and facial expression are the big factors that contribute to your perceived age. Young attitude and happy thoughts go a long way to keep you young. I'll see people from highschool (from 25+ years ago) and they are shocked because I look just like I did in highschool. People do a double take when they find out my age. Maybe it's my genes, however my brothers are not as lucky or as committed to eating healthy. Genes are not the whole answer.

I would love to lose that extra fat around my middle, I am not sure what the key is for long-tem success. I am willing to keep trying to be healthier and see what happens.

Gratitude :)

I am grateful for a fun productive day at work. I really enjoyed interacting with my students. Everyone was so happy and funny. They made me laugh all day long.

I am grateful for getting a few things off my to do list.

I am grateful for J's happiness and curiousity.

I am grateful for wise advice from a friend.