Elastigirl Unleashes the Power of Tenacity

Elastigirl

Woohoo! Looks like you are doing awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. It is so fun to post on here when I want to brag about an accomplishment, because I know you guys are all cheering me on. Your encouraging words mean a lot to me.

Great job with the KB stuff!

I feel the same way about rest days.  Maybe you need to find more active recovery things to do, just so you don't drive yourself crazy with the rest days.  Balance work is great.  Maybe juggling.  Or hooping.  Or light yoga.  

I have some yoga that is light that I enjoy, I should remember to do it.

• Like 6

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

0a4604f4e6dc1a4da9c666b55a26d68a.jpg

Congrats on two more levels crushed!  You're doing awesome!

Question:  When you started KBs did you wear anything to protect your hands?  I have a homemade sock thing I slide over the spots that hurt when it gets bad, but I'm trying to build up some calluses.  Don't know if its the norm to get gloves and train with them or just to try and toughen up your skin.

1 Tim 4:7-8 "...train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value,

godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."

Current Challenge: ... this feature is still loading ...

Previous Challenges: Commiting to CommitUnashamedCoping through HopingChillaxes

I don't want to hijack your thread with questions but your kind of the NF Queen of kettlebells and I am curious... I want to add some weight training next challenge and I bored with the body weight workout. Kettlebells sound like a lot more fun. Did you take a class first or get instruction on proper form when you started? Also, what weight did you start with? I like the simplicity of your workout. The Turkish get ups sound deliciously painful :)

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

0a4604f4e6dc1a4da9c666b55a26d68a.jpg

Question:  When you started KBs did you wear anything to protect your hands?  I have a homemade sock thing I slide over the spots that hurt when it gets bad, but I'm trying to build up some calluses.  Don't know if its the norm to get gloves and train with them or just to try and toughen up your skin.

Thanks. When I started, I did the same thing with the socks. Eventually the idea is to toughn up your hands.  I used Badger Cream for my hands, and a pumice stone to file the callouses. Now my hands are fine. http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Balm-Hardworking-Hands-0-75oz/dp/B000LZ3J9I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430097737&sr=8-3&keywords=badger+cream+for+hands

you're doing awesome!  I think next challenge I should put in some rewards.  that seems like it would be a good idea.  must start an amazon wish list stat!

Thanks. I'm having fun with the rewards. Most of them are just little things, but it is kind of fun to get prizes.

I don't want to hijack your thread with questions but your kind of the NF Queen of kettlebells and I am curious... I want to add some weight training next challenge and I bored with the body weight workout. Kettlebells sound like a lot more fun. Did you take a class first or get instruction on proper form when you started? Also, what weight did you start with? I like the simplicity of your workout. The Turkish get ups sound deliciously painful :)

I love to talk about kettlebells, makes me happy to answer  all the questions. No, I didn't take a class. People recommend that though, so it's not a bad idea, I just wasn't interested. I read Pavel's book Enter The Kettlebell and have his DVD. Watched a bunch of internet stuff. My first set was from Walmart. There were 3 KB's in the set 10 lb, 15 lb, and 20 lb. I think I started with the 15 lb.

This article has a bunch of exercises to do https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/core-training-with-kettlebells/

This  video teaches the swing and the get up

http://tonygentilcore.com/2012/07/cressey-performance-in-service-get-upswing-tutorial/

• Like 5

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

WEEK 2 Update

Game play: I unlocked 2 levels- set a new PR for KB swings of 4 minutes and 40 sec, old PR was 6 min 40 sec

Goals:

KB workout 4 times a week-complete

Fuel: track food 4 days a week : done, did good at hitting my potassium levels and protein, a couple of days 100 or so under my calories a  couple of days about 50 over, so pretty good

Life:  Morning Routine; Bible reading, walk and dishwasher emptied yes; limiting computer time- about half the days, still struggling here

Order cushions for chairs; made a decision, I think

Other stuff: walked about 16 miles this week.Went geocaching this weekend. It was a good day. lots of hills though. 

Mini challenge; tons of squats and situps, and a few burpees. I had a great plan to do squats while I was geocahcing (something I've done before) but we hiking all over this huge hill, and my knee was still a bit cranky, so I dropped that plan. Did do situps when I returned home though.

Things that worked well
My KB swings are going great

nailed the 30 lb

I enjoyed the mini. Did enough to push myself, but not so much to interfere with my goals and life, so a good balance.

Things that I want to improve

neeed to set the timer for computer - spoiler alert I didn't do it this Monday either- time for action. If I "forget" to set the timer, then the next day I forfeit my morning computer time.

I am having a hard time with the 35lb half TGU, not sure what my plan is there.

• Like 4

Loved reading your thread, your doing awesomely well, wonderful job on all you've accomplished in just 2 short weeks, you really show the power of consistency. I've just dabbled a bit in KB, just doing swings so far- I hope your thread inspires me to finally try TGUs, they scare me :)

Mom of 4, working on getting stronger and thriving with Hashimotos using the auto-immune Paleo diet and lots of patience with my body, lover of yoga, hiking, rockclimbing and bodyweight exercises.

1st Challenge Page...bringing Katniss back :) SMASHING Success!

First Assassin Challenge...I am woman hear me ROAR

It will toughen up! Also when your technique improves there will be less friction to irritate your hands :)

• Like 3

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

The Turkish get ups sound deliciously painful :)

I love Get Ups, they really work the whole body. And you feel so strong when you are able to do them with the KB's.

• Like 1

ADVENTURER 

LEARNING TO PLAY AGAIN                                                                                        

Battle Log

Loved reading your thread, your doing awesomely well, wonderful job on all you've accomplished in just 2 short weeks, you really show the power of consistency. I've just dabbled a bit in KB, just doing swings so far- I hope your thread inspires me to finally try TGUs, they scare me :)

Thanks. This video shows a drill to get you there. No weight-you just use a shoe

• Like 3

I love Get Ups, they really work the whole body. And you feel so strong when you are able to do them with the KB's.

I love how they work the whole body. I figure if I can do those, then I will not have a problem with sitting on the floor and getting up on my own.

• Like 3

Good day today ( other than too long on the computer in the morning) Did my workout , worked in the garden planting veggies, did my GMBVitamin stuff, yoga poses, and an evening walk.

GMB move today was the bear crawl and then practice with lowering your hips and bending your arms and legs. It was sunny, so I did them in my backyard. Felt like a good stretch.

I'm struggling with upping the weight on my TGU's. I am going to do some shoe drills (see video above) for several days and see if that helps. 

WEEK 3

Monday warm up

Halo-goblet squat bridges

Swings 100 80 30# RPE 6/20  35# RPE 8- repeat same sequence

TGU 30#/35 half-fail- really still struggling with the 35lb-took a break and did shoe TGu

Then 30/35 half/30/35 half –the 35# still seems so heavy- I was progressing on these not sure what the problem is now. Practicing form helped. Maybe a couple a days a week I will switch and do them first and see if that helps.

• Like 5

I'm struggling with upping the weight on my TGU's. I am going to do some shoe drills (see video above) for several days and see if that helps. 

Check out Dr. Cobb for Z-health on you tube, he also has a blog. Sometimes if you are struggling with an exercise what you really need is a drill that helps your brain connect with the working muscle. I have one of his videos posted on my page.

• Like 2

ADVENTURER 

LEARNING TO PLAY AGAIN                                                                                        

Battle Log

Thanks for great video links! Your challenge thread is informative and inspiring! I think I will try some of the kettlebell exercises with some homemade sandbags next challenge. I'm too cheap to buy the kettlebells just yet but I love the idea of a total body workout with just a few key exercises. Efficiency makes me happy!

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"