[Yuen] XI

Yuen

I haven't found the need to modify my strength routine for quite a while. It suits me well, it doesn't take much time, I enjoy it, I am happy to continue to do it for the rest of my life. So I stopped doing 6WC's and just held steady with a battle log.

However, I tweaked my left lower back a bit over a month ago. I lay off the deadlifts and squats, and also the cable row machine, but continued all other forms of exercise.

A twist of fate (the weights belt breaking during weighted chins) caused me to test out where I was with one arm chin ups recently. The attempt (with the rotational control required) made me realise my lower back still wasn't up to scratch.

I realised I needed to actively put some time and effort into stretching, massaging and otherwise rehabbing my back into pre-injury shape. Then I figured if I was going to do some stretching, then I might as well try to add a stretching habit to my current strength routine (I had been thinking about it for a while).

With a couple of words of encouragement from some forum regulars in my battle log, and poof! I'm here for my eleventh challenge :)

Goal 1: Stretch my lower back and obliques daily.
Aim to have cured my left lower back (and oblique) twinges and pain by the end of the challenge - allowing me to return to deadlifts and squats.

Goal 2: Develop a daily stretching habit of 5 mins per day.
Aim to do 15 mins per day for the first 2 weeks, 10 mins for weeks 3 and 4, then 5 mins for weeks 5 and 6 (and for the rest of my life). Allow 1 missed day per week.

Goal 3: Achieve goals 1 and 2 whilst maintaining my current strength routine.
Aim: Continue my monthly battle log as per usual.
Video an attempt of a OAC at the end of the 6WC to assess progress
Here is my starting point:

• Like 1

Great challenge! It's really well thought out. I started a daily habit of stretching in my last challenge and it's pretty much solved the back pain problems that I frequently had. ^^

That one arm pull-up is coming along really well. It's definitely a full rep of a half-one arm pull-up! You pulled it off really smoothly too. :D

Subbed. Best of luck on your challenge! I'm expecting some badass stuff to come. ^^

Assassin - Level 3 

STR: 6 | STA: 3 | DEX: 1 | CON: 6 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 1

Challenge 1 - RESTART -  Challenge 2

Wow, you're a lot closer to the 1-armed chin-up goal than I am! I'll be watching with interest to see how you're training it (although as I'm starting from a lower point, I won't be doing exactly the same). Have you had problems with elbow tendinitis?

I hope you back does get fully better so you can get back to the other strength training you want to do!

*Following* :)

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Welcome back to the Assassins guild, Yuen!

Thanks Nymeria! It's good to be back :)

Great challenge! It's really well thought out. I started a daily habit of stretching in my last challenge and it's pretty much solved the back pain problems that I frequently had. ^^

That one arm pull-up is coming along really well. It's definitely a full rep of a half-one arm pull-up! You pulled it off really smoothly too. :D

Subbed. Best of luck on your challenge! I'm expecting some badass stuff to come. ^^

Your 1st (recruit) challenge was very inspiring to read Mandrill! Just reading it made me want to return to do my own 6WC :)

Wow, you're a lot closer to the 1-armed chin-up goal than I am! I'll be watching with interest to see how you're training it (although as I'm starting from a lower point, I won't be doing exactly the same). Have you had problems with elbow tendinitis?

I hope you back does get fully better so you can get back to the other strength training you want to do!

*Following* :)

Hey SymphonicDan! Glad to have you along.

Unfortunately I am no stranger to elbow tendonitis (specifically medial epicondylitis). I gave it to myself through too much volume (200+ pull ups a day about 6 days a week). I've done it through too much volume in a different way (training intensely both lever progressions and weighted pull ups/chin ups without enough rest days). And I've given it too myself through too much intensity before I was ready (my backpack for weighted chins/pulls broke, so I advanced to 1 arm negatives probably a couple of months too early).

I used to be invincible in my early 20s... no matter how much showing off I did on the rock climbing wall (climb overhangs without my feet, then go back down doing one arm negatives the whole way down) I never got elbow tendonitis. Now I'm 35... I just seem to injure so much more easily :(

LETS GET IT!!

Hey cmwanderin! Let's both smash this challenge!

So I had an interesting day at the gym!

The video of the OAC attempt in the original post was after I had done 21 reps of +35kg weighted chin ups, then the weights belt broke. So I was somewhat fatigued before I tried the one arm stuff.

I was interested to see what I could do if I did my OAC attempts fresh (ie before I did my weighted chin up pyramid).

So I tried 5 OAC attempts today before doing my usual pyramid.

1st attempt was standing on 4 15kg plates stacked on stop of each other.

2nd was with 3 plates

3rd was with 2 plates

4th was with 1 plate

5th and final attempt was from the floor.

Here is the video of the 5th attempt from the floor:

My left arm seems to be stronger than my right, because I've dislocated my right shoulder twice since starting at NF (June 2013) and 4 times in total in my life. I don't get full top ROM with the right arm, but I do get chin above the bar with the left.

I do an ugly ugly kip to get that top ROM with the left hand because by my 5th attempt I was slightly fatigued.

When I was fresher on my 2nd attempt, I got a pretty good left hand top ROM (see video below, about 2/3 way through):

On my next vertical pull training day, I'm going to try some OACs straight from the floor as the first thing I do (after warm up).

Hopefully I get one that I can call a full rep without too much kip at the top! (Then I can finally make my maiden post in the Woot Room... lol)

(NB I realise that this is not from a fully relaxed deadhang. Even on my attempts from the floor, I tighten my shoulder first, before lifting my feet completely off the ground. My shoulder is now too unstable for me to risk anything from a fully relaxed deadhang. This does significantly make the motion easier, and is not the 'purest' of OAC forms... but I prefer no injury to perfect form)

Oh... and then I did my weighted chin ups, and broke another weights belt.

I am seriously getting lucky not injuring myself when the belt breaks. This time the weights hit the ground, but also scraped skin off my left ankle... I'm lucky I didn't smash my toes off or something really.

So yeah, I went to the local weightlifting store before lunch and bought my own personal heavy duty weighted dips and chin up belt. No more stinky decaying breakable gym belts for me!

• Like 2

I used to be invincible in my early 20s... no matter how much showing off I did on the rock climbing wall (climb overhangs without my feet, then go back down doing one arm negatives the whole way down) I never got elbow tendonitis. Now I'm 35... I just seem to injure so much more easily :(

Hey cmwanderin! Let's both smash this challenge!

At 32, I am right there with you man! Takes so much longer to heal everything, whether it's injuries or just DOMS. I have found a lot more positives with maturity though. I have been able to accomplish so much more in the past several years then the rest of my life combined. The discipline, self confidence, focus, and wisdom that has come with maturity has me really digging my 30's and looking forward to what I can still accomplish.

We shall indeed get out there with our aging joints and completely DESTROY this challenge!! 

And that OAC is looking solid!

Good work! Looks to me like you have the lat strength for the 1APUs, and the grip strength, but not the arm strength. Justification: if you look carefully at the motion (left arm as it's your strongest - 0:43 in the first video) your arm has not even bent to 90 degrees by the time you require the kip. Until that point, your lats are doing a significant portion of the work. I think you're close to the proper 1APU (at least with your left side) but if you want to target your training more specifically, I suggest isolating the arm muscles (biceps etc.) in some way. Maybe do the weighted pull-ups with a more vertical trajectory (rather than leaning back as you lats do the first part, which is what I usually end up doing!). You won't lift as much this way, but it will emphasise the arms.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

We shall indeed get out there with our aging joints and completely DESTROY this challenge!! 

Haha! We are complaining so loud and we are only in our 30's! Imagine what we will be like in another 20-30 years time :) :)

Good work! Looks to me like you have the lat strength for the 1APUs, and the grip strength, but not the arm strength. Justification: if you look carefully at the motion (left arm as it's your strongest - 0:43 in the first video) your arm has not even bent to 90 degrees by the time you require the kip. Until that point, your lats are doing a significant portion of the work. I think you're close to the proper 1APU (at least with your left side) but if you want to target your training more specifically, I suggest isolating the arm muscles (biceps etc.) in some way. Maybe do the weighted pull-ups with a more vertical trajectory (rather than leaning back as you lats do the first part, which is what I usually end up doing!). You won't lift as much this way, but it will emphasise the arms.

Thanks for your detailed and intelligent analysis SymphonicDan!

I'm at a very similar point in vertical pulling strength and power to weight ratio to what I was at my peak in my early 20's. I had a very solid 1APU from deadhang to elbow flexion of 90. Then I required a kip to get my chin above the bar/climbing hold. My analysis then was very similar to the one you just gave (ie grip and lat strength fine, elbow flexion strength lacking). I tried progressing via increasing my elbow flexor power by bicep curl type routines. It unfortunately never worked - and I never achieved a 'perfect form' OAC. My plan this time around to tackle my weakness in the top ROM of my chin is to simply do more work in the top ROM of the chin. I was planning on doing a variation of that old climbing favourite the 'Frenchy'.

Put on weights belt. Start in deadhang. Pull up to top. Lock off at the top, lower down to 90. Lock off at 90. Pull up to top. Lock off at top. 1 rep. repeat.

So essentially adding a heap more work and time under tension in the top range of motion.

I'm not entirely convinced anymore that (relatively) weak elbow flexors are the only problem. I also believe that my shoulder extension and adduction is stronger in certain parts of the ROM (namely from shoulder 180° flexion down to ~70° flexion), and that I need to increase my power in the ~70° to 0° range).

However before I resort to that I was just going to keep progressing with my weighted chin ups pyramid (at only a moderate weight where I can do 5 consecutive reps minimum, and easily do a single chest to bar weighted rep). I'm quite happy with my progression. It is slow but safe, is not causing me elbow tendonitis, and is giving me progress.

Looks good mate...a regular stretching routine will do you a world of good. Best of luck on the challenge.

Thanks Dawsy... you puny scout!

• Like 1

Whoa Yuen, that's really great :) and from a full deadhang or not, if you get it, that's really something! Looking forward to it.

+10 points for doing the less awesome but important stretching stuff too ;)

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Haha! We are complaining so loud and we are only in our 30's! Imagine what we will be like in another 20-30 years time  :)  :)

I know right! My hope is that with the lifestyle changes made in the past several years I can better preserve my body. I want to be one of those 90 year olds still peak bagging or bodybuilding. Show the young whipper snappers (like ourselves) how it's done! That or try to show my children how it is done and live vicariously through them.

Dude you're so close! Keep it up. The stretching can do nothing but good for you.Can't wait to see if you get it. Subbed.

Thanks hoxton! Glad to have you along :)

Whoa Yuen, that's really great :) and from a full deadhang or not, if you get it, that's really something! Looking forward to it.

+10 points for doing the less awesome but important stretching stuff too ;)

Hi KB! I'm looking forward to seeing you smash out your challenge too :)

S-s-s-subbed!

I imagined that was said in a very similar fashion to:

I know right! My hope is that with the lifestyle changes made in the past several years I can better preserve my body. I want to be one of those 90 year olds still peak bagging or bodybuilding. Show the young whipper snappers (like ourselves) how it's done! That or try to show my children how it is done and live vicariously through them.

My long term hero is Jasper Benincasa, the chinning legend. He did a one arm chin up when he was 89. I want to be like him when I grow up :)

DayofLast1ArmChin.jpg

My long term hero is Jasper Benincasa, the chinning legend. He did a one arm chin up when he was 89. I want to be like him when I grow up :)

DayofLast1ArmChin.jpg

HOLY COW!! That guy is INSANE! I can't blame you. I am pretty sure I have heard of him, but never knew his feats. The last time he did un-weighted chin-ups was when he was 17, he did 130 of them!! And that was one of his lesser feats!??! I gotta try the CTI (Close To Impossible) now. 

I got to meet Gordy Ainsleigh while doing a Rim to Rim to Rim at the Grand Canyon a couple years ago. Super inspirational! He is in his upper 60's and doing the same 50 mile hike in one day that I was doing. Got to talk with him at the top of the North Rim, telling me his story and how he started the sport of Ultra-marathoning after his horse died before a race. 

Gordy_RunningShirtless.jpg

I'm with you, if I ever grow up, I definitely want to be like one of these guys!

It's so funny, coming to someplace "for nerds" and then seeing videos of seriously hot folks in here.

Thanks for the nice words! I think I've got nerd cred... played D&D and MtG. WoW from 1st day vanilla (although I've stopped now). I was really quite depressed the day Blizzard announced they canceled Titan. Out of the Big Bang crew, my wife thinks I'm the most like Sheldon... which I don't actually mind lol :)

Yup, NERD POWAAAA !!

Definitely subbed man :)

For how long have you been training for the OAC ?

Hi Mr Blint!

I've had the OAC as my main goal since joining NF in June 2013. So almost 2 years.

But I've been a real idiot and injured myself so much (2x anterior dislocation right shoulder, 1x mallet finger (snapped terminal extensor tendon), and about 3 bouts of medial epicondylitis) that I've only spent about 1 year able to actually train for OACs.

----

Here is a video I took this morning (just skip to halfway to avoid seeing me faffing around beforehand):

Would you count that as a rep?

I was baby sitting my niece and nephew today:

My niece said no.

My nephew said yes.

My wife said it wasn't bad.

In a way it doesn't matter, since I know the form/ROM could clearly be better. And I will be continuing chin up progressions to continue to improve form, ROM, and maybe eventually reps.

However, a reward I promised myself when I joined NF, was when I got an one armed chin, I would reward myself with an NF t-shirt.

What do you think? Back to the drawing board? Or get out the credit card?

I haven't posted to the woot room (since I'm not 100% sure if this counts), but I have cross posted to the animus to garner more opinions than what I would get in my thread.