The L.A.R.A. project [zenLara]

Lara

Workout today! Trying to make it up for the missing strength workout, did one today:

Warm-up

Squats 16kg. 7x7x7

Single leg lunge 5x5x5 each leg

Stairs push-ups! 3x3x3 Only 2 were real ones. The rest going fully down and going up a little bit.

Deadlift 20kg. My legs were a bit shaky after the squats (I usually do deadlift first), but managed to do 10x8x8

Supermans 20 secs x3

Wanted to do side plank, but I was already dead, so stopped there and did a long stretch.

Lots of hunger afterwards and at dinner. Now for a looooong and deep sleep!

• Like 2

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

4th week recap.

It hasn't been an easy week. Monday I started to feel very anxious and the whole week has been a fight to feel well and improve my mood. I managed to do most of things, though, and focused on relaxation and breathing.

L.A. greensmilies-028.gif

• Meditation 3/15

• Breathing 54/84

• Relaxation 50/42

• Mental rewards 114/126

• Rest moments 32/24

• Affirmations/anxiety book 21/21 exercises

• Positive things list 17/24

• Take anti-anxiety supplements 20/30

• Extra-fat 21/30

• 3 active days.

R.A. greensmilies-019.gif

• Full strength workouts 3/6

• Upperbody workouts 5/9

• Tap 5/9

• C25K 5/9

• Rest days 13/15

I am obviously having too much rest days for what I had planned, so I guess I won't be grading with an A at the end of the challenge, but I also have to respect my rest days as my body says it needs them, so I am ok. Last monday, for example, the strength workout left me exhausted and I needed two days to properly recover. I had no doms, but I was feeling extremely tired and I thought it would be better to rest a day more. As I sayed before, I was in a bad mood/low energy state the whole week, but still managed to go for a run (6th week of C25K) and to do a 20 minute tap practice followed by an upperbody workout yesterday. My stair push-ups keep improving and the first one of every set is a FROM one and the following ones I can go up a little bit. Declined planks seemed easier.

Now time to treat the wounds and keep on going. Home straight approaches!

tomb_raider_lara_croft_blood_bandages_93

• Like 2

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

You have SO much going on. I think you are doing great at moving everything forward!

Using awesome technology to communicate from anywhere.

• Like 1

You have SO much going on. I think you are doing great at moving everything forward!

I started in september, with just two things, and when they were ok, I added new ones and so on, until now. It is easier to have done it this way than the other one I had always used: trying to do everything at the same time "because everything is so important I can't leave it for later". Obviously the result was me systematically failing and starting over. This time I wanted it to be different and listened to the smart people who say "one little change at a time".

Today went for a run. It was sunny and very hot but a light breeze made it better. Until it stopped. Suddenly it was awful, and I had to stop running when there were still 2 minutes left, because I knew I would get sick if I kept on running at that temperature. When I went back home I saw I was right: 35ºC!! In may!! In fact when I went to work in the afternoon, we had 40ºC O_o  It seems it is a heat wave and that it will be like that until friday. So no outdoors time for 3 days :(

Anyway, I did many other things today: meditation, breathing, relaxation, resting, played my flute (fortunately the house has thick walls and we're fresh inside) AND ate the first strawberry of the season. My strawberry plant has survived the winter pretty well and it's starting to slowly grow tiny fruits. Raspberry cane has at least 100 raspberries coming soon, ñamñamñamñam...

My mood and energy levels have improved from last week but I've been extremely hungry the whole day. In fact, I ate a sweet potato and a trout for lunch, both really big (my boyfriend could not end his trout, in fact), and one hour later I had to prepare myself a smoothie with some egg yolks because I was starving. I was desperate tonight when I saw I had finished dinner and was still hungry. Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and I'll see in the mirror I'm Schwarzenegger.

• Like 2

40'C?! Where in Spain are you living? I've seen 40'C in Madrid (16th August 2011) but for some reason I thought you were from the north? I'm not surprised it was uncomfortable to run though :o

And I like the Spanish phrase "ñamñam..." In English we have "nomnomnom..." but that's just not as realistic :P

Good work on the training, clearly your body is responding to it extra well at the moment given your massive appetite right now!

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Way to go getting the meditation going! What are you doing? Focus on breath, body scans, or something else?

I am doing the anxiety pack at headspace, mostly focused on breath and noticing thoughts and feelings, but there is also a body scan and some cues to observe during the day (that I forget most of time).

40'C?! Where in Spain are you living? I've seen 40'C in Madrid (16th August 2011) but for some reason I thought you were from the north? I'm not surprised it was uncomfortable to run though :o

And I like the Spanish phrase "ñamñam..." In English we have "nomnomnom..." but that's just not as realistic :tongue:

Good work on the training, clearly your body is responding to it extra well at the moment given your massive appetite right now!

I don't live north Spain anymore, but I did for 10 years. Now I'm near the center, so hot hot hot in the summer and cold cold in the winter. Anyway, this is abnormal. These temperatures are common in july and august, but surely not in may. Wheather site says it will be like that until friday for most of Spain. 

-----------------

Wednesday.

Didn't have much time this morning but did a quick workout. I was in a hurry, so decided to lower a bit the difficulty and do shorter pauses. It worked.

Squats 16 kg. 5x5x5.

Deadlift 20 kg. 10x10x8

Step push-ups 3x3. 3 of them were complete, the other 3 couldn't go up entirely.

Tried coffe table push-ups again, just to see: did 6 in a row!!! :D

Side plank 30 secs each side.

• Like 1

I've been absent from the forums for a while, I've been rather busy and also fighting a slight flu/cold/whatever that luckily didn't go worse. I took 2 rest days, full rest, and then finally yesterday I went for a walk. I was feeling like I needed to walk and walk, so I went out of the city by foot and went up the nearer hills.

I took this picture of the fields:

med_gallery_26080_1320_269952.jpg

Those fields are the place I usually run through, but I don't usually go this high because the path is very steep and with loose stones. I had never walked so far from the city, and when I came up to the top I found a big flatland that went on and on. It was almost sunset, the air was quiet and you could hear clearly dozens of crickets and bumblebees. Until this guy arrived:

med_gallery_26080_1320_204959.jpg

I must say I was a bit envious of the excellent view he had riding that thing, but it was noisy. A lot. At that moment I had been walking for one hour, so decided to go home. It was a beautiful evening:

med_gallery_26080_1320_831400.jpg

And there, here is the mysterious picture:

med_gallery_26080_1320_474812.jpg

I had read some time ago about this atmospheric phenomenon when the light of the sun reflects itself on the ice crystals of the clouds producing this effect of many suns in the sky. This is not as spectacular because the three "suns" are not well defined, but it is very beautiful. What I find curious about this picture is that the sun had disappeared some minutes ago, so none of those "suns" is the real one, but a reflection of its light entirely. The second thing that has me in awe is that this light was not visible to the naked eye. When I took the picture, I was aiming for the combination of pale blue and pale rose from sky and clouds, which were beautiful enough to deserve the picture, but then I looked at the picture and saw this O_o  World is amazing.

And now, what's we've come here for? Oh, right, the 5th week recap:

L.A. greensmilies-028.gif

• Meditation 7/15 I'm doing better, but I am not sure I will finish the remaining 7 sessions this week.

• Breathing 66/84 A bit behind on this one.

• Relaxation 56/42

• Mental rewards 142/126

• Rest moments 38/24

• Affirmations/anxiety book 24/21 exercises

• Positive things list 20/24

• Take anti-anxiety supplements 25/30

• Extra-fat 26/30

• 3 active days.

R.A. greensmilies-019.gif

• Full strength workouts 4/6

• Upperbody workouts 5/9

• Tap 5/9

• C25K 6/9

• Rest days 16/15

Oh-oh, I am NOT going to A this challenge 

• Like 2

Beautiful countryside! Looks like somewhere I would like to visit. :)

And hooray for 6 coffee table push-ups! You go, girl!

• Like 1

Ah these pics are so lovely, thank you for sharing them. They remind me of growing up in the country in England. We don't have such lush and beautiful country in Oz. You're so lucky to have that on your doostep (despite the microlite!).

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

I'm jealous of your serene countryside; what a beautiful place to hike. (My hiking spots are beautiful, too, but a bit more... intense).

I'm tempted to say I can't believe how far you've come with your workouts, except I always knew you would be a success.

• Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Amazing pictures, Lara. I love Spain. We holidayed in Catalonia last summer and we went on a road trip to Andorra and I saw some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen.

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I'm jealous of your serene countryside; what a beautiful place to hike. (My hiking spots are beautiful, too, but a bit more... intense).

I'm tempted to say I can't believe how far you've come with your workouts, except I always knew you would be a success.

I don't really feel I've gone so far. I mean, I know I've done a good job this year. But somehow I keep on thinking how extremely weak I was to be working out for one whole year and still being unable to do push-ups, pull-ups, handstands... I think "I was really THAT weak, that after a year of work I am still THIS weak?". Not very positive, I know. It's better to look the path walked and not the remaining one, but sometimes is just depressing. Anyway, I won't stop, It's too late to change my mind and go back to my previous lazy life  ;)

Amazing pictures, Lara. I love Spain. We holidayed in Catalonia last summer and we went on a road trip to Andorra and I saw some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen.

North Catalonia is veeeeery beautiful! I've only been there twice but is lovely  :)

--------------------------------

Now, beginning of last week:

I have new rehearsals placed in the mornings for our next concerts and I'm short of time, plus yesterday I had this awkward feeling like I was going to faint: nausea, weakness, terrible headache... The message my body was sending me was: you have not eaten enough! But it was odd because I am eating enough. I am eating a lot. I'll try to look closer to the quantities anyway (but I am not counting calories again, oh, lord, I am not doing that, I hate it). Besides, I had this sad talk with my brother about our childhood and it was kind of too much for the same day.

But today is a new day, and I had planned to do a strength workout, so I put a bit more bacon in my breakfast, took a mid-morning snack (almonds) and went for it.

Workout:

Squats 16kg. 8x8x8!!!!

Chair dips 8x8x8!!! It felt so easy, and in fact I could do them "fast" instead of the slow motion thing I'm always forced to do. Haha, I'm Hulk!

Deadlift 20kg 10x10x10!!!

Side plank 30 seconds each side.

Elbow plank 30 seconds

I was not tired and I'd like to do something more but I was late for lunch :(

• Like 3

I don't really feel I've gone so far. I mean, I know I've done a good job this year. But somehow I keep on thinking how extremely weak I was to be working out for one whole year and still being unable to do push-ups, pull-ups, handstands... I think "I was really THAT weak, that after a year of work I am still THIS weak?". Not very positive, I know. It's better to look the path walked and not the remaining one, but sometimes is just depressing. Anyway, I won't stop, It's too late to change my mind and go back to my previous lazy life  ;)

North Catalonia is veeeeery beautiful! I've only been there twice but is lovely  :)

--------------------------------

Now, beginning of last week:

I have new rehearsals placed in the mornings for our next concerts and I'm short of time, plus yesterday I had this awkward feeling like I was going to faint: nausea, weakness, terrible headache... The message my body was sending me was: you have not eaten enough! But it was odd because I am eating enough. I am eating a lot. I'll try to look closer to the quantities anyway (but I am not counting calories again, oh, lord, I am not doing that, I hate it). Besides, I had this sad talk with my brother about our childhood and it was kind of too much for the same day.

But today is a new day, and I had planned to do a strength workout, so I put a bit more bacon in my breakfast, took a mid-morning snack (almonds) and went for it.

Workout:

Squats 16kg. 8x8x8!!!!

Chair dips 8x8x8!!! It felt so easy, and in fact I could do them "fast" instead of the slow motion thing I'm always forced to do. Haha, I'm Hulk!

Deadlift 20kg 10x10x10!!!

Side plank 30 seconds each side.

Elbow plank 30 seconds

I was not tired and I'd like to do something more but I was late for lunch :(

Well done! I think you're ready to go heavier ;)

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

Well done! I think you're ready to go heavier ;)

I've bought 8 kilos of new weights!!!!  :)

• Like 2

What kind? Dumbbells? Kettlebells? Plates?

I am not sure if the word in english is plate. I bought 4 like this, so I can add weight to the kit I already had:

Disco-Para-Pesas-De-2-Kg-20140711103244.

• Like 1

Week 6 of C25K is done! Run for 22 minutes today :)  Lovely weather!

• Like 1

Good work! :) Certainly you should be ramping up the deadlifts and squats to something where 8+8+8 is too hard.

You know how you said that the chair dips are so much easier now? That is partly because you have neurological gains for that particular action, which is the first stage for strength building. You'll be physically stronger now too of course, but it explains the sudden easiness. Last week I took a few friends to the gym for their first times, and on the bench press (30kg) they wobbled the bar around all over the place and couldn't keep its motion straight, while I can lift 60kg in a straight motion. I'm certainly not twice as strong as them - but because I've practised a lot, my muscles know how to do bench presses, and that gives me a huge advantage.

Deadlifts are more awkward, but I think you've got enough neurological gains now that 20kg is far too easy, so it's good that you can put on another 8kg now.

Strength often comes in bursts and plateaus, and you had a massive plateau at the beginning of the year when you had a sper unlucky sequence of illnesses and problems, so you probably lost some strength then. Overall it seems you've made a good amount of progress, with more to come over the next years :)

Also a random thought I had with the stair push-ups - your hands are probably slightly further forward than they would be in a normal push-up, which makes it harder, so if you're coping well with these then you're closer than you think to a real push-up! Maybe find something else (pile of books maybe?) instead of the stair, on top of which you can try push-ups with varying hand positions to find the nicest. Remember that a slightly wide arm position is usually easiest so don't do it on something too narrow!

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Good work! :) Certainly you should be ramping up the deadlifts and squats to something where 8+8+8 is too hard.

You know how you said that the chair dips are so much easier now? That is partly because you have neurological gains for that particular action, which is the first stage for strength building. You'll be physically stronger now too of course, but it explains the sudden easiness. Last week I took a few friends to the gym for their first times, and on the bench press (30kg) they wobbled the bar around all over the place and couldn't keep its motion straight, while I can lift 60kg in a straight motion. I'm certainly not twice as strong as them - but because I've practised a lot, my muscles know how to do bench presses, and that gives me a huge advantage.

Deadlifts are more awkward, but I think you've got enough neurological gains now that 20kg is far too easy, so it's good that you can put on another 8kg now.

Strength often comes in bursts and plateaus, and you had a massive plateau at the beginning of the year when you had a sper unlucky sequence of illnesses and problems, so you probably lost some strength then. Overall it seems you've made a good amount of progress, with more to come over the next years :)

Also a random thought I had with the stair push-ups - your hands are probably slightly further forward than they would be in a normal push-up, which makes it harder, so if you're coping well with these then you're closer than you think to a real push-up! Maybe find something else (pile of books maybe?) instead of the stair, on top of which you can try push-ups with varying hand positions to find the nicest. Remember that a slightly wide arm position is usually easiest so don't do it on something too narrow!

I hadn't thought about brain and muscles having learnt the movement, but you're right, there is an ability element here. I'll try to add weight to deadlift and squat next time, but I am not sure how to improve chair dips. I tried to put my legs on another chair but it's not comfortable at all. I thought I could place myself between two chairs and go down without using my legs, but I am pretty sure the chairs will move or fall.

Maybe you are right about my hands/head position in push-ups, I'll take a closer look. The first step of the stairs is long and wide enough to have a good position, but maybe I am having my head a bit backwards. Anyway, I think next week I'll finally try the real thing, even if it's only negatives.

Thanks for the new perspective :)

-------------------

Yesterday afternoon I had again this fainting feeling, but luckily I had brought a snack and it stopped the bad sensations. This confirmed my feeling that this is all about not eating enough. But my boyfriend is starting to realize that no matter how much food we buy, fridge is always empty  :huh:  What am I going to do?  :dejection:

• Like 1

Haha! Everybody starts off weak, of course! And, no; say instead that you were really THAT weak and now you're THIS strong :D

• Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Haha! Everybody starts off weak, of course! And, no; say instead that you were really THAT weak and now you're THIS strong :D

You are a sweetheart! :)

-----------

Yesterday felt like walking again: 15 km O_o