Worth investing in a FitBit?

Hi all,

I have for a very long time been interested in investing in a Fitbit. I am now ready to take the plunge and buy one.

However, I would like to know how well it plays with bodyweight and weight training exercises, especially Nerd Fitness specific training?

Is the stats accurate? How do you find the Fitbit app and other integrations?

Would really appreciate some feedback.

Chris Brooks

<Chris2Brooks>

Level 1 (RESPAWNED) - Elf Assassin

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | Twitter | Duolingo

Hi all,

I have for a very long time been interested in investing in a Fitbit. I am now ready to take the plunge and buy one.

However, I would like to know how well it plays with bodyweight and weight training exercises, especially Nerd Fitness specific training?

Is the stats accurate? How do you find the Fitbit app and other integrations?

Would really appreciate some feedback.

You have to log strength training separately.

I find it accurate for general daily activity, but you need to log activities separately if you want the stats to be accurate.

Other than occasional hissy fits, Fitbit and MFP work very well together.

There are quite a few threads around about Fitbits.

I just asked about this on fb and a friend said she got her Fitbit Charge HR from Dick's Sporting Goods. It's normally $149, but there's a coupon (search for it on the internet) for $20 off a purchase of $100 or more. Which makes it not that much more than the Flex or Zip (which I was considering buying). I might make a trip to Dick's to check them out this afternoon. The coupon ends on 4/16/15. (Edit: The regular Fitbit Charge is $129, so this would be $109 with the coupon!)

I have a brand new Garmin Vivofit 2 that I'm returning after a week of wearing (that was $130) because it wasn't tracking my steps unless I would swing my arms. I walk a lot during the day, but I'm normally carrying stuff, so it wasn't tracking half my steps. Very frustrated. My Fitbit friends assured me that theirs are tracking properly and even track stairs (which mine doesn't do). It also has an alarm to wake you up (which mine doesn't have), and the Surge HR has caller ID. Very appealing!!

The one thing I really like about my fitness band is that it would beep at me when I had been inactive for an hour. I'm normally on my feet all day, so I was surprised when it would beep at me. It made me realize that when I finally sit down, I stay down for a long time. It was a great reminder to get up and walk around. (And as a bonus, I got more laundry done. That may make sense to some.) So although I wasn't happy with my vivofit, I definitely want something to replace it to keep me motivated to keep moving!

• Like 1

level 1 Amazon. Scout at heart, training with the Adventurers.
STR 1 / DEX 1 / STA 2 / CON 4 / WIS 4.5 / CHA 4.5

A FitBit is a pedometer. It measures steps. The Heart Rate monitor versions can measure steady-state cardio - running, brisk walking etc.

Please don't expect them to measure how many calories you burned doing pushups and weights, because they can't. No gadget can.

It also won't do cycling for the same reason. Or martial arts, dance, Zumba, a CrossFit session, fishing, archery or skydiving.

You can log these activities on MFP but they're estimates only, and for some people they will be very inaccurate estimates (big difference between the calorie burn of someone firing 6 arrows at the country fair and a semi-professional competitive archer firing off as many shots as they can in 20 minutes.)

Now you have to ask yourself if knowing how many steps you do is useful to you. To me it's vital. I walk between10-12km a day, but some days it can be as low as 6 and some days 14 depending where I'm going. I need to adjust my calorie intake to these figures whether I want to lose, gain or maintain. However, someone who doesn't walk like this, and who perhaps simply gets up and has to drive/take transport everywhere, takes the same journey everyday, and has nowhere they can actually walk to, might find the Fitbit doesn't tell them something they don't already know.

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

A FitBit is a pedometer. It measures steps. The Heart Rate monitor versions can measure steady-state cardio - running, brisk walking etc.

Please don't expect them to measure how many calories you burned doing pushups and weights, because they can't. No gadget can.

It also won't do cycling for the same reason. Or martial arts, dance, Zumba, a CrossFit session, fishing, archery or skydiving.

That's what I was worried about... 

Hopefully Atlas Wearables will solve most of that concern...

Chris Brooks

<Chris2Brooks>

Level 1 (RESPAWNED) - Elf Assassin

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | Twitter | Duolingo

How is a wrist gadget going to analyse someone's form? I don't believe it for a second :P That ranks alongside 'bodyfat scales' to me, as a product that tells fibs.

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

I was looking into Fitbit or something when I found out my iPhone 6 actually tracks steps. The newish health app tracks all kinds of stuff and can pass the info to the Fitbit app (which is free). So I've been doing that for a week. From the brief searches I've done it seems the iPhone is mostly as accurate as the wrist devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galaxy Hopper

Race: Werebear | Class: Adventurer | Level: 2

Str 0 | Dex 0 | Sta 4 | Con 7 | Wis 4 | Chr 0

Challenges: Current 1st

I used to have a regular pedometer, and upgraded to the fitbit one, mostly because I was tired of writing down my daily steps. I really like how it uploads my progress to their website, so I can see my daily steps, and my daily stairs. I also have one or two friends that have them too, and you can compete with them to see who can get the most steps weekly.

The steps are very accurate if you are doing everyday kind of stuff. I briefly used my old pedometer and the fit bit, and they were essentially the same. However, the stair counts are not perfect. I am a geologist, and I have found that when I am doing field work, the fit bit will be tricked into thinking I am doing 200 flights of stairs. I am usually just doing some pretty gnarly off trail hiking, but not climbing 200 flights of stairs by any means. It probably uses a barometer, and can get tricked into over measuring your accent. A GPS is much better (but still not great, they are horrible at determining elevation). As well, when I am driving off road (on very bumpy dirt roads), my fit bit will spontaneously think I have walked 2 miles when I have really just driven on a horrible road. When I am in the city, however, I think it is pretty accurate and am very happy with it. Just be careful with it, since it is easy to loose. 

Phobos28km the level 2 Stone giant Scout 
STR 2.4|DEX 1.1|CON 2.2|STA 1.3|WIS 3.6|CHA 0.3
Current Challenge

My family garden blog

I've got the fitbit Surge and it has built in exercises that you can indicate you are doing, weights, walking, running, just a plain old workout.  Once you stop the device from logging that it will sync up and you'll be able to view all the stuff on their dashboard online.

Here is an image from my most recent workout...  While I have no illusions that is is 100% accurate it's something to work with.

post-38104-0-95422700-1429151285_thumb.j

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. ~ Judy Garland

I have been researching on this for months and there is always the negative reviews about accuracy. I personally want something that i can sync with MyFitnesspal and control form my phone. I do weights at the gym and a lot of walking. So i would like something that can measure all that. I have seen arm bands for weight lifting, but I don't have the money to experiment to see which works well so I go by reviews and critical thinking. So far I have decided for none.

Hi there! With a discount and a work subsidy I got the Fitbit Surge and a ridonkulous price. 

Because I got it at the steep discount I LOVE it. However if I had to pay the full 250 for it I would not be a fan. It tracks steps pretty accurately, I love having a watch on my arm that I can toggle between floors climbed, steps, heart rate, distance and average calories burned. It under reports calories burned in my spin classes and lifting sessions, but I like that I can log them to the fitbit app from my wrist and it'll sync with all the other apps I have fitbit synced with. 

If you run the GPS option is pretty sweet, it gives you a run average though I've nearly faceplanted a few times trying to check it out because the pace time slows as soon as you do, it's not an average it's a real-time pace keeper. 

I still haven't figured out how to sync it to my phone after 3 months, so I can't really attest to that!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

I have been researching on this for months and there is always the negative reviews about accuracy. I personally want something that i can sync with MyFitnesspal and control form my phone. I do weights at the gym and a lot of walking. So i would like something that can measure all that. I have seen arm bands for weight lifting, but I don't have the money to experiment to see which works well so I go by reviews and critical thinking. So far I have decided for none.

You can sync Fitbit to your phone and it will measure your steps.

I do not believe there is a gadget that can accurately gauge your calorie burn from strength training. There are estimates and online calculators already, but it's not something so exact that an electronic thingy can do anything but hazard a guess.

See it this way: you don't strength train to burn calories. You strength train to get stronger. So don't worry about it. In the beginner stages the burn will be negligible. By the time your burn is considerable, you'll already have noticed the lost weight and you can start to eat back, say, 100 cals or whatever.

I have a force. It is terrible at tracking steps while running. But I dont run often and usualy take runkeeper with me so I dont care about that. I am interested in upgrading to the charge hr just to see if it does better at tracking the weight lifting and running better. I love the simplicity of the fitbit, and despite the above comment about running it is really great for day to day activity. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking.

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll

Current Challenge

Typos? - I blame the phone

I have a force. It is terrible at tracking steps while running. But I dont run often and usualy take runkeeper with me so I dont care about that. I am interested in upgrading to the charge hr just to see if it does better at tracking the weight lifting and running better. I love the simplicity of the fitbit, and despite the above comment about running it is really great for day to day activity. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking.

Even the surge doesn't track weightlifting accurately so I wouldn't hang too much hope there.

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can sync Fitbit to your phone and it will measure your steps.

I do not believe there is a gadget that can accurately gauge your calorie burn from strength training. There are estimates and online calculators already, but it's not something so exact that an electronic thingy can do anything but hazard a guess.

See it this way: you don't strength train to burn calories. You strength train to get stronger. So don't worry about it. In the beginner stages the burn will be negligible. By the time your burn is considerable, you'll already have noticed the lost weight and you can start to eat back, say, 100 cals or whatever.

Thanks, the jawbone up3 and probably the up4 and up2 can tell or maybe jsut guess calories burned from skin sensors, sweat and other sensors that it has mixed in, I guess that helps to track calories in and out but then they change the hr monitor to a resting Hr monitor.

I have seen about two other that arm more arm bands than wrist bands for strength training to help with how much weight, speed and reps for optimal results but those are geared towards athletes and their coach.

Currently waiting for reviews for the Jawbone new line.

I wonder id I'll be able to tell resting and active heart rate, cause at the gym or when i work out at the park when I mistake my heartbeat with tapping on my chest that's when i know i need to stop for a bit.

Has anyone had problems with their Fitbit pooping out on 'em after a few months?

• Like 1

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

Contact customer service they replace it for you no problem. 

Rad, thanks!

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

Even the surge doesn't track weightlifting accurately so I wouldn't hang too much hope there.

Nothing does. It is not technically feasible to measure. Aerobic exercise burn can't be directly measured either, however oxygen consumption has a strong relationship and that can be feasibly measured either directly in a lab or indirectly via heartrate.

The only way to measure strength training at all is to accurately track your intake and other exercise and track your weight, then figure out how many "missing" calories there are (probably need a couple month no-strength training control period to determine your TDEE).

• Like 1

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Nothing does. It is not technically feasible to measure. Aerobic exercise burn can't be directly measured either, however oxygen consumption has a strong relationship and that can be feasibly measured either directly in a lab or indirectly via heartrate.

The only way to measure strength training at all is to accurately track your intake and other exercise and track your weight, then figure out how many "missing" calories there are (probably need a couple month no-strength training control period to determine your TDEE).

Curious to see your take on this, it's the only 'weightlifting only' tracker I've ever seen, not sure if there's a reason to that or if they've figured out to meld technology to their goals. 

http://www.trainwithpush.com/

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

Ive had a fitbit since they first came out. ive lost two due to them falling off, so I bought the surge when it first came out. fast forward 8 months and a new job and I cannot wear it at work (has blue tooth) because I cant have anything that transmits any kind of signal. So I now have a $250 watch I can only wear outside of work. initially I was quite angry, but as I have a desk job I dont do much walking around at work anyway so I dont miss out much, but it is still an inconvenience to take it off and put it back on before/after work.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"  - Conan

Quests

Ive had a fitbit since they first came out. ive lost two due to them falling off, so I bought the surge when it first came out. fast forward 8 months and a new job and I cannot wear it at work (has blue tooth) because I cant have anything that transmits any kind of signal. So I now have a $250 watch I can only wear outside of work. initially I was quite angry, but as I have a desk job I dont do much walking around at work anyway so I dont miss out much, but it is still an inconvenience to take it off and put it back on before/after work.

Does it matter that you can turn the bluetooth off? I turn mine off to preserve the battery and turn it back on when I'm out and want to sync it with my phone. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG